MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

Since there is no cert level for digital albums, I don't know why they don't get counted toward certs (a digital copy isn't "shipped," that's the only reason I can think of- after all, it's the whole album; I can see why individual tracks aren't lumped with physical singles, since the actual content one's buying is different- not the case with albums).

You would think with all the changes the RIAA has made to accomodate the digital age, they would at least change this rule and include digital album sales in certifications. The sales are tracked by Soundscan so it's not like anyone is faking the numbers.

W/E 2/4/07

Notes: The 17 albums/EPs scanned 3,915 units, up 10.15% from the prior week. Who's That Girl dropped 1 to 11 units.

1. The Immaculate Collection: 2,003 (+9%)

2. Like a Virgin: 302 (+30%)

3. GHV2: 279 (+4%)

4. Ray of Light: 268 (+34%)

5. Madonna: 191 (+22%)

6. The Immaculate Collection (Video): 163 (-)

7. Something to Remember: 152 (-19%)

8. True Blue: 140 (+37%)

9. Drowned World Tour: 134 (+65%)

10. Music: 109 (-19%)

11. Girlie Show: 99 (+13%)

12. Like a Prayer: 96 (+37%)

13. The Video Collection: 93:99: 96 (+52%)

14. Erotica: 94 (+36%)

15. Ciao Italia: 90 (+1%)

16. Remixed & Revisited: 67 (+68%)

17. American Life: 55 (-21%)

18. You Can Dance : 40 (-27%)

19. Bedtime Stories: 40 (-5%)

20. I'm Breathless: 39 (+5%)

21. Evita: 29 (-36%)

22. Die Another Day: 24 (+167%)

23. Hollywood: 22 (+5%)

COADF Sales Info

Confessions on a Dance Floor: 1,818 (+2%)- 1.61 million cume

I’m Going to Tell You a Secret: 494 (+70%)

Jump: 412 (+43%)

Get Together: 118 (+40%)

Sorry: 97 (+13%)

Hung Up: 87 (+6%)

Well, the Confessions CD/DVD has most of those songs, anyway. :)

I think what people really don't think about, in terms of album sales (any sales, really) is that each week an album starts at 0. So, another 1,800 copies of COADF were shifted last week- most of those purchases could have been inspired by the CD/DVD release. :gent:

Guest nothingfails0603

while COADF didn't boost as well as I would've liked, it's nice to see how many people must've comboed up IGTTYAS with CT

Guest nothingfails0603

it really depends how it holds up the next few weeks. I mean, Diana Ross debuted in the top 40 a few weeks ago and her album is at 37k or so after three weeks

it really depends how it holds up the next few weeks. I mean, Diana Ross debuted in the top 40 a few weeks ago and her album is at 37k or so after three weeks

not to state the obvious, but that's less than what TCT did in its 1st week

good to see the increase - wish it was even higher but anyway - over the last 5 months coadf has held steady around 2000 except after the NBC to xmas period - do albums tend to die fater than this? i believe had the album been promoted better sales would have been higher. even over the lowest sales period coadf has not really slipped below its lowest figure since november by much -

has it been put on sale yet?

Guest nothingfails0603

good to see the increase - wish it was even higher but anyway - over the last 5 months coadf has held steady around 2000 except after the NBC to xmas period - do albums tend to die fater than this?

well, for a good comparison, Janet's album is reportedly already around 2500-3500 a week and that is much more recent than Madonna's cd

I would be surprised if it got more airplay than Hung Up. Hung Up regardless was a huge hit in the US and across the globe. It sold 800,000 digital copies in the US, hit number 1 on many different charts, went top 10 on the Hot 100 and launched the Confessions album very well. It also hit #1 on MTV's TRL, stayed on the show for 50 days and was retired at #1. That was a great time for Madonna and fans alike. Janet's Call on Me did nothing for the album and as far as I'm concerned was a flop all around even if it's airplay was greater. Airplay doesn't equal a good song regardless.

Nah, Erotica or IB would be her "worst" albums. :)

notsomuch, "Call on Me" peaked at No. 19 on Hot 100 Airplay (HU peaked at No. 42). COM had the strong urban airplay and so-so rhythmic play behind it. But, its digital sales weren't impressive. And, of course airplay doesn't indicate a great track (just like commercial success in general isn't necessarily related to quality).

notsomuch, "Call on Me" peaked at No. 19 on Hot 100 Airplay (HU peaked at No. 42). COM had the strong urban airplay and so-so rhythmic play behind it. But, its digital sales weren't impressive. And, of course airplay doesn't indicate a great track (just like commercial success in general isn't necessarily related to quality).

Yeah but nothing about the track was impressive from the video, to the song, to the cover of the maxi. How does one measure success? I don't think airplay alone is the deciding factor. Hung Up to me just seemed huge compaired to Call on Me. Even people I talked to that enjoyed urban and rhythmic music didn't like it.

Guest Caresse Henry

I hope MADONNA herself hears this and HITS YOU in your STUBBORN HEAD with one of the HUGE DISCO BALLS from the TOUR :rosey: