US Chart Talk: 5/17/08 Charts

horn

Also from Billboard: READ IT AND READ IT WELL ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE PROMO!!!!

FLASH POINTS

• Madonna's "Hard Candy" takes its expected bow atop the Billboard 200 albums chart, giving the queen of pop her seventh No. 1 -- the second-most among all female artists. Only Barbra Streisand, with eight, has more. "Candy" earns the third biggest sales week of the year as well, with 280,000 sold in its first week. That's a bigger number than the 225,000-250,000 range that Billboard projected last week based on the set's first-day sales figures. (Digital downloads accounted for a whopping 26% -- 73,000 -- of the album's overall first-week, easily making it No. 1 the Top Digital Albums chart.)

• Madonna's last studio effort, 2005's "Confessions on a Dance Floor" started with 350,000 when it bowed at No. 1. However, that discofied album was released on Nov. 15, just as the Christmas shopping season was kicking into high gear, which partially explains its bigger opening. Each of the top seven albums that week on the Billboard 200 sold more than 100,000. Even the No. 2 album, the debuting "Some Hearts" by Carrie Underwood, started with more than 300,000.

• So far in 2008, there has yet to be a week that busy. The last time the chart housed seven or more albums that each sold at least 100,000 was -- no surprise -- the sales week ending Dec. 23, 2007, when the top 23 all did more than 100,000. Ho, ho, ho!

• For those chart watchers (and diva enthusiasts) who are trying to draw comparisons between "Hard Candy's" 280,000 bow and Mariah Carey's 463,000 start with her new "E=MC2," hold your horses. During "E=MC2's" release week, Carey pulled out all the stops and performed on "American Idol," "The Oprah Winfrey Show" and "Good Morning America." During "Hard Candy's" release week, Madonna did not perform on TV. In fact, she has yet to perform on American TV to promote this album. Last week, the only chat show she visited was BET's "106 and Park" (May 2).

• Madonna did, however, stage a well-publicized club show at the Roseland Ballroom in New York on April 30, which was streamed online via MSN. But a club show -- no matter how hot -- can't compare with the impact "American Idol" and Oprah Winfrey has. And, keep in mind that Carey was returning with her first album since her comeback set, "The Emancipation of Mimi," which also happens to be the biggest selling album of 2005.

• Besides, with an album loaded with singles that seem ripe for American radio, "Hard Candy" may have a healthy shelf life. The set was led by the unqualified hit single "4 Minutes" (featuring Justin Timberlake). It's her biggest radio hit since 2001's "Don't Tell Me" and it spent multiple weeks at No. 1 on the Hot Digital Songs chart. Madonna's had a tough time getting her new music heard on U.S. radio in the past six or so years, so securing American airplay with "4 Minutes" was key in the promotion of "Hard Candy." The diva is in Europe now, focusing on the promotion of the album there. Last night (May 6) she staged her second club show supporting the album, this time at the Olympia Hall in Paris.

A week 2 projection of 90k? :shock: You'd think that with an opening of only 280k, the drop off might not have been so severe. It would've been nice to see HC have a 2nd week on top. The last time Madonna spent more than a week on top was way back in 1989!

A week 2 projection of 90k? :shock: You'd think that with an opening of only 280k, the drop off might not have been so severe. It would've been nice to see HC have a 2nd week on top. The last time Madonna spent more than a week on top was way back in 1989!

Well they were off by 60,000 in their first prediction so anything can happen.

Hit were spot on with their prediction. You're thinking of Billboard's.

Oh. Boo. :lol: Well maybe they will be wrong.....I hope. Didnt AL life fall from 240,000 to 90,000?

this album will be a problem sales wise. the singles are once again too far spaced out. 4m will be fading both digitaly and airplay wise next week. the video is already shot for gi2m (not sure if its done with editing yet but...) and the sales so far for the album are un-impressive (yeah i know 282 is the third higest debut and blah blah but it will not be by the year end charts). Give it 2 Me should be released to radio at the end of may- not the end of june. they should then release the EP the first week in june. i know others have said it too so, the third single should be released by the end of june since we know gi2m will not have the same airplay support as 4m. beat goes on should be third, followed by miles away as a mid- fall (october) song. but if gi2m does fare well then by all means she should delay the third single. either way gi2m should be released sooner than later.

the singles will be they key here for longevity and steady album sales. if she waits to long then the album will be dead before anyone will even hear the next singles.

this album will be a problem sales wise. the singles are once again too far spaced out. 4m will be fading both digitaly and airplay wise next week. the video is already shot for gi2m (not sure if its done with editing yet but...) and the sales so far for the album are un-impressive (yeah i know 282 is the third higest debut and blah blah but it will not be by the year end charts). Give it 2 Me should be released to radio at the end of may- not the end of june. they should then release the EP the first week in june. i know others have said it too so, the third single should be released by the end of june since we know gi2m will not have the same airplay support as 4m. beat goes on should be third, followed by miles away as a mid- fall (october) song. but if gi2m does fare well then by all means she should delay the third single. either way gi2m should be released sooner than later.

the singles will be they key here for longevity and steady album sales. if she waits to long then the album will be dead before anyone will even hear the next singles.

I agree... but Miles Away would not fair well in the US either... so it should be Devil instead...

but the rest of it is probably true...

Guest jamesshot
well what people don't understand here is that if she looses her relevance as an album/radio artist then also the tours won't be such hits anymore...

I agree. People can spin it all they want, but she needs to be seen as a relevant hitmaker to still get the exposure to the level she needs. Don't get me wrong, it is not the be all and end all to her existence. She is solidified as a legend forever. But still, once artists of her stature start to fall it seems they never recover save for once "comeback".

HC needs to have legs.

Madonna's had three uber successful back-to-back tours. I can't help but think that after a while her luck on the concert circuit may begin to wane, if she doesn't start having successful newer music to keep her set list replenished and to lure in new audiences. I mean if I've already seen Madonna twice in the last few years, eventually (especially at her extremely high ticket prices) I may opt to sit the next go round out if I don't have more motivation to see her…other than the fact that she's Madonna.

She toured for American Life w/o a problem. And by the time of her next CD who knows what a hit CD will be selling... I don't think any of this is an issue, except maybe what someone said about her touring a lot. But even if say the UK and US get burned out and the writing is on the wall, she could just go to other countries.

Guest Hafo

With her back catalog of hits, she could easily have 3 or 4 tours with totally different setlists and include at least 4 big songs on each. I can also see her doing more and more covers in the future.

Guest Ruanrushedin

Higher than I had expected over the last week, but still pretty unimpressive to be honest.

Do some more promotion, Madge...

90k in 2nd week would be a drop of about 65% - atrocious. At this rate, she will not sell more than 600-700k. She really needs to:

1. Release GI2M to radio in 2 weeks

2. Release the video soon after with a MTV special

3. Call Ellen & Perform it there

4. Call Letterman & perform it

5. Go on Today show

6. Call in some more radio stations.

She's gotta stop this from falling like a rock!

Guest Nothing_Really_Fails

I played the cd for at work today, working with someone who doesn't normally listen to her music but says he has alot of respect for her, and says she was the pivital of many other artists. At first listen, the song he started singing first was GI2M, he also liked Beat goes on, and Devil. interesting I think hehe !!! Really liked the album..

Wow, like I said it before, brace yourselves cause HC is gonna have a huge drop in sales next week. For now I don't see go anywhere else but down. Really sad to say but this might just be how it turns out. This album and single could've been MASSIVE with the right promotion and this time you can't blame WB because Madonna is nowhere to be seen. Anyways, what is she up to right now? I mean is she really that busy to promote her own music/album? She needs to get her head out of her ass and stop believing that she can really sell without any promo. I mean 280K is ok, a whole lot lower than what many of us though but still ok. We all know she will forever be a legend and there's no doubt about that but no one will wanna pay those outrages concert prices to see someone who USED to be popular. She needs to mantain herself relevant or otherwise just like many other legends before her, she will dissapear. Once again, this is a shame that Madonna had a huge hit in her hands both album and single but just didn't give a fuck about promotion. Oh well. :dramatic::dramatic:

FEMALE ARTISTS WITH THE MOST HOT 100 HITS

Aretha Franklin (76)

Dione Warwick (56)

Connie Francis (56)

Madonna (54) *GI2M*

Brenda Lee (50)

Barbra Streisand (41)

Olivia Newton John (40)

Janet Jackson (39)

Whitney Houston (37)

Mariah Carey (37)

Linda Ronstatdt (35)

bks at Pulse:

BILLBOARD HOT 100 - TOP 50

1 1 LEWIS*LEONA BLEEDING LOVE - SINGLE

2 2 LIL WAYNE LOLLIPOP

3 3 JORDIN SPARKS DUET NO AIR

5 4 USHER LOVE IN THIS CLUB

6 5 RAY J FEAT. YUNG BERG SEXY CAN I

4 6 MADONNA 4 MINUTES

7 7 CAREY*MARIAH TOUCH MY BODY

19 8 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE

8 9 SARA BAREILLES LOVE SONG

14 10 JESSE MCCARTNEY LEAVIN'

15 11 DANITY KANE DAMAGED

11 12 FLO RIDA LOW/JEALOUS

13 13 JOHN MAYER SAY

12 14 MILEY CYRUS SEE YOU AGAIN

9 15 CHRIS BROWN FOREVER

10 16 CHRIS BROWN WITH YOU

16 17 ONEREPUBLIC STOP AND STARE - STILL BULLETED

17 18 RIHANNA DON'T STOP THE MUSIC (JODY DEN

23 19 PLIES FEATURING NE- BUST IT BABY (PART 2)

26 20 COLBIE CAILLAT REALIZE

20 21 COLBY O'DONIS FEATU WHAT YOU GOT - STILL BULLETED

18 22 ROSS*RICK BOSS

22 23 BUCKCHERRY SORRY

21 24 TIMBALAND/ONEREPUBLIC APOLOGIZE - SINGLE

28 25 2 PISTOLS FEATURING SHE GOT IT

24 26 KEYS*ALICIA NO ONE

30 27 JAMES OTTO JUST GOT STARTED LOVIN' YOU

29 28 TAYLOR SWIFT PICTURE TO BURN

31 29 TAYLOR SWIFT OUR SONG

41 30 3 DOORS DOWN IT'S NOT MY TIME

60 31 LIL WAYNE A MILLI

27 32 TRACE ADKINS YOU'RE GONNA MISS THIS

35 33 LIFEHOUSE WHATEVER IT TAKES

47 34 GAVIN DEGRAW IN LOVE WITH A GIRL

34 35 DAUGHTRY FEELS LIKE TONIGHT

45 36 METRO STATION SHAKE IT

44 37 ASHANTI THE WAY THAT I LOVE YOU

32 38 MARIAH CAREY BYE BYE

25 39 WEBBIE, LIL' PHAT & INDEPENDENT

40 40 BRAD PAISLEY I'M STILL A GUY

38 41 CAILLAT*COLBIE BUBBLY - SINGLE

39 42 FINGER ELEVEN PARALYZER

33 43 FLO RIDA FEATURING ELEVATOR

37 44 GEORGE STRAIT I SAW GOD TODAY

46 45 SPEARS*BRITNEY BREAK THE ICE REMIXES

42 46 NELLY FEATURING FER PARTY PEOPLE

51 47 FLYLEAF ALL AROUND ME

50 48 PHIL VASSAR LOVE IS A BEAUTIFUL THING

48 49 TAYLOR SWIFT TEARDROPS ON MY GUITAR

56 50 CARRIE UNDERWOOD LAST NAME

INTERESTING MOVES & DEBUTS

62 53 RIHANNA TAKE A BOW

69 54 NE-YO CLOSER

-- 57 MADONNA GIVE IT 2 ME

77 58 CHRIS BROWN TAKE YOU DOWN

79 59 USHER FEATURING BEY LOVE IN THIS CLUB, PART II

87 61 DUFFY MERCY

-- 65 BUSTA RHYMES FEATUR WE MADE IT

93 71 ESTELLE AMERICAN BOY

-- 83 KEYSHIA COLE HEAVEN SENT

-- 88 AUGUSTANA SWEET AND LOW

-- 92 SEAN KINGSTON FEATU THERE'S NOTHIN

-- 93 THE TING TINGS SHUT UP AND LET ME GO

-- 96 COLBIE CAILLAT DREAMS COLLIDE

-- 100 MIRANDA LAMBERT GUNPOWDER & LEAD

BUBBLING UNDER

-- 1 ALICIA KEYS TEENAGE LOVE AFFAIR

14 4 M.I.A. PAPER PLANES (HOMELAND SECURIT

-- 9 DAVID GUETTA & CHRI LOVE IS GONE

-- 21 SCARLETT JOHANSSON FALLING DOWN

Guest Nothing_Really_Fails

Alicia Keys hmmm Great Cd though I think No One killed Like You'll Never See Me Again, even though it peaked at #13 was anything released after that besides Teenage Love Affair?

Guest Hafo

From E! Online:

Candygram! Sweet Success for Madonna

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b135426_ca...or_madonna.html

Gotta give it to up for Madonna, lady sure knows how to make an exit.

Hard Candy, the Material One's final Warners album before joining Live Nation, dominated the pop chart, moving 288,000 copies to debut at No. 1 for the week ended Sunday, per SoundScan.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer is now just one No. 1 away from tying Barbra Streisand's all-time record of eight chart-toppers, the standard for female artists.

Take that, Mariah.

The new single "4 Minutes" also reached No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100, giving Madonna her 37th Top 10 hit and pushing her past Elvis for the most Top 10s of all time. The Justin Timberlake collaboration is her 53rd single to crack the Hot 100 (and her second duet, following 2003's "Me Against the Music" with Britney Spears, fresh off her split with Timberlake).

Congrats to Madonna on her 54th Hot 100 entry. Already outpeaked Sorry too and hasn't even been released officially....great!! What's up with Mariah's Bye Bye?? What's the 411 on that song?? Released yet? Radio not responding?? It's just odd to see it dropping already.

Guest ercos

another interesting article...

MADONNA’S HARD CANDY DEBUTS AT #1 AROUND THE WORLD

Album has biggest one week Canadian sales in 2008

according to JAM! Showbiz (Canada)

It seems that the entire world has quite an appetite for Madonna’s new album, Hard Candy, with the record debuting at number one in no fewer than 27 countries. In addition to debuting at the top of the chart in Canada and the United States in North America, the album has also entered at number one in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Germany, Italy, France, Japan, Holland, South Africa, Sweden, Finland and Slovakia, to name just a few.

In Canada, Neilsen SoundScan, the firm that measures actual sales of music in North America, Hard Candy has debuted at #1 with over 57,000 physical and digital albums sold, already making Hard Candy the fourth best selling album in this country in 2008.

Today’s announcement is just the latest in a series of record breaking performances that this record has been making. In April, “4 Minutes,” the first single from Hard Candy, had also debuted at #1 on the Digital Tracks Sales Chart with the highest one week total sales since the establishment of the chart in 2005. This followed the news a week previous that “4 Minutes” had become the first single to debut at #1 on the CHR chart in the history of BDS in Canada.

Hard Candy features Justin Timberlake on multiple tracks and production by Timberlake, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland and Nate “Danja” Hills. “4 Minutes” was co-written by Madonna, Justin Timberlake and Timbaland.

Guest ercos
WOW, great stuff!

Will U.S radio start playing Give It To Me?

And Mariah's 2nd single is already sinking down the chart LOL :thumbsup::thumbsup:

partly true. Bye Bye' AI is actually increasing but the sales are decreasing. the premature Hot Shot Debut of Bye Btye was due to sales with low AI...

but am with you hoping it wud furhter slid down as many are predicting that it will be her 19th #1!!! :( :dramatic::thumbsdown: