4 Minutes USA Airplay: Mediabase (part 1)

thebigham

Per bks, the first-week BDS audience for 4M (well, just 2 days):

Audience: 8,003,700

+736 spins. Shows as No. 212 on the airplay list, but is a lot higher, since BDS's list includes recurrents.

--On the building charts (w/ 2 days into the week): No. 28 at Mainstream Top 40, No. 39 at Adult Top 40 and No. 3 at Dance Top 40.

I think "Hollywood's" BDS peak was lower than 8m, so already passed that one!

See I think Warner is actually quite smart. US radio doesn't like Madonna as much anymore..so her teaming up with 2 of the hottest radio artist Timberlake and Timbaland is quite smart as they are considered "REAL". I always said it was better to release 4 minutes then something more typical madonna like Give it 2 me.

Does anyone have numbers for "Hung Up"'s first few days so we can compare?

The numbers are at another board that I cannot access.

HU was over 3 million first day. 6 million the second day so 4M is doing better.

This is all VERY good news, but I am still not going to jump the gun just yet. Didnt Feedback also start out pretty good a radio and then sink like a stone? Im not trying to be Debbie Downer. I am thrilled that radio is giving it a chance, but I just hope reaction remains positive and more stations jump on board.

By the way..This sure as hell beats the last few Madonna releases where we got excited if it jumped up 0.0001 of an audience impression. :lol:

Her last #1 single on the hot100 was 8 years ago with "Music". It's time for another #1

God, that was 8 years ago already. How scary. I wish "Dont Tell Me" made it to #1 also. That song has gone on to become a Madonna classic here.

I think "American Life" had a BDS audience of 8.8 million after its first 2 days- but, I'd like to think 4M will fare better than AL. :)

RE Mimi- she's also part-black, duh, so being in her 30s and making urban-leaning music helps those airplay numbas, too.

bigham- 4 Min already is in the upper 50s at Mainstream Top 40- so when the period of Monday-Sunday ends, it should debut nicely on that chart. Not sure if it's going to have enough play to enter Adult Top 40, though.

I think "American Life" had a BDS audience of 8.8 million after its first 2 days- but, I'd like to think 4M will fare better than AL.

Im suprised that AL still managed to reach 26 million then. I thought the negative reaction was so instant that it was being pulled after only a few days.

This is all VERY good news, but I am still not going to jump the gun just yet. Didnt Feedback also start out pretty good a radio and then sink like a stone? Im not trying to be Debbie Downer. I am thrilled that radio is giving it a chance, but I just hope reaction remains positive and more stations jump on board.

So true! :nocomment:

Guest Bad Robot
Yes, true. But HU reached 1 million in downloads. 4 Minutes could sell more if the airplay keeps on growing...

Well, no, HU hasn't reached 1m yet -- probably will though, in time. It's over 900k I think.

HU probably has scanned in excess of 950K in digital sales by now.

"American Life" peaked at 23m BDS audience, No. 61 on Hot 100 Airplay. Reception obviously was not good, hence its short-lived radio life.

Guest fighting_spirit

I remember Ashlee Simpson (or Hilary Duff?) fans were using the auto voter before Madonna as well but it got discovered when Madonna fans were talking about it on every forum.

Is this good?

If you ask me... no

but the rest of the forum seems to think it's good so...

so depend on who you ask...

It's good numbers if you're still in let's say... top.20-10 maybe... but not in top.50 for a premiere with big names like M/J/T involved...

Is this good?

If you're asking "ME", I would say it's doing much much better than her last few singles (e.g. Jump, GT, Sorry, HU, LP, NKM, Hollywood, AL).

I know someone will disagree... :dramatic:

:Zezwer: it's a flop! :Zezwer:

If you're asking "ME", I would say it's doing much much better than her last few singles (e.g. Jump, GT, Sorry, HU, LP, NKM, Hollywood, AL).

I know someone will disagree... :dramatic:

:Zezwer: it's a flop! :Zezwer:

Haha...

well comparing it to those former singles... well offcourse... it's a super SMASH! haha

but there are many differences between this one and those singles you mention... and you know it!...

this is AIMED at the US radio with big US radio names involved... it is meant as the US COMEBACK single...

So this should be compared to other songs and not just Madonna's AL/COADF singles... because offcourse this is going to be a US smash compared to those...

If you ask someone like Horn for instance... who obviously doesn't have as high expectations on this single... then offcourse how it recieved now is how a future "smash hit" should be recieved...

Haha...

well comparing it to those former singles... well offcourse... it's a super SMASH! haha

but there are many differences between this one and those singles you mention... and you know it!...

this is AIMED at the US radio with big US radio names involved... it is meant as the US COMEBACK single...

So this should be compared to other songs and not just Madonna's AL/COADF singles... because offcourse this is going to be a US smash compared to those...

Madonna could have recorded a song with Jesus and she would still have to start out on the lower/middle ground. No matter who is in there it is still a MADONNA single promoting the new Madonna album. Aimed at US radio means zero, do you think radio just says "this single was aimed at US radio we will play it 1,000 times the first day!" Not gonna name names but lots of shit aimed at US radio flops.

If you ask me... no

but the rest of the forum seems to think it's good so...

so depend on who you ask...

It's good numbers if you're still in let's say... top.20-10 maybe... but not in top.50 for a premiere with big names like M/J/T involved...

here you go again! :thumbsdown:

Madonna could have recorded a song with Jesus and she would still have to start out on the lower/middle ground. No matter who is in there it is still a MADONNA single promoting the new Madonna album. Aimed at US radio means zero, do you think radio just says "this single was aimed at US radio we will play it 1,000 times the first day!" Not gonna name names but lots of shit aimed at US radio flops.

I know it's not just because it's aimed at the US

but the song has two radio sweethearts on board (J&T)

It is in a genre that is working well on US radio in general

and it has hit written all over it... I mean it's not a shitty song or some half-attempt...

If it would have been shitty it would not have gone directly to a-list in Europe... even if Europe loves Madonna...

He asked - I answered...

you can answer aswell... what your believe is

end.

if the song was #1 for 50 weeks you'd still say if was a flop because it wasnt # 1 for 51 weeks

Guest Bad Robot

Zezwer, let's do some math together, shall we?

This airplay is tracked over two days. Every other song it's up against has 7 days.

There's no way you can guarantee that it will continue to grow every day this week at the same rate, but if it were to do so, it would be gaining about 350-400 spins a day and around 3.5-4m audience impressions a day.

Let's multiply that times 7.

That's 2450-2800 spins with an audience of 24.5-28m in one week.

Which would mean almost reaching Hung Up's airplay peak in its FIRST WEEK alone.

Pop spins are increasing at about 250-300 a day, so that would be 1750-2100 spins in a week, putting it at around #28-25 on the Top 40 Mainstream chart and make it the fastest growing song at pop radio by a margin of 500-700 spins higher than the runner up.

Now there's no way to guarantee it will maintain this rate all week, but even if it falls a few hundred spins and a few million audience impressions below that, it will still be a very big debut.

Your stubborn insistence on baseless negativity is REALLY annoying and incredibly misleading.