2016 Pulse Nightclub mass shooting

Shootings in Europe are extremely rare in Europe. Buying a gun in the UK is extremely difficuly and a very legally challenging action. In the US it's like joining netflix.

Ok when I first heard the news about 20 dead I was already shocked, but now with those numbers I honestly have a sick feeling in the stomach right now. And looks like it's ISIS-related again. No words.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but do we know of any members besides MHCL (and yes thank god he's safe) who live in the Orlando area?

Don't really know what to say. Just lost for words, like back when the Brussels and Paris attacks happened. As others have pointed out though, unlike the European attacks this one now would have happened much less likely if it wasn't for these loose gun laws. I really wonder how many shootings the US will have to endure until the NRA and all parts of the public wake up.

How did the Paris killers get guns?

I heard on the news it's quite easy to get hold of such weapons in continental Europe. Guns can be smuggled through the ports and come up through Turkey and the southern Mediterranean countries.

Lone wolves like this gunman are so hard to protect against though.

I think the NRA will fall one day but it will be as a result of something so horrific that will have to happen to make people give up their guns.

How did the Paris killers get guns?

Exactly. As crazy as this might sound for some, guns aren't the sole problem in all of this.

The US has an appalling attitude towards mental health disease. People with mental health diseases are automatically treated as criminals. And I think one of the worst things is that nothing can be done legally to stop people (in most states) until they commit a crime. The state can't do anything, and that includes stopping someone from buying a gun, unless they commit a crime.

This is a typical background check you need to pass to buy a gun:

http://gunwars.news21.com/2014/quiz/

Look at question number 6. It's so vague and it just reaffirms what I said. The person buying the gun would have had to have done something in the past, tried in a court and considered a threat to himself or others BEFORE anyone can stop him from buying a gun. Not only that, but there's no real database for the mentally ill. How in the world do licensed gun shops run this background check? It seems to me like this is basically an honor system where we just take the person's word for it.

The crazy kid who shot up the elementary school in Connecticut and killed his mother used his mother's guns. NOTHING could've stopped that kid except for proper mental healthcare treatment. Apparently he was super drugged up and end of story.

The entire situation is a huge complicated mess and nothing will change in my opinion until the US changes its attitude towards the mentally ill. Anyone living in the US who supports DAESH clearly has some mental issues and I don't think anyone would've had a problem had he been taken away to a humane mental institution if we knew he was showing these signs. Unfortunately that's not how we treat people in the US, he's automatically a criminal and the FBI watched him closely and even though they knew he posed a danger to his community, they just sat by and waited for him to commit an actual crime (like make a tangible threat) to act.

Guest Rachelle of London

I remember when Sandy Hook happened and people were upset with Obama for CRYING at the press conference. Like WTF.

They won't ban or limit guns even like THIS (and worse) in any way.

2lwka6p.jpg

This thing is not needed to "protect yourself". It shoots a lot of bullets quickly for mass carnage!

They won't ban or limit guns even like THIS (and worse) in any way.

2lwka6p.jpg

This thing is not needed to "protect yourself". It shoots a lot of bullets quickly for mass carnage!

Why would someone even need a gun like that. So ridiculous. America is so fucked.

Guest Rachelle of London

I don't get how it's even possible to buy a gun like that. Fair enough a hand gun but would anyone need that big machine thing? It's mind boggling

This was posted by Banksy

The Orlando shooting is the 173rd U.S. mass shooting in 164 days in 2016

CkwANtrWgAAuvDb.jpgand apparently an attempt to stop terrorist suspects buying weapons was blocked last year!

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/gop-blocks-bill-stop-terrorists-buying-guns

Disgusting. The weapons used for these disgusting events are ASSAULT weapons. They are designed to suppress GROUPS and cause massive harm. They are NOT designed for self defense.

3 people I know are wounded. All employees of the club. Not many updates on their condition.

One person I know was there and managed to escape. I along with all my close friends were weighing going out tonight but we all stayed home. The news unfolded last night around 2 AM and I haven't slept since.

When these things happen elsewhere in the US, I become so enraged at our backwards gun laws that it almost smothers the tragedy of what happens. Now I'm just kinda frozen in depression. This place was a local institution, I used to go there as often as twice a week. The amount of lives lost makes me want to throw up.

Thanks for all the support and well-wishes on social media. I appreciate that some of you guys reached out. We need all the love we can get.

3 people I know are wounded. All employees of the club. Not many updates on their condition.

One person I know was there and managed to escape. I along with all my close friends were weighing going out tonight but we all stayed home. The news unfolded last night around 2 AM and I haven't slept since.

When these things happen elsewhere in the US, I become so enraged at our backwards gun laws that it almost smothers the tragedy of what happens. Now I'm just kinda frozen in depression. This place was a local institution, I used to go there as often as twice a week. The amount of lives lost makes me want to throw up.

Thanks for all the support and well-wishes on social media. I appreciate that some of you guys reached out. We need all the love we can get.

omg. So glad that you're safe. My thoughts are with you and your friends and I hope that the people you know who were there are stable <3

Glad to hear you're safe.

Oh Miguel <3

I can't even read the details, i already have stomach pains from the little i read on Twitter ( I've already gone through too much lately and i can't take it anymore).

The attacks in Paris where so scary because it was 2 blocks away from where i used to live, because one of my best friend was at a concert that night and i did not know if it was at Le Bataclan, i tweeted him like crazy until he answered.

These are scary times but i refuse to be scared, i refuse to let hatred invade my heart because that's what they want. To divide and conquer, to create fear and chaos. That's why i'm not reading the details because it could let them win.

It goes beyond the NRA this time (which does not exempt them of a responsibility here as well). When one is determined to find a weapon to kill, he or she will find it no matter what the laws are. More than the right to possess guns in the US we should question weapons manufacturers, countries who make billions selling weapons (France being in the top 3).

2016 sucks. 6 months in and it's been hell so far.

Glad to hear you're safe.

Same to you. Glad you weren't there when the carnage unfolded.

I really don't know what to say guys. If you have a voice at all on social media, start calling for America to bring back the assault weapons ban from the 90s.

Why would someone even need a gun like that. So ridiculous. America is so fucked.

why would such gun be easily accessible?

This is truly depressing, i'm sick to my stomach, hoping your friends manage to recover

Glad you're ok Miguel.

Glad you're okay. 👌👌❤ Now go and start a petition and make change happen. ✌✌✌

We've had literally HUNDREDS of MASS shootings in the U.S. since Sandy Hook. There are so many frequently that a lot don't generate much news coverage because there's another new one the day after. Even the faces of many young school children as victims wasn't grim enough to motivate this gun obsessed country and gun lobbied Congress to pass substantial gun reform. There were times Obama gave that racist NRA corrupted Congress a tongue lashing for refusing to pass significant gun reform. The NRA doesn't even want expanded background checks. They preach all schoolteachers should be armed with guns and parents train their underage children how to use guns. They don't want any kind of reform that would cut into gun sales. This country's deep gun culture disgusts me!

I always wonder what mass shooting will stop the insane gun culture but nothing seems to. So tragic for American people to live with the fear that these shootings happen so often and can happen anywhere and at any time. Feel so angry and sad for the victims in this senseless and evil act. Too horrifying and tragic.

I am so beyond angry right now. I know, I should be more sad (and I am), but I can't help it right now. Everything regarding this situation is a red flag about the current state of the US - politically, culturally, religiously.....

....and that homophobia is ALIVE and well. I hate having to say this, but there was always that feeling in my gut after the last several years of historic progress that someone, somewhere was going to retaliate. It always happens, in some way. I mean, look where we are with other groups...how could we think we would be any different? And yet I kept hearing, "it's not like that anymore". Yeah, right. Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful to move forward in regards to laws and civil rights...it's another thing completely to elevate social consciousness. And that's the part that is still grossly lacking.

And the fact that it was most likely triggered by someone's disgust of two men kissing... I just...ugghhh... I've said it so many times and people (elsewhere) kept brushing it off...that we, of all groups, could not put our feet up. It's not just an act of "domestic terrorism"...it's a hate crime - a deliberate act of "homophobic terrorism" (which in itself is redundant). And yes, the 'gay' part matters.

And the fact that it's bringing out so much more homophobia and fear in the usual suspects in society right now... You know, it's all interconnected - the "religious liberty" battle, the "gay is sin/haram" rhetoric still blaring loudly, the "love the sinner, hate the sin" assholes sitting on the fence with their pandering condescension, the willful ignorance blaring from bombastic politicians and wannabe ones... SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

And don't even get me started on gun culture and gun laws in America. I'm gonna fucking lose it with this stupid country.

And FUCK the NRA. When are we gonna brand them as a terrorist organization?

Gays/homosexuality, religion/ISIS, terrorism, guns...during this election year...is going to be the perfect storm for you-know-who....

I hope this acts as a wake up call to everyone in this country, not just about guns, not just about religious ideology...but specifically about how that connects to and manifests itself in homophobia. To all those "allies" who think it's all about marriage equality...think again.

ps. I apologize if I piss anyone off. I'm just rambling because I have so many thoughts in this head right now, so many emotions...and I just got to get it out. Not really in the mood to debate. I know, I should be more sad (and I am)...but I can't help but be PISSED THE FUCK OFF right now. When will this country wake the fuck up.....

k I'm reading on twitter that there were 2 other attackers at the club last night. And there's an eyewitness report video from ABC News and the person (Janiel Gonzales) said that there was someone holding the club door shut so people couldn't escape, but he got cut off :/

Trump's response. Truly disgusting:

What has happened in Orlando is just the beginning. Our leadership is weak and ineffective. I called it and asked for the ban. Must be tough

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742096033207844864

The shooter was born and raised in the US :rolleyes:

Are US born muslims going to be kicked out of the US now?