'God Control' should have been the first single from Madame X

Guest eroticerotic

I think a more lyrical Bella Ciao would have been her comeback although even in its final state I think it would have worked with a major video and live perf.

People are responding to....escapist, spaced out, softer vocals. that will be one of the next trends. I think people are getting tired of being shouted at or anything lacking sincere emotion. Adele, Rihanna, Katy, and Beyonce will smash with their next LPs.

8 hours ago, roberMDNA said:

I have the feeling that it was planned as lead single at some point.. is not normal that video for a non-single/maybe 5th single 

Could be, they filmed the video earlier than the Medellin's one. But maybe it's true that i would have been a misleading introduction to the album since it's quite different from the rest sonically.

3 hours ago, eroticerotic said:

I think a more lyrical Bella Ciao would have been her comeback although even in its final state I think it would have worked with a major video and live perf.

People are responding to....escapist, spaced out, softer vocals. that will be one of the next trends. I think people are getting tired of being shouted at or anything lacking sincere emotion. Adele, Rihanna, Katy, and Beyonce will smash with their next LPs.

Ciao Bella is my fav too for a lead single but she is basically a feature on this song. But so what? Still I feel its the strongest song and what ppl would have loved from Madonna. I would love a WHOLE album in this (world music) (ambient) direction. 

God Control while a great trip is more like a rollercoaster of emotions rather than a proper song. Too many things, melodies (all good by the way). It sounds more like a musical than an actual song just like Dark Ballet. I think MX is very artistic, very rounded as an effort, but it had not many lost hit singles UNLIKE Rebel Heart.

14 hours ago, TRVC said:

I just had a hard time with that first single. Madonna looked amazing. ...but I dont know. I can't get through that song 😢 I like songs that have a chorus and a melody that flows nicely. 

You're not alone.

It's too slow and waited forever for the chorus to come in. And when the chorus kicks in, it sounds a little weird.

21 hours ago, DanM said:

Official French Radio Edit:

Also: where are the remixes??? We know they are ready sitting on a computer somewhere.

The violin part at 1.23 very LDLHA... the whispering very "Inside Of Me".

10 hours ago, roberMDNA said:

I have the feeling that it was planned as lead single at some point.. is not normal that video for a non-single/maybe 5th single 

Interesting theory and makes sense. 

2 hours ago, horn said:

Excuse me!? GMAYL made it to top 10! :americanlife: 

it would have been more than just top 10 if the lead single was i'm addicted.

13 hours ago, roberMDNA said:

3 hours ago, Suedehead said:

Interesting theory and makes sense. 

Didn’t she shot the video before Medellín too? It would make sense.

I think this time she and her team chose the correct singles and in the right order. Other thing would be the shitty planning regarding the release dates and promo, like debuting Medellín on a Wednesday instead of a Friday to take advantage of the whole tracking week, waiting another week to upload the video on YouTube, performing a random promo single in Eurovision instead etc etc

Medellin is a great song, and was a good choice for first single ... it shows a new sound for M...but it should have been produced by a top 40 producer. Mirwais is too experimental and his crazy ideas, which I love,  pretty much killed any chance for the single to be big...and also too much Maluma, one part was enough but he has like 3....

God Control is amazing but as a first single it will be like American Life part 2 because of the controversy and Confessions part 2 because of the disco vibe..

Crazy also should have been a great single for radio after Crave

God Control would have gotten the first single controversy with the video (the video/song is about gun control, not sure some fans wanted just the dance scenes, defeats the purpose) which would have been good to jump start the era. But in terms of chart placing and not, it wouldn't have made a dent anywhere outside of the Dance charts unless she did a payola deal which not sure radios would have touched. It does make a statement and when the album was leaking, a lot of casuals did enjoy the song but not sure if it would have fared any better than Medellin outside of YouTube streams or clicks to see the video.

God Control was definitely the first choice for Eurovision, but they rejected it.

1 hour ago, jaspit said:

God Control was definitely the first choice for Eurovision, but they rejected it.

That's true I remember those rumours.. 

Yeah I think on reflection God Control would have been better as the stunning video and statement would have grabbed people's attention more than Medellin which really sort of drifts along and only reaches it's best point towards the end. Fact she opened the tour with it makes me think she would have wanted it as a first single too. To make such a strong high budget video and not release it as a single seems like there would have been change of plan. Record company would have decided to release Medellin because they thought people would pay more attention because of Maluma than and might get more radio support but didn't happen. Wish she would stop these collabs - it might have worked for 4 minutes but has not really worked again since and she is better without having featured artists on her records most of the time but have to say Swae Lee's voice on Crave does sound great with hers.

Medellin was the obvious first single , why people think radio would touch such a political song is beyond me , Radio won't play a new Madonna song .She is way too old for radio , deal with it

Even though I think God Control is the best song on the album, I don't think it represents the album at all. I also don't think it would have been a good 1st introduction to the album. Look what happened with American Life. But to be fair, it doesn't matter what was released. It would have gotten the same response.

11 hours ago, sotos8 said:

Medellin was the obvious first single , why people think radio would touch such a political song is beyond me , Radio won't play a new Madonna song .She is way too old for radio , deal with it

Radio didn't touch Medellin either. Whatever she released they would stay away.

9 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Even though I think God Control is the best song on the album, I don't think it represents the album at all. I also don't think it would have been a good 1st introduction to the album. Look what happened with American Life. But to be fair, it doesn't matter what was released. It would have gotten the same response.

And this is the whole point. Why bother with releasing something that *COULD* maybe in some crazy situation go mainstream for a while, instead of just pushing the buttons like she did her whole career? The whole point of "but Medellin was the most accessible song" is moot because it's more evident than ever that mainstream just isn't there for her new music anymore. Release the goddamn statement tracks, art tracks, etc. Show that you're still that uncompromising ballsy artist you've always been that doesn't suck up and give a fuck. Continue writing the book on how pop works. That's all I'm saying.

No..Though I love God Control,Maluma and his collaboration with Madge got young people got excited in her album.S o,from a commercial view point,releasing Medellin as the lead was a better move than releasing God Control..But they could've made it the immediate second single though

2 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

American Life was the perfect choice for the first single. It represent the album the best. I think Medellín is better option for the first Madame X single than God Control.

Stop thinking in terms of what 'could have worked' for radio and such. From now on a project is a succes when and if

its artistic vision, and thus perception is a SUCCES. So yes GG was a better 1st single, if only 2 avoid  the 'Oh she's

working with a young latin act' now bs. That being said I can't b mad @ Medellin....that video :clap: