Hero cat dies saving kids from Australia’s ‘most dangerous’ snake

Camacho

@Jazzy Jan @San 

Hero cat dies saving kids from Australia’s ‘most dangerous’ snake

By Lee Brown

February 16, 2021 | 1:09pm

arthur-saved-children.jpg

Arthur the cat died protecting two children from an Eastern Brown Snake in Queensland, Australia. @AnimalEmergencyServiceHQ

A hero pet cat sacrificed the last of his nine lives to save his human siblings — dying as he fought one of Australia’s deadliest snakes to stop it from attacking them, according to an animal hospital.

“Heroes come in all shapes and sizes!” the Animal Emergency Service said in a Facebook post Sunday hailing the ultimate sacrifice made by Arthur in Queensland.

The “adorable domestic shorthair cat” had been playing with his family in their backyard when an Eastern Brown Snake “slithered right up to the young children,” the hospital said.

“Arthur jumped into action protecting his young family by killing the snake.”

In the chaos of protecting the two kids, nobody realized at first that Arthur had been bitten by the snake, which Australian Geographic lists as the country’s “most dangerous.”

Arthur collapsed but quickly recovered like nothing was wrong,” the vets said, noting that “collapse events like this [are] a common symptom of snake bites.”

He collapsed again the next day, and when rushed to the Animal Emergency Service’s hospital in Tanawha his “symptoms were too severe to recover.”

“It was with the heaviest of hearts his owners had to leave Arthur after he gained his angel wings,” the hospital said.

killer-snake.jpg

The Australian Brown snake that Arthur, a domestic shorthair family cat, killed in the process of saving 2 children in Queensland Australia. @AnimalEmergencyServiceHQ

“His family, understandably devastated, remember him fondly and are forever grateful he saved the children’s lives.”

The Eastern Brown Snake, or Pseudonaja Textilis, is largely “responsible for more deaths every year in Australia than any other group of snakes,” Australian Geographic said.

“If disturbed, the eastern brown raises its body off the ground, winding into an ‘S’ shape, mouth gaping open and ready to strike,” the outlet said.

“Its venom causes progressive paralysis and stops the blood from clotting, which may take many doses of antivenom to reverse. Victims may collapse within a few minutes.”

Oh no! Poor, brave baby :cries: That is so scary!

My dog would do the same...not to protect me, but to have a go :lol: She is always obsessively chasing lizards in the yard and killed a beautiful blue tongue lizard a couple of years ago...I was mortified!

RIP beautiful Arthur ❤️ 

1 hour ago, San said:

Oh no! Poor, brave baby :cries: That is so scary!

My dog would do the same...not to protect me, but to have a go :lol: She is always obsessively chasing lizards in the yard and killed a beautiful blue tongue lizard a couple of years ago...I was mortified!

RIP beautiful Arthur ❤️ 

San, I love lizards too. Hate snakes but love lizards. Beautiful Elke just protecting her property though. 

6 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

San, I love lizards too. Hate snakes but love lizards. Beautiful Elke just protecting her property though. 

It was so awful, I cried my eyes out. 

She's a bird dog, yet ignores birds :lol:

14 minutes ago, San said:

It was so awful, I cried my eyes out. 

She's a bird dog, yet ignores birds :lol:

That’s good 😀love birds. I have had birds accidentally fly into the kitchen and Bontempelli is chasing them with such excitement. He adores our budgies though. Goes up to their cage several times a day to check on them with his tail wagging. They are not scared of him and chatter away to him 😀

5 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

That’s good 😀love birds. I have had birds accidentally fly into the kitchen and Bontempelli is chasing them with such excitement. He adores our budgies though. Goes up to their cage several times a day to check on them with his tail wagging. They are not scared of him and chatter away to him 😀

That is so sweet! I love when we go for walks and the native miner birds all swoop at Elke to let her know she's not welcome. She couldn't care less! Occasionally, when there are Galahs grazing in the grass, Elke will run over to make them fly away, but never wants to get them.

1 minute ago, San said:

That is so sweet! I love when we go for walks and the native miner birds all swoop at Elke to let her know she's not welcome. She couldn't care less! Occasionally, when there are Galahs grazing in the grass, Elke will run over to make them fly away, but never wants to get them.

She is a sweetheart. Such a character too.