'God Control' should have been the first single from Madame X

Change my mind. 

(and yes obviously not in the 6:19 album version but trimmed down to a 3:30 single edit - which reminds me, do we have some kind of fan-made radio edit of this? @dubtronic babes? )

i agree

guess maluma being involved (with medellin) made them go for that song as the single, but GC made more sense (also couldve helped eurovision if she performed it)

4 minutes ago, Hapertje said:

Love Medellin, but that is a great summer jam! She should have done God Control first!

I agree. None of the singles would have much longevity in today's charts world, so they could've gone with the best ones first.

1. God Control in April, a statement song, but still dance friendly, setting up the album as something more than a pop album.

2. Crave in May, radio friendly, nice earworm song, AC radios

(perform these two on ESC + La Isla Bonita & Like a Prayer)

3. Medellin in June, released on the same day as album, real summery vibe, perfect for album release + added exposure from Maluma, let it simmer a while with the general public while they drink coctails on the beach and shimmy their asses to this one.

4. Faz Gostoso in August, grab that Latin hit and truly maximize the streaming potential it had

During tour release Batuka, Dark Ballet as promo singles to keep the era alive (not like these video were much more than that).

It's basically a better release schedule (IMHO of course, you're free to disagree) than what they did and all it's still with videos they filmed anyway (besides FZ). 

Yes. But a reworked song. The potential is there. I can only imagine what DJ Kue would have done with this song if Madonna and Mirwais had called him to the studio. I get Shep Pettibone feelings with DJ Kue. Madonna should work with him as a co producer. 

6 hours ago, DanM said:

Official French Radio Edit:

Also: where are the remixes??? We know they are ready sitting on a computer somewhere.

It’s sad this is official as the edit point is really bad and not even in time.

I suppose. With a less controversial video (obviously keep the disco parts in. LOOOOOVE IT) and the song needs to be reworked so it has an actual flow to it. It kind of just keeps going and going and going. 

It was my fav song from Madame X and it gave me goosebumps when I first heard it, but it is one of the songs (along with Batuka) that I can't really sit through the whole thing without skipping it. Would it have been better than snooze-fest Medellin? absolutely. 

16 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

As if radio touched anything from Madame X anyway 

exactly. We have been doing this whole "she should have released this single first and it would have been a hit" since the American Life days. It's nice to discuss the "woulda coulda shoulda" thing, but we all know any single would have been ignored. 

3 minutes ago, TRVC said:

I suppose. With a less controversial video (obviously keep the disco parts in. LOOOOOVE IT) and the song needs to be reworked so it has an actual flow to it. It kind of just keeps going and going and going. 

It was my fav song from Madame X and it gave me goosebumps when I first heard it, but it is one of the songs (along with Batuka) that I can't really sit through the whole thing without skipping it. Would it have been better than snooze-fest Medellin? absolutely. 

I call shade

6 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

I call shade

I just had a hard time with that first single. Madonna looked amazing. ...but I dont know. I can't get through that song 😢 I like songs that have a chorus and a melody that flows nicely. I'm just an old fart i guess lol. Madame X as a complete album will always be in the top 5 tho

Wasn't it the first video to be shot?

It was the first single probably at one point, but Medellin had more appeal.

I believe, from some of the comments of the people involved, that the God Control video was meant to be a lot more shocking and controversial than it eventually was. That would have been a rather risky situation. Dunno what it would have done to the album.

I'm not 100% sure about it. Yes god control is THE song but release this song first and people would have die listening to madame X and realized this is the only disco vibe song of the whole album. I think God control as a first single would had mislead the people into the wrong direction of what Madame X is.