MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over again?

Last I heard shipments were at 1.8 million. I'm not going down the road of overcertification again, but I don't think it was over shipped.

sorry there has been a problem with the computer :angel: I already deleted three posts!

and thanks for the info :thumbsup:

and thanks to you, of course( HG! :inlove:)

Guest nothingfails0603

I notice sales are lower than normal, I wonder how many people have heard about the future CD/DVD-A combos and are holding off getting these cd's if they know a superior version may be around the corner soon. For the most part, I think most Madonna cd purchases are from people who either 1. are finally upgrading their old LP or cassette (a reason why Music and AL do so poorly, tapes were already dead at the time) or 2. big fans repurchasing a cd that has worn out or scratched or something along those lines. I doubt there are many people who just decided after 13 years, "you know, I think I'm finally going to get that Bedtime Stories album by Madonna today", it's likely either people finally upgrading from their cassette or replacing an old copy. That's why I cannot wait to see how the CD-DVD/A combos are going to benefit sales, since I think most fans will run out and buy them. We may see some of the albums go over 1000 for once

And have such releases been confirmed? And what DVD content will they have?

Sales in general have slipped, too, keep in mind- TIC has scanned just over 28,000 to date this year- it's on track to do less biz than last year (unless a new album sparks things a bit).

you'd think music would sell better - but i think you put a good reason forward.

it could be that people are upgrading their stuff - but i wonder how many people buy them because its cheap and buy them because of that? i wonder how many sales are because of radio or video promotion.

I notice sales are lower than normal, I wonder how many people have heard about the future CD/DVD-A combos and are holding off getting these cd's if they know a superior version may be around the corner soon. For the most part, I think most Madonna cd purchases are from people who either 1. are finally upgrading their old LP or cassette (a reason why Music and AL do so poorly, tapes were already dead at the time) or 2. big fans repurchasing a cd that has worn out or scratched or something along those lines. I doubt there are many people who just decided after 13 years, "you know, I think I'm finally going to get that Bedtime Stories album by Madonna today", it's likely either people finally upgrading from their cassette or replacing an old copy. That's why I cannot wait to see how the CD-DVD/A combos are going to benefit sales, since I think most fans will run out and buy them. We may see some of the albums go over 1000 for once

I doubt that The CD/DVD-A thing is a factor for fans buying less Madonna CDs. That unofficial fansite info hasn't been officially announced in a press release and reported anywhere in the media and it hardly got much chatter/excitement in Madonna forums. CD sales across the board from everybody are massively down (20%!) from the prior year.

you'd think music would sell better - but i think you put a good reason forward.

it could be that people are upgrading their stuff - but i wonder how many people buy them because its cheap and buy them because of that? i wonder how many sales are because of radio or video promotion.

Yes, sales are just down overall.

PLUS, Madonna's back catalog decreases in sales each year. Just like every other artist.

Plus don't forget to include the NEW fans that are still discovering Madonna (specially the young ones that are just getting into music) - not as many as in the 80s and 90s but still considerable number. After getting hooked on Hung Up and COADF they want to explore Madonna's catalog.

Guest Bad Robot

Does anyone know COADF's latest Soundscan tally?

I just noticed we don't have a pinned album stats thread. That'd be nice to have with sales, peaks, certs, etc.!

Guest nothingfails0603

Plus don't forget to include the NEW fans that are still discovering Madonna (specially the young ones that are just getting into music) - not as many as in the 80s and 90s but still considerable number. After getting hooked on Hung Up and COADF they want to explore Madonna's catalog.

most newer casual fans will go for TIC and think that's it. I remembered that attitude from a lot of friends of mine who were getting into her when ROL came out, "I don't need the early albums, there's The Immaculate Collection", and now there's GHV2 for the 90's and Music era.

Madge is seen by the common consumer as someone where a hits collection (and in her case, there's three, STR had a lot of hits as well) is better than the studio albums and all one truly needs (much like ABBA Gold or something as a major example). Unfortunately she doesn't have a Back In Black or Dark Side Of The Moon or Nevermind or Thriller or (insert any Beatles album here) in her studio catalog that makes people think "well, Immaculate doesn't just cut it, I need to own Like A Prayer as well" like those other artists do. Pink Floyd have several hits collections and yet Dark Side continues to outsell those year in and year out because the album is considered a classic and that it has to be heard as is. Madonna's albums are generally regarded as the opposite except for the real fans, and it sucks but it seems to be the way it is.

Ray of Light's sales aren't all that far behind GHV2- but then again, GHV2's catalog sales aren't anything to write home about...

An album like Like a Prayer indeed is a classic, but not in the realm of Dark Side of the Moon, I s'pose. However, the only female record that continues to sell very well even though there are compilations available is Carole King's Tapestry. However, none of her compilations have been big sellers.

However, the only female record that continues to sell very well even though there are compilations available is Carole King's Tapestry. However, none of her compilations have been big sellers.

Do you know how well Jagged Little Pill's catalog sales have held up? I always considered that a seminal female album in the rock era.

Guest nothingfails0603

Do you know how well Jagged Little Pill's catalog sales have held up? I always considered that a seminal female album in the rock era.

from what I read on UKMix, JLP has dipped quite a bit since Alanis' Greatest Hits album came out, even tho her GH didn't do so hot when compared to Sheryl Crow's and No Doubt's, two other female-driven artists (I know ND was a band, but Gwen made them big) who hit it big around the same time Jagged did.

Guest Bad Robot

BR, I put the total to date in this week's sales post (in this thread).

Oop, my bad -- I didn't even look at the timestamps -- I just saw this thread was low on the list and assumed it hadn't been updated in awhile.

I'll use mine eyes next time, thank you!

Alanis hasn't appeared in the catalog 200 recently, I don't think.

Another female album whose studio album sales were affected by a compilation- Shania Twain. Not that Come On Over needs to add any more sales to its total...

Guest nothingfails0603

Alanis hasn't appeared in the catalog 200 recently, I don't think.

Another female album whose studio album sales were affected by a compilation- Shania Twain. Not that Come On Over needs to add any more sales to its total...

yes, that one really shocked me. I thought COO would be as unaffected by a Greatest Hits collection as Thriller was, yet it fell from like 300k a year to under 60k.

Another album that seems to have not been affected much since there's yet to be a real GH album to cover the hits off it (save one track on Design) is Janet's "janet.". That album continues to sell very well, especially for a 14 year old album, compare it to Madonna and Mariah's studio output from the same era and there's no competition. janet. seems to outsell Design some years even. I wonder if Virgin's held off on a Virgin Years GH album considering how well janet. still sells, whereas Design effectively killed Control and Rhythm Nation.

most newer casual fans will go for TIC and think that's it. I remembered that attitude from a lot of friends of mine who were getting into her when ROL came out, "I don't need the early albums, there's The Immaculate Collection", and now there's GHV2 for the 90's and Music era.

Madge is seen by the common consumer as someone where a hits collection (and in her case, there's three, STR had a lot of hits as well) is better than the studio albums and all one truly needs (much like ABBA Gold or something as a major example). Unfortunately she doesn't have a Back In Black or Dark Side Of The Moon or Nevermind or Thriller or (insert any Beatles album here) in her studio catalog that makes people think "well, Immaculate doesn't just cut it, I need to own Like A Prayer as well" like those other artists do. Pink Floyd have several hits collections and yet Dark Side continues to outsell those year in and year out because the album is considered a classic and that it has to be heard as is. Madonna's albums are generally regarded as the opposite except for the real fans, and it sucks but it seems to be the way it is.

I don't think this is true. How can Madonna be so successful, when only her real fans buy her records?

There must be other reasons.

Guest nothingfails0603

I don't think this is true. How can Madonna be so successful, when only her real fans buy her records?

There must be other reasons.

well, TIC, GHV2 and STR sell well, and LAV and ROL (and sometimes Madonna too) do okay as well. But for albums as successful as Madonna's catalog has been 100-200 copies a week is nothing to shake a stick at. Most casual fans will bypass the studio albums and just go for the hits collections. There are albums from the 80's like Thriller, Purple Rain, Back In Black and the sort that even to this date sell enough to make the top 200 pop catalog sellers. Madonna doesn't have anything like that EXCEPT Immaculate. MJ and Prince both have numerous hits collections but yet Thriller and Purple Rain are both still regarded as essential albums that any pop fan needs in their collection, and they continue to sell a few thousand copies a week, despite that there are more than enough hits collections for both of them. OTOH, Madonna's 80's smashes sell a few hundred a week, compared to the 2000-3000 a week that Wacko and Prince's albums still sell. While the fans hold Like A Prayer in extremely high regard, Immaculate "supplanted" it in the eyes of a lot of the casual Madonna fans who just want the hit singles and don't care that the mixes on TIC aren't the ones they heard on the radio and MTV... and younger newbie Madonna fans don't even know the difference.

Thanks HG. :gross:

I really can't believe Just Whitney sold more than American Life.

It is really easy to believe though. Just Whitney was released the second week of December. Perfect timing to squeeze in a platinum album and then drop like a rock. You don't think Just Whitney boased her highest first week sales because of a particularly strong single or something...? :thumbsup:

It is really easy to believe though. Just Whitney was released the second week of December. Perfect timing to squeeze in a platinum album and then drop like a rock. You don't think Just Whitney boased her highest first week sales because of a particularly strong single or something...? :thumbsup:

but this album has beautiful songs on it!!!! :rant: One of those days was great! :rant: