Photo
- - - - -

Cher on Madonna (Twitter, interviews, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#176 jazzyjan

jazzyjan

Supreme Elitist

• Supreme Elitists
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

Madonna is the ultimate of all female superstars and stands alone in my opinion. Have to admit that I do think Barbra Streisand, Cher, Judy Garland and Aretha Franklin are legends in my eyes. Maybe they are more popular in certain countries than others but I do think they are all incredible. We all have different tastes though. I think Barbra Streisand has a magnificent voice and her versions of People, The way we were, Woman in love and Somewhere are sublime. I also adore her version of If I loved you from one of my favourite musicals Carousel. Gives me chills.  I am a real musical fan and love all of the classic musicals with passion so Barbra is one of my favs. 

#177 cross

cross

Elitist

• Elitists
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

OMG, while reading the last couple of pages of you queens arguing over Barbra Streisand, the song Barbra Streisand by Duck Sauce came up randomly on my iTunes, eerie :rotfl: :rotfl: :sneaky:

#178 XXL

XXL

Forum God

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

:rotfl:

WHAT is the argument?? LOL

What I was saying was that IT WAS BARBRA HERSELF who made that comment about Madonna (in an interview), that what Barbra said was as if TO HER Madonna wasn't refined. I am NOT making a statement about how people look at Madonna as not refined. Please read well. In fact, it's rather hilarious of Barbra to have said that about Madonna considering that she herself was talked about by others in her early days of fame as being low-rent (or crass.)

However, they did share a similar salad years legend. Barbra struck out on her own when she was 18/19 and lived in poverty (was even a theater usher in between auditions) and crashed other people's couches for a place to sleep in. Barbra WAS hungry and from the get go, she was brash and unapologetic of her own ambitions and behavior-- and even had armpit hairs unshaven! Very much like Madonna! :lol:

FACTS.

I FULLY agree, obviously, that Madonna has reached heights of fame/artistry/game-changing significance/influence that NO OTHER female-- including Barbra-- reached. Barbra may be way more successful in film (becoming multiple award-winning actress and box office star, director, and even an Oscar for composing a song) but Madonna is sui generis and her impact is way deeper and more profound, and Madonna stands alone at the very top.

Ok then  :laugh:

I didn't get that it was a comment from Babara hesself sorry

Everything you wrote :bow:

#179 bluejean

bluejean

Bluejean

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

I couldn't name one Barbara Streisand song. Apart from the ones she did with Celine and Bryan Adams

#180 XXL

XXL

Forum God

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

I couldn't name one Barbara Streisand song

South America, Europe and Asia are with you

#181 acko

acko

Forum God

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,005 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think Barbra & Cher r just fine, but sales figures & even charts don't really mean EVERYTHING.

when u evaluate pop culture in hindsight.

There is only one female superstar (THE FIRST) that came before Madonna, one that ticks all the boxes, who had

the glamour, the sexiness, the music & the INTERNATIONAL impact.

She is of course Miss Ross & she 's The Boss.

EAT IT.

#182 jazzyjan

jazzyjan

Supreme Elitist

• Supreme Elitists
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

Acko, Diana Ross is also a legend. :thumbsup:  Agree with you about how great she is. 

#183 Skin

Skin

Their time has come

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,621 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

I couldn't name one Barbara Streisand song. Apart from the ones she did with Celine and Bryan Adams

I am with you.  And I don't even know of the songs she did with Celine and Bryan Adams.

Here is the extent of my Barbara Knowledge....

She likes to be filmed from her "good" side only.

She was in a movie called Funny Lady which I never saw.

She was in a movie called Prince of Tides which I never saw.

She was in one of the Meet the Parents sequels which I never saw.

She was in a movie where she pretended to be a boy or something like that....which I never saw.

She sings songs, and I couldn't name one of them if my life depended on it.

Rosie O'Donnell is obsessed with her.

That's it.

#184 bluejean

bluejean

Bluejean

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

Who is more famous? Babs or Nana Maskouri?

#185 bluejean

bluejean

Bluejean

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

I guess Nana never did movies. But hasn't she sold more than babs?

#186 s@ndz

s@ndz

You're so beautiful, I'd like to kiss you...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

:lmao: nana's fans and her mgt are more delusional than MJ's

Diana Ross is/was fabulous and all that but she desperately wanted to be Barbra, so...

#187 s@ndz

s@ndz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

Oscars 1991 after party.

Diana to MJ and looking at Madonna canoodling with Warren: "I thought you were with her?"

MJ: "I guess she doesn't want to be with me"

Diana: "She's so tacky!"

Poor girls, reduced to bitching in the sidelines, so helpless in the brilliance of Madonna :lmao:

#188 bluejean

bluejean

Bluejean

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

Nana has fans? :wow:

#189 s@ndz

s@ndz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Nana has fans? :wow:

oh, one or two who apparently worked for the guinness book back in the day when she was the "biggest selling" female artist ever. :lol:

#190 Larkspur

Larkspur

Elitist

• Elitists
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Oscars 1991 after party.

Diana to MJ and looking at Madonna canoodling with Warren: "I thought you were with her?"

MJ: "I guess she doesn't want to be with me"

Diana: "She's so tacky!"

Poor girls, reduced to bitching in the sidelines, so helpless in the brilliance of Madonna :lmao:

I looked it up because I remember her saying "tacky dress too." She first says I think, who knows how reliable it is, "Well I think she's an awful woman." I do remember reading at the time the "tacky dress too" part. Lol

I love Diana Ross and never understood why she didn't pursue acting more. I love the music of the Supremes and Diana's solo career. Barbra was a great comedienne who was born with a powerhouse voice. I like a few of Cher's songs but never really followed her music career. I've enjoyed a few of her movies.

I always respected Cher even if she has said some not so nice things about Madonna over the years. There's no rule that you have to like her and Cher I guess was just saying what she thought as much as I disagreed with her. I would like if Cher praised Madonna and I hope Cher is involved in the secret project as well as other people. I have guarded optimism though about Cher's recent comments about Madonna and her doing a pretty similar photo shoot of Madonna's MDNA pictures. Cher was always honest and straight forward. Has she been getting some passive aggressive lessons?

Lol I don't know, how do you criticise someone so long and then praise them out of no where? Maybe she is involved in the secret project. She has always had a certain amount of respect for Madonna but not complete praise.

My wish anyway would be for Cher and others to help support Madonna's secret project. I always want to see positive interaction between artists.

#191 alanuk

alanuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

On the subject of celebs on social media, I noticed Glenn Close has spoke often about how much she admires Madonna. On her official Twitter, a guy tweeted her to say that Madonna said Erotica was a great record and she replied to him saying "read the web chat, loved it-Erotica/Girlie Show-special place in my heart, M is THEE Queen GX"

#192 Skin

Skin

Their time has come

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,621 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

On the subject of celebs on social media, I noticed Glenn Close has spoke often about how much she admires Madonna. On her official Twitter, a guy tweeted her to say that Madonna said Erotica was a great record and she replied to him saying "read the web chat, loved it-Erotica/Girlie Show-special place in my heart, M is THEE Queen GX"

She is a Madonna loon.

#193 Hector

Hector

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,492 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

WHERE??? I can't find that online and don't see an official Glenn Close twitter account anywhere. You frequently post these Glenn Close Madonna things and never include proof (link, screenshot, scan, etc.).

#194 acko

acko

Forum God

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,005 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Diana Ross is/was fabulous and all that but she desperately wanted to be Barbra, so...

:lmao: Her Supremes catalogue alone is up there with M's TIC, The Beatles, Elvis & MJ & other RnR Hall of Fame inductees.

Barbra what!?

#195 Raider of the lost Ark

Raider of the lost Ark

Elitist

• Elitists
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Madonna so needs to direct "Sunset Boulevard" with Glenn as Norma. :dramatic:

#196 Raider of the lost Ark

Raider of the lost Ark

Elitist

• Elitists
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

I am with you.  And I don't even know of the songs she did with Celine and Bryan Adams.

Here is the extent of my Barbara Knowledge....

She likes to be filmed from her "good" side only.

She was in a movie called Funny Lady which I never saw.

She was in a movie called Prince of Tides which I never saw.

She was in one of the Meet the Parents sequels which I never saw.

She was in a movie where she pretended to be a boy or something like that....which I never saw.

She sings songs, and I couldn't name one of them if my life depended on it.

Rosie O'Donnell is obsessed with her.

That's it.

:laugh: Some would argue you have a serious lack of knowledge of gay culture. On the other hand I am totally embarrassed at the moment that I know all this stuff. :ohno: I had a certain phase in my life. And "A Christmas Album" is still an all time favorite of mine. Christmas and Streisand? Is there anything more gay?

#197 jazzyjan

jazzyjan

Supreme Elitist

• Supreme Elitists
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

:laugh: Some would argue you have a serious lack of knowledge of gay culture. On the other hand I am totally embarrassed at the moment that I know all this stuff. :ohno: I had a certain phase in my life. And "A Christmas Album" is still an all time favorite of mine. Christmas and Streisand? Is there anything more gay?

Raider of the lost Ark, don't be embarrassed about loving Streisand or anyone for that matter.  Embrace your choices  :laugh:

Seriously though, does anyone else hate it when people feel they have to apologize for the music they like ?  And to top it off, later on the people who seem to be mocking you for liking certain stuff, admit to you when they are drunk that they like it as well.  :lmao: For years, I was teased about loving ABBA but  most of these people who mocked me now admit to also loving them all along. 

#198 s@ndz

s@ndz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

I looked it up because I remember her saying "tacky dress too." She first says I think, who knows how reliable it is, "Well I think she's an awful woman." I do remember reading at the time the "tacky dress too" part. Lol
I love Diana Ross and never understood why she didn't pursue acting more. I love the music of the Supremes and Diana's solo career. Barbra was a great comedienne who was born with a powerhouse voice. I like a few of Cher's songs but never really followed her music career. I've enjoyed a few of her movies.
I always respected Cher even if she has said some not so nice things about Madonna over the years. There's no rule that you have to like her and Cher I guess was just saying what she thought as much as I disagreed with her. I would like if Cher praised Madonna and I hope Cher is involved in the secret project as well as other people. I have guarded optimism though about Cher's recent comments about Madonna and her doing a pretty similar photo shoot of Madonna's MDNA pictures. Cher was always honest and straight forward. Has she been getting some passive aggressive lessons?
Lol I don't know, how do you criticise someone so long and then praise them out of no where? Maybe she is involved in the secret project. She has always had a certain amount of respect for Madonna but not complete praise.
My wish anyway would be for Cher and others to help support Madonna's secret project. I always want to see positive interaction between artists.

You are correct about that full (alleged) MJ/DR Oscars coversation :lol:

As for Shayr, remember her statement about Madonna just doing what she already did 20 years before?Maybe she felt Madonna just aped her so feels reluctant to praise, but she could not wrap her brain around the fact that just coz Madonna was vamping doesn't mean Madonna was doing her (Cher's) Vegas bimbo showgirl act. Shayr's not very bright :lmao:

#199 s@ndz

s@ndz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

:lmao: Her Supremes catalogue alone is up there with M's TIC, The Beatles, Elvis & MJ & other RnR Hall of Fame inductees.

Barbra what!?

Now that would be the SUPREMES, not Diana. That manufactured hit machine, more like a way more fabulous version of NSync :lmao:

In "Call her miss Ross" biography, it was mentioned that Diana, who demanded everyone call her Miss Ross was so awed by Barbra that she wanted a career like Barbra's. A black Streisand? :lol: In another account, the high diva was silenced in the presence of Queen Barbra in an event where La Streisand and her imperial nose took charge of the room :lmao:

Of course, Diana should be awed, Barbra's overwhelming career achievements/stats and cultural impact pulverizes hers. :queenbitch:

#200 GetUnconscious

GetUnconscious

Get off my dick.

• Forum Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,787 posts
  • Interests:Next to excellence is the appreciation of it. Checkmate, bitch.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

OMG, while reading the last couple of pages of you queens arguing over Barbra Streisand, the song Barbra Streisand by Duck Sauce came up randomly on my iTunes, eerie :rotfl: :rotfl: :sneaky:

God, they're so fucking beautiful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users