Wembley 1/8 fan reports & fan pics

Apples388

It's good to be home!

Posted: 02 August 2006

Madonna played the first of eight shows in London's Wembley Arena last night and it was HOT....both the show and the arena!

Madonna stated that it was good to be home, and she missed the countryside, her home and her horse! She was very chatty and the audience were on their feet for most of the show....even those in the tiered side blocks!

Stella McCartney had a prime spot infront of the middle catwalk and was seen dancing all night and reaching out her hand to get Madonna to touch it!

And to whoever allowed small personal cameras into the venue for once....thank you! We all love to take home our own little momento of the show!

Here are some selected highlights from the show as reported by madonnalicious visitors - to read their full reports visit the London Fan Reviews section:

From Anders:

After experiencing her live for the first time, there's no doubt in my mind that Madonna can sing and dance better than anyone despite her age and despite what people say. She totally rocks and the show was worth all £160!

From Chris:

The tracks that stood out for me were Ray Of Light, Sorry, Live To Tell and Hung Up. During Ray Of Light Madonna got the whole arena to put their hands in the air and jump up and down, it was truly amazing.

From Dave:

I don't think I have ever heard her interact with the audience as much as she did last night either, telling us she missed London even the congestion charge, then muttering 'I am going to have to do something about that! And joking with us that for the first time she asked for the aircon to be turned only to be told that the arena doesn't have it! 'Life's funny that way!'

She truly had the audience eating out of the palm of her hand and she loved it, she looked relaxed and very happy and the at the top of her game.

From Giorgio:

I went to see Madonna last night in London and I was so happy with the show. The opening number was incredible. I would say it is at the same level as Express Yourself from the Blond Ambition tour. She is so fit and beautiful. Her body is built like a rock.

From Lee:

I went to see madonna last night at Wembley, from start to finish I was amazed with her performance, the crowd was buzzing and dancing. I've been to all of her tours in the past but I have to say that the Confessions Tour is the best by far.

From Neil:

The best part was when she berated Wembley Security. For those of us who were near victims of the Wembley Camera Nazis during Reinvention, such sweet justice. The security guard in the front row was pushing people back from the catwalk. M saw him, berated him and told him to leave people alone and let them enjoy themselves!

From Neil L:

Just after Let It Will be, she had a little chat with the audience, saying how much she's missed London. 'It's good to be home! I missed my house, I missed the ountryside. I even missed the Congestion Charge! No, that was a joke. We're gonna have to do something about that.' - really funny and all the Londoners around me were screaming in agreement!

She told the stewards to stop being nasty to her fans as well! 'You in the orange shirt,' she said, 'I hope you're not being horrible to my fans - look how loved up they are - and love is a two way street, baby!'.

From PaulieV:

At one point in Let It Will Be as she walked down the catwalk she took some guys cowboy hat, wore it, danced for a bit then tossed into the other part of the crowd. I could see all the people round him saying that she’d just chucked his hat, but you could tell he was simply resigned....Madonna took it, whatareyougonnado?!

From Scott:

Madonna's first night at Wembley was amazing! The show is slick, sexy and loads of fun. Jump was my highlight, along with Isaac, which gave the show a surreal feeling. The political statements were hard hitting, and dark, but also necessary. 'We live in a world full of people who walk the walk, but who actually talks the talk?' she asked. Madonna obviously believes passionately that she is making a difference, it is up to the audience to decide if she does or not. What can you do today?

From Stephen:

I had the pleasure of attending the first night at Wembley. Having seen every tour that Madonna has done since 1987, the thing that struck me on entering the venue was the intimacy of the gig.

Guest Deacon
Is it wrong to feel a little disappointed by the show?

No it's not wrong. I can't say I've ever left any live show without likes and dislikes. What didn't float your boat?

There's a lot to be said for seeing a Madonna show *twice*. On the first night of The Drowned World tour, I was very disappointed. When I saw it again I adored it. The exact same thing happened for RIT. There are so many expectations going in, it's hard not to feel somewhat disappointed. That's why I always make sure I see the show at least twice.

Guest Deacon
There's a lot to be said for seeing a Madonna show *twice*. On the first night of The Drowned World tour, I was very disappointed. When I saw it again I adored it. The exact same thing happened for RIT. There are so many expectations going in, it's hard not to feel somewhat disappointed. That's why I always make sure I see the show at least twice.

Yeah but you've got a sugar daddy. The rest of us hang out round the job centre.

as i said in an email to Riv, it just lacked a certain something for me and I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe it's the song choices - tracks like Live To Tell (beautiful version though) was unecessary, along with Like It Or Not, Isaac and Drwoned World. They didn;t fit in with them theme.

I didn;t like the version of La Isla Bonita, and wasn;t overly keen on Music/ Disco Inferno.

The first third seemed to have so much going on you didn;t know where to look on stage, then it seemed to run out of ideas until the last third.

But there were elements of brilliance - Future Lovers/ I Feel Love was one of the best ever openers, Hung Up, Sorry, Like A Virgin, Paradise etc were faultless.

Vocally she was on top form, as far as I could see only miming to Sorry. her dancers were the best she's ever had.

I think I was disappointed because my expectations were too high. As a show goes compared to other artists, she's the ultimate showman, hands down.

Don't get me wrong, it was worth the money, i thoroughly enjoyed it, it just lacked a little 'something'.

I'm just aghast that anyone could ever describe Live To Tell as "unecessary". It's one of her most beautiful songs ever and she sounds amazing singing it this time. It's been 16 years since it was performed live. We were WELL overdue a performance. I haven't seen all of Isaac yet, but there's a stunning dance sequence at the end and I adore how it sounds. The guy singing is amazing and the horn he plays sounds so spooky.

I've seen Music/Disco Inferno in its entirety and it looks and sounds absolutely incredible, so again I have no idea why you would single that out as not doing anything for you. It contains some of her most thrilling dancing ever and the mash-up itself is genius

Based on the clips I've seen and heard, the only complete dud in the show is Erotica/You Thrill Me. Flat as a pancake.

Anyway, roll on next wednesday...

don't get me wrong - I love Live To Tell, and some of the imagery as you looked straight on with the background behind the crucifix was beautiful. It just fit in with the first part of this show, in my opinion. It stood out like an erection in a pair of speedos.

And Disco Inferno/ Music wasn;t a mash up. It was her singing Music over Disco Inferno - it sounded like a fan-made bootleg.

Ertocia/ Thrill Me was OK, some great choreography. The normal version of Erotica would have been suffice.

And Disco Inferno/ Music wasn;t a mash up. It was her singing Music over Disco Inferno - it sounded like a fan-made bootleg.

I really, really can't agree with that. I haven't seen the show, but I've listened to that clip countless times and I think it's wonderful. Yes it IS a mash-up and it's a bloody good one. Not at all amateurish sounding.

I'm just aghast that anyone could ever describe Live To Tell as "unecessary".

I agree UNANIMOUSLY.

That said, LIB being churned out (YET AGAIN :snore:) is the song that I'm least looking forward to.

I'm pleased I'm seeing her in a stadium this time; she's never quite lived up to the experience in areans, for me.

Guest hyperballad_brad

Music Inferno was a serious crowd energy blaster!! The beat was so hypnotic and got everyone moving and grooving. Even this big fat guy next to me who basically didnt move before that point. The screens and the roller skates, and that Travolta routine!!! WOW.... it was my highlight

Jump, Future Lovers, Hung Up and Sorry and Lucky Star were the best for me.

From what I've seen and heard, Lucky Star looks and sounds ghastly.

As for Sorry, I have ZERO interest in seeing that fuck-awful video being recreated on stage.

Ok, with respect, watch the show first in person rather than on your computer and then offer an opinion as everything you have to say is based on downloading clips and not being there.

Then you're entitled to an opinion that can be taken seriously.

Guest hyperballad_brad

I agree with you Riv that Lucky Star isnt all that!! I couldnt really hear it... It would have been nice for it to have been the original production but I think it was spruced up, but it ended up sounding a bit generic.

But Sorry.... I ADORED!! I hate the video too.... but to see her doing the yoga poses and swooshing round like that was great! I thought it was all fancy editing for the video but she can actually do it! I was mightily impressed! It was a real crowd pleaser too!

Give it a chance ;)

Ok, with respect, watch the show first in person rather than on your computer and then offer an opinion as everything you have to say is based on downloading clips and not being there.

Then you're entitled to an opinion that can be taken seriously.

With all due respect, UP YOURS.

I can already tell from clips that I'm going to adore Live To Tell and Music Inferno. I don't need to be there to know that.

as always, it's great to know you have such an open mind.

Even if you came away not liking it, there's no way you'd admit it here and risk losing face....

What a lot of old ROT. The amount of complete about-faces I've made in here is legendary. I'm an opinionated git, but I am *always* willing to say when I've changed my mind.

I really liked the show on tuesday. The opening section was brilliant - Future Lovers/I feel Love - what can I say?

Bad bits: -

Isaac and LIWB and LION I could have done without - I don't think they worked well.

DW/SFL - I hated, really bored me, sounded very naff and home-made.

La Isla - one of my favourite songs but its 'carribean' style didn't work for me.

Everything else was great.

Music/inferno was amazing. I've never seen better use of the screens - black and red images moving in time to the beat. Fabulous.

Highlight for me though was Lucky Star and Hung Up - worth the price of my ticket alone. The way the two merge suprised me. I never thought she'd do Lucky Star again and I loved it.

I was right at the back of the crowd in N15 and my view was fine. Everyone was dancing - especially when she told the audience to do so - "I wanna see you f***ers dance". I've never seen the entire crowd boogie so much at a gig of hers - it was just like a club. I was very sticky by the end of it.

Looking forward to 10th aug when I see the show again - I'm sure the bits i liked less on tuesday wil seem better second time around.

Isaac and LIWB and LION I could have done without - I don't think they worked well.

DW/SFL - I hated, really bored me, sounded very naff and home-made.

La Isla - one of my favourite songs but its 'carribean' style didn't work for me.

Highlight for me though was Lucky Star and Hung Up - worth the price of my ticket alone. The way the two merge suprised me. I never thought she'd do Lucky Star again and I loved it.

I totally agree!

What a lot of old ROT. The amount of complete about-faces I've made in here is legendary. I'm an opinionated git, but I am *always* willing to say when I've changed my mind.

What?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :manson::manson::manson::manson:

Oh man, that's priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao::lol::lmao::lol:

My point is that without seeing the show, you canniot criticise my opinion on something I have seen.

The very fact that it's an opinion means it's what I think, so at least have the decency to respect that even if you don't agree with it AFTER you've seen the show, rather than watching fan made clips on a Commodore 64.

Your apology is accepted.

Before I saw the show, I wasn't a big fan of "Sorry."

But after seeing the show, I absolutely love the song now. For some reason, at both of the shows I went to, the crowd responded most to "Sorry." People were screaming like crazy during that song. It was a real energy booster. I had no idea people liked that song so much. Seeing everyone's reaction to it and how everyone was dancing like crazy during that song made me like it even more now.