Nobody Knows Me interlude : Marine le Pen reacts

Thanks, Nightshade... Funny, I almost included McCain in the list of folks she's taken to task. I don't think she compared him directly to Hitler, but he seemed to be the tail end of the "rogues' gallery," whilst Obama was at the tail end of the assembly of positive people (Bono, Oprah, Mother Teresa, Bob Geldof, etc.). Of course, you could argue McCain wasn't being vilified, but rather starting off the 'good guys' as a representative of Western democracy. Unlikely though it would be -- and that one certainly ended as a political campaign commercial for Obama. Interesting that he's included this time around (in NKM) but it's not as blatantly supportive of him as a candidate. (I've wondered about that in the past year or so... I've no doubt she'd support Obama in this election, but he certainly hasn't made any public acknowledgment of her support last time. Beyonce, Brad and Angelina ... there've been some high profile celebrity meet'n'greets, but Madonna's not made it to the White House that we've been told. Curious.)

Sorry for the super long post above, by the way. I just think NKM is so thoughtful and moving. It is 'ironic' that the repeated message -- nobody knows me -- proves prophetic and accurate yet again. Indeed, M, indeed. After all this time, she's still misunderstood and 'unknown' in that sense.

Interesting that he's included this time around (in NKM) but it's not as blatantly supportive of him as a candidate. (I've wondered about that in the past year or so... I've no doubt she'd support Obama in this election, but he certainly hasn't made any public acknowledgment of her support last time.

Well, there was this from Showbiz Tonight on CNN (in August 2008):

Obama is also slamming the Madonna ad. In a statement, his campaign says, quote, "These comparisons are outrageous and offensive and have no place in the political process."

And Obama is also using the whole flap to take a shot at his rival saying, quote, "We hope that John McCain will offer a similar condemnation as his allies increasingly practice sleazy swift boat politics."

I think even the Obama campaign thought she was going a little overboard. I think that's why Obama probably never sought her political friendship or help...Madonna's just a lighting rod for this stuff and she is polarizing. Obama isn't known for his love of overly dramatic political fights. Also, she was a big supporter of Hillary before the Democratic primary began.

However, he didn't exactly disown Beyonce, Brad and Angelina ... there've been some high profile celebrity meet'n'greets, but Madonna's not made it to the White House that we've been told. Curious.)

It's possible it's not that important to her. Or, it is possible his staff have sought to keep him clear of her. Of course, if he met with Lady Gaga, I am sure Madonna could meet with him if she really wanted to.

So now she is now suing Madonna for $ 1,000,000 !

news-of-Madonna :UPDATE,

Madonna créée la polémique en France avec Marine Le Pen...

Jean Marie Le Pen réclame 1 million de dollars à Madonna !

So now she is now suing Madonna for $ 1,000,000 !

news-of-Madonna :UPDATE,

Madonna créée la polémique en France avec Marine Le Pen...

Jean Marie Le Pen réclame 1 million de dollars à Madonna !

Doesn't France have freedom of speech? So le Pen can silence those who dare to disagree and express themselves. What a lovely vision for France's future.

Doesn't France have freedom of speech? So le Pen can silence those who dare to disagree and express themselves. What a lovely vision for France's future.

yes exactly what I thought. its like we're back to 1940-45.

but this is not france, its just one political party.

Madonna and team are smart people. i believe they make these video interludes in such a way that they can not be sued over them...

I don't even think it's a proper swastika b/c it's going the opposite way.

"Does the Direction of the Swastika Matter?

In ancient times, the direction of the swastika was interchangeable as can be seen on an ancient Chinese silk drawing.

Some cultures in the past had differentiated between the clockwise swastika and the counter-clockwise

sauvastika. In these cultures the swastika symbolized health and life while the sauvastika took on a mystical meaning of bad-luck or misfortune.

But since the Nazis use of the swastika, some people are trying to differentiate the two meanings of the swastika by varying its direction - trying to make the clockwise, Nazi version of the swastika mean hate and death while the counter-clockwise version would hold the ancient meaning of the symbol, life and good-luck."

They could have purposely made it that way to avoid being sued?

reading those comments, both the right and the left dont seem too happy with the video. but the left seem to misunderstand her interpretation, thinking she is mocking muslims.

^ Good analysis. The interlude is intentionally ambiguous. Obviously, if you KNOW her, you know Madonna is not promoting Nazi's or hate groups. Maybe that is why the whole thing is NOBODY KNOWS ME. Because people assume so much but actually know very little. I still think it is a fantastic montage...and I like it better than "Sorry" or "Beat Goes On". However, I think it might be time to give these political firestorm interludes a rest. How many people can she supposedly compare to Hitler? Last time it was McCain and although I didn't vote for him, he's not anywhere near Hitler. I think this should be the last one to feature the terror tyrants of humanity. We get it already.

Give a break on her points of view? NO WAY DUDE!

That's what I love about Madonna! "Oops! I didn't know I couldn't talk about...."

Give a break on her points of view? NO WAY DUDE!

That's what I love about Madonna! "Oops! I didn't know I couldn't talk about...."

Exactly! A silent Madonna isn't really Madonna at all.

I think the video is a redundant garbled mess. The usual goodies / baddies theme that popstars roll out. Patronising and pointless. The fact that she goes to the Superbowl and camps it up spectacularly and the GGW opening is far more of a political and social statement. The RIP bit at the end just seems tacked on. I think another song and theme could have made better use of their images.

As for 'freedom of speech', that is an American thing. We don't actually have a written constitution in the UK but you can't just say anything - obviously, we are free to express our opinions but, at the same time, you can't promote messages of hate etc e.g. the 'Gods hate fags' brigade in the US would be arrested for inciting hatred and I think we're better for it. France may be the same.

The motivation to sue is so see-through. It's not the money. They won't get any. And they know it. Fact is the video interlude is a piece of art. It transports a certain message of the creator. This message is hidden in distorted images and is therefore open for discussion and debate. In result there will be all kinds of interpretation that will lead to different kinds of reaction. And what have we heard so far: it's slander and defamation of Marine Le Pen, it's anti-semite, it's anti-muslim, it's anti-catholic, it's homophobic, it's racist. So what is it actually? This is no different to people who write and wrote books that always had criticism in its content. Usually criticism of the potentates, kings, queens, popes, dictators, the list goes on. In fear for punishment or even death (nowadays defamtion lawsuits) poets and painters, filmmakers etc. were disguising their messages to get the message across. This goes back for many thousand years. We certainly remember the very same question from the literature courses at school: "What is the author trying to say?".

This lawsuit is only meant to mobilize the basis of the FN and every other voter who feels so horribly misunderstood to vote for FN in the next elections. Playing the victims card, making in it a personal affair to every French. Even worse, a foreigner critizising the people of the Grand Nation. Unheard of. If the whole situation will make voters think again or if they will vote for FN now more than ever because of this "offense" remains to be seen.

^ Good analysis. The interlude is intentionally ambiguous. Obviously, if you KNOW her, you know Madonna is not promoting Nazi's or hate groups. Maybe that is why the whole thing is NOBODY KNOWS ME. Because people assume so much but actually know very little. I still think it is a fantastic montage...and I like it better than "Sorry" or "Beat Goes On". However, I think it might be time to give these political firestorm interludes a rest. How many people can she supposedly compare to Hitler? Last time it was McCain and although I didn't vote for him, he's not anywhere near Hitler. I think this should be the last one to feature the terror tyrants of humanity. We get it already.

She did not compare McCain to Hitler, that was just some stupid crap the press conjured up. Watching Get Stupid it's almost bizarre how they even came up with that nonsense.

This disgusting racist bitch has anothing thing coming if she thinks she is taking on POLITICALDONNA.

I bet you that Madonna will not only play the video at her France concerts, but she'll probably even make a reference to that racist bitch in a speech at the 14 July Paris show.

It'll be like the time she wiped the floor with that whore Sarah Palin during Sticky. :lmao:

This disgusting racist bitch has anothing thing coming if she thinks she is taking on POLITICALDONNA.

I bet you that Madonna will not only play the video at her France conerts, but she'll probably even make a reference to that bitch in a speech at the 14 July Paris show. :lmao:

And she will be singing the Marseillaise together with 80.000 people. It will be even more epic than performing Don't cry for me Argentina in Buenes Aires. :dramatic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wtnjiePA7A

I bet you that Madonna will not only play the video at her France concerts, but she'll probably even make a reference to that racist bitch in a speech at the 14 July Paris show.

It'll be like the time she wiped the floor with that whore Sarah Palin during Sticky. :lmao:

I hope she does too - this bitch is disgusting and has a very sharp and nasty tongue - a comprehensive fuck-off by Madonna, pointed at her directly, in front of 50,000 French fans is what she deserves.

• 1 month later...

Here we go.

http://in.reuters.co...E86E06H20120715

French far right to sue Madonna over swastika images

(Reuters) - France's far right National Front will sue Madonna after she screened footage of party leader Marine Le Pen with a swastika superimposed on her face at a concert in Paris on Saturday, a party official said.

The video shown on a huge screen has already been used on other legs of the U.S. singer's tour and shows the singer's face merging with other public figures, such as Pope Benedict and former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who was toppled by popular protests last year.

The face of the National Front leader appears for a few seconds, with the Fascist symbol briefly imposed on it, and is followed by the features of a man resembling Adolf Hitler.

"A private plaintiff's case for insult will be presented next week," Florian Philippot, vice-president of the National Front, told Reuters.

He called the images an "unacceptable" provocation for attempting to associate Le Pen, who won 18 percent of the vote in April's first-round presidential election in France, with fascism.

Since taking the reins of the National Front last year from her ex-paratrooper father Jean-Marie, Le Pen has tried to widen her party's appeal by expelling extremists and cracking down on racist talk and anti-Semitism.

"It is our duty to bring a complaint to defend our voters and our supporters," Philippot said.

Although Le Pen's calls for protectionism and for France's to exit the euro currency have won sympathy with some parts of the electorate, the party won only two seats in the 577-member National Assembly in last month's legislative elections, partly due to France's first-past-the-post electoral system.

"A private plaintiff's case for insult will be presented next week," Florian Philippot, vice-president of the National Front, told Reuters.

"Private"? I don't know about France, but usually politicians cannot sue for defamation or slander in regard to anything that has to do with their political stance claiming to be a private person. If you are a politician you are a public figure. Especially if you ran for a public office like the presidency or a seat in some kind of parliament or council. In addition, it is safe to say that it's not the first that Madame LePen was portrayed as a Nazi. I'm sure that there were even people who said it directly in her face. So why is she suing now? This case will be tossed out immediately.

She did not compare McCain to Hitler, that was just some stupid crap the press conjured up. Watching Get Stupid it's almost bizarre how they even came up with that nonsense.

He's featured in a sequence of terrible people. I am not sure what other conclusion one would make? I think the video clearly delineates between "this is some bad shit" followed by "this is some good shit."

He's featured in a sequence of terrible people. I am not sure what other conclusion one would make? I think the video clearly delineates between "this is some bad shit" followed by "this is some good shit."

Exactly! It was so obviously meant to be McCain with the baddies and here's Obama and Mother Theresa etc. It couldn't have been anymore simple.

As for this example, I don't know who someone from the far right could win this case. It will be interesting to see what happens. Perhaps it's just PR to be seen to be doing something.

McCain was featured right after some other right wing US politician, I can't remember who. Hitler and Mugabe were juxtaposed together... McCain's image doesn't show up until a good 30 seconds later. Like I said, the whole thing is bullcrap.

It's kinda odd that Marine complains that Madonna does it for attention and then BRINGS attention TO the video by making a big media storm about it???

The video wasn't getting any attention until Marine made a huge fuss.

Is she really THAT upset over it? i mean, i know it doesn't show her in the best light :lol: but it's a blink and you'll miss it moment of a tour video, i'm surprisd she's SO offended.

McCain was featured right after some other right wing US politician, I can't remember who. Hitler and Mugabe were juxtaposed together... McCain's image doesn't show up until a good 30 seconds later. Like I said, the whole thing is bullcrap.

McCain is sandwiched between Robert Mugabe and Kim Jong-Il and some, presumably republican politician; not exactly esteemed company! It's definitely not a PR campaign.