Live Aid 1985 (MTV Reel) including unseen foootage!

dubtronic

It's hysterical how dismissive she was of Bette Midler. No wonder she introduced her the way she did. Madonna couldn't have given a bigger fuck. They are both so professional in their own way, Bette getting ready to go out and Madonna bossing her crew around (some things never change). Her focus is amazing and she had really only been a major star for 6 months at best.

How famous was Bette in '85? Had her career taken off by then? I don't know anything about her early 80's work.

I remember watching this live, I thought she was angry before she started. but it was just Madonna-style perfectionism :clap:

M8d8Oei_zpsshuajqhz.jpg

originally shared by Heartbeat/M-infinity-forum

https://mega.co.nz/#!2t1TQCgI!cYY2VR7mSjUR5KDOgAaB-ap74Pd3YJ1ox8i8X4S0i4U

Wow that's amazing!! Thanks for posting Dubtronic and thanks to the original person who shared this!! Incredible behind-the-scenes perspective before her first international tour days. Stunning, she looks so cute even when she's not performing but simply checking everything's ready :dramatic:

It's hysterical how dismissive she was of Bette Midler. No wonder she introduced her the way she did. Madonna couldn't have given a bigger fuck. They are both so professional in their own way, Bette getting ready to go out and Madonna bossing her crew around (some things never change). Her focus is amazing and she had really only been a major star for 6 months at best.

How famous was Bette in '85? Had her career taken off by then? I don't know anything about her early 80's work.

Bette Midler is 13 years Madonna senior and has been working since the late 60s

I don't think Madonna was dismissive to her at all or bossy to her crew

She's just being herself: in control and a perfectionist, checking everything's in place before a show

Which is why she was able to sustain a career for over three decades in the first place

And Bette's introduction was ready and written before that handshake lol

Thank you for posting this, Dubtronic!!!!!!

Rugbyguy1, I did not see Madonna being dismissive of Bette Midler or being bossy to her crew but you are right that she was professional and focused. She was also smiling right after she shook hands with Bette.

Love that this moment was caught on tape.

GyftRZnG.gif

GAVEpSAO.jpg

KfRS1Zb4.jpg

So cool! Thanks for posting this! Can't believe it's been 30 years.

Random (personal) trivia: my uncle, who has worked in broadcasting for about 40 years, worked Live Aid. My older cousins (his kids) got to see all the performances, including Madonna's! My other uncle was there, too, and took a pic of M on stage from waaaaay back in the audience. He gave it to me a long time ago, and I have it in an album somewhere. Anyway, just thought I'd share. :)

So cool! Thanks for posting this! Can't believe it's been 30 years.

Random (personal) trivia: my uncle, who has worked in broadcasting for about 40 years, worked Live Aid. My older cousins (his kids) got to see all the performances, including Madonna's! My other uncle was there, too, and took a pic of M on stage from waaaaay back in the audience. He gave it to me a long time ago, and I have it in an album somewhere. Anyway, just thought I'd share. :)

How cool is this !!! Love these kind of moments.

Seeing Madonna backstage before the live performance proves how professional was from the beginning. It could be Freddie Mercury or Elton John or Michael next to her, not only Bette Midler and she would have been the same: focused and ready to give a good performance. She intimidated everyone around her from day 1. She never got intimidated by stars bigger than her back in the day.

Bette Midler is 13 years Madonna senior and has been working since the late 60s

I don't think Madonna was dismissive to her at all or bossy to her crew

She's just being herself: in control and a perfectionist, checking everything's in place before a show

Which is why she was able to sustain a career for over three decades in the first place

And Bette's introduction was ready and written before that handshake lol

Yes & it was her 1st public appearance after Playboy & Penthouse published those nude shots of her.

That's why she said 'I ain't takin' shit off today..'

Guest Pud Whacker

this is marvelous - one of my favorite live madonna days.

anyone that is dismissive of bette and her FUCKING FABULOUS ROCK N ROLL INTRODUCTION is a fucking humorless idiot. and she wasnt being bossy - she was getting ready to give ONE OF THE GREATEST PERFORMANCES of her life.

tumblr_nn6u7c2c0X1qlycwjo1_250.gif

Guest Pud Whacker

Pud is gonna love this

:inlove:

i live for this!!! the day the disco dolly became THE ROCK STAR!!!

and after this she wanted to do STADIUMS!!! and she could. because of this.

Guest Pud Whacker

tumblr_nr2xp7ijXD1qlycwjo1_1280.jpg

Madonna’s boys watching her at Live Aid on July 13, 1985. First photo is buddy Martin Burgoyne, second is fiance Sean Penn, third is Keith Haring! :inlove:

Madonna’s boys watching her at Live Aid on July 13, 1985. First photo is buddy Martin Burgoyne, second is fiance Sean Penn, third is Keith Haring! :inlove:

Wow, well spotted!!!

The brother CC made it seem like he drove up there alone with M.... dont think so

Guest Pud Whacker

Wow, well spotted!!!

The brother CC made it seem like he drove up there alone with M.... dont think so

:rotfl:

ive seen it over 500 times! i was always so thrilled to see them. i still have my VHS recording that i taped off MTV the day it aired.

Pud you are fucking awesome.

Never in a billion years was I gonna ever notice that! It's like when you post about that dress she keeps wearing since the early 80s.

You miss NOTHING!!!!!

Guest Pud Whacker

Pud you are fucking awesome.

Never in a billion years was I gonna ever notice that! It's like when you post about that dress she keeps wearing since the early 80s.

You miss NOTHING!!!!!

:inlove:

Interesting. Very interesting. I don't think I ever saw this in its entirety. Well, I know I haven't bc I never knew she performed a song 'Love Makes The World Go 'Round.' lol there was something so off about this show. All the choreo is there, it's definitely her and it's more than just the clothes that were wrong. That's why it's ... interesting. Is it a during the day thing? idk. I can't quite put my finger on it. I always got the feeling she was a little miffed about being put on during the day, and all the uppity male rockers looking down on her or something that affected her performance.

Such a treat to see again though, esp the behind the scenes (need more of that old skool behind the scenes stuff. Never enough). Thanks for posting.

Yes & it was her 1st public appearance after Playboy & Penthouse published those nude shots of her.

That's why she said 'I ain't takin' shit off today..'

:thumbsup:

Love that part too :inlove:

Wow, well spotted!!!

:rotfl::rotfl:

I wish he wasn't to be seen in all footage/photos from the early stages of her career

The day the disco dolly became THE ROCK STAR!!!

and after this she wanted to do STADIUMS!!! and she could. because of this.

So true!! :dramatic::bow:

The first woman to do an entire stadium tour

Queen

Interesting. Very interesting. I don't think I ever saw this in its entirety. Well, I know I haven't bc I never knew she performed a song 'Love Makes The World Go 'Round.' lol there was something so off about this show. All the choreo is there, it's definitely her and it's more than just the clothes that were wrong. That's why it's ... interesting. Is it a during the day thing? idk. I can't quite put my finger on it. I always got the feeling she was a little miffed about being put on during the day, and all the uppity male rockers looking down on her or something that affected her performance.

Such a treat to see again though, esp the behind the scenes (need more of that old skool behind the scenes stuff. Never enough). Thanks for posting.

I think she came on around 4.30pm US time? I remember missing her as I was out on Saturday evening but heard it on the radio around 9.30pm?

She was a last minute addition too wasn't she? She'd been missed off the 'We Are The World' single as they didn't think much of her and in the meantime, she exploded into a megastar. I could never understand why she was on so early and then have bands like Santana in peak slots who I'd never heard of at the time but she was only six months into being a global star so they put on people who were much more established. Even U2 were on quite early.

I imagine she was very nervous as it was her first opportunity to play live to an international audience and there were one billion people watching! I'd be a control freak with that at the back of my mind!

Still to this day, every time I hear 'Make love not war they say' in LMTWGR I hear the feedback!

I think she came on around 4.30pm US time? I remember missing her as I was out on Saturday evening but heard it on the radio around 9.30pm?

She was a last minute addition too wasn't she? She'd been missed off the 'We Are The World' single as they didn't think much of her and in the meantime, she exploded into a megastar. I could never understand why she was on so early and then have bands like Santana in peak slots who I'd never heard of at the time but she was only six months into being a global star so they put on people who were much more established. Even U2 were on quite early.

I imagine she was very nervous as it was her first opportunity to play live to an international audience and there were one billion people watching! I'd be a control freak with that at the back of my mind!

Still to this day, every time I hear 'Make love not war they say' in LMTWGR I hear the feedback!

Interesting thanks :thumbsup:

Was only 2 at the time so can't have any direct recollections :lol: I didn't know they didn't offer her a part on the WATW single because they didn't think much of her. Love the pics of the nascent star with the established acts. Boy did she outlast and outperform every single one of them. Including U2 as she's sold more records than they have

tumblr_mpvwxloHmN1s23amjo1_1280.jpg

people_live_aid_002.jpg

Interesting thanks :thumbsup:

Was only 2 at the time so can't have any direct recollections :lol: I didn't know they didn't offer her a part on the WATW single because they didn't think much of her. Love the pics of the nascent star with the established acts. Boy did she outlast and outperform every single one of them. Including U2 as she's sold more records than they have

:(

Everyone was asked to perform, boy George, MJ, Prince....

Stevie Wonder boycotted the event as he thought he'd be "the token black guy."

In fact, a lot of people were originally scheduled to perform in the original lineup, but ended up backing out.

I think Dick Clark fought for them to have Madonna on.