MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Care to back that up with some data man? Sounds like you're a bit less accurate than the last one. Many, many, I'll repeat that again...many albums are over certified. Many are undercertified too so either way your statement is based wrong, no matter which way you spin it.

They're called record club sales.

My point was that very few albums have fishy certs. I wasn't refering to under-certified albums.

:zombie:

They're called record club sales.

My point was that very few albums have fishy certs. I wasn't refering to under-certified albums.

:zombie:

I think there are alot of fishy certs out there. Alot of Mariah's catalog is fishy, not all but alot. Jessica Simpson's most recent album too. I loved when the backstreet boys Black and Blue was certified at 8,000,000 right off the bat and stopped selling at a little over 4,000,000 leaving the rest to rot on record store shelves and in boxes. Point is across the board companies over cert in hopes of bringing some sort of status to a project. I think the RIAA is important but means less today than it did year's ago with SoundScan used today. When hearing reports in the media today you often hear the SS number and not what its been cert. as.

Those fishy certs are YEARS old.

Certifications TODAY are very close to SS sales and of course there are a few exceptions (Taylor Hicks/Janet).

I'm well awear of the fact that they are years old but that doesn't discount the issue of over certifications from years past or today. Thanks for the all caps man, I'm not sure I would have been able to figure out what your point was. The practice was used years ago and it's used today. I think the reason why certifications are more accurate today is because most albums don't sell more than 1 or 2 million so there isn't much room for over certifications and record companies are losing tons of money. Hence they don't ship 8 million records off the bat as records don't sell like that anymore. Janet, Hicks, Jessica are some examples of over cert., and I'm sure there are more out there as well.

Realistically, there is no such thing as over certs, because if a label ships a certain amount of copies, that's what the it shipped- hence the cert. End of. It's always been about units shipped to retailers, other outlets, etc.- not how many units consumers buy. So, yes, Janet Jackson's latest album has shipped at least 1 million copies- it's sold 635,000+, and, yeah, you're going to see copies in stores around the country.

Now, obviously, there is such a thing as albums suffering from undercertifying- and SoundScan info supports that.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

I think there are alot of fishy certs out there. Alot of Mariah's catalog is fishy, not all but alot. Jessica Simpson's most recent album too. I loved when the backstreet boys Black and Blue was certified at 8,000,000 right off the bat and stopped selling at a little over 4,000,000 leaving the rest to rot on record store shelves and in boxes. Point is across the board companies over cert in hopes of bringing some sort of status to a project. I think the RIAA is important but means less today than it did year's ago with SoundScan used today. When hearing reports in the media today you often hear the SS number and not what its been cert. as.

Black and Blue has scanned over 5.4 million...

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Realistically, there is no such thing as over certs, because if a label ships a certain amount of copies, that's what the it shipped- hence the cert. End of. It's always been about units shipped to retailers, other outlets, etc.- not how many units consumers buy. So, yes, Janet Jackson's latest album has shipped at least 1 million copies- it's sold 635,000+, and, yeah, you're going to see copies in stores around the country.

Now, obviously, there is such a thing as albums suffering from undercertifying- and SoundScan info supports that.

Virgin's initial shipment of 20 Y.O. was 1.2 million :1251:

so just because 'thats the way its always been' mean it HAS to stay that way? That means about as much as someones mother saying "because i said so"

Centuries from now, life will have changed in so many more ways, we have millions of ways to buy music, to watch movies etc, but certs will still be figured out the same way. I'm not saying you have to change technology or anything but soundscan is already doing the work. If something scans 1.6 million, certify that as 1.6, i dont know why that would be hard to do.

this system is more old fashioned than Wimbledon refusing to pay women equal prize money, and they finally moved into the times. High time RIAA does the same.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

so just because 'thats the way its always been' mean it HAS to stay that way? That means about as much as someones mother saying "because i said so"

Centuries from now, life will have changed in so many more ways, we have millions of ways to buy music, to watch movies etc, but certs will still be figured out the same way. I'm not saying you have to change technology or anything but soundscan is already doing the work. If something scans 1.6 million, certify that as 1.6, i dont know why that would be hard to do.

this system is more old fashioned than Wimbledon refusing to pay women equal prize money, and they finally moved into the times. High time RIAA does the same.

WHY? :|

Record labels make money when they sell the CD's to retailers to then sell to the public.

BSB's album was expected to sell more than it did, hence the initial 8m million shipment. Kinda like how WB shipped 2 million of Erotica- it was expected to sell better than it did.

That last line, to bring things back to MADONNA. :)

Virgin MegaStore at Union Square had a lot of GHV2 on the shelves. It's priced at $18.99. (And we wonder why it doesn't sell...)

TCT is now $20.99 at Virgin. LAV was $10.

Amy Wal-Mart shoppers here? Could you go and check your local Wal-Mart and see what M albums they have on the shelves?

Last time I was at Wal-Mart, it didn't have a great selection (COADF probably was the most stocked, with 1 copy each of a couple others- maybe TIC had 2-3)- though you have to keep in mind that it has a lot less of a selection than record shops. And, as the numbers show, M sells most of her albums at chains.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nothingfails0603

how well do Borders sales benefit cd's? I noticed plenty of Something To Remember, Madonna and True Blue's today in their "2 for $22" bins

Guest tir69

The last update for Coadf in usa was dated 11 march , nothing news about how much sold in the last month ?

Thanks in advance

Back in business!

(if I get TCT info, I'll post it)

W/E 4/8/07 Chart

Notes: The 17 albums/EPs scanned 4,017 units, up 1.42% from the prior week.

1. The Immaculate Collection: 2,020 (+4%)

2. Like a Virgin: 587 (-14%)

3. GHV2: 291 (+9%)

4. Ray of Light: 182 (-4%)

5. Madonna: 136 (-10%)

6. The Immaculate Collection (Video): 132 (-4%)

7. Something to Remember: 120 (-10%)

8. Erotica: 100 (+23%)

9. True Blue: 93 (-3%)

10. Ciao Italia: 92 (+74%)

11. American Life: 87 (+38%)

12. Music: 76 (+15%)

13. Girlie Show: 71 (+13%)

14. Like a Prayer: 69 (+3%)

15. Drowned World Tour: 65 (+30%)

16. You Can Dance: 63 (+62%)

17. The Video Collection: 93:99: 57 (+16%)

18. Evita: 49 (+44%)

19. Bedtime Stories: 47 (-29%)

20. Remixed & Revisited: 42 (+40%)

21. Vogue: 37 (+208%)

22. I'm Breathless: 28 (-)

23. Who's That Girl: 27 (+35%)

24. What it Feels Like For a Girl (single): 21 (+62%)

25. Hollywood: 21 (+62%)

COADF-ERA Sales Info

COADF has been going very steadily- it hasn't dropped below 1,200/wk, as far as I remember.

Confessions on a Dance Floor: 1,384 (+10%)- 1,623,356 cume

I'm Going to Tell You a Secret: 196 (+16%)

Jump: 156 (+18%)

Sorry: 82 (-4%)

Hung Up: 67 (-12%)

Get Together: 57 (-8%)

COADF Sales Breakdown

CD: 1.514 million

Digital: 108,848

I'd think shipments for the CD would be around 1.9m or so. So, maybe with the next album era, COADF will go double platinum...

:wow: if the cd shipments are around 1.9m, it is really overshipped (or is it normal?)

Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over again?

Last I heard shipments were at 1.8 million. I'm not going down the road of overcertification again, but I don't think it was over shipped.