Is Messiah going to be the first single? Will it have a "Frozen" effect?

Guest gang bang

From June 15:

Madonna has recorded enough songs to make two or three albums, but like a photographer, more is better since there is more to choose from in the end. All I know is that Interscope is very impressed with what they have heard, and that’s not just PR hype. We often hear of how “great” an album is by an artist’s PR team and when the album is released, it’s not so good. Madonna’s MDNA is a good example. Early hype and early reviews had the album compared to Ray of Light. But when reality hit, it wasn’t nearly as well received.

However, the good buzz for Madonna’s next project comes from within Interscope. But they are concerned and confused about how the album should be marketed. Should it concentrate on the adult contemporary songs she has recorded (there are quite a few)? If nothing but EDM songs make the final cut, will she be accused of recording another MDNA? Interscope knows that radio won’t play the songs, so they are looking to market the songs in other ways.

One of the songs will likely be used for an upcoming movie. Given how Interscope turned the fortunes of Lady Gaga’s “Applause” around by featuring it in a KIA commercial, you can bet they will use the same method for Madonna. There will be some performances, but not many; Madonna’s management and Interscope are aware of how much Madonna is bashed after any performance she gives these days.

Madonna would be wise to learn from the mistakes of Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears and other divas, who face an increasingly ageist music industry. If she wants the album to be any type of success, she has to tone down her image. She has been stuck in a “Look at Me!” rut that is turning off some fans who have stood with her since the beginning. This isn’t about ageism, which I admit Madonna is a victim of more than any other pop star in music history. This is about creativity. Madonna ‘s biggest strength has always been the ability to reinvent herself so much that she comes across as fresh both musically and aesthetically. Her current incarnation has run its course into the ground.

She also has to market the album to her audience, which is largely made up of adults in their 40s and 50s. Marketing the album to teenagers (which she has done for her past two albums) will be a nail in the album’s coffin.

In any case, Madonna is no doubt putting more effort into her latest album than she has in years. Let’s just hope the efforts pay off.

some valid points in there....however her audience is late 20's-50's ...I think 30's is the most concentrated demographic

And this whole "Angela" in-joke is ridiculous. I don't know why it keeps rearing its ugly head. It's not even that funny.

Exactly. Do people have such short memories as well. Angie Baby was a massive Madonna hater originally. Leopards don't change their spots or she was only mentioning Madonna to gain attention in the first place.

Guest whatatramp

some valid points in there....however her audience is late 20's-50's ...I think 30's is the most concentrated demographic

no

so you're an expert?

Each of the last three albums (particularly Confessions) brought on tons of young, new fans. Just look around this forum and other places online. She does have a healthy amount of fans in the late teens to late twenties demographic.

Each of the last three albums (particularly Confessions) brought on tons of young, new fans. Just look around this forum and other places online. She does have a healthy amount of fans in the late teens to late twenties demographic.

yes I know...but when it comes to a marketing plan, you choose wisely and as narrowly as possible. I think that MOST of her fans are in the 30-39 range...something to consider when figuring out where to spend the marketing $. its always good to expand your base too so going after older women/men 40+ is a strategy too...i agree with the article in the sense that she shouldn't market to teens/college kids...especially if it turns off other demographics of potential fans. she should keep her message sophisticated and cool. no pandering...shes on a slippery slope....

I'm not sure if a ballad will have a positive impact as a first single. Not at this era.

I think the opposite, a ballad as a first single right now would be the best way to star this new era.

Dance music is dying little by little at the world's charts, pop singers like Rihanna, Miley and Katy Perry have chosen mid-tempo songs as lead singles making huge success in the past year (Diamonds,We can't stop, Wrecking Ball, Dark Horse) not to mention Adele and Lorde, so...

I think the opposite, a ballad as a first single right now would be the best way to star this new era.

Dance music is dying little by little at the world's charts, pop singers like Rihanna, Miley and Katy Perry have chosen mid-tempo songs as lead singles making huge success in the past year (Diamonds,We can't stop, Wrecking Ball, Dark Horse) not to mention Adele and Lorde, so...

Good point. But Danceydonna will always get the proper attention, if the song is hot and not generic of course.

I honestly think the MDNA singles proved dance-Madonna needs a bit of a rest. Unless any of the Diplo/Avicci tracks has hit written all over it (i.e. Music or Hung up level), a good midtempo or a ballad might do the trick and generate good early buzz on the project.

Excited for Messiah!!

Exactly. Do people have such short memories as well. Angie Baby was a massive Madonna hater originally. Leopards don't change their spots or she was only mentioning Madonna to gain attention in the first place.

I BELIEVE THAT ANGELA IS RELLY PEREZ HILTON.

I honestly think the MDNA singles proved dance-Madonna needs a bit of a rest. Unless any of the Diplo/Avicci tracks has hit written all over it (i.e. Music or Hung up level), a good midtempo or a ballad might do the trick and generate good early buzz on the project.

Excited for Messiah!!

I agree.

:lmao:

Did anybody in Madonna's team say that MDNA was the new ROL?

I don't remember it

maybe because of the Orbit participation in the album, there were mentions of similarity in vibe

I agree.A great ballad would truly surprise listeners and generate alot of buzz.I always felt that "Falling Free" should have been a single.With a fantastic video and aggressive promotion,it would have been a surprise hit.

There will be some performances, but not many; Madonna’s management and Interscope are aware of how much Madonna is bashed after any performance she gives these days.

I don't understand this statement at all. What live performances has she done lately that got bashed? The MDNA Tour & Super Bowl Half-Time Show got rave reviews.

I agree.A great ballad would truly surprise listeners and generate alot of buzz.I always felt that "Falling Free" should have been a single.With a fantastic video and aggressive promotion,it would have been a surprise hit.

Preach!

I don't understand this statement at all. What live performances has she done lately that got bashed? The MDNA Tour & Super Bowl Half-Time Show got rave reviews.

The OYH at the Grammys maybe? Not really bashed, but not really critically acclaimed, it was too short to judge though

When Live To Tell first came out it just blew me away.

I liked Madonna before that but after LTT she became my favourite artist at the time.

It was a soundtrack song, the first single from True Blue album, a ballad and a huge number 1 hit.

It being on a soundtrack didn't affect it being an album track at all for me either.

So if this is what is happening I'm very happy.

I'm kind of expecting Messiah to be more a Frozen (balladish) track than a traditional ballad like Live To Tell or This Used To Be My Playground though...

Guest gang bang

Good point. But Danceydonna will always get the proper attention, if the song is hot and not generic of course.

yes , but sometimes is good to change , but you are right for an artist over 40 is SO difficult to chart with a ballad , especially in USA , in the last years , only Adele , Katty Perry , Pink , Rihanna , current acts got hits with a ballad , Xtina got a hit with a ballad too , maybe Madonna would be the next , who knows , but as well as a lead single , even if its a ballad , is going to get a lot of hype , and if its a great track +a good video , maybe it can Works , Madonna fans are hungry for Madonna s new lead single

Guest gang bang

Excited for Messiah!!

GGW should be the 1st single , then Im addicted , GMAYL NEVER should be the lead single , and yes if Madonna releases a lead single like Hung up or Music , it will be GREAT for her , but a ballad as a lead single would be a good move

It would be refreshing not to have a typical dance song as the lead single.

I would like the first song to be representative of album's sound and concept (assuming it is a cohesive, concept album) rather than being the most commercial 'radio friendly' tune that you know radio won't touch anyway just because it's by a certain woman of a certain age.

Guest gang bang

It would be refreshing not to have a typical dance song as the lead single.

I would like the first song to be representative of album's sound and concept (assuming it is a cohesive, concept album) rather than being the most commercial 'radio friendly' tune that you know radio won't touch anyway just because it's by a certain woman of a certain age.

+1

Madonna would be wise to learn from the mistakes of Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears and other divas, who face an increasingly ageist music industry.

:manson:

Who wrote this shit? All these bitches should learn from Madge instead.