MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

they should change album cretifications: they did it back in the day when singles sales were very low, during the eighties 1.000.000 copies sold from a single was only a gold single, and then it became platinum. Maybe they should do the same with LPs: 500.000 platinum.What do you think? becuase it´s going to be more and more difficult to have a platinum-multiplatinum album, and RIAA won´t have a lot of job!

I AGREE..THAT MAKES SENSE

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

According to HolidayGuy, Erotica had sold 1.38 million once it fell off the BB200. It's total to date is something like 1.89 million. So it has sold over 500,000 copies after it fell off the BB200 through now. Despite Erotica's catalog sales now that 500K is pretty healthy for an album that performed like Erotica. Probably due to Rain's success on recurrent airplay. It's 2 million certification in 1992 may have seemed overreaching, but today it's right in line with its soundscan total.

Erotica's first shipment was probably 2 million or more so they were able to certify 2X right away. With sales down and less stores to stock (or overstock) shipments and certs are going to come closer together now.

Erotica's first shipment was 2.5 millions - so it was certified double platinum immediately.

I read somewhere that Confessions shipped 1.8 millions total. Given than it has sold 1.67M so far and it selling really really slow there is not way that WBR will ship more anytime soon. That double platinum certification for Confessions may never come.

wow... my beloved MADONNA album of the noughties is still selling big... :inlove:

surely when the soundscan figure reaches around 1.75M there could be additional shipments...

Soundscan doesn't cover 100% of the record stores... or do they do estimates for their non-covered stores?

121,000+ of COADF's total is digital- so that means it would need to have shipped roughly 1.878m physical units for a double plaitnum certification (as digital sales can be applied to a cert).

Which also means... that around 326,000 and change would need to be sitting around unsold/unscanned (whereaver that would be).

Year-to-Date Through 6/8/08- first 23 weeks of 2008

(number in parentheses is what the title had scanned through the first *24* weeks of 2007- so, one less week for 2008 sales in this comparison)

I didn't list TCT's 2007 total, as it wasa 2007 release, and, obviously, the bulk of its to-date tally came during that year.

As you can see, many sales are in line (or even a little higher) than they were a year ago.

1. The Immaculate Collection: 59,930 (46,585)

2. Confessions on a Dance Floor: 18,310 (34,890)

3. The Confessions Tour: 8,240

4. GHV2: 7,305 (6,075 physical + ? digital- the digital sales- for some reason- are listed separate from the physical, and I don't have the digital for a year ago- wasn't all that high, though, as this title hasn't sold a lot, digitally)

5. Ray of Light: 5,250 (5,100)

6. Like a Virgin: 4,845 (10,500)

7. Madonna: 4,235 (3,865)

8. The Immaculate Collection (Video): 3,235 (3,425)

9. True Blue: 2,700 (2,735)

10. Something to Remember: 2,460 (3,390)

11. Like a Prayer: 2,085 (1,920)

12. Girlie Show: 2,050 (1,720)

13. Music: 2,045 (2,310)

14. Erotica: 2,000 (2,020)

15. Ciao Italia: 1,605 (1,910)

16. American Life: 1,400 (1,555)

17. Bedtime Stories: 1,395 (1,315)

18. I'm Going to Tell You a Secret: 1,385 (5,190)

19. The Video Collection: 1,345 (1,415)

20. Jump: 1,165

21. Remixed & Revisited EP: 1,080 (1,010)

22. Drowned World Tour: 900 (1,590)

23. You Can Dance: 860 (1,040)

24. I'm Breathless: 785 (850)

Yes, but they weren't as CULTURALLY ENRICHING or ICONIC, or as era-defining as TIC tracks. :)

I agree that a collection like GHV2 should be selling more, but it still wouldn't be nearly as successful as TIC.

Guest Danny86

Thanx HG!

Big drop for Like A Virgin but some of the albums are holding up. Though not sure if that matters when we're talking about sales of 1,000-2,000 albums. :p

Hope TIC is gonna sell a bit more with the tour coming up. Its days are numbered though, with the new compilation coming and all... :(

TIC is on track to sell more this year than last, so that is good news. I wouldn't be so quick to count it out, though- we have to see what the tracklist is going to be for the upcoming compilation. There have been instances of double CD compilations being released, and the single one still selling OK numbers (i.e. Elton John, Aerosmith, etc.) Depending on the price, some may still opt for TIC over a pricier multi-disc set.

Guest nothingfails0603

nice to see that Confessions is still doing well in comparison considering it's more than 2 1/2 years old now and the Best Buy sale is over. American Life was already down to about 100 copies 2 1/2 years on

Guest nothingfails0603

noticing the 47 copies compared to over 100 for Ciao Italia and Girlie Show leads me to think that it's time DWT goes down in price. $25 made sense in 2001, but in 2008 it's a little too much and I think the price keeps some potential consumers away who would buy it for $5-7 less

^That could be part of the reason (since it's more expensive than Ciao or GS)- but, the casual fan also may look at the setlist and not recognize most of those songs and put it back down.

BTW- the to-dates for the active-selling video-only titles:

Ciao Italia: 83,540- possibly eligible for 2 platinu, signifying 200,000 shipments?)

The Immaculate Collection: 286,515 (this likely has shipped at least 400,000)

Girlie Show: 134,575 (needs platinum cert)

The Video Collection 93:99: 158,620 (still awaiting certification at all, I think, unless it's gold)

Drowned World Tour: 142,245

Guest nothingfails0603

that is true, but I feel the same way with Girlie, since that tour was loaded to the brim with obscure Erotica tracks that only hardcore fans would know and only a few of the 80's classics, but it is a bit cheaper so I think a casual fan is more willing to take the risk. At least with Confessions Tour, you're getting a CD with it

Guest Danny86
TIC is on track to sell more this year than last, so that is good news. I wouldn't be so quick to count it out, though- we have to see what the tracklist is going to be for the upcoming compilation. There have been instances of double CD compilations being released, and the single one still selling OK numbers (i.e. Elton John, Aerosmith, etc.) Depending on the price, some may still opt for TIC over a pricier multi-disc set.

Didn't TIC just barely pass 100k last year? I don't think we're getting any new Madonna stuff in 2009, and with the new compilation coming in, it's meant to sell below than 100k next year. And yes, maybe the new compilation won't replace TIC, but it's probably gonna eat away some sales, like how MJ's compilations did that with earlier ones.

For MJ"s late 70s/80s/early 90s heyday, HIStory housed the hits, but since that was packaged with a new studio album and was pricey, it didn't go onto have a great catalog life. Then the individual hits album was issued, and then Number Ones, The Essential, etc. Number Ones is his biggest compilation right now, and it's a single disc.

Depending on what kind of compilation Madge's upcoming one is will determine how TIC is affected. Def Leppard's Vault certainly hasn't been affected that negatively by the release of a 2-disc career spanner, for instance. Same with U2 (though the band's first hits compilation wasn't nearly as big as TIC)- the single-disc career spanner, I don't think,

Guest nothingfails0603

^ Journey's another biggie. Their 1988 Greatest Hits is still one of the biggest catalog titles of all time and even though they released a 2-disc collection in 2001, most consumers looking to buy a Journey album still walk out with the 1988 version

Guest nothingfails0603
do we KNOW that the new disc is gonna be a two-CD set? because, if so, it will likely doom its sales numbers. i mean, unless you're a hardcore fan, there's simply no need to buy 2-disc sets anymore. you just go to itunes or amazon instead, and buy the handful of tracks you actually like.

actually, Garth Brooks' 2 disc Greatest Hits sold very well last Christmas. I think if you're an artist with enough hits to fill a 2 disc one (like Elton or Madonna or someone) and not be stretching for really small hits, album cuts and the sort, a 2 disc set can do well.

Guest Danny86
do we KNOW that the new disc is gonna be a two-CD set? because, if so, it will likely doom its sales numbers. i mean, unless you're a hardcore fan, there's simply no need to buy 2-disc sets anymore. you just go to itunes or amazon instead, and buy the handful of tracks you actually like.

It's going to be released as a contractual obligation, so I doubt its sales will matter much to either Madonna or Warner.

I would actually bet on that Madonna won't care much about the release and she won't put any new song on it.

GHV2 isnt very good at all. The original versions are much better. If you own the albums, why someone would want to but it? I cant believe that Warner released such a bad compilation really. They could at least have added some cool versions or unreleased songs (even if not new) So im not surprised it doesnt sell a lot.

GHV3? No no no. There haven't been enough big or decent-sized hits since 2001. It would not fare well, commercially, at all.

RE Garth Brooks- it also helped his double CD compilation that his original single-disc The Hits has been out of print for some time.

It will surely be a 2CD set. Justify my love and Rescue Me should NOT be included in it if Warner does not want to kill TIC sales. Although they can be individually dowloaded, lots of people still want to get the physical CD

Toby Keith just released a 2cd set and it has done reasonably well.

Again and again and again:

It will be a 2-cd album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT a GHV3!!!!! Why do people continue to discuss this?????

it's pathetic that GHV2 sells so poorly (only about 10% of immaculate). the songs on GHV2 are as good (and sometimes better)... and all of that could've been avoided by madonna adding one new song to the album. she's such a lazy b*tch sometimes. :sour:

ok. that's my rant about GHV2. :angel:

well, let us remember too that aside from containing 1980's most iconic songs, TIC is also the only MADONNA CD that contains JUSTIFY MY LOVE... which is another reason for us to buy TIC in its full Q-SOUND splendor... :chuckle:

• 3 weeks later...

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_wat...ection-of-jesus

Turning 50: Three all-time pop icons are turning 50 this year. Prince reached the milestone on June 7. Madonna hits the Big 5-0 on Aug. 16. Michael Jackson follows suit on Aug. 29. All three of these superstars peaked in the mid-1980s-Jackson with Thriller, Prince with Purple Rain and Madonna with Like A Virgin. So which of these stars has sold the most albums in the Nielsen/SoundScan era? That would be Madonna, who has sold 25,995,000 albums since 1991 (placing her #31 among all artists). Jackson is next, with sales of 21,072,000 (good enough for a #49 ranking). Then comes Prince, with sales of 16,430,000 (he is ranked #90).

Guest nothingfails0603

actually Prince is a little bit higher than #90. I remember on UKMix, Hanboo explained that Soundscan counts the Prince/Revolution/NPG albums as Prince, but the O+> albums from the 90's were listed seperately, and there's almost 3 million in sales from those albums alone (Gold and Rave sold 500k, Emancipation sold 700k and there were three or four others in that era) which ranks him a bit higher than #90 and 16.4 million.

• 2 weeks later...