2007 RIAA Certifications

thebigham

Guest boytoyville

I hope the Dixie Chicks can muster some sales from Grammy exposure. It's their best album. I'm thrilled that it went at least two times platnium.

Guest demitri

when the hell is Confessions going 2x Platinum?!

I'm quite confident it would have shipped 2million copies since it has sold slightly over 1.6million

grrr...

Guest gyllenhaalic

it did this well?????

NO!!!

> Taylor drops 47-53, selling a feeble 14,000 (off 26% from last week). I say "feeble" not to be insulting, but to note that an American Idol champ selling 14,000 in just his fifth week out is an unhealthy sign, and as a fan I really hope a single or other factors will get the album going again. Total is 572,000, which almost assures him the title of worst-selling Idol-winner debut album, now held by Fantasia (1.7 million).

Guest FuckBuddy

NO!!!

> Taylor drops 47-53, selling a feeble 14,000 (off 26% from last week). I say "feeble" not to be insulting, but to note that an American Idol champ selling 14,000 in just his fifth week out is an unhealthy sign, and as a fan I really hope a single or other factors will get the album going again. Total is 572,000, which almost assures him the title of worst-selling Idol-winner debut album, now held by Fantasia (1.7 million).

well, it's a sign that this crap idol nonsense should be put to an end. it's damaged the music industry quite enough, already.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Eternal Flame

And TIC needs to be certified 11x platinum but it's just gonna make Erotica look like a even bigger flop to see her go from 11x platinum to 2x platinum.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

And TIC needs to be certified 11x platinum but it's just gonna make Erotica look like a even bigger flop to see her go from 11x platinum to 2x platinum.

:|

TIC is a GH from her commerical peak period and will continue to sell year after year. Erotics is a studio album, meaning it was destined to have lower catalog sales than TIC and it's catalog sales were then cut off by STR and GHV2.

Guest Eternal Flame

:|

TIC is a GH from her commerical peak period and will continue to sell year after year. Erotics is a studio album, meaning it was destined to have lower catalog sales than TIC and it's catalog sales were then cut off by STR and GHV2.

Well yeah I know that but to the average person it makes Erotica look like a even bigger disaster.

Guest missy bi_tch

Well yeah I know that but to the average person it makes Erotica look like a even bigger disaster.

the average person wouldn;t care

only madonna fans care

Guest Beautiful Stranger

The average person has no idea what "Erotica" is, when it was released, etc. or even what the RIAA is or does.

Guest northernlad

or even what the RIAA is or does.

Let's be fair, they have gotten to be pretty synonymous w/ suing people for dl'ing illegal music. heh

Guest Topaz Scorpio

well, it's a sign that this crap idol nonsense should be put to an end. it's damaged the music industry quite enough, already.

How??? Because now REAL singers are getting recording contracts instead of these manufactured pop twats like Britney and Paris Hilton? Yes, the Idols don't have any creative control at the outset but Kelly Clarkson has proven that once beyond the confines of Idol good music can be produced. She co-wrote a number of the songs on "Breakaway" and I believe that some of the Idols like Chris Daughtry and Kellie Pickler wrote or co-wrote much of their music as well. So whether their music may not be to ones liking, there should be respect for the talent that is there.

American Idol has been a BOON to the music industry. Not only have millions of records been sold by the Idol singers but artists who appear on the show like Prince and Shakira and even Barry Manilow have seen sales increases and songs that are sung on the show (like Father Figure by George Michael last season) have suddenly rocketed up the Itunes singles sales charts.

I think it's a great that a dumb little show like this can get people interested in music again.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

How??? Because now REAL singers are getting recording contracts instead of these manufactured pop twats like Britney and Paris Hilton? Yes, the Idols don't have any creative control at the outset but Kelly Clarkson has proven that once beyond the confines of Idol good music can be produced. She co-wrote a number of the songs on "Breakaway" and I believe that some of the Idols like Chris Daughtry and Kellie Pickler wrote or co-wrote much of their music as well. So whether their music may not be to ones liking, there should be respect for the talent that is there.

American Idol has been a BOON to the music industry. Not only have millions of records been sold by the Idol singers but artists who appear on the show like Prince and Shakira and even Barry Manilow have seen sales increases and songs that are sung on the show (like Father Figure by George Michael last season) have suddenly rocketed up the Itunes singles sales charts.

I think it's a great that a dumb little show like this can get people interested in music again.

Bullshit.

AI is henous. What's so impressive about being able to sing PORTIONS of OTHER PEOPLE'S songs after practicing for that one song for a WEEK?

They don't write, they don't produce, and they don't even dance or perform on the show. Let alone that the female JUDGE is one of the worst singers in the history of recorded music, just like the current artists you just bitched about.

And the hypocrasy of the show. For example, the contestant that was kicked off last week because of a PAST arrest for possession of drugs when Paula can be up on there every night stoned out of her mind or drunk as a redneck hooker while JUDGING the singers.

American Idol's continued success is horrifying and one of the single most embarassing things about the American music industry. They should be making ARTISTS. Not just singers, or cookie-cutter douchebags like Chris Daughtry.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

AI is henous. What's so impressive about being able to sing PORTIONS of OTHER PEOPLE'S songs after practicing for that one song for a WEEK?

#1, the word is HEINOUS.

#2, do you honestly think masses of people would tune in to hear songs that were not recognized? Singing established songs also sets a benchmark to compare against.

They don't write, they don't produce, and they don't even dance or perform on the show. Let alone that the female JUDGE is one of the worst singers in the history of recorded music, just like the current artists you just bitched about.

This is a SINGING contest. Not a songwriting, producing, or dancing contest. Perhaps you failed to grasp the very simple concept of the show?

And yes, Abdul is not my first choice for a judge on vocals, but she WAS a pop idol herself and has that experience to help judge what would make for a successful one. I believe that's why she was chosen. There is a music producer (Simon), a musician (Randy), and an ex-pop idol (Paula).

And the hypocrasy of the show. For example, the contestant that was kicked off last week because of a PAST arrest for possession of drugs when Paula can be up on there every night stoned out of her mind or drunk as a redneck hooker while JUDGING the singers.

Does Paula have a criminal record? That was the reason he was kicked off. I agree that she's acted loopy, but apparently there isn't enough proof to warrant the producers getting rid of her. She is certainly not the reason people watch the show (save for seeing how much of trainwreck she'll be from week to week), so if she had a serious problem I'm sure they'd get rid of her. Of course they'd have to prove it lest they face a nasty lawsuit.

American Idol's continued success is horrifying and one of the single most embarassing things about the American music industry. They should be making ARTISTS. Not just singers, or cookie-cutter douchebags like Chris Daughtry.

Again, as you seem to fail to understand, this is a SINGING contest. They are looking for singers, not musicians, or music producers. If the winner happens to have those abilities in addition to singing then all the better. As I had already stated previously, Kelly Clarkson co-wrote about half the songs on her most recent album, Chris Daughtry plays guitar and wrote or co-wrote many of the songs on his album, and Kellie Pickler wrote or co-wrote songs on her album. Right there are examples of qualities which you say are not being encouraged on the show. You may not care for the type of music that these singers are producing but that doesn't mean it's not selling records. Quality music is a personal judgement. And honestly, to succeed in the crappy American music scene nowadays means to conform and often sound like everybody else. These singers may have to suck it up and produce music that sells as opposed to music that challenges them creatively before they can start to branch out and be more experimental and do things they really want to do. Kelly is a good example of that. No, her second album was not groundbreaking in any way, but it was a definite progression from her generically produced first release and as a result it was much more successful.