2016 Pulse Nightclub mass shooting

The shooter had two guns, a handgun and a semi automatic one. So that's why maybe it seemed like more than one person.

Omar Mateen's wife was an accomplice. JAIL HA FOR LIFE!

Omar Mateen's Wife Tried to Talk Him Out of Orlando Attack, Sources Say

Quote:
The Orlando gunman's wife has told federal agents she tried to talk her husband out of carrying out the attack, NBC News has learned.

Omar Mateen's wife, Noor Zahi Salman, told the FBI she was with him when he bought ammunition and a holster, several officials familiar with the case said. She told the FBI that she once drove him to the gay nightclub, Pulse, because he wanted to scope it out.

Mateen opened fire at Pulse early Sunday, leaving 49 dead and 53 injured. Twenty-seven victims remained hospitalized Tuesday. Six were in critical condition, according to hospital officials who said the death toll was still at risk of rising because one or two of those patients were "profoundly ill."

Authorities are considering filing criminal charges against Noor for failing to tell them what she knew before the brutal attack, law enforcement officials say, but no decision has been made.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/omar-mateen-s-wife-tried-talk-him-out-orlando-attack-n592051

I also read he told the people he held hostage in the bathroom that there were other shooters to scare them so they wouldn't try to rush him and take the guns away from him.

So that's why they thought there were more, but I think it was just him and he just said that to scare them.

Like I said mass shootings are common in the U.S. A mass shooting is defined by four or more people wounded or dead. On average the past few years there is at least one mass shooting per day. PER DAY! A lot of them don't get much national coverage because they are so frequent and people have become numb to gun violence. They only get shocked now by the higher numbered mass shootings. :thumbsdown:

I posted a few pages back that there have been 174 mass shootings in 163 days in the US.

Quote:
The Orlando gunman's wife has told federal agents she tried to talk her husband out of carrying out the attack, NBC News has learned.

Omar Mateen's wife, Noor Zahi Salman, told the FBI she was with him when he bought ammunition and a holster, several officials familiar with the case said. She told the FBI that she once drove him to the gay nightclub, Pulse, because he wanted to scope it out.

Mateen opened fire at Pulse early Sunday, leaving 49 dead and 53 injured. Twenty-seven victims remained hospitalized Tuesday. Six were in critical condition, according to hospital officials who said the death toll was still at risk of rising because one or two of those patients were "profoundly ill."

Authorities are considering filing criminal charges against Noor for failing to tell them what she knew before the brutal attack, law enforcement officials say, but no decision has been made.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/omar-mateen-s-wife-tried-talk-him-out-orlando-attack-n592051

OMG, if this is true, it's even worse.

It's terrible but she was probably so scared of him she felt she had to do all that and couldn't go to the police or he would kill her or beat her up. He beat the crap out of his first wife.

It's crazy how this incident brings all the current US issues of homophobia, Islamophobia, fundamentalist religion, immigration, gun control and domestic violence against women into one mess of horribleness.

It's hard to know where to even begin to talk about or address the issues brought up by this attack. All this problems come together in this, it's so crazy!

Quote: The Orlando gunman's wife has told federal agents she tried to talk her husband out of carrying out the attack, NBC News has learned.

wtf!!!!! Of course she needs to be charged! This gets more twisted and disheartening the more details we get.

Guest Rachelle of London

I can't even begin to imagine what the families are thinking hearing that the wife knew and couldve raised the alarm

It's terrible but she was probably so scared of him she felt she had to do all that and couldn't go to the police or he would kill her or beat her up. He beat the crap out of his first wife.

It's crazy how this incident brings all the current US issues of homophobia, Islamophobia, fundamentalist religion, immigration, gun control and domestic violence against women into one mess of horribleness.

It's hard to know where to even begin to talk about or address the issues brought up by this attack. All this problems come together in this, it's so crazy!

I do not want to excuse the fact that she did not go to the police, but yes, I have a feeling she was a victim of domestic abuse as well. No telling what was going on at their home.

Terrible situation all around.

His wife was born in the US, in California. She is the daughter of Palestinian immigrants. If they were so religious, how come in the pictures I've seen of her online, she's not wearing a head scarf?

Her parents said since she married the shooter they rarely saw her. That's typical of abusers, they isolate their wives or girlfriends from the families so they have no one to turn to.

:bad:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-06-14/nra-says-obama-political-correctness-are-to-blame-for-orlando-shooting

National Rifle Association Blames Obama and Political Correctness for Orlando Shooting

'Destroy radical Islam, not the right of law-abiding Americans to protect themselves,' NRA executive Chris Cox wrote.

By Rachel Dicker | Associate Editor, Social Media

June 14, 2016, at 4:14 p.m.

In the wake of the mass shooting in Orlando Sunday in which nearly 50 people were killed, the National Rifle Association is blaming "political correctness" for the massacre.

Chris Cox, the executive director of the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action, wrote an op-ed in USA Today Tuesday taking the Obama administration to task for "political correctness" and for not identifying gunman Omar Mateen as a threat.

"The terrorist in Orlando had been investigated multiple times by the FBI," Cox wrote. "He had a government-approved security guard license with a contractor for the Department of Homeland Security. Yet his former co-workers reported violent and racist comments. Unfortunately, the Obama administration's political correctness prevented anything from being done about it."

"Radical Islamic terrorists are not deterred by gun control laws," Cox added. "In the aftermath of this terrorist attack, President Obama and Hillary Clinton renewed calls for more gun control, including a ban on whole categories of semi-automatic firearms. They are desperate to create the illusion that they're doing something to protect us because their policies can't and won't keep us safe."

Presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump has also called on President Barack Obama to use the term "radical Islam" in his discussion of the attacks: "Is President Obama going to finally mention the words radical Islamic terrorism? If he doesn't he should immediately resign in disgrace!"

Meanwhile, Philly.com's Helen Ubinas wrote that she was able to purchase an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle -- the same type of gun Mateen used to kill his victims -- in just seven minutes in Philadelphia the day after the shooting.

"It likely will take more time than that during the forthcoming round of vigils to respectfully read the names of the more than 100 people who were killed or injured," Ubiñas wrote. "It's obscene. Horrifying."

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016/06/protesters-rally-nra-headquarters-call-stricter-gun-control/slide/1/

Protesters rally at NRA headquarters, call for stricter gun control

By Nick Iannelli | @NickWTOP

June 14, 2016 11:54 am

58bon.jpg

FAIRFAX, Virginia - Dozens of protesters rallied outside the National Rifle Association headquarters Tuesday, demanding stricter gun control legislation following the mass shooting at an Orlando nightclub that left 49 victims dead.

"There's no reason anyone needs an assault rifle or a high-capacity magazine," said protester Mike Bento.

"Assault weapons that are made for the military should definitely not be purchased," said demonstrator Ottilia Calhoun.

The Sunday morning attack at Pulse, a nightclub in Orlando, was the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. Federal authorities are still investigating the background and motive of the 29-year-old shooter, Omar Mateen.

"I would like to see some more sensible gun laws," protester Bill Pratt said.

The NRA went on the defensive, responding on Twitter to calls for stricter gun control.

"Law-abiding gun owners are done with being blamed for the acts of madmen and terrorists," tweeted Chris Cox, executive director of the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action, the lobbying arm of the NRA.

"To suggest that all we need is a new ban on assault weapons provides nothing but a dangerous sense of false security," he wrote. "We must defeat radical terrorists, but not resort to destroying the rights of law-abiding Americans to defend themselves."

Quote:

The wife said he was scoping out how he would execute a shooting while they were visiting the Magic Kingdom park at Walt Disney World for the day.

Yep, in the park, scoping out how he would do it...

so fucked up

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/orlando-terrorist-omar-mateen-threatened-shoot-school-article-1.2673782?utm_content=bufferb804d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Omar Mateen bullied gay boy and threatened to shoot up his school

BY CHELSIA ROSE MARCIUS NANCY DILLON

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, June 14, 2016, 4:02 PM

Before he was old enough to buy guns and commit mass murder, Omar Mateen was a mini-misogynist and violent bully who threatened a shooting rampage at his elementary school, people who knew him then say.

In an exclusive interview with the Daily News, his former teacher Kathleen Zurich said Mateen insulted other kids, stole their toys, acted out and still managed to get a free pass from his enabling father.

Former classmate Leslie Hall recalled Mateen openly fantasizing about a campus massacre when he was in fifth grade at Mariposa Elementary in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

"He was going to bring a gun to school and threatened to kill everyone he didn't like," Hall, 30, told The News Tuesday.

"He made that comment in passing to me and my friends," she said. We were in the hallway and he made that comment.

Another classmate also recalled the threat that got Mateen suspended.

"He said he was going to bring a gun to school," said Christopher Diaz, 28. "Everybody knew he said it."

Diaz called Mateen a "troublemaker" and a loner.

"I remember his dad dropping him off every day in a limo," he added.

Hall's father said Mateen's bullying was tough on his young daughter.

"There were issues with that kid, oh lord. He treated all the girls bad," Bill Hall, 62, told The News.

"She would come home and she was upset, visibly upset. She was really bothered by him," the concerned dad said.

"The school was well aware of his issues. They should've taken more action. I mean, there were flags all over the place about this guy. We weren't the only ones. Other students' parents and other students also made complaints about him."

His daughter said she wasnt Mateens only target.

"He was very disrespectful, Leslie Hall said. He was spitting in teachers faces.

Zurich, 62, said she tried her best but couldn't get through to the deeply troubled boy when she taught him in fourth and fifth grade.

"He felt that women were beneath him. He was taught to disrespect them. He felt his family was wealthy and that he was superior and had to be catered to. He would say to other kids, 'You're poor, you don't have anything.' He was mean-spirited," she told The News.

On the playground he would take things first. He would grab someone's ball from them, things like that.

"He struggled with reading and with other subjects. I think this was his way of deflecting his own insecurities," she recalled, trying to make sense of the child who years later would storm a gay Orlando nightclub and mow down 49 innocent people with an assault rifle.

She said Mateen even disrespected his own female relatives.

"His mom, his sisters were afraid of him. They had to be subservient to him because he was the son. They treated him like the father, with respect," she said.

Zurich said Mateen's father Seddique Mir Mateen turned a blind eye to his son's out-of-control behavior.

"One of the teachers told his father, 'If he continues like this, picking on other kids, he's going to end up shot,'" Zurich said.

"The father, he was a pig. He always felt like he was the victim. He was never mean to me because he knew I had his son's best interest in mind. But he was disrespectful to women at large. He just felt women were not to be valued," she said.

"He was in denial about his son even then. He would say, 'Oh Omar, he does nothing wrong,

"I blame his father for all of this," Zurich added.

"His father being the way he is did not help his situation at all," Leslie Hall said, echoing Zurich's sentiments. "He would relay what his dad told him. Women were nothing to him. He thought they should bow down to him."

Leslie Hall recalled Mateen cursing at women and singling out people to torment.

"There's not a person who I grew up with that will say anything nice about him. Nobody wanted to be around him. He had no friends," the former classmate said.

"He carried a lot of hatred.

Zurich said that when she first heard about the senseless slaughter inside Pulse nightclub on Sunday, it took her breath away.

"I thought, 'My God, I knew this child, I taught him.' You want to think you made a difference in a child's life, and to know this is what he became leaves you at a loss for words," she said. "Having a gay child myself, it just broke my heart. I'm still in shock."

Zurich didn't recall seeing any early signs that Mateen struggled with his sexuality, but she said it wouldn't surprise her if his stated homophobia was rooted in twisted self-loathing.

"I would not be surprised if he was gay. That would explain where all of his anger came from. His family would never have accepted him if that were the case," she said.

"He picked on one gay boy in another class," she recalled.

Don't know if its been mentioned yet but I saw an interview with a guy who said Omar used to hit on and try and pick up men at this club.

Self hating closet case.

Can anyone understand why people such as Donald Trump and the NRA support and justify people owning high powered weapons and think it is right? I will never understand that logic. It is something that always stuns me. I fear that nothing will ever get achieved while the NRA and gun Lobby seem to rule everything. If Trump gets in, it will get even worse. Innocent souls killed all the time and nothing changes.

Can anyone understand why people such as Donald Trump and the NRA support and justify people owning high powered weapons and think it is right?

I tend to think men sometimes like to own certain things to make up for shortcomings.

His wife was born in the US, in California. She is the daughter of Palestinian immigrants. If they were so religious, how come in the pictures I've seen of her online, she's not wearing a head scarf?

Her parents said since she married the shooter they rarely saw her. That's typical of abusers, they isolate their wives or girlfriends from the families so they have no one to turn to.

I'm a Muslim and I don't wear a head scarf on my head or wear burka/hijab and my parents are pretty old fashion..

Can anyone understand why people such as Donald Trump and the NRA support and justify people owning high powered weapons and think it is right? I will never understand that logic. It is something that always stuns me. I fear that nothing will ever get achieved while the NRA and gun Lobby seem to rule everything. If Trump gets in, it will get even worse. Innocent souls killed all the time and nothing changes.

NRA makes money

Tramp, and people like it, get power playing on certain categories of people's fears