Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Madame X one year anniversary thread!


Recommended Posts

An album that I really liked at first and upon more and more listenings and then the most wonderful live performances, is in my top 5 if not top 3 albums, it is a sophisticated and mature album, that works best as a complete work, not just a bunch of great songs. Such a diverse range of styles, profound lyrics, wonderful instrumentation and finally Madonna is not chasing trends, but frankly is ahead of the pack. Love Madame X and cant wait to see what we get next from our Queen.

Edited by BeautifulBicycle
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shaun I did forget that one. 😁 Maybe I should listen to it again. Though I recall not being all that into it when I first heard it. "Medellin" is pretty good, though the album's other Maluma collabo is not a favorite of mine.

@Suedehead There haven't been any reports of worldwide sales in some time. Back in the fall, it was reported as 485,000 (which may have been a tad underestimated), and someone had estimated 493,000 ~ mid-January. So, has it crossed 500K by now? Would say it's a good possibility, though some concrete info would be nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still holds up incredibly. God Control, I Don't Search I Find, Ciao Bella, Crazy, and Faz Gostoso amongst others still SLAP! 😍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a really enjoyable listen after one year, when i'm not listening entirely to it i put at least a song from it on spotify every day!

I can't believe it was so underrated, i can accept it from GP that have very disposable tastes nowadays but not by critics who are always praising every popstars and their cheap releases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 5:16 AM, Crystal Coffin said:

I love the fact that despite Activist-Donna is all over the album, it doesn't feel preachy AT ALL - it's still Madonna the edgy pop songstress that we love through and through. 

I agree with that. I think the reason it doesn't become so preachy is because she 's being incredibly introspective and authentic while being outward looking. I mean Future for example is basically stating facts of life over a casual reggae beat, "not everyone is coming to the future, not everyone is learning from the past" indeed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stevenflowers said:

Still a really enjoyable listen after one year, when i'm not listening entirely to it i put at least a song from it on spotify every day!

I can't believe it was so underrated, i can accept it from GP that have very disposable tastes nowadays but not by critics who are always praising every popstars and their cheap releases.

I recalled that Madame X got some pretty good reviews from critics, so I went back to check (thanks google!), your are right, most of the were downright awful! though at the time, I think I might have got them confused with the tour reviews, which were pretty good if I remember.

Still, I love it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually grew to enjoy MX more as time went by.

In my opinion the entire era turned out great (beside the Cancelations snd very late start times).

I also wish more fans had the opportunity to see MX in person.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite 10's album. And I just realized that I still listen to it weekly. Never happened since Hard Candy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still do listen, almost everyday, if not the whole album at leats the sequence Killers - Extreme O that I feel like the center of the concept.

Still listeneable for those who likes when a story is told, not just disconnected singles as the way music is consumed now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 11:57 AM, BeautifulBicycle said:

An album that I really liked at first and upon more and more listenings and then the most wonderful live performances, is in my top 5 if not top 3 albums, it is a sophisticated and mature album, that works best as a complete work, not just a bunch of great songs. Such a diverse range of styles, profound lyrics, wonderful instrumentation and finally Madonna is not chasing trends, but frankly is ahead of the pack. Love Madame X and cant wait to see what we get next from our Queen.

Agree with this. She still manages to surprise after all these years.  Madame X is a great record.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciated it without really loving it last year. But it is aging VERY well and sounds much better in 2020, particularly the ominous warnings in Dark Ballet, Future and Killers Who Are Partying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 2:03 PM, BeautifulBicycle said:

I recalled that Madame X got some pretty good reviews from critics, so I went back to check (thanks google!), your are right, most of the were downright awful! though at the time, I think I might have got them confused with the tour reviews, which were pretty good if I remember.

Still, I love it.

Still, many reviews applauded that Madonna got her mojo back with this album while calling it bizarre

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 6:37 PM, horn said:

It's been sealed for a year

113788792696.jpg

It's still ugly though, It looks better in BLACK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, acko said:

It's still ugly though, It looks better in BLACK.

:thumbsup:

 

My Madame X vinyl rankings: 

1. Black
2. Clear
3. Rainbow ('X' side)
4. Blue
5. Rainbow ('rainbow' side)


@horn what do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't really judge the blue vinyl when it's placed on top of the black insert 'cos the black made the blue looks "dirty".

1. Blue but it looks more like turquoise... it could be due to the camera issue.

R-13775134-1575494717-5493.jpeg.jpg

2. Clear LP

3. Black LP

4. Rainbow LP (no matter WHICH side :chuckle: )

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I love this album more 1 year later and I loved it when it first came out. It still sounds so fresh and new to me, the era doesn't feel over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

still a huge meh for me. hardly ever listen to it, probably my least listened to album. fingers crossed for the next one 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I adore her, but I love the album less now than I did when it was new.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I like Madame X more now than I did a year ago. I wasn't crazy about it then but lately I've been listeninjg to it quite a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
×
×
  • Create New...