TIME Magazine - Ultimate Popstar

BoogieWoogie

Guest Rachelle of London

What a load of poop?

What is Americas obsession with Mariah? When was her last hit? I just don't get why she's so acclaimed.

Its a bullahit list based on WEEKS AT No.1 on tge BILLBOARD singles chart

Axcording to Billboard themselves, Madonna is the #2 singles act of all time, while Pariah is #5

Madonna also has sold more albums and has more #1 albums than Pariah on the Billboard ALBUMS chart

So badically, even in the US, Madonna is more successful than Pariah

Its a ridiculous list for all sorts of reasons. Any list can be skewed to fit an outcome based on the field of data research. Doesn't this one look only at top 10's in USA? If this is something of an accurate picture of the US music scene [and looking to the recent VMA's, it would seem so], then its desperately lacking in artistry or musicianship or talent, and I know America has some extremely talented musicians who are not coming through because the same old shite is being chucked out all the time. Sad state of affairs.

Madonna is clearly #1, and rightly so.

Yeah it's a nonsense list. Billboard themselves compiled a ranking of the most successful Hot 100 artists of all time (with Madonna at #2 behind The Beatles); this is just a poor knock-off version designed to be low-hanging clickbait for internet stans.

This only takes into account Top 10 hits, and fails to factor in the length of stay within the Top 10. So a song that peaked at say #4 but lasted 10 weeks within the Top 10 would receive less points than a song that spent one week at #2, when manifestly the former is the bigger hit. Billboard's methodology for its own list recognised Top 40 hits (and remember reaching the Top 40 has always been the standard metric for a "hit") and incorporated longevity. Time's list is just a redundant version of that.

:dead: @ the top 3

:dead: @ Janet being ranked above her brother

:dead: @ Boyz II Men, Ludacris, Chris Bown etc. being listed at all

:dead: @ Gaga being ranked just one spot behind Elvis Presley

This just totally made my day! Thanks TIME magazine :dead::thumbsup:

Yah, this listing/methodology is pretty flawed. And also note that TIME cherry-picked acts and not every one that would appear does. It looks like it adds number of weeks in the top 10, but the points don't even add up, if you consider that for each entry.

Fittingly, Billboard's methodology is the best one. Someone like Rihanna, through July 2013, already was No. 15, so she is moving up fast,m for sure (along with Katy Perry).

For me the REAL problem about this is the fact that physical sales and digital sales are put together as if it was the same thing. The music industry changed a lot, digital sales made it WAY easier to have big hits in very little time. It's ridiculous and unfair to say artists of the digital era are "above" artists of the physical era just because they have an Internet advantage. Both need to be separated.

^ I still bought singles as I got older but eventually I started thinking with Madonna I am going to buy the album and I can hear it on the radio and MTV. Why do I need to buy the single? I left my single buying for artists who's album I most likely would not be interested in.

If I had the ability to buy music in my teens from home at the cost that singles are today I would have bought everything. It would have been so easy but not sure how much money I would have had to spend which could have been the reason I waited for the album I knew I wanted.

There also was no urgency back then that I remember to get your favorite artist to number one. I was happy to hear Madonna went to number one or had a hit but I didn't feel the need to buy multiple copies of a single to get her to number one.

I bought music I really loved and with Madonna I always wanted the album as a complete artistic expression.

Would be very curious to see what Madonna's numbers would be had digital sales existed back then.

^ I still bought singles as I got older but eventually I started thinking with Madonna I am going to buy the album and I can hear it on the radio and MTV. Why do I need to buy the single? I left my single buying for artists who's album I most likely would not be interested in.

If I had the ability to buy music in my teens from home at the cost that singles are today I would have bought everything. It would have been so easy but not sure how much money I would have had to spend which could have been the reason I waited for the album I knew I wanted.

There also was no urgency back then that I remember to get your favorite artist to number one. I was happy to hear Madonna went to number one or had a hit but I didn't feel the need to buy multiple copies of a single to get her to number one.

I bought music I really loved and with Madonna I always wanted the album as a complete artistic expression.

Would be very curious to see what Madonna's numbers would be had digital sales existed back then.

And that's a good thing! I never did it either, i think it's desperate to buy several times a single or album from any artist to increase his/her sales. Real artists with good music don't need desperate measures like that.

The only problem is the title. 'The Ultimate Pop Star'.

Mariah is probably one of the worst in that respect.

Great pop stars are performers, who at the height of

their success, are on the cusp of the zeitgeist offering

a deliciously wicked mix of politics, fashion, sex and

the overall culture.

Mariah is NONE of those thing.

The End.

Guest bluejean

Mariah was huge for a time but I think even current pop stars like Beyonce will rate above her in hindsight. The idea that she's above Madonna is ridiculous.