Rome Church condemns Madonna's crucifixion stunt

thebigham

Rome Church condemns Madonna's crucifixion stunt

By Rachel Sanderson

ROME (Reuters) - Rome's Catholic, Muslim and Jewish leaders have united to condemn pop star Madonna's decision to stage a mock-crucifixion when she performs in the Italian capital on Sunday a stone's throw away from Vatican City.

The lapsed-Catholic diva's latest irreverent performance sees her wearing a fake crown of thorns and descending on a suspended, glittery cross as part of her worldwide "Confessions Tour."

Having already been criticized in the United States, Catholics priests from across the Eternal City have gone one further saying the act "comes close to blasphemy."

"It is disrespectful, in bad taste and provocative," Father Manfredo Leone from Rome's Santa Maria Liberatrice church said late on Wednesday about the star's latest stage stunt.

"Being raised on a cross with a crown of thorns like a modern Christ is absurd. Doing it in the cradle of Christianity comes close to blasphemy."

In an unusual show of religious solidarity, Muslim and Jewish leaders added their condemnation of the self-styled Queen of Pop, famous for peppering her concerts and videos with controversial religious and sexual imagery.

"I think her idea is in the worst taste and she'd do better to go home," Mario Scialoja, head of Italy's Muslim League said.

Riccardo Pacifici, spokesman and vice president of the Roman Jewish community, added Madonna should have pulled the routine considering where she was performing -- a stadium a mile from the gates of Vatican City.

It is not the first time Madonna, who has a Catholic Italian-American father, has raised the ire of the Catholic Church.

Catholic leaders condemned as blasphemous her controversial 1989 video for hit song "Like a Prayer," featuring burning crosses, statues crying blood and Madonna seducing a black Jesus.

In 2004, a Vatican group warned that her latest religious belief "Kabbalah," a mystical form of Judaism, was a potential threat to the Roman Catholic faithful.

Madonna, 47, has refused to kowtow to Italy's Catholic sensibilities, but in an interview published on Thursday she had nothing but praise for her Italian background.

She told Italy's edition of Vanity Fair her "good Italian genes" were the reason for her staying in shape, famously allowing her to writhe in a leotard in a recent video.

From E Online News...

LIKE A NAYSAYER: Rome's Catholic, Jewish and Muslim leaders coming together in a rare display of unity to condemn Madonna's plan to stage her mock-crucifixion scene on the Rome stop of her Confessions Tour Sunday, complaining that the singer should pull the stunt out of consideration for where she is performing. The Material Girl's still got what it takes to stir up a little controversy.

LIKE A DO-GOODER: Meanwhile, Madonna upping her chances of not going directly to hell by revealing to Time magazine her plans to care for orphans in Malawi, Africa. The artist has already committed to raising at least $3 million to fund programs for children in need.

Sigh Isn't it a shame that the Catholic church will speak out about a Madonna's concert but wont do a

damn thing about all the perverts in their religion who molest young boys. How many lives have been

runined by pervert Catholic priests over the years?? Any why the fuck don't those religious leader address the fact that she is trying to raise Aids awareness. Or the fact that she is trying to help raise money for Malawi which suffers from drought, poverty, disease and famine. What a bunch of tossers.

Guest jamesshot

They sure are quick to comment when Madonna does anything but you can hear crickets churping when it comes to them saying anything about their Priests molesting kids. Shows you their priorities and what they think is the real threat.

How is her 'cruxifiction' any different from someone playing Jesus in a movie? Unless I missed something, she is not making fun of Jesus, denying Jesus in any way nor saying he was a bad person. It seems she reaffirms, in the show, what Jesus REALLY stood for, no? If anything, it portrays Jesus as someone who would care for the poor, downtrodden. Wow, what blasphemy!

Guest Topaz Scorpio
The show will go on, though, correct? Unlike the BAT, where she was forced to cancel.

She only cancelled 1 show in Rome according to the list below. But she did perform one night.

Tour Schedule:

13/4/90 - Chiba Marine Stadium, Tokyo, Japan

14/4/90 - Chiba Marine Stadium, Tokyo, Japan

15/4/90 - Chiba Marine Stadium, Tokyo, Japan

20/4/90 - Nishinomya Stadium, Osaka, Japan

21/4/90 - Nishinomya Stadium, Osaka, Japan

22/4/90 - Nishinomya Stadium, Osaka, Japan

25/4/90 - Yokohama Stadium, Yokohama, Japan

26/4/90 - Yokohama Stadium, Yokohama, Japan

27/4/90 - Yokohama Stadium, Yokohama, Japan

4/5/90 - The Summit, Houston, Texas

5/5/90 - The Summit, Houston, Texas

7/5/90 - Reunion Arena, Dallas, Texas

8/5/90 - Reunion Arena, Dallas, Texas

11/5/90 - LA Sports Arena, Los Angeles, California

12/5/90 - LA Sports Arena, Los Angeles, California

13/5/90 - LA Sports Arena, Los Angeles, California

15/5/90 - LA Sports Arena, Los Angeles, California

16/5/90 - LA Sports Arena, Los Angeles, California

18/5/90 - Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, California

19/5/90 - Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, California

20/5/90 - Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, California

23/5/90 - Rosemont Horizon, Chicago, Illinois

24/5/90 - Rosemont Horizon, Chicago, Illinois

25/5/90 - Rosemont Horizon, Chicago, Illinois (cancelled)

27/5/90 - SkyDome, Toronto, Ontario

28/5/90 - SkyDome, Toronto, Ontario

29/5/90 - SkyDome, Toronto, Ontario

31/5/90 - The Palace, Auburn Hills, Michigan

01/6/90 - The Palace, Auburn Hills, Michigan

4/6/90 - The Centrum, Worcester, Massachusetts

5/6/90 - The Centrum, Worcester, Massachusetts

6/6/90 - The Centrum, Worcester, Massachusetts (cancelled)

8/6/90 - Capital Center, Landover, Maryland

9/6/90 - Capital Center, Landover, Maryland

11/6/90 - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York

12/6/90 - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York

13/6/90 - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York

15/6/90 - The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA (cancelled)

16/6/90 - The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA

17/6/90 - The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA

20/6/90 - Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey

21/6/90 - Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey

22/6/90 - Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey (cancelled)

24/6/90 - Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey

25/6/90 - Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey

30/6/90 - Eriksberg Stadium, Goteborg, Sweden

3/7/90 - Palais Omnipsorts, Paris, France

4/7/90 - Palais Omnisports, Paris, France

6/7/90 - Palais Omnisports, Paris, France

10/7/90 - Stadio Flamino, Rome, Italy

11/7/90 - Stadio Flamino, Rome, Italy (cancelled)

13/7/90 - Stadio Delgll Alpi, Turin, Italy

15/7/90 - Reimer Reitstadion, Munich, Germany

17/7/90 - Westfallen Halle, Dortmund, Germany

20/7/90 - Wembley Stadium, London, United Kingdom

21/7/90 - Wembley Stadium, London, United Kingdom

22/7/90 - Wembley Stadium, London, United Kingdom

24/7/90 - Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam, Holland

27/7/90 - Vincente Calderon Stadium, Madrid, Spain

29/7/90 - Balaidos Stadium, Vigo, Spain

1/8/90 - Olympic Stadium, Barcelona, Spain

5/8/90 - Stade De L'Ouest, Nice, France

5/8/90 - Stade De L'Ouest, Nice, France

They sure are quick to comment when Madonna does anything but you can hear crickets churping when it comes to them saying anything about their Priests molesting kids. Shows you their priorities and what they think is the real threat.

How is her 'cruxifiction' any different from someone playing Jesus in a movie? Unless I missed something, she is not making fun of Jesus, denying Jesus in any way nor saying he was a bad person. It seems she reaffirms, in the show, what Jesus REALLY stood for, no? If anything, it portrays Jesus as someone who would care for the poor, downtrodden. Wow, what blasphemy!

Excellent point :clap:

03/08/06 - Showbiz section

'Excommunicate Madonna'

By Nick Pisa, Evening Standard

The Vatican accused Madonna of blasphemy and profanity today over her controversial stage act.

Senior figures in Rome, where she is to appear in front of 75,000 fans on Sunday, called for her to be excommunicated.

They launched a scathing attack over the star wearing a crown of thorns while hanging from a huge cross as she sings Live To Tell during her Confessions Tour.

Cardinal Ersilio Tonino, speaking with the approval of Pope Benedict XVI, said: "This time the limits have really been pushed too far.

"This (concert) is a blasphemous challenge to the faith and a profanation of the cross. She should be excommunicated."

He added: "To crucify herself during the concert in the city of Popes and martyrs is an act of open hostility. It is nothing short of a scandal and an attempt to generate publicity.

"What is really offensive is the exaggeration of it all; it is clearly anti-Church, poor taste and most of all, an insult to Christ.

"The time will come when this woman will realise that Christ died on the cross for her as well, that he spilt his blood for her. I feel pity for her.

"I just want to tell her that she must really have reached rock bottom if she feels that to attract the attention of the media she has to enact Christ's suffering and death on the cross."

Another Vatican official, Bishop Velasio De Paolis, said: " Wizards and satanists use religious objects for black masses and she is simply following them.

"How this woman can take the name of the mother of Christ I don't know. Her show represents the rotten fruit of secularism and the absurdity of evil. What adds to the offence is that she is doing this in the city which is the cradle of the Roman Catholic faith.

"A few months ago there was fury at the cartoons of Mohammed. Here we have a blatant profanity of the cross and no one bats an eyelid."

Madonna, 47, who was brought up a Catholic, said in an interview with the Italian edition of Vanity Fair that her horse riding accident last year brought her closer to God.

She said: "That was the first serious accident of my life, which is strange when you think how long I have been dancing. I was immobile in bed for more than a month. I was covered in bruises and in agony.

"I couldn't use my left arm, my shoulders and the upper part of my body. It made me look at life in a new way. It was as if I had been reborn.

"While I was lying there still, I looked up at the ceiling and promised God, 'I am never going to complain, moan or grumble or be ungrateful again'. " Madonna has insisted that her back-stage dressing room at Rome's Olympic Stadium is decorated completely in white, with white roses and soya snacks.

She has insisted on a new lavatory which must be removed when the concert is over and destroyed so that it does not end up on an internet auction site.

Guest jamesshot
03/08/06 - Showbiz section

'Excommunicate Madonna'

By Nick Pisa, Evening Standard

The Vatican accused Madonna of blasphemy and profanity today over her controversial stage act.

Senior figures in Rome, where she is to appear in front of 75,000 fans on Sunday, called for her to be excommunicated.

They launched a scathing attack over the star wearing a crown of thorns while hanging from a huge cross as she sings Live To Tell during her Confessions Tour.

Cardinal Ersilio Tonino, speaking with the approval of Pope Benedict XVI, said: "This time the limits have really been pushed too far.

"This (concert) is a blasphemous challenge to the faith and a profanation of the cross. She should be excommunicated."

He added: "To crucify herself during the concert in the city of Popes and martyrs is an act of open hostility. It is nothing short of a scandal and an attempt to generate publicity.

"What is really offensive is the exaggeration of it all; it is clearly anti-Church, poor taste and most of all, an insult to Christ.

"The time will come when this woman will realise that Christ died on the cross for her as well, that he spilt his blood for her. I feel pity for her.

"I just want to tell her that she must really have reached rock bottom if she feels that to attract the attention of the media she has to enact Christ's suffering and death on the cross."

Another Vatican official, Bishop Velasio De Paolis, said: " Wizards and satanists use religious objects for black masses and she is simply following them.

"How this woman can take the name of the mother of Christ I don't know. Her show represents the rotten fruit of secularism and the absurdity of evil. What adds to the offence is that she is doing this in the city which is the cradle of the Roman Catholic faith.

"A few months ago there was fury at the cartoons of Mohammed. Here we have a blatant profanity of the cross and no one bats an eyelid."

Madonna, 47, who was brought up a Catholic, said in an interview with the Italian edition of Vanity Fair that her horse riding accident last year brought her closer to God.

She said: "That was the first serious accident of my life, which is strange when you think how long I have been dancing. I was immobile in bed for more than a month. I was covered in bruises and in agony.

"I couldn't use my left arm, my shoulders and the upper part of my body. It made me look at life in a new way. It was as if I had been reborn.

"While I was lying there still, I looked up at the ceiling and promised God, 'I am never going to complain, moan or grumble or be ungrateful again'. " Madonna has insisted that her back-stage dressing room at Rome's Olympic Stadium is decorated completely in white, with white roses and soya snacks.

She has insisted on a new lavatory which must be removed when the concert is over and destroyed so that it does not end up on an internet auction site.

O......M.......G!

What a bunch of freakin loons! With all the shit going on in the world, they get riled up over THIS? If anyone is Anti-Christ, it is these freaks.

Associated Press

In an e-mail to The Associated Press on Thursday, the singer's New York-based spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, said: "Madonna does not think Jesus would be mad at her, as his teaching of loving thy neighbor and tolerance is Madonna's message as well. The context of Madonna's performance on the crucifix is not negative nor disrespectful toward the church."

Guest jamesshot

She was never ex-communicated. And it is a big deal to be ex-communicated. I imagine it would hurt her to be ex-communicated even though she doesnt consider herself necessarily a Catholic anymore. Her mother was Catholic and her father still is, so I imagine it would sting a bit.

She was never ex-communicated. And it is a big deal to be ex-communicated. I imagine it would hurt her to be ex-communicated even though she doesnt consider herself necessarily a Catholic anymore. Her mother was Catholic and her father still is, so I imagine it would sting a bit.

I really don't think she'd care to be honest. Her father definately would. But Madonna is aware of the state of the Catholic church and what she is risking when she uses imagery in her shows in such a way. If she really wanted to avoid these issues she wouldn't bother with being on the cross.

Guest jamesshot

I really believe it would bother her. Seriously, being ex-communicated is a big deal and you can tell, she still has Catholic feelings running deep in her( didnt she say so on The View?)

They would truly show how petty they are if they did ex-communicate her. In any event, I think the Catholic Church has some very evil people very high up.

Guest jamesshot

This is even making all the Houston news programs. She hasnt done that since she was married.

People will say this is a stunt, and for sure it is on her part. But, so what? She is making a (very valid) point about What Would Jesus Do? Again, so what if she is wearing thorns and hanging on a cross. Actors have played Jesus in movies, why cant she play Jesus in her concert? Once more, she says nothing negative about Jesus, doesnt deny him, doesnt say anything negative about The Catholic Church or Christianity in any way shape or form. I hope this blows up in their face and she can make this into a landmark moment in her career.

This really has the potential to be huge! If they actually ex-communicate her, which seems likely because this time they all but said they would do it if she performs on the cross in Rome, THIS WILL BE HUGE! If she plays it right, she can really come out of this adding mightily to her legendary status. Play is smart Mo!

It angers me that the true intent of the performance is lost on these people. Its not like she is Marilyn Manson tearing pages of the Bible out on stage. There is nothing offensive about it at all. Its beautiful, thought provoking, powerful and moving. I hope Madonna knows that her fans get it.