Australian political thread

Very interested in the opinions of our NSW members on their new premier.  Just what Australia needs 😡 - another ultra conservative right wing religious fanatic. Someone who voted against marriage equality, voted against de criminalising abortion, said that Catholic priests should NOT have to pass on admissions of sexual child abuse in confession and celebrated Trump becoming President. Anti climate change action. The list goes on. 

Why did the Coalition choose him ?  At least Gladys was not hard right wing.  The ultra right wing already has too many in power federally. Thank goodness there are still some states that have Labor premiers despite Murdoch press and Murdoch Sky news trying to destroy them continually. I don’t trust Dominic Perrottet as far as I could throw him.  

Such a boys club pick. And yes, the man is a career conservative who is a fervent catholic and doesn’t even believe in contraception. BUT THE ECONOMY!

The false narrative of our LNP being economic warriors wins again.

I wasn’t a fan of Gladys but the personality cult that surrounds her is unbelievable here in Sydney. I’m astounded by the amount of gay men who stan for her, that’s what you get with Murdoch media and her unedifying appearances on the Kyle & Jackie O radio show. It seems pseudo intellectual when they say they like her without having any concept that she was the leader of the Conservative party and under investigation for corruption, but this is the scary world we live in.

The same people don’t seem to question why a right wing woman who is unmarried and childless is considered ‘independent’ but someone like Julia Gillard had her partners sexuality questioned, was called ‘heartless’ for not having children, and indeed her own leadership abilities were called into question for the very reason she never had children.

Anyhow rant over!

10 minutes ago, cardiganstarlet said:

Such a boys club pick. And yes, the man is a career conservative who is a fervent catholic and doesn’t even believe in contraception. BUT THE ECONOMY!

The false narrative of our LNP being economic warriors wins again.

I wasn’t a fan of Gladys but the personality cult that surrounds her is unbelievable here in Sydney. I’m astounded by the amount of gay men who stan for her, that’s what you get with Murdoch media and her unedifying appearances on the Kyle & Jackie O radio show. It seems pseudo intellectual when they say they like her without having any concept that she was the leader of the Conservative party and under investigation for corruption, but this is the scary world we live in.

The same people don’t seem to question why a right wing woman who is unmarried and childless is considered ‘independent’ but someone like Julia Gillard had her partners sexuality questioned, was called ‘heartless’ for not having children, and indeed her own leadership abilities were called into question for the very reason she never had children.

Anyhow rant over!

I love you @cardiganstarlet  Agree totally with your rant ( as you call it ) 

This is off topic but why do Sydney love Vile Kyle and Jackie O ?   He is so offensive and idiotic and she just agrees and enables him.  The rest of Australia hate them but they rate so well in Sydney. It is a mystery to so many. 

Gladys has a real cult following.  I have noticed that. I loved Julia Gillard too and the Murdoch press destroyed her. 

12 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Very interested in the opinions of our NSW members on their new premier.  Just what Australia needs 😡 - another ultra conservative right wing religious fanatic. Someone who voted against marriage equality, voted against de criminalising abortion, said that Catholic priests should NOT have to pass on admissions of sexual child abuse in confession and celebrated Trump becoming President. Anti climate change action. The list goes on. 

Why did the Coalition choose him ?  At least Gladys was not hard right wing.  The ultra right wing already has too many in power federally. Thank goodness there are still some states that have Labor premiers despite Murdoch press and Murdoch Sky news trying to destroy them continually. I don’t trust Dominic Perrottet as far as I could throw him.  

I prefer having women in power to. I think they make better leaders

Aussie politics is a shitshow and the media bias is staggering. I can't watch the ABC anymore, especially Leigh Sales - it is all just LNP propaganda (except Laura Tingle). And as for Murdoch and Channel Nine (who now owns The Age) - jesus christ the bias is off the charts. I was at the supermarket a few weeks back and the woman in front of me was buying the Herald-Sun and the front page was just a big picture of Dan Andrews with the title  'HOPELESS' - it left me speechless with shock - it was at the time that NSW announced some lifting of restrictions when they hit 70% vaxxed and Victoria was yet to announce something. Around the same time I cancelled a digital subscription to The Age because of an Editorial they wrote slamming Dan Andrews for not having a plan for 'opening up'. Of course a few days later, the fake tradie riots started in Melbourne and then the media turned around and blamed the Unions and Dan Andrews - for something they basically egged on and encouraged with their constant criticism.

And don't get me started on Scotty from Announcements and the Federal Government - the most corrupt bunch of useless assholes in the history of Australian politics

Perrottet seems a bit of a worry too - those announcements today of much more rapid easing of restrictions than originally planned with no masks needed in offices now without the CHO in attendance - head scratching. Wealth over Health i guess.....

Rant over

15 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This is off topic but why do Sydney love Vile Kyle and Jackie O ?   He is so offensive and idiotic and she just agrees and enables him.  The rest of Australia hate them but they rate so well in Sydney. It is a mystery to so many. 

I wish I knew the answer to that. Utterly perplexing. It was the same with Alan Jones. People tune in to listen in droves and agree with everything they say.

I don’t want to sound like a snob but it’s hard not to question people’s intelligence at times.

Please explain to me how and why you find this entertaining and the gospel truth?

1 hour ago, swimtoshore said:

Aussie politics is a shitshow and the media bias is staggering. I can't watch the ABC anymore, especially Leigh Sales - it is all just LNP propaganda (except Laura Tingle). And as for Murdoch and Channel Nine (who now owns The Age) - jesus christ the bias is off the charts. I was at the supermarket a few weeks back and the woman in front of me was buying the Herald-Sun and the front page was just a big picture of Dan Andrews with the title  'HOPELESS' - it left me speechless with shock - it was at the time that NSW announced some lifting of restrictions when they hit 70% vaxxed and Victoria was yet to announce something. Around the same time I cancelled a digital subscription to The Age because of an Editorial they wrote slamming Dan Andrews for not having a plan for 'opening up'. Of course a few days later, the fake tradie riots started in Melbourne and then the media turned around and blamed the Unions and Dan Andrews - for something they basically egged on and encouraged with their constant criticism.

And don't get me started on Scotty from Announcements and the Federal Government - the most corrupt bunch of useless assholes in the history of Australian politics

Perrottet seems a bit of a worry too - those announcements today of much more rapid easing of restrictions than originally planned with no masks needed in offices now without the CHO in attendance - head scratching. Wealth over Health i guess.....

Rant over

Agree with everything.  Leigh Sales is a disgrace.  I don't watch the 7.30 report anymore because of her dreadful bias.  Notice how she went to Dan Andrews press conferences and gave him a hard time but did not once go to Glady's conferences and she is in Sydney.  Pathetic.  Wish Laura Tingle was the permanent host.  

As for the Herald Sun,  I sometimes read it at work and had to stop as it was making me so angry.  The Murdoch bias is disgusting.  According to them, Melbourne is always hopeless etc with article after article slamming the government yet when NSW had all of those cases the headline  was "  Sydney Strong"  praising the government.  How Murdoch gets away with this continually is shocking.  Not in any way having a go at the public in Sydney - only the media. 

Andrew Bolt, Rita,and Peta Credlin in the Herald Scum have been encouraging people to break the rules all the time.  Now they are slamming the police all the time as well.  They pretend to care about mental health but in every single other circumstance in the past,  have dismissed mental health and never wanted extra funding.  The Age is now owned by Peter Costello and had changed so much.  Don't get me started on Sky News - now becoming just like Fox news in America. 

Scotty from Marketing is as corrupt as all hell and is our worst PM ever.  I fully agree with your " rant"  in every way. 

36 minutes ago, cardiganstarlet said:

I wish I knew the answer to that. Utterly perplexing. It was the same with Alan Jones. People tune in to listen in droves and agree with everything they say.

I don’t want to sound like a snob but it’s hard not to question people’s intelligence at times.

Please explain to me how and why you find this entertaining and the gospel truth?

We have horrors here as well.  New South Wales is such a vibrant, beautiful and progressive state and just stuns me that the public listen to Alan Jones and Kyle and Jackie O.  I don't find them funny, informative or intelligent.  Kyle is such a sexist nasty pig as well.  

14 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

We have horrors here as well.  New South Wales is such a vibrant, beautiful and progressive state and just stuns me that the public listen to Alan Jones and Kyle and Jackie O.  I don't find them funny, informative or intelligent.  Kyle is such a sexist nasty pig as well.  

What do you think of all the druggies lurking in melbourne cbd now and that it feels dead. 

3 hours ago, Creepy Insane Person said:

What do you think of all the druggies lurking in melbourne cbd now and that it feels dead. 

I don't know much about the druggies lurking but I am positive Melbourne will bounce back to all it's glory when this pandemic is over.  Don't lose faith -  Melbourne is a wonderful city.  So many cities all around the world have been through a lot.  It is not just Melbourne. 

3 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I don't know much about the druggies lurking but I am positive Melbourne will bounce back to all it's glory when this pandemic is over.  Don't lose faith -  Melbourne is a wonderful city.  So many cities all around the world have been through a lot.  It is not just Melbourne. 

You don’t see the druggies lurking around the cbd starting trouble :0

i have to be on a look out when walking through the cbd, especially on Elizabeth street near Flinder station, where Subway and that 24 hour Donut place next to Coles is. 

@swimtoshore  OMG.  I am at work at the moment on break but had the misfortune to read the Herald Scum on my lunch.  Headings of Toxic Dan and telling him to resign with article after article on multiple pages.  The letters to the editor are cherry picked as well.  Of course, they are also slamming the corruption enquiry in Sydney for daring to investigate Gladys's relationship with Dodgy ex Daryl and if he influenced money and rorts.  Every single day,  the Herald Sun is basically a " I hate Victoria and the Labor party"  propaganda sheet.   Andrew Bolt is defending the new NSW Premier and saying how dreadful Australians are who criticise the far right etc.  He is always defending anyone who is from the far right.  He defends Margaret Court, George Pell, Donald Trump all the time and even defended the policeman who killed George Floyd.  It is so infuriating to have his opinion everywhere so often.  

2 minutes ago, Creepy Insane Person said:

i have to be on a look out when walking through the cbd, especially on Elizabeth street near Flinder station, where Subway and that 24 hour Donut place next to Coles is. 

I don't drive through that part of the city.  I usually always use the Westgate Bridge.  

2 hours ago, Creepy Insane Person said:

I think presuming that those less fortunate than you and are possibly in need of some sort of social/health welfare are ‘druggies’ is a bit of an unhelpful attitude. 

Crime can happen anywhere obviously but Sydney and Melbourne CBDs are hardly downtown Kabul.

13 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@swimtoshore  OMG.  I am at work at the moment on break but had the misfortune to read the Herald Scum on my lunch.  Headings of Toxic Dan and telling him to resign with article after article on multiple pages.  The letters to the editor are cherry picked as well.  Of course, they are also slamming the corruption enquiry in Sydney for daring to investigate Gladys's relationship with Dodgy ex Daryl and if he influenced money and rorts.  Every single day,  the Herald Sun is basically a " I hate Victoria and the Labor party"  propaganda sheet.   Andrew Bolt is defending the new NSW Premier and saying how dreadful Australians are who criticise the far right etc.  He is always defending anyone who is from the far right.  He defends Margaret Court, George Pell, Donald Trump all the time and even defended the policeman who killed George Floyd.  It is so infuriating to have his opinion everywhere so often.  

I used to skim the Herald Sun when I would buy it for my mum. She always used to ask me to get it once a week for the TV guide. It's more than 3 years ago now since I used to buy it. I don't recognize it now - I mean it was trashy and never great journalism, but it didn't seem so biased back then. Now if I see the front page headlines they are always some awful attack on Dan Andrews - it is just mind boggling what is going on in media in Australia. Apparently the Courier Mail is the same in Queensland attacking Annastacia

On 10/6/2021 at 10:56 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

I love you @cardiganstarlet  Agree totally with your rant ( as you call it ) 

Gladys has a real cult following.  I have noticed that. I loved Julia Gillard too and the Murdoch press destroyed her. 

It's not such a mystery to me if I look around at all the fucking morons I'm surrounded by in this city.

Gladys stepping down was inevitable. I knew she would never be going to the next election. And I bet she is relieved AF to be able to let go given the shitshow that is her life the last few months.

As for the Gilead douche bag we now have, if there would be anything positive to gleam from it, is that it might mean the LNP will loose the next election. Here's hoping!

On 10/7/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

In reality, it's not. I happen to live in an area where the majority voted no for marriage equality...and surprise surprise, also where COVID cases were through the roof. Of course parts of the city have progressive and tolerant people, but by and large, there are plenty of stupid people who are so easily swayed into eating up right wing propaganda. It's a phenomenon seen in most western countries and why douche bags rule.

I'm in Queensland and am staggered at the media's treatment of our premier vs the NSW ex-premier.

You'd think it was Annastacia who was under investigation for corruption and who has led the whole state into months and months of lockdown! Meanwhile, Gladys gets lauded and sympathized, as though it were somehow unfair for her to get dragged before an enquiry into her possibly illegal activity.

I think a lot of Queenslanders are waking up to how slanted the media is in Australia, because we keep hearing how bad things are here and how Annastacia's covid response is somehow letting us down, but our eyes, ears and lived reality say otherwise. No lockdowns, business booming, people taking holidays etc. Even the boomers, older voters and people from conservative regional areas know something's not right with the media coverage and are talking about it.

8 hours ago, San said:

It's not such a mystery to me if I look around at all the fucking morons I'm surrounded by in this city.

Gladys stepping down was inevitable. I knew she would never be going to the next election. And I bet she is relieved AF to be able to let go given the shitshow that is her life the last few months.

As for the Gilead douche bag we now have, if there would be anything positive to gleam from it, is that it might mean the LNP will loose the next election. Here's hoping!

But Sydney is full of tourists 

Ugh so depressed about the idiot new Premier. We already stuffed up the country with Galdys and her shitty response to covid and now we have let it rip dom in charge this will not go well. The only person happy about him is my partners dad who is anti vaxx and clive palmer/ Craig Kelly et al fan. Lets just say things get heated whenever we speak. 

I really hate the direction we are headed in Australia at the moment. Housing prices are a joke, the economy is stuffed, our PM and government are shit and Murdoch controls all of the media and has brainwashed most of the country  into thinking Libs good Labor bad. Just look at the attack job on Vic, QLD and WA leaders and the total oposite on Gladys woth the high covid numbers, deaths and long lockdown and then when she quit they didn't blame her for being corrupt like wtf.

Its very much like the US right vs left environment and that bull crap about freedom of speech being taken away when they are just upset they can'tbe racists or bigots and get away with it and hating equal rights. 

Sorry rant over. I'm just really not enjoying it here at the moment. Now if our new Trump wannabe premier brings in this bullshit religious freedom bill by Mark Latham that attack LGBTQI rights or doesnt allow for euthanasia or removes abortion rights im outta NSW...if scummo wins again im seriously considering leaving OZ. NZ looking pretty good right about now!

On 10/8/2021 at 10:53 PM, San said:

In reality, it's not. I happen to live in an area where the majority voted no for marriage equality...and surprise surprise, also where COVID cases were through the roof. Of course parts of the city have progressive and tolerant people, but by and large, there are plenty of stupid people who are so easily swayed into eating up right wing propaganda. It's a phenomenon seen in most western countries and why douche bags rule.

San,  always love reading your posts. :inlove: I have been very lucky in that every person I have personally met from NSW have been tolerant progressive people.  Same with Victoria though,  in NSW so many stupid people who believe the right wing press.  Just had one of the most busiest stressful weeks at emergency and it has really got to me that so many are agreeing with so called " journalists"  who have encouraged people in Melbourne to break the rules.  Of course, now that so many have and ambulance wait times etc are through the roof,  these same Murdoch journalists are blaming the Victorian government who pleaded with people to not break the rules during Grand final week.  It is so frustrating and awful.  Sad indeed that right wing ideology is taking over the world.  I swear if I see more right wing idiots and anti vaxxers  from America and UK telling Australia that we are in prison etc on social media,  I will scream.  Those idiot protesters pretending to be constructions workers while saying they are " patriots"  are so frustating as well.  

On 10/8/2021 at 11:47 PM, Bitch I'm Christian said:

I'm in Queensland and am staggered at the media's treatment of our premier vs the NSW ex-premier.

You'd think it was Annastacia who was under investigation for corruption and who has led the whole state into months and months of lockdown! Meanwhile, Gladys gets lauded and sympathized, as though it were somehow unfair for her to get dragged before an enquiry into her possibly illegal activity.

I think a lot of Queenslanders are waking up to how slanted the media is in Australia, because we keep hearing how bad things are here and how Annastacia's covid response is somehow letting us down, but our eyes, ears and lived reality say otherwise. No lockdowns, business booming, people taking holidays etc. Even the boomers, older voters and people from conservative regional areas know something's not right with the media coverage and are talking about it.

@Bitch I'm Christian   It is so glaringly obvious the shocking bias of the media.  Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania and South Australia are all free from covid and I so happy for them.  The media continually attack the Labor premiers ( Queensland and WA ) for keeping their states safe  and closing boarders while completely ignoring the fact that South Australia and Tasmania are doing exactly the same.  Of course Tasmania and SA have Lib premiers. So obvious where the bias is.   Queensland is doing a fantastic job. 

13 hours ago, Leebf said:

Ugh so depressed about the idiot new Premier. We already stuffed up the country with Galdys and her shitty response to covid and now we have let it rip dom in charge this will not go well. The only person happy about him is my partners dad who is anti vaxx and clive palmer/ Craig Kelly et al fan. Lets just say things get heated whenever we speak. 

I really hate the direction we are headed in Australia at the moment. Housing prices are a joke, the economy is stuffed, our PM and government are shit and Murdoch controls all of the media and has brainwashed most of the country  into thinking Libs good Labor bad. Just look at the attack job on Vic, QLD and WA leaders and the total oposite on Gladys woth the high covid numbers, deaths and long lockdown and then when she quit they didn't blame her for being corrupt like wtf.

Its very much like the US right vs left environment and that bull crap about freedom of speech being taken away when they are just upset they can'tbe racists or bigots and get away with it and hating equal rights. 

Sorry rant over. I'm just really not enjoying it here at the moment. Now if our new Trump wannabe premier brings in this bullshit religious freedom bill by Mark Latham that attack LGBTQI rights or doesnt allow for euthanasia or removes abortion rights im outta NSW...if scummo wins again im seriously considering leaving OZ. NZ looking pretty good right about now!

So true Leebf.  The bias is dreadful.  Agree with everything you said. 

Oh god @Leebf, everything you say is true and it's a sad reality when you know there are more people that will vote to keep these kinda of people in power than not 😩 My brain will never comprehend it all.

And @Jazzy Jan, these trouble makers are perpetually contrary. Everything is wrong, no matter what. I heard a discussion on the radio today regarding the about face the right wing press have now made on climate change action, when they are almost solely responsible for inaction and scepticism in the first place. It's truly despicable.

The PM banging on about social media being a cesspool. Has he looked at himself and the way he and his party operates? They have benefited from the very thing he's complaining about. 

21 hours ago, San said:

I heard a discussion on the radio today regarding the about face the right wing press have now made on climate change action, when they are almost solely responsible for inaction and scepticism in the first place. It's truly despicable. 

Our Prime Minister is being wedged internationally by other leaders into having to take action on climate change, whether his party likes it or not. I think Murdoch's papers changing their tune on climate change is them trying to turn around the viewpoint of the Australian conservative voter base, lest they abandon the LNP in droves over the commitments Morrisson will be forced to make.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Our Prime Minister is being wedged internationally by other leaders into having to take action on climate change, whether his party likes it or not. I think Murdoch's papers changing their tune on climate change is them trying to turn around the viewpoint of the Australian conservative voter base, lest they abandon the LNP in droves over the commitments Morrisson will be forced to make.

True. 

Scott Morrison is so embarrassing for Australia. I dread what he will say in Glasgow at the climate summit. He had to be shamed to attend too. He is useless.