MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

Guest boytoyville

I actually saw Like a Virgin at Target today to. It was in the space labeled for The Immaculate Collection and didn't have one for itself. Target must be thinking about carrying more Madge releases. Perhaps they are testing the waters with Like A Virgin

OK- the prior week (W/E 3/4), the 17 albums/EPs scanned 4,146 units, up 4.25% from the prior week. Like a Virgin jumped 57% to 498 units, no doubt thanks in part to the Definitive promotion.

W/E 3/11/07

Notes: The 17 albums/EPs scanned 4,504 units, up 8.64% from the prior week.

1. The Immaculate Collection: 2,138 (-)

2. Like a Virgin: 898 (+80%)

3. Ray of Light: 262 (+5%)

4. GHV2: 228 (-10%)

5. The Immaculate Collection (Video): 166 (+7%)

6. Madonna: 157 (+7%)

7. Something to Remember: 133 (-23%)

8. Music: 100 (-22%)

9. Like a Prayer: 94 (+32%)

10. True Blue: 88 (-23%)

11. Ciao Italia: 87 (-13%)

12. Erotica: 81 (-16%)

13. Girlie Show: 78 (+26%)

14. American Life: 74 (+42%)

15. Drowned World Tour: 73 (-3%)

16. Bedtime Stories: 62 (-7%)

17. The Video Collection: 93:99: 60 (-17%)

18. Remixed & Revisited: 54 (+20%)

19. I'm Breathless: 46 (+142%)

20. Evita: 36 (+29%)

21. You Can Dance: 31 (-24%)

COADF Sales Info

Confessions on a Dance Floor: 1,488 (+2%)- 1.618 million cume

I’m Going to Tell You a Secret: 226 (+9%)- 76,590 cume

Jump: 173 (-14%)- 16,360 cume

Hung Up: 84 (+8%)- 47,100 cume

Get Together: 80 (+19%)- 19,815 cume

Sorry: 61 (-24%)- 29,025 cume

Guest nothingfails0603

wow!!! LAV is one of my least favorite Madonna projects, but it's sweet to see it selling so well, considering Madonna's older studio albums never seem to sell more than 400 or so a week. Too bad a more deserving album like LAP or ROL didn't make that list instead

I have actually rediscovered my LAV album. It's so enjoyable in its simplicity. Angel, Over And Over, Dress You Up, and Stay are strong pop numbers. Stay is probably one of her most underlooked songs. Her voice is also incredibly sexy on this album. When she tries her deeper register it's almost satanic sounding. Loves it.

nf, that list wasn't about the strongest works in many cases. Commercial success played a big part in it (they weren't ranked by sales or anything, as you can see, but still played a factor in the selections).

LAV, along with the first album, def. set a tomne, though, for female pop acts.

it's amazing how COADF is still selling at 1k+ after a year and a half... and then a new album is already underway... don't anyone dare to mention underwood...

They wouldn't mention Underwood- she continues to get decent airplay in the USA, whereas Madge only had one moderate airplay hit in the USA from her album- so, can't compare the two, commercially.

Guest boytoyville

They wouldn't mention Underwood- she continues to get decent airplay in the USA, whereas Madge only had one moderate airplay hit in the USA from her album- so, can't compare the two, commercially.

Not to mention it is her debut. Her sales are most likely to decline as the years go by. I don't think they will stay strong for a really long time. I doubt she is going to be the next Shania.

Not to mention it is her debut. Her sales are most likely to decline as the years go by. I don't think they will stay strong for a really long time. I doubt she is going to be the next Shania.

even shania had a slow down after the first album

Shania's debut album has scanned less than 1 million (it didn't even crack the Billboard 200!)

Maybe this week, I'll post some info for a couple other "divas." Mimi's GH has been scanning 1,500-1,600 a week, while Whitney's GH has been doing 600-700 on average. Janet's Design, a smiliar number. Any who had an album (or albums) as part of that Definitive promotion didn't see as big a jump as LAV.

Shania's debut album has scanned less than 1 million (it didn't even crack the Billboard 200!)

Maybe this week, I'll post some info for a couple other "divas." Mimi's GH has been scanning 1,500-1,600 a week, while Whitney's GH has been doing 600-700 on average. Janet's Design, a smiliar number. Any who had an album (or albums) as part of that Definitive promotion didn't see as big a jump as LAV.

Speaking of divas, two of Janet's albums (Control and janet.) were on the Definitive list. Did they see any increase, just out of curiosity?

Guest Beautiful Stranger

even shania had a slow down after the first album

Shania Twain - Platinum

The Woman In Me - 12x Platinum

Come On Over - 20x Platinum

OMG! Look at that SLOW DOWN after the first album! :shock:

Guest boytoyville

Shania Twain - Platinum

The Woman In Me - 12x Platinum

Come On Over - 20x Platinum

OMG! Look at that SLOW DOWN after the first album! :shock:

:lol: Clearly they though Come On Over was Shania's debut.

it seems even Thriller scans less than TIC

Guest Beautiful Stranger

:lol: Clearly they though Come On Over was Shania's debut.

Well, to be fair, for everyone outside of NA it sort of was her first release. :lol:

By the way, Eventhough TWIM is 12x Platinum it has only scanned 8 million. It's record club sales are NOT 4 million. :zombie:

We know SS doesn't tell the whole picture, so there's no point trying to undermine certs. :) We have no idea what kind of numbers Columbia House had (and the BMG numbers even seem a little fishy in spots, with few titles selling in a certain range, when you'd think, with all the titles in stock, it would be a LOT more).

Guest Danny86

Any who had an album (or albums) as part of that Definitive promotion didn't see as big a jump as LAV.

Wow that's great, especially because Like A Virgin was almost at the bottom of the list...

the only serious drawback with the certification process I see is the lack of account for digital album sales. that needs to change as soon as possible.

Which may be hurting COADF's chances of a 2xp certification. COADF has scanned 1.6 million but 100,000 copies were digital.

I just cant believe in this day and age, they cant base certs on what is physically sold. To quote Madonna, why's it so hard?

why in the year 2007, are they still basing it on shipments? Who gives a fly frig how much a cd ships? half the time, most of whats shipped gets sent back.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

I just cant believe in this day and age, they cant base certs on what is physically sold. To quote Madonna, why's it so hard?

why in the year 2007, are they still basing it on shipments? Who gives a fly frig how much a cd ships? half the time, most of whats shipped gets sent back.

Umm that couldn't be less accurate. :blink:

Albums are always close to, if not more than, what they are certfiied for in actual sales.

Guest northernlad

Don't you think record companies would find a way around that, ei returning all but a cent of what was paid for it so they still count it as 'sold'. :p

Anyway, getting into the kind of specifics you'd like would probably cost record companies a great deal more, and for what? A silly plastic award the artist is only going to through away or put up for charity auction. And on that note the RIAA awards program is by no means essential to the industry - meaning they have to keep everything as appealing as possible to labels so it can keep going, and if that means sometimes exaggerated sales, so be it.

You must keep in mind not all retailers return all unsold cd's to record companies, aside from storing them or shipping them to another store in the same chain where the product is selling, they sometimes just sell them to secondary vendors to avoid the paperwork, hassle & shipping fees of sending them back to the label. Which means those sales can only be tracked by their original paid shipment to stores.

And the end all, stores & promoters are cautious about how much of a product they take in during the first place b/c of the hassle of having to send unsold units back AND that those unsold units are taking up valuable shelf space. That's what keeps their award system 95% reliable.

Umm that couldn't be less accurate. :blink:

Albums are always close to, if not more than, what they are certfiied for in actual sales.

Care to back that up with some data man? Sounds like you're a bit less accurate than the last one. Many, many, I'll repeat that again...many albums are over certified. Many are undercertified too so either way your statement is based wrong, no matter which way you spin it.