24 year old guy beaten to death in Northern Spain over his sexuality during Pride weekend

So angry at how some try to brush off the homophobic angle đŸ€Ź I was gladly surprised to find the manifestations downtown tonight completely packed with thousands claiming for justice.

Spain: Police probe suspected hate crime targeting gay man

Published July 5, 2021 11:53 a.m. ET
Updated July 5, 2021 4:34 p.m. ET
The rainbow flag with a black ribbon flutters during a protest against the killing of Samuel Luiz in the Puerta del Sol in central Madrid, Spain, Monday, July 5, 2021. Authorities in northwestern Spain are asking for time to fully investigate why a 24-year-old man was beaten to death, a crime that has triggered widespread condemnation because friends of the victim claim he was targeted for being gay. LGBTQ activists have called for protests in dozens of cities across Spain later on Monday and members of Spain's left-wing Cabinet have condemned the death of Samuel Luiz in the early hours of Saturday as a hate crime. Police are reviewing surveillance cameras and questioning over a dozen suspects and witnesses who saw how Luiz was beaten to death outside a nightclub in the city of A Coruña. The death comes amid a spike in attacks on LGBTQ people. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue) 
The rainbow flag with a black ribbon flutters during a protest against the killing of Samuel Luiz in the Puerta del Sol in central Madrid, Spain, Monday, July 5, 2021. Authorities in northwestern Spain are asking for time to fully investigate why a 24-year-old man was beaten to death, a crime that has triggered widespread condemnation because friends of the victim claim he was targeted for being gay. LGBTQ activists have called for protests in dozens of cities across Spain later on Monday and members of Spain's left-wing Cabinet have condemned the death of Samuel Luiz in the early hours of Saturday as a hate crime. Police are reviewing surveillance cameras and questioning over a dozen suspects and witnesses who saw how Luiz was beaten to death outside a nightclub in the city of A Coruña. The death comes amid a spike in attacks on LGBTQ people. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)

MADRID -- Authorities in northwestern Spain are asking for time to fully investigate the death of a 24-year-old man that sparked widespread condemnation after friends of the victim claimed he was targeted and beaten to death for being gay.

LGBTQ2S+ activists have called for protests in dozens of cities across Spain later on Monday and members of Spain's left-wing Cabinet have condemned the death of Samuel Luiz in the early hours of Saturday as a hate crime.

Police are reviewing surveillance cameras and questioning over a dozen suspects and witnesses who were outside a nightclub in the city of A Coruna at the time the crime took place, the government's delegate in the northwestern Galicia region said Monday.

Luiz's friends told Spain's El Mundo newspaper that the suspects began attacking Luiz, who was on a video call with a friend at the time, because they believed he was trying to record them. The attackers used a derogatory word for homosexuals, according to the friends' version of the events.

“We are at the early stages, only the investigation will tell us if whether it was a homophobic crime or not,” the delegate, Jose Minones, told reporters. He called for “prudence” in depicting the events.

No arrests have been made so far, Minones said.

The death comes amid a spike in attacks on LGBTQ2S+ people. Activist groups claim that official statistics only capture a fraction of the problem because many incidents are not reported.

Social Rights Minister Ione Belarra was criticized by many on social media for being too quick in condemning Luiz's death as a “hate crime” when she sent a tweet on Sunday with her condolences to the victim's relatives and friends.

“We want a country free of violence where everybody feels free to be who they are,” Belarra tweeted

NEWS
‘Justice for Samuel’: Outrage in Spain over the fatal beating (and possible homophobic murder) of a 24-year-old

image.png

Samuel Luiz, 24, died early Saturday in the Spanish city of A Coruña after a fatal beating by a group of people near a nightclub. The Police already questioned 13 people on Monday and the security cameras that recorded what happened are being essential in the investigation.

The first hypotheses suggest that it all began with a dispute over a mobile phone from one of the friends Samuel was with. Apparently, the young woman made a video call and the attackers thought she was recording them. They approached her violently and Samuel tried to reassure them.

One of them punched him and then the rest joined in kicking the victim until they decided to flee and leave him half dead on the ground. He died when he was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

One of Samuel’s friends explained that the beating occurred while they yelled “fag” at him. In a tweet, another friend of the victim, who was not present at the time of the attack, claims that he was killed because of his sexual orientation. This message has set fire to social networks.

Through the ‘hashtag’ #JusticiaParaSamuel, many Internet users, including politicians and artists, have asked for justice and for the crime to be clarified.

For their part, the Police have not confirmed until now that there was a homophobic motivation in the murder. The delegate of the Executive in Galicia, JosĂ© Miñones, said this Monday that no hypothesis is ruled out. Miñones asked “prudence and respect for the work of the Police, which continues with the open investigation.”

Meanwhile, the subdelegate of the Government in A Coruña, MarĂ­a Rivas, commented that “it is a specific event”, without confirming that it was a homophobic attack.

The Minister of Equality, Irene Montero, condemned what happened and asked to build “a freer society in which we leave no room for hatred”.

“All the affection to his family and friends. What a sad day! Personal, social and legal reproach for those who overflow with brutality and homophobia,” wrote the head of the Ecological Transition, Teresa Ribera.

Likewise, LGTBI associations have organized rallies in several cities to denounce what they consider to be a homophobic crime.

Absolutely disgusting. And those on the right trying to pretend it wasn't a homophobic attack... deplorable! This is so upsetting to hear about since I've always considered Spain a utopia of liberation. 

I hate how they are trying to turn this into "The killers didn't know him so they didn't know he was gay, so they didn't really mean it when they were shouting "Faggot" while beating him to death".

Newsflash: every day members of the LGBT community have to deal with people that don't know them saying stuff about them, sometimes directly to them, sometimes to others or even to themselves but with a tone and intention to be heard.

The guy was doing a videocall with one of his lesbian friends and her girlfriend, I'm sure he was acting like many gay guys would and this was noticed by the animals that killed him.

The saddest part is seeing the "but they didn't know him, so they couldn't have known he was gay" narrative invading not only social media but the press. Where are those people living?

8 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

I hate how they are trying to turn this into "The killers didn't know him so they didn't know he was gay, so they didn't really mean it when they were shouting "Faggot" while beating him to death".

Newsflash: every day members of the LGBT community have to deal with people that don't know them saying stuff about them, sometimes directly to them, sometimes to others or even to themselves but with a tone and intention to be heard.

The guy was doing a videocall with one of his lesbian friends and her girlfriend, I'm sure he was acting like many gay guys would and this was noticed by the animals that killed him.

The saddest part is seeing the "but they didn't know him, so they couldn't have known he was gay" narrative invading not only social media but the press. Where are those people living?

So disgusting. They didn't know he was gay but called hi fag anyway = hate crime, no matter how it's parsed.

You think we've come so far in this world, and then suddenly you're reminded that we haven't. Not far enough and not by a long-shot. 

Love to Samuel's family and friends. 

10 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Absolutely disgusting. And those on the right trying to pretend it wasn't a homophobic attack... deplorable! This is so upsetting to hear about since I've always considered Spain a utopia of liberation. 

The extreme right is running rampant with the complicity of powerful media. The hate discourse against children immigrant for example. And Justice is a joke, a brunch of Franco followers. This week they exonerated a leader of the extreme right party of embellishing because "it was so badly done it can't even take seriously", they allowed their political campaign against migrant children "because they are a social problem" and yet a rapper is in jail for saying the former king is a thief (he is and it's proven) and a leftist politician will go to jail because she used force trying to stop the eviction from a vulnerable family. 

Not to mention the fact that the Catalonian politicians have FINALLY been released. Thanks to the leftist government (mainly forced because the Strasbourg Court was about to declare illegal the sentence). And you can't imagine the UPROAR of the right wing people.

Spain is going fast the Trump route, just like other countries. 

the thing is that the homofoby is so inside the society that the use of the word faggot when they are hitting you to dead, is not seen as something against lgtbi community, because for them is a "normal word" whe you are angry... thereÂŽs so much work to do.

and I didnÂŽt know about StrasbourgÂŽs sentence. If I was the president , I would have let the court in europe take the blame for having them out, so I donÂŽt know...

2 hours ago, promise to try said:

the thing is that the homofoby is so inside the society that the use of the word faggot when they are hitting you toi dead, is not seen as something against lgtbi community, because for them is a "normal word" whe you are angry... there so much work to do.

and I didnÂŽt know about StrasbourgÂŽs sentence. If I was the president , I would have let the court in europe take the blame for having them out, so I donÂŽt know...

SMH.

I hope the LGBT community does not stay quiet and let them get away with this escape route.

Every day gay men get attacked, be it verbally or even physically, by people that don't know them or have confirmation of their sexuality. Being sure doesn't matter to the attacker.

That cannot be an excuse.

"They were just saying it as an insult". It's not the same saying that to a jock than to a somewhat effeminate guy while you and your gang of friends hit him until he's he's longer responding. Denying this is irresponsible. 

In recent years, there has been an alarming normalization of far-right speeches all over the Occident and this opens the door to an increase in these appalling crimes. When I look at the decline of the right to abortion in different countries, of the increase in feminicides, homophobic and xenophobic crimes, I am particularly furious that rights groups and associations allow themselves to be infiltrated by Wokes who discredit and hijack the discourse and the actions of these groups with their trivial issues instead of allowing them to do their necessary work. Acquired rights are recent and without constant vigilance, they can disappear at the speed of light.

1 hour ago, Martin B. said:

In recent years, there has been an alarming normalization of far-right speeches all over the Occident and this opens the door to an increase in these appalling crimes. When I look at the decline of the right to abortion in different countries, of the increase in feminicides, homophobic and xenophobic crimes, I am particularly furious that rights groups and associations allow themselves to be infiltrated by Wokes who discredit and hijack the discourse and the actions of these groups with their trivial issues instead of allowing them to do their necessary work. Acquired rights are recent and without constant vigilance, they can disappear at the speed of light.

In my opinion it's a reaction from privileged groups when it's clear they are losing their privileges. A reaction against a multicultural society, a reaction against liberated LGTB, women reaching goals....

Opportunistic politicians turn that fear and anger into a right wing wave. It happens in many many countries now. 

I am optimistic though, because we are unstoppable and they will end up alone.

Now they're also adding "The guys were too drunk" in the news. As if that would excuse them somehow.

Sickening. 

Por maricĂłn

Hay quien defiende que el crimen de Samuel Luiz no es homĂłfobo, puesto que sus asesinos no lo conocĂ­an. Los de mi clase no sabĂ­amos si Manolito era marica, pero lo parecĂ­a, y eso bastaba y basta para humillarlos

Concentración en A Coruña en repulsa por el asesinato de Samuel Luiz la noche del pasado såbado.
ConcentraciĂłn en A Coruña en repulsa por el asesinato de Samuel Luiz la noche del pasado sĂĄbado.ÓSCAR CORRAL

MÁS INFORMACIÓN

En mi cole habĂ­a un niño de pelo rojo rabioso, pecas hasta en las cejas, labio leporino severo y una voz de pito tartaja perdida que solo le oĂ­amos cuando la señorita lo castigaba sacĂĄndolo a cantar la lecciĂłn a la pizarra. Narbona, que asĂ­ se apellidaba el compa de cuyo nombre no me acuerdo, lo tenĂ­a todo para ser el blanco perfecto de los cafres de la clase, pero, siĂ©ndolo, no era su predilecto. Ese era Manolito, cuyo apellido sĂ­ recuerdo, pero omito por si acaso. Listo, lĂĄnguido, largo y flaco como un palo, sin el menor interĂ©s por el fĂștbol ni las peleas de gallos de sus congĂ©neres, Manolito era la alegrĂ­a del recreo de las chicas. Rajaba cual loro, guardaba secretos bajo torturas, sujetaba la goma mĂĄs alto, batĂ­a la comba mĂĄs rĂĄpido y hacĂ­a de bruja del tren de la bruja mejor que todas nosotras juntas. Todas lo adorĂĄbamos, claro, pero ninguna salimos a defenderlo cuando crecimos y alguno de los salvajes que antes solo lo ignoraban empezaron a llamarlo marica. Nunca le pedĂ­ perdĂłn ni me lo perdonĂ© a mĂ­ misma.

Hay quien defiende que el crimen de Samuel Luiz, un chico de 24 años al que mataron de una paliza al grito de “maricĂłn”, no es homĂłfobo, puesto que sus asesinos no lo conocĂ­an y no sabĂ­an si era marica. Tampoco los cafres ni las chicas de mi clase sabĂ­amos si lo era Manolito. Puede que ni lo supiera Ă©l mismo, a sus 10 añitos. Pero lo parecĂ­a. Y eso bastaba y basta para humillarlos. TambiĂ©n hay quien dice que, a fuerza de usarlo en otros contextos, “maricĂłn” no es un insulto, como tampoco “cabrĂłn” o “hijoputa”. Pues miren, no. Llamar a un ajeno “maricĂłn” es homĂłfobo. Y a una ajena “puta”, machista. Lo saben. Lo sabemos. Llamemos a las cosas por su nombre. Por cierto, Narbona se operĂł la boca y mutĂł en maromazo. A Manolito le perdĂ­ la pista. Me gusta imaginarlo, tantos años despuĂ©s, siendo feliz como quiera que sea. Desde aquĂ­ le pido diculpas por mĂ­ y por mis compañeras.

5 hours ago, karbatal said:

@IsaacHarrisyou know I laugh many times at Beyonce, partly joking because I really don't think she's that bad. 

Well she posted this beautiful tweet in honour of this Spanish gay boy who was beaten to death. I think this is very touching

💝💔 Very lovely of her to do!

and the death of Samuel is Tragic!!! Sad to see such HATE in 2021, but not surprising either.

On 7/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, Je5u5 said:

Now they're also adding "The guys were too drunk" in the news. As if that would excuse them somehow.

Sickening. 

Imagine this “DEFENSE” working in any other situation :rant:

Intoxicated or NOT, I need them to get fucked with a lengthy prison sentence.

4 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

Imagine this “DEFENSE” working in any other situation :rant:

Intoxicated or NOT, I need them to get fucked with a lengthy prison sentence.

funnily enough it only works against minorities or oppressed groups. But surely it wouldn't be an excuse to rob a bank or assault the house of a white heterosexual rich man.

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t cry very often but this made me cry.

I saw a video a few years ago, I think it was on here of this poor transgender Brazilian person being beaten then thrown into a wheelbarrow to be carted off and murdered  by a group of dickheads and I’ve never gotten over it. It’s haunted me for years. 

On 7/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Je5u5 said:

Sickening. 

Disgusting 

Same disgusting excuse used for rape crimes "the girl was high, the guys were high..." 

1 hour ago, idro said:

Disgusting 

Same disgusting excuse used for rape crimes "the girl was high, the guys were high..." 

It's gotten worse. 

Apologies such as  "The guy was blinded by his girlfriend pushing him to continue hitting him" have made its way to the press.

The summary was unsealed yesterday. Turns out they even injured him with a crystal bottle and a metallic object besides the punching and kicking. Bastards.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, LSD said:

Somehow even though they are trying, homophobia will not grow much in Spain in my opinion. Spain has lots of flaws but it's curious that the country is very open regarding LGTB. 

But it is true that they are trying A LOT recently. 

11 hours ago, karbatal said:

Somehow even though they are trying, homophobia will not grow much in Spain in my opinion. Spain has lots of flaws but it's curious that the country is very open regarding LGTB. 

But it is true that they are trying A LOT recently. 

This is one of the reasons I so love Spain. Its really socially liberal regarding LGBTQ, its like the Netherlands of the south! And its a fucking beautiful country with great ppl!

On 9/23/2021 at 8:23 PM, elijah said:

This is one of the reasons I so love Spain. Its really socially liberal regarding LGBTQ, its like the Netherlands of the south! And its a fucking beautiful country with great ppl!

Thank you! 

Sadly extreme fascists are growing here (or being very vocal after being silent for years).