Nobody Knows Me interlude : Marine le Pen reacts

The french far right leader whom Madonna impersonates with a swastika on the forehead in the Nobody Knows me interlude reacted this morning about the video

"If she does it in France we'll be waiting for her!" "These old singers, they need to go to these extremes to make people talk about them"

(in French ) http://www.francetv....91/089/6c4.html

WELL FUCKING DONE MADONNA !!! Marine le Pen is a racist whore. The vast majority of the media support Madonna :)

LOL. The same claims over and over again. Madonna does it for publicity. Yeah right. The most famous person on the planet needs to do it for publicity. Publicity for what? To sell her shows in France? Well, they are already sold out from what I have heard. The same claims were made regarding the cross scandal during confessions when at this point all shows were sold out. Ridiculous.

And pardon, what is that supposed to mean? "If she does it in France we'll be waiting for her!" Is that person and her friends gonna smack her up?

Sorry, but this woman does not represent the most basic french values there are: Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

She is a disgrace to France.

they need to go to these extremes to make people talk about them"

why is always this easy excuse used? she is madonna, even her comment about a flower got more worldwide attention than.. her own album launch most stars when they pay millions for promo.

In fact they are pretty pissed because there's an election coming next week and she spent the last two years cleaning her image which Madonna threw right back at her on an INTERNATIONAL level. Still she did not say if she was going to sue.

2 months ago she had to leave the basque country while campaining for the presidential election because she caused a huge riot with thousands of people protesting against her. I guess with her french dancers who are almost all from arabic background (including Brahim) Madonna is pretty aware of the political situation in France.

The presidential race was a nightmare and i still can't fathom the fact that the far right got 18% of the votes and Sarkozy's campaign was just plain horrible focusing on foreigners and muslims.

Well done Madonna and Thank you.

In fact they are pretty pissed because there's an election coming next week and she spent the last two years cleaning her image which Madonna threw right back at her on an INTERNATIONAL level. Still she did not say if she was going to sue.

2 months ago she had to leave the basque country while campaining for the presidential election because she caused a huge riot with thousands of people protesting against her. I guess with her french dancers who are almost all from arabic background (including Brahim) Madonna is pretty aware of the political situation in France.

The presidential race was a nightmare and i still can't fathom the fact that the far right got 18% of the votes and Sarkozy's campaign was just plain horrible focusing on foreigners and muslims.

Well done Madonna and Thank you.

On what basis could she sue? Because someone implies she is a fascist. (I wonder how many millions of people in France and Europe think the same). I think politicians have a hard time to sue against something like this when they are making implications and assumptions all the time without the need to provide any evidence that what they say is fact. And in the case of the Madame Le Pen, she has made her bed a long time ago no matter how hard she tries to clean up her image. And poor thing doesn't realize she has just been trapped. She should have just kept quiet and pray that this goes away unnoticed. But no, she had to open Pandoras Box. This could turn into every political strategists worst nightmare once this will cause a debate. A debacle of epic proportions. The French media will have a field day in destroying Madame Le Pens nicer image. And what do we learn? Don't mess with Madonna and her motherly instincts! You say something bad about her family/children (and most likely she considers her troupe family). Be prepared!

"These old singers, they need to go to these extremes to make people talk about them"

its good to be talked about show...thats the point in some way...but i just cannot belive that everybody who has something bad to say about madonna is that she is old..its so fucking borring and anoying to read this kind of arguments..

the fact that she is old deserve RESPECT not bad thing...

also i can read here on forum that some fans are saying: oh...here she looks great...and there she looks old...why the hell is important to look young? i don t get it. really..its like new way of racism..dont you think? and Marine le Pen is 10 years younger than madonna and she looks older than her. amazeing. just amazeing how people are stupid.

she could say anything else..but the fact that she is old is just stupid.

Guest Fukujima

Marine Le Pen is disgusting, i really hope she's going to disappear from the political scene asap

It's amazing that Madonna is so far advanced in her career that she doesn't need that much publicity anymore...instead she is able to be brave and to say exactly what she thinks! Fuck the publicity - let the truth be known!

She also said that she doesn't "need to get a lecture from a person that throw her panties on stage".

She's referring to the legend in France that she threw her panties to Jacques Chirac during WTGT in 1987.

She also said that she doesn't "need to get a lecture from a person that throw her panties on stage".

She's referring to the legend in France that she threw her panties to Jacques Chirac during WTGT in 1987.

Fabulous. The very same concert with more than 130.000 visitors at Park de Sceaux. And of course THIS: (from 3:00)

Anotther reaction from Marine Le Pen in Le Parisien newspaper this morning :

"By the way, did she give back the children she stole from Malawi ? Or did she finally buy them ?"

:sick:

"By the way, did she give back the children she stole from Malawi ? Or did she finally buy them ?"

It's funny that she said that b/c that just proves Madonna's point of making that video.

They'll let any ignoramus be a politician. People like her are what makes this world so shit. Shame on her.

OMFG. Can't believe this bitch has said something like that. Ugh, Madonna was totally right for bashing this whore.

Marine is a racist, far right nationalist cunt

Yet she managed to get record results in the first round of French presidential elections. She's scary and I hope the French make the right decision at the legislative elections for Assemblee Nationale in June :scared:

That is so low... even for a politician! She must be a little monster...

Le Pen’s Front National to sue Madonna over swastika video

France’s far-right Front National (FN) is planning to sue Madonna over a video that shows party leader and former presidential candidate Marine Le Pen with a swastika on her forehead. The video was shown at a concert the US-born singer gave in Tel Aviv on Thursday.

For the backdrop when she performed the song Nobody knows me in Tel Aviv, Madonna chose a video in which her face was collaged with a number of well-known individuals, ranging from Chinese leader Hu Jinatao to US politician Sarah Palin and from Pope Benedict XVI to Marine Le Pen.

In a split second Le Pen’s eyes and forehead appear with a swastika on them, before her whole face appears, followed by an image resembling Adolf Hitler.

The 53-year-old star is famous for provocative stunts, although less well-known as a commentator on French politics.

Contacted by the 20 Minutes freesheet, the FN said that Le Pen had not had time to watch the video on Friday because she was writing a speech for a rally in Paris that evening.

But a party official called it “incredible” and said that the party’s lawyer, Wallerand de Saint-Just, had been asked to look into what legal action could be taken over it.

“We’ll make money with the case we’re going to bring,” an anonymous source told 20 Minutes.

Le Pen said on Sunday that the party would be watching very closely to see if Madonna uses the video when she performs in Paris on the 14 July national holiday and in Nice on 21 August, without saying whether she will be taking legal action.

12-06-04-madonna-nobody-knows-me-mdna-tour-backdrop.jpg

well...i think its great PR this french racist cow Le Penn!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/06/madonna-highlight-horror-le-pen?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

Madonna was right to highlight the horror of Marine Le Pen

Too many French voters are being apathetic about the rise of far-right Le Pen – I'm glad Madonna has sparked a debate

Madonna-Tel-Aviv-concert-008.jpg

During a concert in Israel Madonna used an image depicting Marine Le Pen with a swastika on her face. Photograph: Venturelli/Redferns via Getty Images

There is nothing simple about the politics of racial hatred, but we all knew what Madonna was getting at when she depicted France's Front National (FN) leader Marine Le Pen with a swastika across her forehead. The image appeared briefly at one of the material girl's concerts in Tel Aviv, and caused a worldwide stir. Reactions ranged from high-fiving cheers of support to Ms Le Pen threatening to sue "if she tries that in France" (note how even legal threats are imbued with aggressive nationalism when they are made by the doyenne of the Gallic far right).

Forgetting the efforts Le Pen has made to reform the image of her party since inheriting it from her father last year, the fact is that it remains a vehicle for Jean-Marie Le Pen's racism and antisemitism. The old bigot is given pride of place at almost every rally, with Marine gently pawing his meaty frame with as much enthusiasm as she panders to his enormous ego. If he wasn't turning 84 later this month, there is no doubt it would have been him rather than Marine who stood as FN candidate for the presidency this year.

The really disturbing part of all this is that Le Pen senior was the runner-up in the presidential election of 2002, while his fawning daughter won around a fifth of the popular vote in 2012. Now she is set to capitalise on the FN's electoral resurgence to try to win them seats in parliament for the first time in two decades, consolidating a respectability that I suggest would be unobtainable in a country such as Britain. Can you imagine the kind of reception a candidate would receive in London if she took to the hustings with a family mentor who has been regularly convicted of Holocaust denial and stirring up hatred against Muslims? Yet I have attended Le Pen meetings all over France, including major cities such as Paris and Marseilles, and have yet to meet a single protester.

There remains a bland amorality in French voters that evokes disturbing memories of the Vichy regime during the second world war. Then, a collaborationist government was allowed to assist in the persecution, and indeed murder of minorities, especially the Jews, effectively because millions did nothing about it. I think about this every time I see the Le Pens and their heavies marching unopposed through the streets, or being interviewed by nonplussed TV journalists who think questions about austerity and the eurozone are more important than ones about segregation and forced deportation.

It often takes an extremist to highlight the dangers of one, and thus Jean-Luc Mélenchon, the eccentric leader of France's communist-backed Left party, will stand against Marine Le Pen in two-round elections for the National Assembly that take place on 10 and 17 June.

Mélenchon says he has become a candidate in Le Pen's fiefdom of Hénin-Beaumont, a depressed northern mining town, to "shine a light on the vampires" of the FN. Such language is, of course, pure Madonna – childishly colourful, catchy, memorable and potentially offensive in equal measure. It neatly sums up people's fears as the FN bids to capture 15 constituencies across France, and so confirm itself as the popular rightwing choice of the unthinking working man and woman. Such a prospect is not a complicated one, and Madonna was entirely right to use her stage show in Israel to hint at the ideological horror it represents.

The FN is a regressive, divisive party that offers nothing to a modern, forward-thinking republic except for historically discredited dogma. An international popstar with the ability to entertain and shock across borders was exactly the right person to instigate global debate on Le Pen and what she represents. Whether Madonna will do the same when she performs in Paris and Nice later this summer only she knows, but plenty of decent people around the world, including many in France, hope that she will.

I read some horrible things online last night. People SO have their knives out for Madonna. It's sad. :(

I just don't understand how people don't get it -- and they don't even seem to understand the context, either, saying it was 'insensitive' or 'in poor judgment/taste' to have a swastika and Hitler projected during her concert in Israel. Hello?! It's split-seconds in a larger canvas of artwork, and it's not like she's holding them up as examples to live by. She's rejecting hateful ideology, and people in Israel needed exhorted/encouraged just as much as anyone in the world. The message needs to be seen/heard there, too. Perhaps moreso!

The video can be described as "anti-bullying," but I think even that is limiting, or not fully recognizing its scope. It is pro-acceptance, pro-tolerance. Not just of sexual identity, but age and sex/gender and class and race and ethnicity (and yes, religion).

Ignorant American alert here, but I wouldn't have been able to tell you this Le Pen woman was included if she wouldn't have made such a fuss. Truthfully. Can she even prove it's definitely her and not a look-a-like? The image is distorted/fragmented, after all, yes? Just her eyes/forehead?

And furthermore, it's interesting to me that this video is different than CT's "Sorry (Remix)" and S&ST's "Get Stupid" interlude. In those, she used video footage in a more straight-forward way. In this video, she keeps putting these other people's eyes and clothing over herself. It's just an interesting statement, that perhaps implies some shared complicity in the socio-political climate of the world around us. On the one hand, perhaps M intends to be showing for a quick moment how these others view the world ('through their eyes' so to speak). On the other, perhaps M is acknowledging that we can all contribute to hate and injustice in the world if we are not careful with our words and actions. (She's said as much -- over a decade ago in the wake of the September 11 attacks, when, during her final DWT concerts, she encouraged people to think globally and consider how we all contribute to acts of terrorism in our own lives.) As much as Madonna may feel compelled to combat a political figure (i.e., G.W. Bush, Palin, or le Pen), she hasn't always done so in a civil, polite way, has she? In fact, she's been quite harsh and belligerent. I doubt she 'regrets' her attitude, but perhaps this -- ever so slightly -- conveys how even she has been guilty of demonizing/villainizing someone with a different viewpoint. Granted, people in leadership have responsibilities, and Madonna can call them to account for that. But there are certainly more thoughtful ways to do so than just saying "F--- so-and-so!" or "Suck so-and-so's [anatomy]!"

I know what I'm saying in this last paragraph may not be received so well, but ... Seriously, it's curious. I wouldn't want to put Hitler's eyes/mustache over my own likeness, as this video does. It makes me ponder what all she's trying to say. The surface message is that Madonna has been bullied by the media and the world community, and so she identifies with others who are mistreated and oppressed.

And I must say the lyrics to NKM fit so well, more so than I had even thought when I first heard the rumor. Interesting how the idea "nobody knows me" might translate so fluidly from a misunderstood celebrity to a closeted individual, for example, or a woman in a misogynistic culture (if you'll forgive me using labels so easily). There are added layers of complexity and more profound meanings to be absorbed out of the lyrics... as if sung by someone who is struggling with suicidal thoughts. Very poignant. (But then, the "Won't let a stranger give me a social disease" can also be said in the voice of a xenophobic hate-monger, too, no? The fear of a foreigner transmitting an undesired malady upon himself/herself, simply through association or co-existence in the same culture/society.)

I don't know. Perhaps I'm going overboard in analysis. But I don't understand why people can't just give it some thought, instead of knee-jerk reacting to this one frame and then claiming Madonna is a Nazi, neo-Nazi, anti-Semite, anti-Muslim, etc. The same slash symbol through the religious icons is displayed over the gay icon, and we all know M's point isn't to promote homophobia. The end of the video clearly presents love, kindness, compassion, generosity as the answer to alienation and isolation experienced by the "voice" of the song (Madonna / bullied teens / oppressed peoples).

^ Good analysis. The interlude is intentionally ambiguous. Obviously, if you KNOW her, you know Madonna is not promoting Nazi's or hate groups. Maybe that is why the whole thing is NOBODY KNOWS ME. Because people assume so much but actually know very little. I still think it is a fantastic montage...and I like it better than "Sorry" or "Beat Goes On". However, I think it might be time to give these political firestorm interludes a rest. How many people can she supposedly compare to Hitler? Last time it was McCain and although I didn't vote for him, he's not anywhere near Hitler. I think this should be the last one to feature the terror tyrants of humanity. We get it already.