Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

'God Control' should have been the first single from Madame X


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, rebelheart said:

Maluma wasn't used to get a hit, he hasn't even had a hit song himself in the US or Europe. They worked together because he suited the Latin vibe of both Medellin & Loca & they had great chemistry together. It was M's vision, not the record label. 

to be used is too hard, I mean.. but there is nothing wrong with a duet with him, he is huge around the world minus US, look for his videos all over 900 M and he always tour in big arenas in Europe,  to be honest I don't have a problem is she wants to work with current stars like him or Anita or Swae Lee, why not? I want her to still going to no.1, cause her music still amazing. My point was that if the track would have been produced by a "current" hit maker, it could have been bigger than it was.. if it was only for the artistry I prefer her to work with someone like Bjork so then it won't matter if it peak the charts or not.

 In the end it helped more to his career, now he is most recognized in the US than before...so M is still helping new talent, she is always very supportive.

 

Edited by dario
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madame X didn’t have any commercial potential in terms of the charts. Crave is the only song that could if radio still played her have the ability to break through... (and she didn’t even promote that anywhere except the music video !)

...Madonna turned her back on playing by the rules after she went out and worked the hell out of Rebel Heart and it just sank everywhere. So she made an experimental album without thinking about singles or commercial potential because she knows as we all do she doesn’t compete in the charts anymore.

God Control is by far one of the best and most interesting track on the album. I believe as many do it was front runner for lead single as the video was shot first but it was changed for whatever reason, I suspect because the Latin flavour of the album is stronger than the disco/dance so the Latin flavour track got picked to launch the project.

I do agree that GC would of been perfect for Eurovision but an edited version. I think Madonna did what she wanted with her last release under LN/Universal without considering the game and indulged herself in artistry over sales which is why we have an extreamly diverse and cutting edge pop album.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 8:50 AM, rebelheart said:

Maluma wasn't used to get a hit, he hasn't even had a hit song himself in the US or Europe. They worked together because he suited the Latin vibe of both Medellin & Loca & they had great chemistry together. It was M's vision, not the record label. 

Good said

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 7:50 AM, rebelheart said:

Maluma wasn't used to get a hit, he hasn't even had a hit song himself in the US or Europe. They worked together because he suited the Latin vibe of both Medellin & Loca & they had great chemistry together. It was M's vision, not the record label. 

Hmmm that’s the official story.

But Maluma is hardly an unknown. He has a massive online profile with over a billion hits on YouTube. He is absolutley massive in the Latin markets.

Whilst I agree he is not popular in America/Europe, no doubt Madonna and her team thought he would bring with him his online magic as he has done when he has collaborated with other artists.

I think the plan was to try and get her on the streaming/YouTube platform as radio is a non-starter.

Yes she admires Him and yes the album is a love letter to all things Latin, but he was chosen for his popularity online.

I remember loads of fans in here were convinced she was going to have an absolute smash in the Latin charts when it was announced M was working with both Maluma and Anitta. And it’s easy to see why everybody thought that as his videos online have massive viewing figures.

So there was certainly some strategy at play here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^ And yet ... then she didn’t film a video for Faz Gostoso, and she didn’t even have any tour dates in South America to build on the momentum.

And was Medellín even serviced to radio in those markets? I know you’re talking about streaming (Faz was a moderately popular track for streaming, yes?) ... but clearly there would have been some low-key success on radio just from the featuring players alone. 

The term “single” in reference to Madame X release strategy has never been more confusing. In the past a “single” would have received most of the treatment below (with the exception of a late single — probably wouldn’t be available to download as a preview track). With Madame X, she filmed videos (thankfully!) for songs that were not singles, and yet she didn’t really support the actual singles with the full arsenal.

Music video?

Serviced to radio stations?

Track downloadable prior to album release?

Remixes commissioned?

Remixes available to stream?

Remixes released to consumers via digital platforms for purchase?

Remixes sent to DJs for club play?

Featured in a promo performance?

(Then again, I guess it’s true that it happened plenty of times before that she didn’t film a promo video for every single. So. Maybe I shouldn’t find it so confusing.)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Confessit said:

Hmmm that’s the official story.

But Maluma is hardly an unknown. He has a massive online profile with over a billion hits on YouTube. He is absolutley massive in the Latin markets.

Whilst I agree he is not popular in America/Europe, no doubt Madonna and her team thought he would bring with him his online magic as he has done when he has collaborated with other artists.

I think the plan was to try and get her on the streaming/YouTube platform as radio is a non-starter.

Yes she admires Him and yes the album is a love letter to all things Latin, but he was chosen for his popularity online.

I remember loads of fans in here were convinced she was going to have an absolute smash in the Latin charts when it was announced M was working with both Maluma and Anitta. And it’s easy to see why everybody thought that as his videos online have massive viewing figures.

So there was certainly some strategy at play here.

agree with everything you said ..but Maluma is big in Europe too, he tours at big arenas there..look his Instagram he tours around the world..a week before they released Medellin, he released another collab. with Becky G...and it had more than 300 M till date..but that song is very commercial..I think Medellin was not supported on radio, the video is a little dark .... and GP prefer easy music ...like La Respuesta which is very basic..Medellin is so much better than anything Maluma has ever done.

Edited by dario
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, peter said:

^ And yet ... then she didn’t film a video for Faz Gostoso, and she didn’t even have any tour dates in South America to build on the momentum.

And was Medellín even serviced to radio in those markets? I know you’re talking about streaming (Faz was a moderately popular track for streaming, yes?) ... but clearly there would have been some low-key success on radio just from the featuring players alone. 

 

 

Since she left Warner does she ever has a radio hit? .. I don't think Live Nation has done anything about radio deals maybe Interscope who knows!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dario said:

Since she left Warner does she ever has a radio hit? .. I don't think Live Nation has done anything about radio deals maybe Interscope who knows!

Yes, GMAYL was a top 40 in the US ... not sure which markets you’re talking about, but there was a deal for that song to be played hourly on the weekend of its release because of the Super Bowl. So, it made sense — while the idea of “payola” for her to have a hit is kinda repulsive to me, I can accept it in that instance, because it was an event weekend and it made sense for people to hear that song before the performance. The idea is less offensive to me, I guess, because most media in the US do a lot of stories related to the Super Bowl during that week, so ... it made sense for radio to be playing her a lot and talking about how she would be performing, etc. Feels organic to me, not forced/fake. 

But, yes, that was her last radio hit in the US to my knowledge, and it was after she left Warner. Since then, it’s only gone down. Clearly the Warner machine knew how to help her on radio all over the world, and she completely lost that support network, sadly. On the other hand, with the edicts that happened from, say Radio 1 in the UK, it became clear age was going to be an insurmountable obstacle for her, anyway, so ... not sure if it would have mattered or not.

Edited by peter
edited to correct “top 40” (I’d mistakenly said “top 10”)
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peter said:

Yes, GMAYL was a top 10 in the US ... not sure which markets you’re talking about, but there was a deal for that song to be played hourly on the weekend of its release because of the Super Bowl. So, it made sense — while the idea of “payola” for her to have a hit is kinda repulsive to me, I can accept it in that instance, because it was an event weekend and it made sense for people to hear that song before the performance. The idea is less offensive to me, I guess, because most media in the US do a lot of stories related to the Super Bowl during that week, so ... it made sense for radio to be playing her a lot and talking about how she would be performing, etc. Feels organic to me, not forced/fake. 

But, yes, that was her last radio hit in the US to my knowledge, and it was after she left Warner. Since then, it’s only gone down. Clearly the Warner machine knew how to help her on radio all over the world, and she completely lost that support network, sadly. On the other hand, with the edicts that happened from, say Radio 1 in the UK, it became clear age was going to be an insurmountable obstacle for her, anyway, so ... not sure if it would have mattered or not.

well in the US, GMAYL was not really a radio hit, which is what I think he was asking about, the single got to #28 on BB's Radio songs chart and #24 on mainstream top40, but it hit the top 5 on the hot digital tracks chart and #6 on the hot digital songs chart, so people wanted and downloaded the track (over 100k the first week and over 150k the week after) sending it to the top 10 on the Hot 100, and radio only gave it a soft push for 2 weeks and then basically dropped it after the third

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThomasW said:

well in the US, GMAYL was not really a radio hit, which is what I think he was asking about, the single got to #28 on BB's Radio songs chart and #24 on mainstream top40, but it hit the top 5 on the hot digital tracks chart and #6 on the hot digital songs chart, so people wanted and downloaded the track (over 100k the first week and over 150k the week after) sendint it to the top 10 on the Hot 100, and radio only gave it a soft push for 2 weeks and then basically dropped it after the third

Okay then, it was a top40 radio hit, which was his question. It was the last time she had a radio chart appearance. It was pushed because of the Super Bowl, which made sense. 

The fact that her last radio chart appearance wasn’t a #1 ubiquitous smash hit is not really a shocker. I’m sure we’d all love for her to have her late-career “Believe”/Cher moment, but ... it makes logical sense that M’s chart peaks would start to slip downward. 

I’ll correct my post above — I said top 10 mistakenly — I meant top 40.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, peter said:

^ And yet ... then she didn’t film a video for Faz Gostoso, and she didn’t even have any tour dates in South America to build on the momentum.

And was Medellín even serviced to radio in those markets? I know you’re talking about streaming (Faz was a moderately popular track for streaming, yes?) ... but clearly there would have been some low-key success on radio just from the featuring players alone. 

The term “single” in reference to Madame X release strategy has never been more confusing. In the past a “single” would have received most of the treatment below (with the exception of a late single — probably wouldn’t be available to download as a preview track). With Madame X, she filmed videos (thankfully!) for songs that were not singles, and yet she didn’t really support the actual singles with the full arsenal.

Music video?

Serviced to radio stations?

Track downloadable prior to album release?

Remixes commissioned?

Remixes available to stream?

Remixes released to consumers via digital platforms for purchase?

Remixes sent to DJs for club play?

Featured in a promo performance?

(Then again, I guess it’s true that it happened plenty of times before that she didn’t film a promo video for every single. So. Maybe I shouldn’t find it so confusing.)

 

Agree 100%. 

It was odd that they didn’t even try but I think after RH sank without a trace after she put the effort in I think she knew she was going to do a very exclusive small tour just for the fans so there was less effort put in to selling Madame X like we got last time round with RH.

Had she of planned another world tour with arenas then all the things you listed would of been done and isn’t expect more promo from her. 

But she was only ever going to do the mini residencies which it at those ticket prices would of only (and did only) attract her hardcore fan base. 

5 hours ago, dario said:

agree with everything you said ..but Maluma is big in Europe too, he tours at big arenas there..look his Instagram he tours around the world..a week before they released Medellin, he released another collab. with Becky G...and it had more than 300 M till date..but that song is very commercial..I think Medellin was not supported on radio, the video is a little dark .... and GP prefer easy music ...like La Respuesta which is very basic..Medellin is so much better than anything Maluma has ever done.

I agree with you. 

I think she trew caution to the wind and made a great experimental pop record without thinking about the masses to much after RH sank. But I do think Maluma have everybody hope for big numbers online but it wasn’t ran with enough and as you say it isn’t a very mainstream friendly song.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, peter said:

Okay then, it was a top40 radio hit, which was his question. It was the last time she had a radio chart appearance. It was pushed because of the Super Bowl, which made sense. 

The fact that her last radio chart appearance wasn’t a #1 ubiquitous smash hit is not really a shocker. I’m sure we’d all love for her to have her late-career “Believe”/Cher moment, but ... it makes logical sense that M’s chart peaks would start to slip downward. 

I’ll correct my post above — I said top 10 mistakenly — I meant top 40.

So she didn't really has a record company that send her songs on radio, so how she's going to have a hit there..maybe GMAYL was only a deal with the Superbowl people....pretty sure they are very powerful and owns lots of stations in the US...She accept the superbowl for free and they have to promote the single through their stations....Still she made a song called Turn on the radio but they don't put her new music... the irony there....

She will never have another hit until she signs with other record company who really push her songs on radio...I only hear her Warner songs every time I go to the mall...I only heard once GMAYL at Cinemark, like couple of years ago..So it does not matter which song will be first or second single 

 

 

Edited by dario
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I clearly remember an interview made during Madame X promotion where Madonna told the journalist that "the album was not that kind of record", meaning it was not the type of album people were going to play it all over in radios, parties and so on. She was quite aware that it doesn't have the commercial appeal of most of her other albums. Of course she Is Madonna, a huge popstar and hence some commercial hooks were needed (the duets, some reggaeton influences...) but not too distracting from the album's main aims.

Edited by stevenflowers
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dario said:

So she didn't really has a record company that send her songs on radio, so how she's going to have a hit there..maybe GMAYL was only a deal with the Superbowl people....pretty sure they are very powerful and owns lots of stations in the US...She accept the superbowl for free and they have to promote the single through their stations....Still she made a song called Turn on the radio but they don't put her new music... the irony there....

She will never have another hit until she signs with other record company who really push her songs on radio...I only hear her Warner songs every time I go to the mall...I only heard once GMAYL at Cinemark, like couple of years ago..So it does not matter which song will be first or second single 

 

 

Radio will not touch her songs, regardless how catchy and good are they. Make peace with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Kilt said:

Radio will not touch her songs, regardless how catchy and good are they. Make peace with it.

I know but the missing record company is an important key there...Record companies push those songs and owns a lot of radios and tv station, magazines...in my opinion, keep blaming her age for the lack of promotion on radio is not exactly a reality...she kept getting hits in her 40s and early 50s and most pop artists are over when they reach their 30s..after warner that ended specially in Europe 

Edited by dario
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dario said:

I know but the missing record company is an important key there...Record companies push those songs and owns a lot of radios and tv station, magazines...in my opinion, keep blaming her age for the lack of promotion on radio is not exactly a reality...she kept getting hits in her 40s and early 50s and most pop artists are over when they reach their 30s..after warner that ended specially in Europe 

I agree with you totally IF we were having this debate a decade ago but she’s in her 60s now and had spent a decade away from the charts.

The boats sailed but I believe as I think you are adhering to the fact that had she of remained with Warner’s she could of enjoyed charts hits well into her 50s like she always had.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I agree with you totally IF we were having this debate a decade ago but she’s in her 60s now and had spent a decade away from the charts.

The boats sailed but I believe as I think you are adhering to the fact that had she of remained with Warner’s she could of enjoyed charts hits well into her 50s like she always had.

It is true as we still enjoying her music and we don't see age, we simply don't get the lack of promotion..I think it worked with 4 minutes... at the beginning it was seen as a joke but after a couple of weeks.. the song was a hit worldwide and triple platinum.. no one cares she was almost 50..They tried to do almost the same with Maluma, this time looking for a hit outside US but the lack of a supporting record company did not help this goal

Edited by dario
Link to post
Share on other sites

Madonna on her own can't get a US hit. Europe is possible if she does something more danceable but everything on Madame X is too "messy" for anyone outside the fandom to consider listening to.

If she wants a hit so badly she needs more female collabs. Her fans are like 80% gay men who want her to collab with other women, which is why M + Anitta was as big as it was, despite being an album cut. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dario said:

I know but the missing record company is an important key there...Record companies push those songs and owns a lot of radios and tv station, magazines...in my opinion, keep blaming her age for the lack of promotion on radio is not exactly a reality...she kept getting hits in her 40s and early 50s and most pop artists are over when they reach their 30s..after warner that ended specially in Europe 

You're romanticizing a lot of the 00's. After American Life, most her chart aside from the leads where in the latter half of the Billboard Hot 100 and beginning with Hollywood, some didn't even chart no matter with a label behind her. Warner and her had several issues that a lot of fans forget where lawsuits came into play and she wanted out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dylanciccone_ said:

You're romanticizing a lot of the 00's. After American Life, most her chart aside from the leads where in the latter half of the Billboard Hot 100 and beginning with Hollywood, some didn't even chart no matter with a label behind her. Warner and her had several issues that a lot of fans forget where lawsuits came into play and she wanted out. 

I know the lawsuits ...but at least the leads went top 10 and other singles a couple of top 100, Europe keep supporting her. Since she left WB her single chart presence is really low you can't have hits only with youtube streaming, you need radio too

Edited by dario
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Still hoping for Madonna to go even more extreme for M15

I want her to go back songwriting with Patrick Leonard and produced by a  a undiscovered producer like Orbit/Mirwais type of producer...not more trap samples and no more collaborations

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Future feat Quavo said:

Madonna on her own can't get a US hit. Europe is possible if she does something more danceable but everything on Madame X is too "messy" for anyone outside the fandom to consider listening to.

If she wants a hit so badly she needs more female collabs. Her fans are like 80% gay men who want her to collab with other women, which is why M + Anitta was as big as it was, despite being an album cut. 

yes Anitta the hit that went away AGAIN! Pretty sure it could have been huge in Brazil and big in Europe, Do you think the did not release it because it was a cover? so she won't get any coins there..you are right female collaboration sells more...

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dario said:

I want her to go back songwriting with Patrick Leonard and produced by a  a undiscovered producer like Orbit/Mirwais type of producer...not more trap samples and no more collaborations

Still hoping for Madonna to go even more extreme for M15

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Still hoping for Madonna to go even more extreme for M15

give us any idea🤭

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dario said:

I know the lawsuits ...but at least the leads went top 10 and other singles a couple of top 100, Europe keep supporting her. Since she left WB her single chart presence is really low you can't have hits only with youtube streaming, you need radio too

In the US, billboard have just downweighted radio's influence on the charts because of changing habits. Also, @Nikki just posted about hearing someone that just left the US music industry and said most top ten hits are now faked by the record companies buying streams.

Madonna doesn't have that kind of support like many older artists. The record companies need artists who will do as they're told.

And Madonna posted that she was waiting for Annita to respond didn't she? 

I'm hoping for more world type music for the next album. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On June 3, 2020 at 3:35 AM, jonski43 said:

In the US, billboard have just downweighted radio's influence on the charts because of changing habits. Also, @Nikki just posted about hearing someone that just left the US music industry and said most top ten hits are now faked by the record companies buying streams.

Madonna doesn't have that kind of support like many older artists. The record companies need artists who will do as they're told.

And Madonna posted that she was waiting for Annita to respond didn't she? 

I'm hoping for more world type music for the next album. 

 

those fake hits are completely forgotten..There are Madonna hits that don't peak charts like La isla bonita and Material girl, still they are bigger than Mariah's 18 no.1....I think it could be more important to have her new songs on radio because of demographics

Edited by dario
Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...