ROME - 06 Sept - FAN Reports/Pics/Videos

cosmic_system

Guest Pud Whacker
i cannot get enough of the YML performance

just listening to her sing

i'm moved every time

me too baby. :thumbsup:

and the one, upon looking at the set list, i was LEAST looking forward to.

Another great review:

From andifeel

"Just back from my 6th Sticky & Sweet Show in Rome. WOW. What can I say. As I texted Terry, i've seen Madonna 70 + times now and NEVER have I experienced a crowd like last night in Rome.

There have been some amazing crowds before - Live Earth, G-A-Y, Confessions last 2 nights in Paris, but NOTHING prepared me for the Rome show.

On walking to the VIP Entrance I have NEVER in my life seen so many Madonna stalls. Minimum of 200. Selling nothing but Madonna tat. Household goods. Jumpers. Scarves. Candles. Lunch Boxes. T Shirts. Vests. Cowboy Hats (she wore a purple one in Give It 2 Me..) Cushions. Seriously. The money was changing hands at an alarming rate. Madonna's people have really let themselves down and lost a TON of money on this tour, by keeping the merchandise inside the arena /stadium people have been buying up the illegal tat in their droves..

As im still only 5 weeks into recovery from fracturing my back, front row rushes are eluding me for this tour, so Wannabe and I gently strolled in at 5.25pm when the gates were opened to VIPs and Hot Ticket Holders only, and walked into the gold circle FROM BEHIND THE STAGE! Got a great pic which I will post later but it was fascinating to see the mechanics, Madonnas driveway at the left of the rear as you look at it .. an entirely new experience.

The Stadium itself was very old and dilapidated, certainly not as spectacular as Berlin, Wembley, Cardiff even, and they hadnt even tarped over the entire floor area -the running track was still visible which was bad as had they covered it over more people could have got closer.

THe Gold Circle was then opened to the first 3000 "normal" people. The Gold Circle itself was much smaller than Berlin or Cardiff - and they RAMMED it. It was Bad. We were directly centre onto the stage (end of catwalk) leaning against the barrier, eating melted cornettos in the sun. It was lovely!

Benny Benassi came on at 7.45pm and the crowd went loopy. Literally apeshit. You'd think that Madonna had come on stage, given everyone a signed copy of Reinvention on DVD and sung Gambler they were so happy and mental! Already when you looked behind you and saw people at the sides and the back standing to the support act, you knew this would be a special show.

As Benny finished and the sun went down, the giant pink Ms lit up and we knew showtime would be soon. Sure enough, Sugababes, followed by Phil Collins played and we knew the lights would be going down soon, confirmed as Madonna arrived and the people sat at the sides all went mad!

9.15pm ish and the Tick Tock introduction started as usual! The first thing I noticed was the roar of the crowd singing Candy Shop. No other crowd has hollered it so loud. A quick “Ciao Italia!” and we were into the Beat Goes On. “Don’t Sit There Like Some Silly Girl…” and the crowds voices were so LOUD they echo’d through the stadium. It was surreal. In no other place other than Paris have I ever encountered mass singalongs to album tracks (Gone in Bercy with 20,000 people singing it still wins for me..). Vogue is now so polished and sharp its breathtaking, and before you knew it we were into Into The Groove. Heartbeat is now either mimed or FULLY supported with a backing tape (a good thing) and Borderline is sounding better, both songs got great reactions, but not as good as She’s Not Me which again saw Madonna holding the mic out to the crowd TO SING THE VERSES and everyone singing it back!

Music was another triumph, and for once I was grateful for the stupid Rain video to catch my breath and text Terry some updates!

Devil was beautiful and Spanish Lesson – well, im finally a convert. Again, mass singalong. Confused astounded and elated! La Isla Bonita got the crowd jumping as normal and she didn’t even need to get the crowd clapping to Miles Away, they were already there doing it.

Special Madonna Concert Moment approaching : As they sat ready for You Must Love Me, a LOUD and HUGE “EVI-TA, EVI-TA, EVI-TA” chant broke out. Rather than ignore this (like she did for the confusing Happy Birthday in one other country ive been to in the last 10 days but cant remember…) she sat, nodded approvingly, then got on with the song.

4 Minutes was a triumph, as was Like a Prayer. Less jumping for Like a Prayer than in other venues until the choir part though, then Ray Of Light which was just as phenomenal as Berlin with literally everyone jumping. We even got my trademark “WHOO-WHOO” at the start AND the breakdown! So happy.

She then asked for requests, dedicated “this next song to the Pope, he loves me, im a child of God too” and did first verse, chorus, and whoa – whoas of Like a Virgin.

Hung Up now samples more Abba than before and sounded great and for once toppled Ray of Light for crowd reaction, before a triumphant Give it 2 Me which again saw her holding the mic out for the crowd to sing the verses, and as I turned to watch the crowd reaction, even the people furthest away had one arm in the air and were joining in th jumping routine.

Sadly the Italian public transport system and complete lack of any police meant that it was a rather shambolic trip back to our hotel compared to the other 5 European cities Ive been in this last week, however it meant we got to walk through hundreds more stalls in the Madonna Market and enjoy a nice chocolate doughnut LOL.

The Stadium was sold out, the only empty seats were ones that had never been put on sale as they were either restricted sightlines or for General Admission people who wanted to sit rather than stand.

Italians DO do it better. Take it from a seasoned Madonna pro. WOW.

Easily the Best Show and Best Crowd yet. By ten miles.

Wow. "

Guest Little Red

Thanks for posting the reviews :thumbsup:

We even got my trademark “WHOO-WHOO” at the start AND the breakdown! So happy.

"my trademark". LOL. Do these people ever go to other concerts? the whoo-whoo happens all the time. must be a trademark for half the population. :demonic:

Guest boytoyville

Those were AWESOME clips of GI2M! She just went apeshit with the rest of her dancers! You could tell they had a blast! I can't believe all those people throwing shit on the stage though...it was kind of funny when that shirt wrapped around her arm though when she was holding with mic out. She was like WTF lol.

It was just amazing!

"I fuckin' love Italy!" she repeatedly said.

She was on fire! I have seen her live dozens of time - and two other times in Rome - but yesterday it was just something else.

She loved every minute of it. The crowd was singing - that is shouting - every single song (including Spanish Lesson) and she ate it all up.

"I can feel your energy......I can feeeeel your loooooove.....and I'm gonna give it back to you!"

It's absolutely true....with Madonna you get what you give....the more you give, the more she gives back to you.

It was a memorable night......right before You Must Love Me......the people in the golden cirlce (including me) started to shout Evita Evita Evita.....it quickly got louder and louder and at that point the rest of the stadium picked up on it and suddenly it became a chant.....70,000 people chanting Evita Evita Evita.....she couldn't believe it....she looked up in the sky and then closed her eyes as if she wanted to make sure she could absorb all of that electricity in the air......it was such a unique, moving and chilling moment.....then she started with "Where do we go from here?" with the softest and most tender voice ever....and then it became a soft duet....Madonna and the Olympic Stadium......it's really difficult to describe in words....hopefully some video of this will surface.....the whole You Must Love Me was such a magical moment....I have never experienced a Madonna moment like this....the whole of her was in that performance....by the end she was crying (she was right in front of me) and at that very moment Monte looked towards us in front of her as if to say "Look, she's crying" and then looked back at her. The make-up on her eyes (the same as the premiere in London) had already started to melt at that point. Right before disappearing she gave one last glance at the whole stadium.....I will never forget that moment.

I just wanna say one thing to all the haters of this show.

This is a fuckin' unbelievable show. The setlist works perfectly in the live setting....in the live experience, as they say. You just have to experience it and hopefully the crowd will be able to put her in the same mood she was yesterday in Rome. You'll love every minute of it. By the way.......both Ray of Light and Hung Up worked wonders. The entire audience ate them up and she could feel it. They become huge sing-along moments.

Give It 2 Me as a closer was just da bomb......she gave all she had left. She was jumping all over the place and almost shouting over the pre-recorded vocals. It was delirium. In the end she shouted a very loud, "Graaaziieeee!" (thank-you) and started waving her arms.

There would be so much more to say but I don't know where to start from. Each song became an opportunity for this love - between the audience and Madonna - to unfold and come out. It does look like she's hungry for this type of reaction. So, people of the world.....cover her with love, energy, passion and excitement! You'll be amazed at what she's ready to give back. What an amazing artist!

One last thing about her vocals.....they were so fucking strong last night. She was in top form both physically and vocally. She must really be in a very good place these days because she was at her best.

It's really a shame that this show was not filmed for a commercial release. This would have been a big treat for all her fans. Oh well.....who knows....maybe next time she performs in Rome....considering the experience of yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if Rome showed up once again on the itinerary of her next tour.

Thank you, Madonna, and thank you 70,000-something people of last night's concert.....it was a night I'll never forget and I'll always cherish.

:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

P.S. Right before Hung Up she said....."I wanna dedicate this next song to the Pope because I know that he loves me because I am a child of Gold - All of you are also children of God - and also.......because......I am......... - the she started singing - Like a Virgin......touched for the very first time......and the entire stadium started to sing with her........over 70,000 people singing along to the entire first verse of Like a Virgin up to the chorus.......at the end she once again shouted "I so fuckin' love Italy!".....huge roar.... that that, Ratzi! ;-)

Hot stuff :clap:

Sticky & Sweet Tour: Rome Fan Report

madonnalicious reader Francesco has sent in this report about his experiences at last nights show at the Olympic Stadium in Rome:

The concert started at 9:15pm sharp, as indicated on the entry ticket. She was in great mood and shape, after the initial Candy Shop she yelled the magic words 'Ciao Italia!' and the crowd of over 60,000 roared their warmest welcome.

She told the audience that she was very happy to be there, that she was feeling all the love coming to her and that she wanted to give it back as well. The crowd's (and mine as well) favourites have been La Isla Bonita and Like A Prayer.

Loads of applause also during the 'politics' video interlude when Obama and JFK appeared on screen.

A special moment came when she dedicated Like A Virgin (almost entirely sang by the crowd) '....to the Pope. I know he loves me, because I am a child of God', she stated with pride.

Overall a great show, less theatrical than the previous ones, with great remixes of the oldies and fantastic choreography. I wish she interacted more with the crowd, whom she obviously had at her feet, just to make the event completely and even more unforgettable.