Do you guys find JML from the Girlie show sexy enough?

george28

So I have been re watching all of Madonna's tours all week working up my excitement for the Rebel Heart tour, and just earlier I was watching the Girlie show, and was just wondering if you guys think that the whole performance of JML did justice to the song as far as it's sexy, sultry, lyrics and meaning is concerned? The costumes were great, and I liked the whole vibe and feel to it, but I think personally that a song like JML, which has to be like the second most sexiest Madonna song after Erotica, was to be performed in a more sexier manner, with more provocative costumes and moves between Madge and the dancers. Girlie show was considered highly controversial for its time yet for me JML was pretty vanilla

It's hauntingly beautiful and effective and simple

And the antithesis of the video. Even the bit where the dancers as sunset the black sheet moving around is visually stunning and then the breakdown into JUSTIFY BABY and then the eerie outro. Typically fabulous

Huh uh what? :blink: Doing it all sexed up would've been obvious and tired. She subverted it. The performance is inspired, magnificent high art. It's her 3rd greatest concert performance of all time and the greatest performance of all time by anybody featuring a black and white checkered backdrop.

Lol ok well I never said I considered it a bad performance just didn't see the sexiness of the song. However then I did start to realize she wanted to differentiate and not do something predictable and then when I read the pov of others I started to think different

That was the whole point of the performance. With all the Erotica and SEX theme of the show and the era she wanted to go the complete other way for JML. I'm pretty sure she's said it herself in interviews too. And yes we all know Madonna likes to flip things upside down and do complete 180s when it comes to her art to mess with people's heads and to be interesting as an artist. She's a true artist that way. If you think it's not sexy enough then you must be one of those literal non-ironic types that don't get 99% of what Madonna does!!

I thought it was brilliant . It was a great take on the song . I love that GS was inspired by old musicals like The Kind and I ( Vogue ) and JML ( My Fair Lady ) etc .

Huh uh what? :blink: Doing it all sexed up would've been obvious and tired. She subverted it. The performance is inspired, magnificent high art. It's her 3rd greatest concert performance of all time and the greatest performance of all time by anybody featuring a black and white checkered backdrop.

PREACH DADDY.

Yeah but she was older there, plus she was still married to Guy Richie so she was still acting all lady like, I think once the Confessions tour hit provocative Madge slowly started to surface again

You want to talk about a fucking VANILLA performance? Look no further than this horrible shit.

wow... i haven't watched much of RIT videos apart from the NKM and Vogue opening, i didn't know Cloud and Mihran was part of it...

I still play this live version. The opening synths right through to the speeded up ending with the final sinister synths is still amazing!

I loved how she based it on the Ascot Gavotte from My Fair Lady. So dark and unexpected.

MyFairAscot1.jpg

Thing is that Madonna was facing the full swing of the Sex backlash by this point, I remember being actually surprised at the orgy section in the Girlie Show, I really thought she'd tone it down in light of the shit she was taking from the tabloid and I'm glad she didn't. But like someone else said, Justify My Love done as another sexual piece would have been too obvious and probably a bit much after the erotica opening and orgy. Not too much as in too controversial, too much as in, what? ANOTHER orgy?!

I find that performance so avant gard, exciting, absolutely mind blowing! The true meaning is so deep and once again she delivers the message. The costume, the moves and the whole vibe is an assault to the senses. Can't believe you think it's vanilla. lol

Besides, as someone else already pointed out she already put an orgy out there with Deeper And Deeper. This time was more about the people criticising that kind of behaviour.

^never seen that! omg!

That bodyguard is good, M is super professional, stays concentrated during and after, such a trouper!