Cher on Madonna (Twitter, interviews, etc.)

elijah

Guest Xanthium

Kate Bush is absolutely a pop star. She may not fit the definition of what one is considered today but during her heyday she was always mainstream and popular. Her kind of schtick was very popular in the late 70s/early 80s.

Guest Xanthium

Like Bjork, Kate is an alternative artist who just happens to have had success on the charts! This does not make her or her music Mainstream!

Mainstream music is not exclusively pop. It also incorporates other genres and categories of music.

Kate Bush made catchy pop songs and so did Barbra and Cher. That means fuck all either way when it comes to creative genius. I think Kate Bush is a great artist and I like her music but putting her on this pedestal is naive and delusional. She's a mainstream artist. Therefore she is POP. Sorry if that's hard for you to deal with but it's a fact.

Prince is mainstream and I consider him a musical genius and I don't believe I'm alone.

The only Madonna album I think is crap and too much commerical is Hard Candy.

p.s I don't think taht catchy commercial is always crap, but there is a lot of crap in the 21th century.

Anyway, I replied to Trevchambers, who said: "Kate Bush is shitty brit singer. 2 good songs maybe." Which isn't truth.

I would say the same thing if some person would say that Madonna is shitty singer and has a few good songs....

Oh my god. :dead: Kate Bush is so hardcore and not pop that's why she's signed to EMI and performed on TOTP like five times and had music videos paid for by record label advances. :doh: If Kate was sexy you'd consider her differently. She's a pop star and anybody who thinks otherwise either has very little knowledge or a limited world view.

Prince is mainstream and I consider him a musical genius and I don't believe I'm alone.

I never said that being mainstream and a musical genius were mutually exclusive. I consider Beethoven a musical genius. Prince is a very skilled musician and I think it should be obvious to anybody what the difference between the two is. There's no living musical genius. It's a term misused frequently. Madonna's genius is in the overall presentation of her work. If I'd never seen Madonna live/watched her videos I'd think she was a great artist. Seeing the full expression she has within her work and the broader contextual factors in it is what suggests 'genius' to me. She's a highly skilled songwriter with a great melodic instinct and very soulful approach to electronic music. I think that's what sets her apart as somebody special.