Where does “4 Minutes” rank in terms of Madonna’s most successful singles—ever?

Etips

Guest Johnkm
I dont have the figs for ww totals.

I would say

4m

vogue

In terms of overall sales, vogue has sold 6.3 million, 4 Minutes is about half that, around 3.1/3.2 million, ranking it 7th= overall, so far.

Guest dicktracy
Radio wont have been so keen to touch 4 Mins if it had not been for JT. Digital sales would have been good but without JT even they would have been less - the chart ranking and longevity of the track would have been lower. i think if Madonna did nt release a single from an album there may still a strong chance of the album going to no1 and selling 500,000 at least.

Frozen was released in a totally different sales climate - you cant compare the sales. Frozen appealled to so many different groups of people outside of Madonna fans - it made the whole era/album project look good. 4 Mins if anything appealled to non-Madonna fans but its done nothing for the album. Its just a short-term success. reagrdless of recurrent airplay Frozen did its job successfully ie selling off the new madonna whilst 4 mins if anything is doing nothing long-term and its going to be from an album which is lucky to sell a 1/3 of its predecessor COADF.

Most critics wou;ld rate Frozen way above 4 mins

We are talking about her biggest hits, not most acclaimed. Now, JT probably increased the demographics for 4 Minutes but that doesn't mean that 4M is not one of M's biggest songs ever. Even if you divided sales 50/50 it has already sold more in the US than most of her singles. Now, if you want to be technical then you should give ABBA at least a third of the sales for Hung Up... :)

Etips started the thread asking where 4 minutes stand in terms of most successful singles ever - using SINGLE SALES 4 minutes is probably in Madonna's top 3 bulldozing all but Vogue......then 4 mins might end up being above vogue soon......

Then dicktracey offers his opinion on what her biggest songs are cultural impact wise, chart sales,longevity etc.....cultural impact wise Frozen was MILLION times bigger. it was not a typical ballad - it was far too risky a release for the hip-hop and rock loving american radio - it has a lot of underground influence. it was released at a time when something was needed to divert the attention from sex-crazed madonna who was becoming a bit of a joke. Was it at the brit awards when a journalist asked her "whats next, revealing the insides of your body as we have seen everything on the outside" something along the lines of that.... and after that she released ballads, evita but was becoming a bit stale....someone mentionned the UK Radio Station BBC Radio 1 considering banning her because she was seen a past it............if you talk about cultural impact Frozen is everthing whilst 4 Mins is just bland drivel churned out by a producer who makes JT and nelly Furtado sound better....but does nothing for Madonna...culturally 4 mins is nothing but a an average modern urban american track ......

as for longevity......10 years on frozen is still remembered - might not get much recurret airplay but it is the one song that changed madonna's fortunes.....it was nt a typical drippy sweet ballad which might be guaranted success......Frozen won fans old and new....it persuaded people to invest in the album........it gave madonna credibility and respect........ 4 mins mght have been bought by 2 million people in teh USA but not even 1 in 3 were interested in the album......

Hung up used a sample ofg ABBA music Madonna did nt record a duet with them...theres a difference....Madonna was trying a style of music which may be ignored by American radio as it was one of her "gayest" records for a while.....Hung Up was Madonna alone doing her thing....radio would not have touched 4 Mins if it had not been for JT.....

if you want to answer the question of how successful 4 Minutes is - then one only has to use sales figures to answer that. Stuff like cultural impact, longevity, youtube views is irrelevant..... these are things that cant be measured or may not have any return......i dont pay to watch youtube but i pay to buy a single.......

success has also to be looked at how the project affects album sales, concert ticket sales etc......one of the best ways to measure success is by money made ........success is about the overall package....4 minutes had huge sales yet HC might just sell 1/3 of what its predecessor COADF sold

In my opinion these are her biggest songs (cultural impact, charts, sales, longevity, etc...)

Etips started the thread asking where 4 minutes stand in terms of most successful singles ever - using SINGLE SALES 4 minutes is probably in Madonna's top 3 bulldozing all but Vogue......then 4 mins might end up being above vogue soon......

Then dicktracey offers his opinion on what her biggest songs are cultural impact wise, chart sales,longevity etc.....cultural impact wise Frozen was MILLION times bigger. it was not a typical ballad - it was far too risky a release for the hip-hop and rock loving american radio - it has a lot of underground influence. it was released at a time when something was needed to divert the attention from sex-crazed madonna who was becoming a bit of a joke. Was it at the brit awards when a journalist asked her "whats next, revealing the insides of your body as we have seen everything on the outside" something along the lines of that.... and after that she released ballads, evita but was becoming a bit stale....someone mentionned the UK Radio Station BBC Radio 1 considering banning her because she was seen a past it............if you talk about cultural impact Frozen is everthing whilst 4 Mins is just bland drivel churned out by a producer who makes JT and nelly Furtado sound better....but does nothing for Madonna...culturally 4 mins is nothing but a an average modern urban american track ......

as for longevity......10 years on frozen is still remembered - might not get much recurret airplay but it is the one song that changed madonna's fortunes.....it was nt a typical drippy sweet ballad which might be guaranted success......Frozen won fans old and new....it persuaded people to invest in the album........it gave madonna credibility and respect........ 4 mins mght have been bought by 2 million people in teh USA but not even 1 in 3 were interested in the album......

Hung up used a sample ofg ABBA music Madonna did nt record a duet with them...theres a difference....Madonna was trying a style of music which may be ignored by American radio as it was one of her "gayest" records for a while.....Hung Up was Madonna alone doing her thing....radio would not have touched 4 Mins if it had not been for JT.....

if you want to answer the question of how successful 4 Minutes is - then one only has to use sales figures to answer that. Stuff like cultural impact, longevity, youtube views is irrelevant..... these are things that cant be measured or may not have any return......i dont pay to watch youtube but i pay to buy a single.......

success has also to be looked at how the project affects album sales, concert ticket sales etc......one of the best ways to measure success is by money made ........success is about the overall package....4 minutes had huge sales yet HC might just sell 1/3 of what its predecessor COADF sold

Yes, but the fact that 4M is with one of the biggest pop stars of the "new generation" (think Britney's, Christina's etc).....wouldn't that fact in itself make it kind of a memorable track years to come? And without the Abba sample HU would've been nothing.....sorry, but any remix I've heard that doesn't include that sample is terrible. The sample makes the song.

You do realize many people (outside of the hardcore fans) consider Frozen to be "techno trash" right?? In the plethora of Madonna's greatest singles (in the US at least) Frozen is not considered one of her classics.....even TAB is more well loved and remembered. No doubt it helped change the course of her career AT THE TIME. But here we are 10 years later and her fans hate her again....so ultimately did it really matter?

hung up did nt need a younger male hot property singer to get to no3. theres no doubt the abba sample is major ingredient.....frozen did nt need a major sample or another singer to help it.....

frozen has got far better reviews than 4 mins.....sales wise 4 mins is a more successful song in the usa..no one can deny it.... most people i know gay,, straight, male, female think madonna has taken ahuge step down with 4 mins....but frozen is a song they remember and respect........regardless of frozen being tehcno trash it was the song that turned madonna's fortunes.........even the uk was thinking madonna was past it.........4 minutes is just a short term success from a not very scuccessful album

both frozen and hung up were both successful not only as singles but they launched successful albums. 4 mins regardless of it selling over 2 million has not been the best way to launch HC...........an artist needs successful albums....will madonna recover the production costs from Hard Candy on record sales alone?

Guest Danny86
will madonna recover the production costs from Hard Candy on record sales alone?

She's approaching 3 million worldwide so she most likely recovered those costs already.

4 minutes is just a short term success from a not very scuccessful album

I still say that at this age a "short term success hit" is what everyone gets. You don't really get "classic" songs from chart toppers, do you? I believe "4 Minutes" was still more than that. Short term success would be something like "Erotica" which shot to the top of airplay (!) charts and then sales but failed to get #1 anywhere and then dropped like a rock. It probably caused an initial interest for the album, but that faded away more quickly than the effect of "4 Minutes".

Guest dicktracy

The era of the LP is close to over. This format has very few hits nowadays. It works mostly for new artists (Lil Wayne, Leona Lewis, Daughtry), rock and urban acts with a broad and solid fan base (Coldplay, Nickelback, Jack Johnson, Eagles, Kanye, Mariah, JT) , Disney acts (Miley, HSM, Jonas Bros), and country (Carrie Underwood). When it comes to pop music, younger people want singles not LPs. Remember that LPs were something that really took on in the 70's and became huge in the 80's with Purple Rain and Thriller. Record companies could make much more money from them so they almost got rid of singles in the 90's. A leading single by itself will not sell an album anymore. Albums will sell themselves. The majority of the public would not have bought an album by Natalie Imbruglia or Meredith Brooks if Torn and Bitch would have been available to them at home at the click of a button. We will be seeing more and more of the "deluxe" albums in the future for pop acts just like in the 50's and 60's when most LPs were compilations of hits. Are there any exceptions? Yes. But exceptions are just that.

Edited by dicktracy

an artist needs successful albums....will madonna recover the production costs from Hard Candy on record sales alone?

Doesn't really matter. WB and M likely already did before the album was even released from the 4M/HC licensing and tie-in deals with Unilever (they alone paid $10 million), Verizon, Vodafone, MSN, Samsung, Toyota Japan, Fuji TV Japan.

These are the biggest 10 hits of career, in no order.

Like a Prayer - today, it's everyone's favorite

Vogue - the biggest seller

Like a Virgin - her signature song

La Isla Bonita - in most countries, it's either her #1, #2 or #3 biggest hit of her career!

Papa Don't Preach - massive hit from True Blue

Hung Up - huge hit

Get into the Groove - awesome 80's dance song!

Frozen - the start of a new era in madonna's career

Music - just a big hit

4 minutes is a big hit, but I think several more madonna songs are "bigger" thatn that one. hence, it's not in the top ten (holiday, open your heart, material girl, etc)

Guest socalboy1984

Madonna's most enduring hits:

1. Hanky Panky

2. Bad Girl

3. Get Together

4. Me Against The Music

5. Causing A Commotion

6. Angel

7. Hollywood

8. What It Feels Like For A Girl

9. You'll See

10. Nothing Really Matters

And before anyone talks trash about my list, all these were Top 10 singles either in the US, UK or both. So there.

Guest dicktracy
Madonna's most enduring hits:

1. Hanky Panky

2. Bad Girl

3. Get Together

4. Me Against The Music

5. Causing A Commotion

6. Angel

7. Hollywood

8. What It Feels Like For A Girl

9. You'll See

10. Nothing Really Matters

And before anyone talks trash about my list, all these were Top 10 singles either in the US, UK or both. So there.

Endurance is not subjective.

4 minutes has been a major success and I'd say it's in her top 10-15 hits of all time. Saleswise here in the UK I'm guessing it's her 10th or 11th biggest.

I know the song has made a big impact with the yonger generation who wouldn't have bought Madonna normally.

I hope when the career greatest hits is released Warners look at what her biggest hits are/were and select those.

If it is to appeal to casual buyers they can't ignore the hits in favour of fan favourites. They need to just get as many of the big sellers on the discs as possible.

I know the song has made a big impact with the yonger generation who wouldn't have bought Madonna normally.

i dont think it made a big impact. it was simply another hiphop hit that happened to have madonna it in. this isnt gonna bring in new fans.