The cold, unpolished production of the Erotica album: Can you appreciate it?

One of the posters here, CzarnaWisnia, called it "grunge dance".

Nonoka isn't a fan :lol:

While I prefer Bedtime Stories, the rawness of Erotica is something that I love, it's simply a night album that makes you feel like a hooker. :wow:

To me the grittiest most unpolished are the ones I love the most.......Erotica, Waiting, Secret Garden, Thief Of Hearts. I've never loved Erotica the way a lot of diehards do, but I have always appreciated the fact that it DOES feel cold, sleazy, dirty and I think that's what she wanted.

Erotica will always have a special place in my heart. I was actually just listening to 'thief of hearts' and it's still one of my all time favorite Madonna songs.

IMO The grittiness is what keeps it fresh today, even if it's in a vintage way. ;-)

Even the remixes of Erotica, Deeper and Deeper and Fever have the same cold, gritty, smoky club sound and feel. I love it then, I love and appreciate it now.

"Grunge Dance", that's brilliant!
I love Erotica, it's the sexiest album ever, I think.

I wouldn't call it "unpolished", I feel its rawness is deliberate and very trip-hoppy. The composition is much more haunting and interesting than your average pop record, there's a lot of friction and desperation, even in the more danceable tracks.

It's incredibly courageous to have made an album like this when she was at the top of her game. I don't see any of the pop acts of today having the balls to take such a risk. I don't even see her able to do something like this again these days, to be completely honest.
So, while I don't think this is her best album, neither musically nor conceptually, I do think this is her ULTIMATE album. The most important and defining one in her carreer. And the fact that it became her first big commercial failure, is just an exquisite irony that adds all the more to it. :)

Edited by s7ven

Oh the remixes are heaven, I agree.

And of course, we have UP DOWN SUITE.

I love "Goodbye to Innocence" too. The final version that appeared on Just Say Roe, not the demo.

Were you tapping into my iPod tonight??? Lol!

I remember when erotica was announced, she described it as "dance with beatnik poetry". I paraphrased, but I'm sure I could dig up the reciepts from my archives.

I've always view Erotica as her first divorce album. And a couple of other breakups for good measure.

Now that I'm 38 and not 17, I can appreciate how hardened her heart was, but still bleeding and fragile. The tough girl that's also a hopeless romantic. Even Deeper and Deeper sounds like a sad song (the video too) The album at complete odds with itself. And it works.

Were you tapping into my iPod tonight??? Lol!

I remember when erotica was announced, she described it as "dance with beatnik poetry". I paraphrased, but I'm sure I could dig up the reciepts from my archives.

I've always view Erotica as her first divorce album. And a couple of other breakups for good measure.

Now that I'm 38 and not 17, I can appreciate how hardened her heart was, but still bleeding and fragile. The tough girl that's also a hopeless romantic. Even Deeper and Deeper sounds like a sad song (the video too) The album at complete odds with itself. And it works.

I swear to God, I also was listening to "Thief of Hearts" around the same time you were typing your first reply to this thread.

I swear to God, I also was listening to "Thief of Hearts" around the same time you were typing your first reply to this thread.

One thing I love about that song (and most of shep's songs with M) is that if you listen to the left speaker separate from the right, they have different instrumentation. A true stereo experience. Also bye bye baby, rain, and words have different vocal takes; left side: melody and right side: harmony. I still pick up on little sounds when I listen to it.

My ultimate Madonna album (as I've said many times before). And the production is something truly special.

The above comments above it feeling raw, dirty, grungy, sometimes cold, harsh...but also romantic, melancholic... it has so many layers not only in the musical production...but in the lyrics as well. It truly envelops you in everything she was feeling at the time. You're not a passive listener with this album...you're taken in and wrapped up in it's warmth and coldness. It's complex, yet so much fun. I love that comment that says it makes you feel like a hooker... and yet, it also makes you long for love, acceptance... and that leads naturally into Bedtime Stories (my second favorite Madonna album).

What an incredible piece of work. Regardless of the commercial aspect...it's truly career defining...and Madonna herself, and her body of work, just wouldn't be what it is without that time...and I feel like a lot of people (both the industry and the public) finally 'get it' with that album. And as said above, no other pop bitch in the game has ever attempted anything so bold, so daring...especially at that point in one's career...

It's what separates her from the rest. Madonna don't fucking play.

One of the posters here, CzarnaWisnia, called it "grunge dance".

Nonoka isn't a fan :lol:

While I prefer Bedtime Stories, the rawness of Erotica is something that I love, it's simply a night album that makes you feel like a hooker. :wow:

Oh no, did I leave such a huge mark on here that you guys remember that? :lol:

Well yeah, I can't really get into it. I understand it was intended to sound like that and I don't deny it seems to have been quite a brilliant idea since it's appreciated by many fans, but, to put it simply, it's just not my cup of tea. Just like I know there are many talented rock singers and bands out there, but don't enjoy their music myself as rock sound doesn't appeal to me. Or like with Isaac.Harris who's not a fan of Like A Prayer because it misses "gems" unlike HC or LAV (fair enough). Different people, different tastes! :thumbsup:

Great you call it a night album though, because that's exactly the time I find myself listening to Erotica! It defo has a night vibe -ish atmosphere!

I LOVE the cold production of Erotica, it was quite a different sound for her and even if it wasn't a huge commercial success, it's one of my favorite Madonna evolutions. She was really ballsy to do that album after Like a Prayer.

Guest bluejean

Yes I fucking love this album start to end. I wouldn't say it has the best songs she's ever done but as a whole package it's brilliant. Totally get the dirty sexy cold vibe she was going for. It's brilliant.

Guest Peter1984

Ban me if you think that real fan must love all from his idol. Just close my mouth forever. For me it will be real totalitarism.

Guest bluejean

It's the soundtrack to when you're heartbroken so you go out and fuck a stranger but it doesn't satisfy you.

Guest bluejean

It's funny how Waiting is like a follow on from Justify.

The way she says "Waiting" is identical. Imagine if she'd incorporated it into The Girlie Show performance.