UK Charts - Nov 25 - Spices barely detected

Guest Hafo

You obviously don't GET Bleeding Love at all. It's AC AND street at the same time, a well-written pop juggernaut with multiple hooks and an astounding vocal, appealing to Black Britain and Middle England at the same time. I can't think of a recent ballard that has achieved the same. Hence, over 600,000 sales in a mere six weeks, the biggest-selling song of the year, and a sure-fire Billboard No.1 next year.

And while the other tracks on her debut are sub-par, Bleeding Love will remain her (only) pop-cultural water-cooler moment, a track that literally has been EVERYWHERE in the UK this last month.

All in all, 2007's greatest pop masterpiece after Umbrella. FACT.

Try listening to it again...

Edited by Braby2007

Spice Girls' GH album looks to have moved100K+ in 2 weeks- didn't it do 70K+ in its first week? Then this week, it would havebeen 30K+.

Course it's not an essential GH like Abba or Madonna, QB- most of the hits featured come from the first album, no? And outside of "Wannabe," the others aren't as "classic" or ACCLAIMED.

You obviously don't GET Bleeding Love at all. It's AC AND street at the same time, a well-written pop juggernaut with multiple hooks and an astounding vocal, appealing to Black Britain and Middle England at the same time. I can't think of a recent ballard that has achieved the same. Hence, over 600,000 sales in a mere six weeks, the biggest-selling song of the year, and a sure-fire Billboard No.1 next year.

And while the other tracks on her debut are sub-par, Bleeding Love will remain her (only) pop-cultural water-cooler moment, a track that literally has been EVERYWHERE in the UK this last month.

All in all, 2007's greatest pop masterpiece after Umbrella. FACT.

Try listening to it again...

Last year Leona sold similar number from A moment like this. Was that another 'pop masterpiece'? Lets face it, whatever Leona releases now it is going to be number one, no matter what. We all know why, no need to say it again, but defenitely it is NOT a good song. If it were sung by un unknown artist it wont even sell 1000 copies. Like it or not

Eh, come on, "Bleeding Love" is a good song. Catchy enough, nicely performed, and certainly different than most of the pop-by-numbers singles around. It had the hype generated by an X-Factor winner, of course, but just see how Shayne Ward is doing with a trio of truly bland, silly songs. Not even his cute face saved them from not reaching #1.

I also think the song could be huge outside UK/Ireland.

Of course. :)

karbatal, the Spice album didn't struggle to make top 10- wasn't it No. 2 in its debut week? The single's performance, however, is just embarrassing for the UK. Least it's better than the No. 90 USA showing (where the 7 prior Hot 100 singles peaked in the top 20)- however, it's not its lowest-charting USA entry, as "Holler" only Bubbled Under at 114 or sumthin' like that.

the spice girls tour is going to be a fun night out, but it doesn't mean i want to buy the album, and i don't even own any of their previous CDs. not interested.

if someone buys me the album for xmas, i won't take it back, but i certainly won't be asking for it.

CHART COMMENTARY from JAMES MASTERTON

26/11/07

Ah, Top 10 singles. Remember those, Spice Girls? The physical release of their comeback single 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)' finally helps the track towards something approaching respectability, but barely. Even with the exposure of being the official Children In Need single has hardly counted in favour of the lacklustre track and it limply rises twelve places to what will surely end up being its peak of Number 11. "Ah," will say their defenders, "but the real purpose of the exercise is the Greatest Hits album and just look at all the concert tickets they have sold". Be that as it may, 'Greatest Hits' tumbles to Number 7 on the album chart, outsold by the superannuated Eagles and Led Zeppelin. The Spices greatest legacy was as a singles act and with this one badly realised release they have stained forever one of the best chart records of any pop act ever.

CHART COMMENTARY from JAMES MASTERTON

26/11/07

Ah, Top 10 singles. Remember those, Spice Girls? The physical release of their comeback single 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)' finally helps the track towards something approaching respectability, but barely. Even with the exposure of being the official Children In Need single has hardly counted in favour of the lacklustre track and it limply rises twelve places to what will surely end up being its peak of Number 11. "Ah," will say their defenders, "but the real purpose of the exercise is the Greatest Hits album and just look at all the concert tickets they have sold". Be that as it may, 'Greatest Hits' tumbles to Number 7 on the album chart, outsold by the superannuated Eagles and Led Zeppelin. The Spices greatest legacy was as a singles act and with this one badly realised release they have stained forever one of the best chart records of any pop act ever.

I agree, the whole spice girls comebacj just reeks of a money making excercise. A rather poor comeback single realeased on download way before physial release. Also a cobbled together GH, ladies poor show

Be that as it may, 'Greatest Hits' tumbles to Number 7 on the album chart, outsold by the superannuated Eagles and Led Zeppelin.

That must be the most PAINFUL part of it all. :chuckle:

The Spices greatest legacy was as a singles act

I disagree, they sold loads of albums too; not that they were anything more than a collection of singles + filler but they still sold. The SG's biggest legacy is, despite being four ODIOUS CUNTS and an okay one (Emma), were an unprecedented marketing phenomenon who sold loads of product during their time.

I also think the song could be huge outside UK/Ireland.

I doubt it, every country has its own Pop Idol or X Factor singer releasing albums and many ballads on radio station in Christmas. I stil think that Leona is a typical marketing phenomenom from Christmas.

Guest boytoyville

The exciting thing about ther SPice girls is tha they are back and the novelty of seeing them again because they are fun. The concerts are have already made their comeback worthy enough they are doing like 20 sold out dates in the UK alone. Concerts don't always translate to album sales and all of there songs are on the their first 2 CD's which sold like crazy in the UK. Those are the people going to the concerts and they already own most of their music.