Bjork on the charts

Guest Bad Robot

Guest Bad Robot

Would you guys help me compile some Bjork stats in the US?

Here's what I know:

Hot 100

#88 Big Time Sensuality (1994)

#84 Earth Intruders (2007)

Bubbling Under

#9 Human Behaviour (1993)

#9 It's Oh So Quiet (1995)

Club Play - there are probably more hits on this chart, I just don't know them

#1 Big Time Sensuality (1994)

#1 Hyper-ballad (1996)

#1 I Miss You (1996)

Billboard 200

#61 Debut (1993) - 918,000

#32 Post (1995) - 810,000

#66 Telegram (1996) - 228,000 (as of 1/02 -- likely outsold Medulla by now)

#28 Homogenic (1997) - 501,000

#41 Selmasongs (2000)

#19 Vespertine (2001) - 402,000 (first week: 75,000)

#115 Greatest Hits (2003)

#14 Medulla (2004) - 235,000

#9 Volta (2007) - 43,000 (first week)

RIAA

Debut - Platinum

Post - Platinum

Homogenic - Gold

It would be awesome if anyone knew any peaks on the Modern Rock chart, if she's charted there!

Guest Bad Robot

I'm largely doing this because I think "Earth Intruders" will make the Hot 100.

I also checked the Mediabase stats for some of her bigger singles. Earth Intruders already has just under 0.5m audience impressions with just a day of airplay -- pretty good! She may end up with around 3m by week's end.

Her biggest airplay hits:

Human Behaviour - 35m (audience impressions to date)

Big Time Sensuality - 16.5m

Army of Me - 15m

It's Oh So Quiet - 3m

Hidden Place - 1.5m

Oceania - 1m

All is Full of Love - 1m

Obviously, not much of an airplay artist!

American people are so stupid to get Björk, maybe now that she worked with Timbaland she gets more attention :thumbsup:

Oceania is her best song by far, I discovered her thanks to that song :clap:

I really hope Earth Intruders do well :inlove:

Not sure if this should be in Gen. Music chat, but we'll go with it for now. ;)

Bubbling Under the Hot 100

Human Behaviour: No. 109/3 weeks

It's Oh So Quiet: No. 109/4 weeks

Hot Singles Sales

Hidden Place: No. 50/3 weeks

Hot Modern Rock Tracks

Human Behaviour: No. 2/13 weeks

Big Time Sensuality: No. 5/14 weeks

Army of Me: No. 21/9 weeks

Hot Dance/Club Play

Human Behaviour: No. 2/15 weeks

Violently Happy: No. 4/12 weeks

Big Time Sensuality: No. 1/12 weeks

Hyper-Ballad: No. 1/12 weeks

I Miss You: No. 1/12 weeks

Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales

Big Time Sensuality: No. 19/10 weeks

Hyper-Ballad: No. 11/6 weeks

All is Full of Love: No. 8/24 weeks (final week- 9/30/00 chart; it had re-entered that week)

Guest Vienna

Modern Rock Tracks

1993 Human Behaviour Peak#2

1994 Big Time Sensuality Peak #5

1995 Army Of Me Modern Peak #21

but not big fan of her music...

Guest Vienna

Not sure if this should be in Gen. Music chat, but we'll go with it for now. ;)

Bubbling Under the Hot 100

Human Behaviour: No. 109/3 weeks

It's Oh So Quiet: No. 109/4 weeks

Hot Singles Sales

Hidden Place: No. 50/3 weeks

Hot Modern Rock Tracks

Human Behaviour: No. 2/13 weeks

Big Time Sensuality: No. 5/14 weeks

Army of Me: No. 21/9 weeks

Hot Dance/Club Play

Human Behaviour: No. 2/15 weeks

Violently Happy: No. 4/12 weeks

Big Time Sensuality: No. 1/12 weeks

Hyper-Ballad: No. 1/12 weeks

I Miss You: No. 1/12 weeks

Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales

Big Time Sensuality: No. 19/10 weeks

Hyper-Ballad: No. 11/6 weeks

All is Full of Love: No. 8/24 weeks (final week- 9/30/00 chart; it had re-entered that week)

Oh Shoot, Holidayguy was quicker :) with more info as well :lmao:

Guest nothingfails0603

I think with iTunes, she could have her first hot 100 hit in 13 years with Earth Intruders. I don't think it'll chart really high, but I think she has enough loyal fans who'll download it and send it to the charts, which is still really good. I also think we'll see Tori's first hot 100 hit in ages when her new single comes out to iTunes (or is it out?)

I have some facts from her sales in France:

Homogenic 556.500

Selmasongs 242.000

Vespertine 222.000

Medulla 158.000

Amazing sales!!!! France is a very difficult market :p

Guest Bad Robot

I have some facts from her sales in France:

Homogenic 556.500

Selmasongs 242.000

Vespertine 222.000

Medulla 158.000

Amazing sales!!!! France is a very difficult market :p

Those sales are probably about the same as her US sales for each of those albums, remarkable since the US is a much bigger market.

Guest Bad Robot

I'm in Billboard Chart Beat this week:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart_beat/chat.jsp

BJORK'S MASS. APPEAL

Hi Fred,

I was thrilled to see Icelandic singer Bjork return to the Hot 100 this week after a 14-year absence and I was hoping you'd give her some ink in your Chart Beat or Chart Beat Chat columns. Bjork has 20 top 40 hits in the United Kingdom and three No. 1 songs on the U.S. dance chart, but by debuting at No. 84 this week with the Timbaland collaboration "Earth Intruders," she automatically has her biggest American pop hit.

Her only other Hot 100 entry – 1993's "Big Time Sensuality" -- peaked at No. 88. I think it's pretty amazing that she has just earned her highest U.S. hit in 2007, considering that her recording career began in 1976 when she was 11 years old.

Eric Hiller

Boston, Mass.

Hi Fred,

I've been reading your column for years and years and usually you find all the best chart stories for Chart Beat. But this week you skipped over the most interesting story! That would be Bjork's triumphant return to the Hot 100, officially allowing this long-respected artist to be more than just a one-hit-wonder, despite having a very successful 20-year career.

"Earth Intruders" enters the chart at No. 84 thanks to digital sales. It's her first Hot 100 entry since "Big Time Sensuality" peaked at No. 88 in 1993. "Human Behaviour" (1993) and "It's Oh So Quiet" (1995) both peaked at No. 9 on the Bubbling Under chart. Otherwise, Bjork's success has been confined to the disparate worlds of Club Play and Modern Rock.

This makes "Earth Intruders" the biggest hit of her career. It will be interesting to see if her new album "Volta" will continue her trend of debuting and peaking higher with each successive studio album, and could possibly become her first top 10 (perhaps even her first No. 1?) album upon its release. Given the weaker album sales climate this year, I think this is more than likely!

Thanks Fred, I just want to make sure that Bjork gets her due!

Michael Histen

Somerville, Mass.

Dear Eric and Michael,

Is there a Massachusetts branch of the Bjork fan club? If not, you might want to consider meeting up and starting one.

You're both right, Bjork should have been in Chart Beat this week, for all of the reasons you cite. But thanks to both of you, she's here in Chart Beat Chat.

The fact that the debut of "Earth Invaders" ends the Icelandic star's one-hit wonder status on the Hot 100 after 14 years is the most newsworthy feature of Bjork's return to the singles chart. Like Michael says, we'll be keeping our eyes and ears open for the debut of the "Volta" album on The Billboard 200, and reporting the results in Chart Beat (promise!).

I'm in Billboard Chart Beat this week:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart_beat/chat.jsp

BJORK'S MASS. APPEAL

Hi Fred,

I was thrilled to see Icelandic singer Bjork return to the Hot 100 this week after a 14-year absence and I was hoping you'd give her some ink in your Chart Beat or Chart Beat Chat columns. Bjork has 20 top 40 hits in the United Kingdom and three No. 1 songs on the U.S. dance chart, but by debuting at No. 84 this week with the Timbaland collaboration "Earth Intruders," she automatically has her biggest American pop hit.

Her only other Hot 100 entry – 1993's "Big Time Sensuality" -- peaked at No. 88. I think it's pretty amazing that she has just earned her highest U.S. hit in 2007, considering that her recording career began in 1976 when she was 11 years old.

Eric Hiller

Boston, Mass.

Hi Fred,

I've been reading your column for years and years and usually you find all the best chart stories for Chart Beat. But this week you skipped over the most interesting story! That would be Bjork's triumphant return to the Hot 100, officially allowing this long-respected artist to be more than just a one-hit-wonder, despite having a very successful 20-year career.

"Earth Intruders" enters the chart at No. 84 thanks to digital sales. It's her first Hot 100 entry since "Big Time Sensuality" peaked at No. 88 in 1993. "Human Behaviour" (1993) and "It's Oh So Quiet" (1995) both peaked at No. 9 on the Bubbling Under chart. Otherwise, Bjork's success has been confined to the disparate worlds of Club Play and Modern Rock.

This makes "Earth Intruders" the biggest hit of her career. It will be interesting to see if her new album "Volta" will continue her trend of debuting and peaking higher with each successive studio album, and could possibly become her first top 10 (perhaps even her first No. 1?) album upon its release. Given the weaker album sales climate this year, I think this is more than likely!

Thanks Fred, I just want to make sure that Bjork gets her due!

Michael Histen

Somerville, Mass.

Dear Eric and Michael,

Is there a Massachusetts branch of the Bjork fan club? If not, you might want to consider meeting up and starting one.

You're both right, Bjork should have been in Chart Beat this week, for all of the reasons you cite. But thanks to both of you, she's here in Chart Beat Chat.

The fact that the debut of "Earth Invaders" ends the Icelandic star's one-hit wonder status on the Hot 100 after 14 years is the most newsworthy feature of Bjork's return to the singles chart. Like Michael says, we'll be keeping our eyes and ears open for the debut of the "Volta" album on The Billboard 200, and reporting the results in Chart Beat (promise!).

:wow:

Guest nothingfails0603

do you think the charts have changed? are more alternative tye sngles breaking in because of digisales?

well, I also think the fact that Timbaland is the hottest producer didn't exactly hurt

Guest Bad Robot

this will be Earth Intruders' only week on the Hot 100... unless it re-enters the week the album is released.

The fans rushed out to get it and now the song is out of the itunes top 100.