Armed cops try to arrest gay couple for kissing on Mexico beach

Camacho

SEE IT: Armed cops try to arrest gay couple for kissing on Mexico beach, but are stopped by furious crowd demanding their release

By MURI ASSUNÇÃO

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

FEB 26, 2021 AT 2:43 PM

BBMXDRUN4ZHOVMSEYLCJCQRLBQ.jpg

Armed cops try to arrest gay couple for kissing on Mexico beach, but are stopped by furious crowd demanding their release. (Facebook)

Police officers in Mexico attempted to arrest two men for kissing on a beach, but were forced to let them go after a furious crowd gathered in protest.

A video shared on Facebook earlier this week shows at least three heavily armed officers leading the two men, who are in handcuffs, into the back of a pickup truck.

The incident took place in the resort town of Tulum, in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, over the weekend.

The two can be seen being led into the patrol car, as people around them began to protest, some chanting “I’m gay, too!,” in solidarity with the men.

According to The Yucatan Times, the pressure worked and the couple was released a few minutes into the altercation.

Local politician Maritza Escalante Morales, who witnessed the incident, later went online to denounce the actions of the officers.

“I want to express my anger because the police here in Quintana Roo are homophobic,” she said on TikTok.

Morales said that she arrived at the beach around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday when she noticed police officers approaching “a group of young foreigners.”

When she asked fellow beach-goers the reason for the arrest — because they were a same-sex couple who had kissed — she joined the group in protest.

“They were not committing any crime,” Morales wrote, adding that she was “furious” with the cops’ reaction.

“It’s not possible that in the 21st century this type of oppression against the LGBT+ community still happens. We all deserve the same treatment,” she added.

According to LGBTQ Nation, local police later issued a statement saying that the men were arrested for “immoral acts and sexual erotic demonstrations, on the road or public places.”

Morales, however, disagrees.

“We were by their side, at no time did they do anything wrong. Simply by kissing like any other couple, they wanted to take them.”

A protest of “kisses and hugs against homophobia” is being organized for this weekend.

“In protest of the homophobic actions of the Tulum Police, members of the LGBT community are raising their voices and are inviting people to a protest on Sunday, where there will be a ‘rain of kisses’ [which will take place] in front of City Hall,” according to a Facebook post.

From what I have heard, Tulum has become very much the place to be when vacationing in Mexico. I can imagine local businesses are fuming over such action by the police. This is not the publicity you want for your town. Especially when the gay crowd brings in a substantial amount of money and probably spends more per guest on average. Of course, socio conscious celebrities will stay away too. So in the bigger picture, the police, paid by tax money, did a huge disservice to their community. Because of a kiss. A kiss that very obviously no one was bothered by. 

5 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

From what I have heard, Tulum has become very much the place to be when vacationing in Mexico. I can imagine local businesses are fuming over such action by the police. This is not the publicity you want for your town. Especially when the gay crowd brings in a substantial amount of money and probably spends more per guest on average. Of course, socio conscious celebrities will stay away too. So in the bigger picture, the police, paid by tax money, did a huge disservice to their community. Because of a kiss. A kiss that very obviously no one was bothered by

Homophobes have this weird idea that just because THEY are bothered by gay kissing, that means everyone is. Right wing mentality is all about projection.