Sonic Youth lash out at Madonna

loomer

Not very interesting, but was surprised to see this in an Uncut feature about Sonic Youth

[After talking about U2 and Oasis]

"Madonna is more like U2 - don't you think?" Kim Gordon asks. "Talk about Botox. When she sees the new Britney video - she might as well just pack it in. She's never going to be sexy like that again."

Somewhat surprising, considering Ciccone Youth and all that. Also I don't think Madonna's ever been sexy like Britney, they're very different; Madonna's sexiness lies in power, it's an aggressive type of sexiness. Kim's essentially condemning herself and other, ahem, middle aged, women in denying M. Sad.

Guest harbors
Somewhat surprising, considering Ciccone Youth and all that. Also I don't think Madonna's ever been sexy like Britney, they're very different; Madonna's sexiness lies in power, it's an aggressive type of sexiness. Kim's essentially condemning herself and other, ahem, middle aged, women in denying M. Sad.

Madonna is a natural whore. Britney is instructed to become one.

Jaded! Look where Madonna is and where they are! Has Been's poor guys!

Uh, no. They're not has-beens. Not that they were ever a huge success, commercially-speaking.

Frankly, if I wasn't such a big Madonna loon, I'd probably be saying the same thing.

Guest nothingfails0603
Uh, no. They're not has-beens. Not that they were ever a huge success, commercially-speaking.

Frankly, if I wasn't such a big Madonna loon, I'd probably be saying the same thing.

rofl, I was thinking the same thing. When were Sonic Youth ever popstars? LOL

Guest Pud Whacker
Jaded! Look where Madonna is and where they are! Has Been's poor guys!

:rotfl:

i love kim gordon. its too bad after their fantastic CICCONE YOUTH that she would stick a knife in madonnas back. terrible. but it doesnt change how great kim and the music is.

Guest nothingfails0603

Why should Madonna hang it up because she's never going to reek of the same sex appeal she once did? That's what I don't understand, if she's not sexy, why bother? There was once a time where women all over the world would throw their panties at Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger, yet people didn't start telling them it was time to hang it up because they no longer inspire young girls to camp outside their houses and throw eggs at their wives.

They were asked about Madonna by the interviewer after they slagged off U2 and Oasis "Wonderwall is the worst song ever" :rotfl:

Don't think they were really lashing out at her, but that's what the headline of the feature said. It had a bit about all their side projects and said that Ciccone Youth was them lampooning Madge, but I don't think it was, on the whole. They knew her pre-fame and she could easily have been part of their No Wave scene.

I have the NME cover story on Madonna from 1986 which has a feature on Ciccone Youth with their "Into The Groovey" cover and they were really enthused about "Into The Groove", saying how it was a polished demo. They also liked Janet Jackson "she seems to have a weight problem though" :chuckle:

Anyway, wasn't Kim Gordon one of the stars in that Q Cash For Questions thing last year, asking Madonna about how she juggles motherhood?

Got nothing to do with being a loon or not, I could care aless or not about them not into them never will be.

It was a throwaway comment, but does speak to what A lot of people believe about Madonna, and every other "aging female sex symbol". It's particularly sad that such a silly comment comes from another woman, who should know better. If a man had said that, he would be labeled an ageist pig, and rightfully so, but as usual, women are often their own worst enemy.

Maybe i'm over-analyzing though, since she must be joking (or crazy) if she thinks Britney Spears is sexy. :crazy:

how many albums have they sold? how many top five single do they have? compare to madonna, almost 25 yrs, they have nothing!!!!!!

Guest nothingfails0603
how many albums have they sold? how many top five single do they have? compare to madonna, almost 25 yrs, they have nothing!!!!!!

OMG ROFLLMAO!!!

I am not a fan of Sonic Youth's, I think they're pretentious and nothing but noise, but come the fuck on. This is Sonic Youth we're talking about, not Nickelback. Sonic Youth have never been about selling albums. It's like attacking someone who sticks to the world of indies for not having a $200 million blockbuster behind him.

I hardly call the comments "lashing out." So she subscribes to the philosophy of aging naturally/gracefully. Big deal. It's hardly a big diss.

I hardly call the comments "lashing out." So she subscribes to the philosophy of aging naturally/gracefully. Big deal. It's hardly a big diss.

I think how it is stated, it seems a bit of a jab. But she may have not meant it that way, but what interests me is how she jumped from comparing Madonna to U2 and then in the next sentence states about Botox, Britney Spears and not being sexy like that anymore:

"Madonna is more like U2 - don't you think?" Kim Gordon asks. "Talk about Botox. When she sees the new Britney video - she might as well just pack it in. She's never going to be sexy like that again."

Maybe it was printed out of context? Maybe there was more leading up to what she said? If not, it just seems odd how she jumps from comparing Madonna to U2 and then makes a statement regarding her not being sexy??

Guest nothingfails0603
Maybe it was printed out of context? Maybe there was more leading up to what she said? If not, it just seems odd how she jumps from comparing Madonna to U2 and then makes a statement regarding her not being sexy??

I noticed that too. I didn't know Bono was trying to copy Justin's sex appeal to stay relevant. Gotta love things printed out of context

Guest Pud Whacker

theyre an underground band. not a mainstream sales act.

Americans Many Americans only care about commerciality. ^

While we're getting specific: Many Americans on pop star-oriented messageboards only care about "commerciality". The majority of Americans don't give a fuck about sales.

i notice most rock n roll, hard rock females hate madonna, just jealous

madonna i think was a bigger sex symbol than britney when she first came out, especially when "like a virgin" video came out, every straight guy loved her.