"Miles Away" USA Airplay/Sales/Billboard Charts Thread

mtzlplk

What I find interesting is that 'Hard Candy' is Madonna least pretentious album since the 80's. There is no Kabbalah talk, no 'Holier than thou' crap. This disc is for the most part Madonna wanting to have fun. I always thought if Madonna would release an album like this, radio would respond. I guess I was wrong. "Miles Away", while certainly not Madonna's best, is not a bad song. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if the song goes anywhere. Maybe it will do well at AC radio. Why in the world "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" was not released to radio will always be a mystery to me.

Guest Danny86
and according to other fans sites, like MAD-EYES.net its unlikely to have 4rth single. I supposed MA is the final one.

That info is from Guy Oseary himself, he told fans on tour that "MA" is the last single and there won't be video. But nobody ever said that Warner doesn't like the song and they refused to make the video, so I don't think you should spread fake rumours like that.

I still think the dominance of Timbaland, Pharell, Kanye etc have detracted away from what is a good album of good pop songs. The lead single sets the tone for the whole album and I don't think 4 Minutes represents the rest of the songs. These artists are from a completely different genre to hers and I think it has put a lot of people off buying the album.

MA is a good song but with no support of a video it will probably tank. The tour's left Europe now so I think any potential interest has passed for the media to tie in with the hype.

The last nail in WB's marketing coffin. :dazed:

alberto, no matter what Madonna releases, she's 50 years old- that is an important thing to remember when discussing USA prospects. I like to use the Cher comparison, even though Cher wasn't anywhere near as commercially successful as Madonna, overall. Maybe Madge can score a big hit like Cher did with "Believe"- but that was a one-off thing, as Cher hadn't had a big radio hit before that in years, and hasn't since.

Madonna is very unlikely to release an album, and score multiple radio hits in the USA- just not gonna happen at this point.

Guest superbu

I agree with Holiday Guy. I think the lead-off single from Madonna's future albums, especially if released in advance of the album, will usually do well due to sales. But her age makes her an adult-contemporary artist, whether she likes it or not, and there's not much she can do about that.

I agree with Holiday Guy. I think the lead-off single from Madonna's future albums, especially if released in advance of the album, will usually do well due to sales. But her age makes her an adult-contemporary artist, whether she likes it or not, and there's not much she can do about that.

and she alianated that format too with too much up-tempo releases. No ballad in years. She is a misfit.

Yes, she is no longer relevant to younger generations. She's married with children and a hugely famous business woman which they can't identify with. The last time she was on Smash Hits cover, it was the lowest selling cover they had had.

Hung Up and 4 M proves she can shift large units of singles but that is based on the strength of it being a good song. An album is another matter. COADF was a success as it had a return to her disco roots. HC is equally as strong songwise but the urban direction doesn't sit well with the general consumers view of Madonna, hence poor sales. Same with AL.

Then again, she is an artist who wants to enjoy her music and she is still way more successful than most artists so I suppose she should enjoy making the music she wants, the way she wants. That is her 'artistic integrity'.

Yeah, this kind of surprises me a little too. Miles Away (to me) certainly is the closest thing we've gotten in a while that resembles something that Madonna and Pat Leonard would have done, the great vocals are there, the awesome melody and smooth yet current production as well as the spanish guitar to boot! I personally love this song and thought at the very least even adult contemporary should have embraced it....oh well.

I still think the dominance of Timbaland, Pharell, Kanye etc have detracted away from what is a good album of good pop songs. The lead single sets the tone for the whole album and I don't think 4 Minutes represents the rest of the songs. These artists are from a completely different genre to hers and I think it has put a lot of people off buying the album.

MA is a good song but with no support of a video it will probably tank. The tour's left Europe now so I think any potential interest has passed for the media to tie in with the hype.

The last nail in WB's marketing coffin. :dazed:

I dont think so, I think the album works very well and has a great balance. She should have released different follow up to 4 minutes in USA.

Yes, she is no longer relevant to younger generations. She's married with children and a hugely famous business woman which they can't identify with. The last time she was on Smash Hits cover, it was the lowest selling cover they had had.

Hung Up and 4 M proves she can shift large units of singles but that is based on the strength of it being a good song. An album is another matter. COADF was a success as it had a return to her disco roots. HC is equally as strong songwise but the urban direction doesn't sit well with the general consumers view of Madonna, hence poor sales. Same with AL.

Then again, she is an artist who wants to enjoy her music and she is still way more successful than most artists so I suppose she should enjoy making the music she wants, the way she wants. That is her 'artistic integrity'.

What? I tought Confession was first she ever did disco.

HC is more back to roots.

Guest superman
That info is from Guy Oseary himself, he told fans on tour that "MA" is the last single and there won't be video. But nobody ever said that Warner doesn't like the song and they refused to make the video, so I don't think you should spread fake rumours like that.

Its obviously, theres a conflict between WB and Madonna. a legal issues or whatver is confidential , wait 'till the tour is over and the truth comes out. I do believe Madonna deserved to be treated equaly like any other artist.

YOu will see the when HC era is over, we will heard the exclusive interviews , the truth behind HC album and such.

What? I tought Confession was first she ever did disco.

HC is more back to roots.

Confession was more a back to her dance roots (from AL, although Al has some danceable songs).Anyway, she´s always had a "black" vibe, so HC is also a back to her roots album

Guest FuckBuddy

confessions was madonna going back to her roots, a case of retro disco sounding more modern and fresher than ever. HC is also a return to toots, only this time there's nothing fresh and free-spirited about it.

as for miles away, i'd be delighted if it could actually reach a decent audience in america, but the truth is it'll most probably tank. the lack of a video also means it'll go nowhere in europe, too, which is a shame, cause it's a pleasant pop tune alright. those expecting a fourth single are deluded, it's obvious this era will be over after miles away and the end of the tour.

True about AC. I don't know why "Don't Tell Me" wasn't pushed at AC radio (it did very well at Hot AC). "American Pie," "What it Feels Like For a Girl" and "Jump" are her only two AC hits of this decade ("Hung Up" charted, but after it peaked and was off the Hot 100- and it had something like 30 spins to chart there)

AC radio loves the classic oldies, though.

Guest superman

This is totally disrespectful for Madonna, first no VIDEO for MA and now no 4rth single. Obviously, WB killing the HC album. Madonna and WB has to go seperate ways. something is not right.

I wonder if she can make a video on her own...I´m sure she can, then she put´s in on youtube...and that´s it

In this day and age, why the hell doesn't she open it up to her fans to do something. There are some great videos put together by fans on youtube. Warner's even track fan videos on visitors and their locations so they are keeping track of what is going on.

The PR she could get with having a competition like that would be great, it would cost her nothing and would drive people to her site to see results!

confessions was madonna going back to her roots, a case of retro disco sounding more modern and fresher than ever. HC is also a return to toots, only this time there's nothing fresh and free-spirited about it.

as for miles away, i'd be delighted if it could actually reach a decent audience in america, but the truth is it'll most probably tank. the lack of a video also means it'll go nowhere in europe, too, which is a shame, cause it's a pleasant pop tune alright. those expecting a fourth single are deluded, it's obvious this era will be over after miles away and the end of the tour.

Eh, and I tought HC is the freshest and free spirited Madonna in ages...

Music, AL and Confessions is all about Kaballah, fame sucks M. Nothing fresh or free spirited.

In this day and age, why the hell doesn't she open it up to her fans to do something. There are some great videos put together by fans on youtube. Warner's even track fan videos on visitors and their locations so they are keeping track of what is going on.

The PR she could get with having a competition like that would be great, it would cost her nothing and would drive people to her site to see results!

that could be a great idea, even none fans will participate

i am actually no longer waiting for any shitty adds date...

she's already back in the US with sold out dates in New York...

WBR already expressed MA as the 3rd singles... BUT

despite all of this, it did not increase in plays... this will be totally ignored again... f@ck US radio...

Guest Johnkm
despite all of this, it did not increase in plays... this will be totally ignored again

I think we can safely agree on that, sad, but true