'Cause you make the darkness seem so far
And when I'm lost you'll be my guide
I just turn around and you're by my side

[chorus]

Come on shine your heavenly body tonight
'Cause I know you're gonna make everything all right

You may be my lucky star
But I'm the luckiest by far
The opening track on the self-titled album that started it all way back when. Who else could take a famous children's nursery rhyme and turn it into a brazen sexual come-on that delivers pop hooks in spades? This was my absolute favorite of the singles at the time (though Burning Up has edged it out for me a bit over the years). As soon as you hear that twinkling synth and the beat kicks in, you know you are in for a treat. It's hard to think of this song without it's equally fantastic video. It's just her performing with two other dancers with a white background and she couldn't possibly be any more mesmerizing. Her star quality is so evident here and cannot be denied. I can't be the only one who has to force themselves not to do the Lucky Star kick when hearing the song in public, right? I've loved all the live performances of the song, but I don't think they've ever quite measured up to the original. It's certainly not a song with deep philosophical meaning, but it doesn't pretend to be or want to be -it's just pure unabashed fun and I love it for that.
Favorite Lyric: I just think of you and I start to glow
Favorite Musical Part: The opening twinkling synth
Favorite Vocal Part: Shine your heavenly body tonight
One Word That Sums Up This Song: Playful

It does open the album brilliantly and is pop perfection. Much like all the music on the first album it's timeless and 80's at the same time. It has an adorable theme to the song and it sounds slightly ethreal.

Love the video and it was perfect to showcase Madonna dancing early on. Also love that her friend Erika and brother Christopher are in it. Madonna's outfit in the video is also perfect.

OMG my fave madonna song (along with into the groove and get together, I can't pick just one!)

This song is so amazing, I love the opening as well. I get the best feeling whenever it comes on. Catchy as hell and the lyrics are great, she sings with such passion too. Love it love it love it.

CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT.

And yes the video is superb. It's very basic but I can't take my eyes of madonna the whole time. It's one of my favourites.

"Cause I know you're gonna make everything al-riiiiiii-hiiiiiight!"

It does open the album brilliantly and is pop perfection. Much like all the music on the first album it's timeless and 80's at the same time. It has an adorable theme to the song and it sounds slightly ethreal.

Love the video and it was perfect to showcase Madonna dancing early on. Also love that her friend Erika and brother Christopher are in it. Madonna's outfit in the video is also perfect.

OMG my fave madonna song (along with into the groove and get together, I can't pick just one!)

This song is so amazing, I love the opening as well. I get the best feeling whenever it comes on. Catchy as hell and the lyrics are great, she sings with such passion too. Love it love it love it.

CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT.

And yes the video is superb. It's very basic but I can't take my eyes of madonna the whole time. It's one of my favourites.

"Cause I know you're gonna make everything al-riiiiiii-hiiiiiight!"

Larkspur and Carly, could not have said it any better myself. Such a timeless catchy pop song and the video clip shows that Madonna has more star quality and charisma in her little finger than most of the others have in their entire bodies. Just wonderful in every way.

Carly, I love your enthusiastic and spontaneous posts. Don't ever change and that is an order !

I agree! Music is all about how it makes you feel and I love reading how M' s songs affect other fans. Keep that spirit!

The song, video, look, live performances and the album it comes from are pure 80's pop perfection. And sorry Dita but nobody is sexier than The Boy Toy of '83-'85. She's hot in this video, can't keep my eyes off her!