George Floyd and BLM discussion

Guest jamesshot
1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

Fair enough. But no one's really talking about Covid-19 that much either. And cases are now surging once again.

Nope, not since the 1% told us to get back to work that the virus is a nothing burger. Trump doesn't want small businesses or workers to get govt money until we had a true, adequate lockdown. So of course those workers and small businesses are desperate to get back to work. All by design. Instead of just giving them money to live on they would rather put their lives on the line for big business and billionaires. Nobody acts like the virus is a thing now. Why? We started reopening and the message from Trump is it is over. You're a pussy if you social distance or wear a mask. Some dumbass Republican was on TV a few weeks ago saying businesses would never put their employees or customers in jeopardy (what a fucking joke) so let them reopen if they want. Right when the GOP Supreme Court struck down Wisconsin's lockdown orders BAM bars were packed to the roof. No masks. Nothing. 

25 minutes ago, jamesshot said:

Nope, not since the 1% told us to get back to work that the virus is a nothing burger. Trump doesn't want small businesses or workers to get govt money until we had a true, adequate lockdown. So of course those workers and small businesses are desperate to get back to work. All by design. Instead of just giving them money to live on they would rather put their lives on the line for big business and billionaires. Nobody acts like the virus is a thing now. Why? We started reopening and the message from Trump is it is over. You're a pussy if you social distance or wear a mask. Some dumbass Republican was on TV a few weeks ago saying businesses would never put their employees or customers in jeopardy (what a fucking joke) so let them reopen if they want. Right when the GOP Supreme Court struck down Wisconsin's lockdown orders BAM bars were packed to the roof. No masks. Nothing. 

Yep. Don't even get me started...:censored:

Guest jamesshot
24 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Yep. Don't even get me started...:censored:

The lockdown worked too well. Nobody experienced what it could have been like in Italy, Spain and NYC. Our economy would have been wrecked either way. This virus was going to do major disruption and the fact we stopped it in time allowed us to reopen slowly which OF COURSE  everybody took for a free for all egged on by the worst President ever by far.

Has anyone read the putrid conspiracy theories about this ? All from the same group who worship Trump. Because I work with people that are hard core conspiracy theorists, have been sent their version of truth 🙄 they believe George Floyd and the policeman who killed him are trained crisis actors who put it all on so that they can rubbish Trump and cost him the election. They say that the black people protesting are mainly elites who want Trump out of office and covid does not exist. They hate all media and adore Trump. 

Pathetic people that call everyone else “ sheep” and are now saying race discrimination does not exist, never has and all has been staged for years. They are truly insane. 

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Has anyone read the putrid conspiracy theories about this ? All from the same group who worship Trump. Because I work with people that are hard core conspiracy theorists, have been sent their version of truth 🙄 they believe George Floyd and the policeman who killed him are trained crisis actors who put it all on so that they can rubbish Trump and cost him the election. They say that the black people protesting are mainly elites who want Trump out of office and covid does not exist. They hate all media and adore Trump. 

Pathetic people that call everyone else “ sheep” and are now saying race discrimination does not exist, never has and all has been staged for years. They are truly insane. 

Good grief. That's really shocking. Remember the Pulse nightclub shootings? Some American sources said they were actors too. It's depressing what people will say but I don't think they believe it anymore than we do. They just don't care and want an excuse not to.  

We recently had people burn down 5g masts because a rumour went round it spread covid. I don't think people really believe it, they just want an excuse to be angry about something.

I don't think things will change until social media outlets are made responsible for the content published on their platforms. Currently, they're not considered publishers but I think that's incorrect.

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

It's so hard to be around people like that, Jazzy Jan. My mental mantra in those situations is "Thank you for showing me who you are." Now you are free from ever having to bend over backwards to help them at work, giving a shit about their birthday, having to politely sit with them on your lunchbreak, etc.

9 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

:doh:It's amazing how the lack of education, scientific knowledge and critical judgment may have created this era where people believe theories that are all more ridiculous than the next. 

3 hours ago, Martin B. said:

:doh:It's amazing how the lack of education, scientific knowledge and critical judgment may have created this era where people believe theories that are all more ridiculous than the next. 

Thanks to social media, mainly. 
And to Trump & co, who demonize, diminish and downgrade the real medias. 

BREAKING NEWS: Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin will be charged with second-degree murder in George Floyd's death, three others face charges, according to Sen. Amy Klobuchar. 

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/06/03/derek-chauvins-murder-charge-will-now-be-2nd-degree-3-other-ex-mpd-officers-also-face-charges/

10 minutes ago, Junior said:

BREAKING NEWS: Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin will be charged with second-degree murder in George Floyd's death, three others face charges, according to Sen. Amy Klobuchar. 

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/06/03/derek-chauvins-murder-charge-will-now-be-2nd-degree-3-other-ex-mpd-officers-also-face-charges/

My mom & I are on the phone now, awaiting the news.

NBCNEWS

3 more Minneapolis officers charged in George Floyd death, Derek Chauvin charges elevated 

The three former officers are charged with aiding and abetting murder. The fourth, who placed his knee on Floyd’s neck for over eight minutes, now faces a second-degree murder charge.

June 3, 2020, 3:25 PM EDT / Updated June 3, 2020, 4:29 PM EDT

By Doha Madani

Three more former Minneapolis police officers were charged Wednesday in the death of George Floyd, five days after charges were brought against a fourth officer who was seen in a video kneeling on Floyd’s neck.

The three former officers, Tou Thao, Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng, were charged with aiding and abetting murder, according to criminal complaints filed by the state of Minnesota. The murder charge against the fourth, Derek Chauvin, was also elevated to second-degree, from third-degree.

Chauvin, who held his knee on Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes while detaining him on May 25, was also initially charged Friday with manslaughter by the Hennepin County prosecutor.

All four officers were fired on May 26, after a video showing Floyd's arrest went viral.

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, who has been appointed to lead the prosecution in the case, said in an MSNBC interview Mondaythat he intended to charge the officers with the ”highest degree of accountability that the law and the facts will support."

The Minnesota Fraternal Order of Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the elevated murder charge against Chauvin or the charges filed against the other three officers Wednesday. It was not immediately clear if the officers had lawyers.

Multiple videos have been released on Floyd’s arrest, with one showing him pinned down by three different officers near a patrol car while a fourth stands near his head.

"Please, please, please, I can't breathe," Floyd begged in one video caught by a bystander. "My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Please, please. I can't breathe."

He died while in custody that day.

Lane and Kueng were the first officers to arrive at scene that night, as they investigated a report that a possible counterfeit $20 bill had been passed at the Cup Foods grocery store, according to the complaint against Chauvin. When Lane found Floyd parked nearby, the officer pulled his gun, had Floyd get out of his car and handcuffed him, the complaint said.

A cuffed Floyd was eventually put face-down on the pavement with Kueng holding down his back and Lane pressing down his legs, the charging document against Chauvin said. While a distressed Floyd said “I can’t breathe,” “Mama” and “please” several times, Lane asked, “Should we roll him on his side?” according to prosecutors.

“No, staying put where we got him,” Chauvin responded, according to the complaint. “I am worried about excited delirium or whatever,” Lane allegedly said. “That’s why we have him on his stomach,” Chauvin responded, according to the complaint.

Several minutes later, Kueng checked Floyd’s right wrist for a pulse and allegedly said, “I couldn’t find one.”

The official autopsy from the Hennepin County medical examiner listed Floyd's cause of death as a "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression."

The medical examiner ruled that Floyd's death was a homicide but added that he had "significant" underlying conditions, including hypertensive heart disease, fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use.

But an examination funded by Floyd’s familyreached a somewhat different conclusion. It found that police officers' pressing on his neck and body cut blood and air flow to his brain, causing him to die by mechanical asphyxia, pathologists hired by the family said.

The autopsy paid for by the family also found that Floyd had no other medical conditions that contributed to his death.

Benjamin Crump, the attorney representing Floyd’s family, on Wednesday released a statement on behalf of the family: "This is a bittersweet moment. We are deeply gratified that Attorney General Keith Ellison took decisive action, arresting and charging all the officers involved in George Floyd's death and upgrading the charge against Derek Chauvin to felony second-degree murder."

He added that the decision to charge all four officers before Floyd's body was buried was gratifying and a source of peace for the family. The funeral is scheduled for Tuesday in Houston, Floyd's hometown.

"These officers knew they could act with impunity, given the Minneapolis Police Department's widespread and prolonged pattern and practice of violating people's constitutional rights," Crump added.

Crump said on the “TODAY” show Tuesday that he expected the charges to be filed against the other three officers and that the family's autopsy report was significant because it “pays particular attention to the two knees at the back compressing his lungs.”

Since the beginning of 2015, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department have rendered people unconscious with neck restraints 44 times, according to an NBC News analysis of police records. Several police experts told NBC News that number appears to be unusually high.

The Minnesota Department of Human Rights on Tuesday filed a civil rights charge against the Minneapolis Police Department to launch an investigation. The probe will look at the department’s policies, procedures and practices over the past 10 years to determine if it engaged in systemic discriminatory practices, Gov. Tim Walz said.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:03 AM, runa said:

You forgot Oprah on your list. 😉

I know that Gayle King has talked about "if Oprah ran", but I honestly don't think Oprah would do it.  While Oprah would be tons better than the zero experience Trump from 2016, I just think we have so many accomplished women in politics who would be better.  That's why I left her off the list.  While Michelle Obama hasn't held a political office, she has lived the life with her husband.  She is experienced in politics in my opinion.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:50 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

I've not heard the George Floyd's conspiracy theory but some friends in UK told me that covid-19 was a conspiracy that was cooked up by China to try and get into our data/ personal infos  .

Also that Italy had wanted to get rid of their senior citizens for years so they wouldn't have to pay for pensions , healthcare etc so they didn't try to stop the spread of the virus 😑

I couldn't believe my ears . It was bat-shit crazy .

And these people will have combat answers for your every questions /arguments .