4 Minutes/Hard Candy at US iTunes (part 2)

Guest Bad Robot

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003796943

First Day Sales Put Madonna On Track For 7th No. 1

Madonna

RELATED:

Billboard's "Hard Candy" Review

Mariah, Madonna Make Billboard Chart history

April 30, 2008, 6:40 PM ET

Keith Caulfield, L.A.

Madonna is on track to net her seventh No. 1 album on next week's Billboard 200 with "Hard Candy," based on first-day sales measured by the Nielsen SoundScan Building Chart released Wednesday afternoon (April 30).

Unweighted sales for the Warner Bros. album from the Building Chart's panel of reporters through the close of business Tuesday, April 29, stood at 100,000.

Among all female artists, only Barbra Streisand has earned more No. 1s -- with eight. Currently, Madonna, Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson are all tied for the second most, with six apiece.

Late last year, Chris Brown's "Exclusive" posted a first day number of

107,000 and finished the week with 294,000. However, sources close to the Madonna project indicate that with much of "Hard Candy's" first-day figure driven by iTunes sales, its full sales week could end up closer to the range of 225,000-250,000.

Madonna's last studio effort, 2005's "Confessions on a Dance Floor," started at No. 1 with 350,000.

Billboard estimates the merchants who report to Nielsen SoundScan's Building Chart -- Trans World Entertainment, Best Buy, Circuit City, iTunes, Starbucks,Borders, Target, Anderson Merchandisers, and Handleman Co. -- comprise about 80% of all U.S. Album sales.

Leading the charge for "Hard Candy" is first single "4 Minutes," featuring Justin Timberlake, which peaked at No. 3 on The Billboard Hot 100 and spent two weeks at No. 1 on Hot Digital Songs. The download has sold 1 million copies to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan, including 185,000 for the week that ended April 27.

Madonna first rang the Billboard 200's bell when "Like a Virgin" reached No. 1 in late 1984. Since then, she's claimed No. 1s with "True Blue" (1986), "Like a Prayer" (1989), "Music" (2000), "American Life" (2003) and "Confessions."

She also owns a whopping five sets that peaked at No. 2 -- "I'm Breathless" (1990), "The Immaculate Collection" (1990), "Erotica" (1992), the soundtrack to "Evita" (1996) and "Ray of Light" (1998).

On the Wednesday Building Chart, Lyfe Jennings' new "Lyfe Change" (Columbia) was in second place with 25,000. Other new titles appearing in that preliminary list's top 10 include the Roots' "Rising Down" (Def Jam), Portishead's "Third" (Mercury), Def Leppard's "Songs From the Sparkle Lounge" (Island/UMe), Augustana's "Can't Love, Can't Hurt" (Epic) and Mudcrutch's self-titled album (Reprise).

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003796943

Madonna first rang the Billboard 200's bell when "Like a Virgin" reached No. 1 in late 1984. Since then, she's claimed No. 1s with "True Blue" (1986), "Like a Prayer" (1989), "Music" (2000), "American Life" (2003) and "Confessions."

She also owns a whopping five sets that peaked at No. 2 -- "I'm Breathless" (1990), "The Immaculate Collection" (1990), "Erotica" (1992), the soundtrack to "Evita" (1996) and "Ray of Light" (1998).

12 #1 albums it should be really...

So the estimate of Madonna's sales is based on what has been sold in stores the first day? Is there any chance that it is selling craploads through itunes and we might all be suprised at its sales? Sales in the 200,000s just seem SOOOO low.

She will surprise everyone... Roseland will have much more effect than everyone thinks...INTERNET POWER ;)

I'm pretty sure that since LiveNation will want to show what a great place they are for forward-thinking artists & what a money-making business they are, that we'll see a major push for Madonna to have #1's across the board. Mariah won't know what hit her. LOL!!

I'm pretty sure that since LiveNation will want to show what a great place they are for forward-thinking artists & what a money-making business they are, that we'll see a major push for Madonna to have #1's across the board. Mariah won't know what hit her. LOL!!

too bad HARD CANDY didn't come under LIVE NATION... it's chalk full of potential hits...

i wonder when's the first album gonna arrive from LN...

hmmm, POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE is now #3 in iTUNES...

and don't say it'll last 2-3 days thank her AI performance. Just see what happened when Leona was on that show. :confused:

hmmm, POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE is now #3 in iTUNES...

Not- deserved.

Natasha has way better songs on her new album.

^

^

She performed in AI...

which Madonna should do too!

honestly... it would be freaking amazing if she could perform GI2M on the finals of AI... that would mean a big boost for the album but mostly the song that will need that boost I think...

Guest socalboy1984
Madonna is not doing American Idol. Get over it.

AMEN. And look at their new little scandal. I wouldn't want Madonna to be associated with that institution at this point in time.

Guest iMisto

Ya.. no AI for Madge.

Her vocals weren't all that amazing last night. I wouldn't want her on AI. They don't care about anything else on that show, 'cept the high notes.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
So the estimate of Madonna's sales is based on what has been sold in stores the first day? Is there any chance that it is selling craploads through itunes and we might all be suprised at its sales? Sales in the 200,000s just seem SOOOO low.

It was indicated in that article that a bulk of the 100,000 first day sales came from Itunes, but that is likely all the pre-sale numbers coming in. That's why they were downsizing a prediction of her totals.

That's kind of scary when she can't even get to COADF opening numbers despite having a MASSIVE hit song. The album could drop pretty quickly then.

Yeah Mariah won't know because if Madonna does as much promotion as she's done with this album there won't be nothing hitting Mariah :lmao::lmao: . WB has done their part, Madonna hasn't done anything except her little gig which only reach hardcore fans that have already purchase her album. What's the point of having your record label promotting the hell out of an artist when the artist doesn't bother promoting the album? Just look at Britney.

Well it couldnt stay #1 forever. It was #1 for over 20 days.

I know, but many here think and hope sales would increase this week being the last chance to climb higher....

Guest jamesshot

I am very satisfied at 4M's success. Who wudda thunk 20 days at #1 on I-tunes, over a million in 5 weeks?