Australia takes on google and Facebook

Jazzy Jan

About time...

Last week I went to log in to my Facebook account for the first time in months and they'd disabled it, and this is what I got:

h7Kh60j.jpg

You want my driving license or passport, after Cambridge Analytica? 

45lfAxG.gif

@MadFan   How dare they ask for personal information 😡

Canada and Australia are on the exact same wavelength with Google and Facebook.  It is predicted if Australia wins it’s battle with the tech giants, Canada will be the next country to ask for local news content payment and then the floodgates will open. They way they make such massive huge profits worldwide and refuse to pay anything for the news content is arrogance, greed and far too much power.

I hear you Jazzy Jan. I really want the social media era to just END already...can we all delete these ridiculous apps. If we have to have it, how about as it was in 2007, as a tool to communicate, check occasionally, and then move on. Not scroll through endlessly at the dinner table. :fag:I hope the '10s were the peak and we can resume some normalcy because like my baby acko said, it's ruining the world.

Big tech are being so fraudulent in these debates, pretending they provide a 'free' service that they will withdraw if they have to comply with basic rules of fairness. What they avoid saying is that the real value of their businesses is that they collect every bit of information about us and sell it, and often without transparency about what and how. They make so much more money by providing their 'free' service than they would have to pay for content they us. Its all just about bullying, trying to set a precedent that they are beyond the control of national governments.

As an Australian, I disagree that this is a good move. The legislation basically demands that Google provides its algorothim information to Australian media companies (ie. Rupert Murdoch's Newscorp) which is something Google hasn't done for literally anyone. This is Australia's conservative government trying to strong arm tech companies in order to benefit their media friends. They did the same thing with our national internet service - gave us a second rate version so that people chose cable-based Foxtel (Murdoch again) over streaming based platforms.

11 hours ago, MadFan said:

About time...

Last week I went to log in to my Facebook account for the first time in months and they'd disabled it, and this is what I got:

h7Kh60j.jpg

45lfAxG.gif

I can't believe they are asking for personal ID? Who are they? the authority? 

First it was whatsapp that forces everyone to share their data with FB.

And now this?!?!?!!? :manson: 

1 hour ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

As an Australian, I disagree that this is a good move. The legislation basically demands that Google provides its algorothim information to Australian media companies (ie. Rupert Murdoch's Newscorp) which is something Google hasn't done for literally anyone. This is Australia's conservative government trying to strong arm tech companies in order to benefit their media friends. They did the same thing with our national internet service - gave us a second rate version so that people chose cable-based Foxtel (Murdoch again) over streaming based platforms.

I certainly hope other people have spoken up about this so it doesnt get lost in the anti fb/google storm.

3 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

I thought it was more about paying some money for news services which covers all media in Australia including the Age and ABC and commercial news channels. I hate Murdoch with a passion so not defending him. His papers and sky news don’t do much costly investigative journalism like the ABC and the Age do. 

@Bitch I'm Christian  Always love reading your posts. Been reading more into this action and see exactly what you mean.  While I do believe Giant tech companies have way too much power and don’t contribute hardly anything back, I don’t trust Scott Morrison or this current corrupt  party as far as I could throw them. Such agendas everywhere. 

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Bitch I'm Christian  Always love reading your posts. Been reading more into this action and see exactly what you mean.  While I do believe Giant tech companies have way too much power and don’t contribute hardly anything back, I don’t trust Scott Morrison or this current corrupt  party as far as I could throw them. Such agendas everywhere. 

Thanks @Jazzy Jan you are too kind and I really appreciate the welcoming vibe you throw out to people on here 😊

I definitely agree that tech companies have too much power too. I think algorithms are literally destroying man kind. "Oh so you like this crazy conspiracy theory, huh? Here's three more lined up to keep you engaged, with no opposing views..."

It's just that Scott Fucking Morrison is the last person I'd trust to solve the problem! 😆

20 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

I think this is a bit overreach. Yes, NewsCorp will benefit, because it controls the majority of the print media, but Fairfax and the Guardian Australia are also supportive. It is even supported by the Greens. And while NewsCorp does push certain agendas in the cities, much of their loss in revenue has resulted in regional papers closing, which is often the only source of local news in those areas. Also, Google wont have to hand over any algorithm information, the requirement is to notify the news content producers of changes in the algortithm that would significantly affect traffic for their news content, and where the change is for the purpose of affecting traffic for that news service.

22 minutes ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Thanks @Jazzy Jan you are too kind and I really appreciate the welcoming vibe you throw out to people on here 😊

I definitely agree that tech companies have too much power too. I think algorithms are literally destroying man kind. "Oh so you like this crazy conspiracy theory, huh? Here's three more lined up to keep you engaged, with no opposing views..."

It's just that Scott Fucking Morrison is the last person I'd trust to solve the problem! 😆

15 minutes ago, Paul said:

I think this is a bit overreach. Yes, NewsCorp will benefit, because it controls the majority of the print media, but Fairfax and the Guardian Australia are also supportive. It is even supported by the Greens. And while NewsCorp does push certain agendas in the cities, much of their loss in revenue has resulted in regional papers closing, which is often the only source of local news in those areas. Also, Google wont have to hand over any algorithm information, the requirement is to notify the news content producers of changes in the algortithm that would significantly affect traffic for their news content, and where the change is for the purpose of affecting traffic for that news service.

Agree with both of you in this issue as I think actually we are all on the same page.  The power that Facebook and Google have worldwide is terrifying and they destroy other legitimate news sources by never paying for content while making Billions themselves.

Just wish Scott Morrison and his government was not our leader in this inquiry because we know his history with crawling to Murdoch. I can’t even read Murdoch papers anymore without feeling sick. I used to have both the Herald Sun and the Age delivered but now only buy the Age. Often read the Hersld scum at work and the right wing Murdoch bias is putrid.  

1 hour ago, Paul said:

The Greens only started supporting it once they got the ABC and SBS added to the legislation - originally they were excluded, which says a lot about for whom the Morrison government is going in to bat for.

Isn't discussion of changes in the algorithm still essentially providing specific  information about the algorithm? That kind of stuff isn't generally public knowledge as far as I'm aware, giving a competitive advantage to just these few media companies. What happens with independent media companies like Crikey or The New Matilda? Why can't the (non news) company I work for get access to the same info if some other Australian companies are now going to get that advantage? Why can't we get paid when our website comes up in a Google search?

I agree that it was a shame that Newscorp felt they had no choice but to close their regional papers. It's even more important to properly fund the ABC now.

I guess I just find it strange that Google is expected to pay for the links coming up on their page that directs you to the news website. Like, wouldn't the equivalent be the newspaper paying me to post a classified ad? 

I get that traditional media companies are struggling, but I don't trust our government to get the intervention or solution right. I still see this as very much "help for the friends and donors of the conservatives" (with a few more companies begrudgingly added so that it passes the pub 'sniff test) in much the same way our government protects and assists fossil fuel companies.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:11 PM, MadFan said:

About time...

h7Kh60j.jpg

45lfAxG.gif

I got one of those too!! WTF? 

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Bretticus said:

A mess and terribly executed, but I do applaud Facebook for doing this, might put a bit of a dent in the Murdoch stranglehold in Australia's media.

I don’t applaud them at all. They have blocked ALL news and government sites, legitimate ones, not just Murdoch scum. They have also taken down government sites such as health direct which informs many Australians of Coronavirus news and restrictions, vaccine information etc. Plus police sites, domestic violence help lines, , suicide helplines etc. Plus fire services and weather information - Queensland is coming up to cyclone season.   A complete disregard to the health and information to Australians who use Facebook because Mark Zuckerberg won’t even negotiate as Google did. Oh and all the fake news, right wing crackpots and conspiracy theory news are still there.  In a global pandemic, this is disgusting . 

18 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I don’t applaud them at all. They have blocked ALL news and government sites, legitimate ones, not just Murdoch scum. They have also taken down government sites such as health direct which informs many Australians of Coronavirus news and restrictions, vaccine information etc. Plus police sites, domestic violence help lines, , suicide helplines etc. Plus fire services and weather information - Queensland is coming up to cyclone season.   A complete disregard to the health and information to Australians who use Facebook because Mark Zuckerberg won’t even negotiate as Google did. Oh and all the fake news, right wing crackpots and conspiracy theory news are still there.  In a global pandemic, this is disgusting . 

Yeah like I said poorly executed with all these non-news blocks, but I am glad they called this horrific govts bluff, being in bed with all the major news outlets in Australia and all. I am sure they will fix the issues with the blocking of other non-news outlets ASAP.

10 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I love to see how the conspiracy theorists are coping now they can no longer go rant about their absurd theories on the comments section hehe 

they must be so mad pulling their hair 

On 2/18/2021 at 10:06 AM, Bretticus said:

A mess and terribly executed, but I do applaud Facebook for doing this, might put a bit of a dent in the Murdoch stranglehold in Australia's media.

Do I think Facebook and Google need to be taxed properly? Hell yes.

Do I think Facebook and Google need to monitor for hate speech and radicalisation better? Absolutely.

Do I think our government should demand private businesses to provide a service and to also pay for that supposed privilege? No way.

If the government's argument holds up, Facebook needs this newspaper content much more than the other way around. I don't think that's true, however, and neither does Facebook apparently.

Thanks to our incredibly weak opposition, Australia's government is not used to being told no or having its position questioned.

I think the guy in this video has it spot on.

1 hour ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Do I think Facebook and Google need to be taxed properly? Hell yes.

Do I think Facebook and Google need to monitor for hate speech and radicalisation better? Absolutely.

Do I think our government should demand private businesses to provide a service and to also pay for that supposed privilege? No way.

If the government's argument holds up, Facebook needs this newspaper content much more than the other way around. I don't think that's true, however, and neither does Facebook apparently.

Thanks to our incredibly weak opposition, Australia's government is not used to being told no or having its position questioned.

I think the guy in this video has it spot on.

Agree 100% with everything you said, it's laughable how arrogant our govt are being and how the media companies affected are calling Facebook the bullies and that they "threw a tantrum" :lol:

Facebook Ends Australia News Blackout After Media Law Compromise

Angus Whitley, updated 16 minutes ago

Facebook Inc. will end its news blackout in Australia after the government agreed to amend world-first legislation forcing the tech giant and Google to pay local publishers for content.

The social-media platform switched off news sharing in the nation last week in opposition to the proposed law, and Mark Zuckerberg and government officials have been locked in talks to find a compromise.

Among key concessions, the government said Tuesday it would take into account commercial deals Google and Facebook reach with news companies before deciding whether they are subject to the law, and would also give them one month’s notice. The platforms also won more time to reach deals with media publishers before they’re forced into final-offer arbitration.

The legislation, which is expected to pass parliament this week, has made Australia a testing ground for digital-platform regulation as jurisdictions worldwide rein in the Silicon Valley juggernauts.

“There is no doubt that Australia has been a proxy battle for the world,” Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said. “I have no doubt that so many other countries are looking at what is happening here in Australia.”

Facebook said the restrictions on sharing news will be lifted “in the coming days.”

“We are satisfied that the Australian government has agreed to a number of changes and guarantees that address our core concerns,” William Easton, managing director for Facebook Australia & New Zealand, said in a statement.

In blocking news sharing, Facebook switched off the main news source for almost one in five Australians. It also disabled -- accidentally, the company said -- a raft of government Facebook pages carrying public health advice on the coronavirus, warnings from the weather bureau and even the site of a children’s hospital.

“It seems very sensible of Facebook to retreat as this could have potentially been very damaging to its brand,” said Nicole Bridges, a lecturer in public relations at Western Sydney University.

While Bridges said Tuesday’s deal seemed a face-saving exercise for both the Australian government and Facebook, other nations would look at the company’s actions and could judge that their ability to pass similar legislation may have been strengthened.

On 2/23/2021 at 2:32 PM, Junior said:

Facebook Ends Australia News Blackout After Media Law Compromise

Angus Whitley, updated 16 minutes ago

Facebook Inc. will end its news blackout in Australia after the government agreed to amend world-first legislation forcing the tech giant and Google to pay local publishers for content.

The social-media platform switched off news sharing in the nation last week in opposition to the proposed law, and Mark Zuckerberg and government officials have been locked in talks to find a compromise.

Among key concessions, the government said Tuesday it would take into account commercial deals Google and Facebook reach with news companies before deciding whether they are subject to the law, and would also give them one month’s notice. The platforms also won more time to reach deals with media publishers before they’re forced into final-offer arbitration.

The legislation, which is expected to pass parliament this week, has made Australia a testing ground for digital-platform regulation as jurisdictions worldwide rein in the Silicon Valley juggernauts.

“There is no doubt that Australia has been a proxy battle for the world,” Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said. “I have no doubt that so many other countries are looking at what is happening here in Australia.”

Facebook said the restrictions on sharing news will be lifted “in the coming days.”

“We are satisfied that the Australian government has agreed to a number of changes and guarantees that address our core concerns,” William Easton, managing director for Facebook Australia & New Zealand, said in a statement.

In blocking news sharing, Facebook switched off the main news source for almost one in five Australians. It also disabled -- accidentally, the company said -- a raft of government Facebook pages carrying public health advice on the coronavirus, warnings from the weather bureau and even the site of a children’s hospital.

“It seems very sensible of Facebook to retreat as this could have potentially been very damaging to its brand,” said Nicole Bridges, a lecturer in public relations at Western Sydney University.

While Bridges said Tuesday’s deal seemed a face-saving exercise for both the Australian government and Facebook, other nations would look at the company’s actions and could judge that their ability to pass similar legislation may have been strengthened.

Booooo I finally liked not having news shoved in my face on FB feed. Was nice not having to read the conspiracy theories or non sense click bait news for once. Oh well, the good times always have to come to an end.

20 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

I love their parody videos. 

Hate how this has ended. I still agree that Facebook should pay taxes and have far too much power worldwide.  Their conduct and lack of care over the years has been abysmal and run by greed. The way they took down ALL government sites including health, charity and information sites was dreadful and arrogant too. Really showed their lack of social conscience. 

However, the final outcome has not achieved anything. Only big media companies are winners, it should have been beneficial to all media groups. A tax that went into helping investigate journalism as that costs so much. So tired of big tech business and corrupt right wing media always being winners.  I hate Murdoch media so much.  Opportunity lost completely by our government.