2020 U.S. Election: Congratulations Biden and Harris!

Camacho

With COVID-19 this year there was a much, much higher volume of mail in votes. For months Democrats encouraged voters to vote by mail.  Trump whined about voter mail fraud and encouraged his followers to vote in person instead.

36 minutes ago, Msig said:

Some states accept ballots received after election day, as long as they are post stamped no later than 3 November.

The left votes in Pennsylvania are NOT mail in ballots. Its provisional votes and there is speculation they could be leaning Republican thats why no news channel wants to call the state for Biden yet.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-biden-election-results-11-07-20/h_8b217ed2de18fdd2191fed7ae8ab29ff

Vote-counting continues today. Here's a glossary of terms you might hear throughout the day.

As the count continues – and narrows in key states – election officials are starting to throw around technical terms most voters don’t usually hear. 

Here’s a quick glossary:

• Absentee ballots: Traditionally, voters who could not get to a polling place for Election Day have been allowed to request early ballots, which were usually returned by mail. Today, the term can effectively be used interchangeably with mail-in ballots. Read CNN’s fact check here
  • Adjudication: Some ballots receive extra scrutiny in a process known as ballot adjudication. Though the intricacies of the process vary state by state, it typically involves a small panel of people reviewing a ballot to determine either the voter's intent or whether the ballot can be counted at all based on whether the voter was eligible to cast it. Read more here.
  • Curing: When a signature is missing or doesn't match the one on file, or there is another issue with how the voter completed the ballot, some states require officials to contact the voter so they can correct the mistake, a process known as "curing." Read more here.
  • Late-arriving ballots: Some states accept mail-in ballots that are delivered back to officials within a set window after Election Day, as long as they were postmarked by the election. Those ballots are legal to count as long as they arrive by each state’s deadline. See which states count postmarked ballots here.
  • Mail-in ballots. This is a blanket term for any ballot mailed to voters, though the completed forms can be returned by mail, to a dropbox or in person to officials or polling places. In three critical states – Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin – officials weren’t able to start processing any of these ballots until Election Day, which led to huge backlogs and slowed down the count. See when states started counting here.
  • Military ballots: In every election, a lot of votes come in late -- legally -- from Americans who are overseas or located outside their states of residence, including significant numbers of military service members and their families. Read more here.
  • Provisional ballots: Provisional ballots are cast when there's a question about a voter's eligibility, and are specially held for counting until officials are certain the vote should be accepted. Officials are required to allow anyone to cast a provisional ballot under the The Help America Vote Act of 2002,  and generally these ballots are kept separate from all other ballots while they are investigated by election officials and so are counted last. Read more here.

That is such a weird system.......

In Canada, federal elections are ruled by federal laws, while provincial elections are ruled by provincial laws. It means that for federal elections every province must apply the same rules and the same system. 

I don't understand why in USA, every state can decide how they manage the vote. Seems very special to me. 

5 minutes ago, elijah said:

The left votes in Pennsylvania are NOT mail in ballots. Its provisional votes and there is speculation they could be leaning Republican thats why no news channel wants to call the state for Biden yet.

News are reporting Pensnsyvania counting will be ready tonight and Biden will win. How strange if there are still 100000 votes left.

Just now, runa said:

That is such a weird system.......

In Canada, federal elections are ruled by federal laws, while provincial elections are ruled by provincial laws. It means that for federal elections every province must apply the same rules and the same system. 

I don't understand why in USA, every state can decide how they manage the vote. Seems very special to me. 

In Denmark, all elections are governed by national laws.

All citizens are automatically registered for general elections, and all permanent residents are automatically registered for local and regional elections.

Mail-in votes are not allowed; you can only vote in person whether you vote early or on election day.

I made a spreadsheet to do the math on the remaining states based on current vote totals and estimated outstanding votes

In order to take Arizona, Trump would need to win 68% of the remaining votes. He currently has been winning 48.7%

Georgia: Trump needs to win 66% of the remaining votes. He currently has been winning 49.3%

Nevada: Trump needs to win 73% of the remaining votes. He currently has been winning 48.0%

Pennsylvania: Trump needs to win 61% of the remaining votes. He currently has been winning 49.1%

While mathematically possibly, it is highly unlikely he can come back based on the voting trends. They should just call the election at this point. 

3 minutes ago, DeMo said:

I made a spreadsheet to do the math on the remaining states based on current vote totals and estimated outstanding votes

In order to take Arizona, Trump would need to win 68% of the remaining votes. He currently has been winning 48.7%

Georgia: Trump needs to win 66% of the remaining votes. He currently has been winning 49.3%

Nevada: Trump needs to win 73% of the remaining votes. He currently has been winning 48.0%

Pennsylvania: Trump needs to win 61% of the remaining votes. He currently has been winning 49.1%

While mathematically possibly, it is highly unlikely he can come back based on the voting trends. They should just call the election at this point. 

Thank you! I don’t know how correct you are but fingers crossed that Trump can’t turn it. This is so exhausting, smh. 

28 minutes ago, DeMo said:

🤞🤞🤞

2 hours ago, Lolo said:

As someone observing from the outside I’m very confused about how they managed to count like two thirds of the votes in the first 24 hours and now the rest is dragging for so many days??? Why is that? I know it’s Mail, but still...

I was watching the news last night and it’s super confusing, but there are a bunch of different things going on. 

For example, if someone goes crazy and marks Biden but then crosses it out and marks Trump, a representative of each party has to sit down together and decide if it’s a Vote for Trump or Biden.

There was another situation where people decided to switch parties at the last minute and there’s this whole long process for confirming their identity. I was half asleep so I didn’t get all the detailed but I think a lot of the left over votes are all of y he confusing ones that require a lot of time. 

I wonder if the delay will hurt or actually help in terms of potential backlash from the deranged MAGA crowd. Could giving everyone a few days to get used to the idea of a Trump loss actually stem the tide and limit the toll of some people's knee-jerk reactions? Wishful thinking?

47 minutes ago, DeMo said:

As even adding up Rebel Heart demos is a big challenge over here, I certainly won't be fact-checking your work, but this looks wonderful! Thank you.

48 minutes ago, pithy said:

I wonder if the delay will hurt or actually help in terms of potential backlash from the deranged MAGA crowd. Could giving everyone a few days to get used to the idea of a Trump loss actually stem the tide and limit the toll of some people's knee-jerk reactions? Wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking. They’ll be pissed off no matter what. Even if Trump wins, they’re convinced the election process is rigged against them 🤮 

Georgia (99%) - 16 Electoral Votes
Biden - 2,461,455 (49.5%) +4,610 (+1%)
Trump - 2,454,207 (49.3%) +1,382
Difference - 7,248 (+3,228)

Arizona (90%)- 11 Electoral Votes
Biden - 1,606,526 (49.6%) +2,459 (-1%)
Trump - 1,578,563 (48.8%) +4,357 
Difference - 27,963 (-1,898)

Biden is slowing down in AZ.

I'm just going to drink that champagne in the fridge, celebrate and live in my own fantasy like Valentina. It's literally impossible for Trump to catch up at this point. 

Stupid piece of shit orange racist slob asshole. I HATE HIM SO MUCH  

8 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

I'm just going to drink that champagne in the fridge, celebrate and live in my own fantasy like Valentina. It's literally impossible for Trump to catch up at this point. 

Stupid piece of shit orange racist slob asshole. I HATE HIM SO MUCH  

My bottle has been waiting in the fridge since Tuesday. I'm waiting for the moment when CNN officially announces that 270 has been reached. like i said before: i have never hated someone so much in my life.

1 minute ago, Martin B. said:

My bottle has been waiting in the fridge since Tuesday. I'm waiting for the moment when CNN officially announces that 270 has been reached. like i said before: i have never hated someone so much in my life.

Do you think Trudeau will let us back into Canada now that the tragedy that is Trump is almost behind us? :inlove: 

2 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

Do you think Trudeau will let us back into Canada now that the tragedy that is Trump is almost behind us? :inlove: 

Since your new president will take steps to control the epidemic rather than allowing it to progress exponentially, there is a better chance that the borders will be reopened during the winter.

3 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

Oh GOOD, he's planning to visit me. xo

2 hours ago, DeMo said:

Update from latest Arizona numbers: Trump needs to win more than 67.8% of the remaining votes(down from 68.1%). NBC News website estimates there are only 115,398 ballots left to count so Trump would need 78,272 of those just to tie.