COVID-19 aka Coronavirus

Crux

Flights from Italy, Iran and China are STILL landing in UK: Visitors from the three nations with highest coronavirus death toll have landed at Gatwick and Heathrow every day in last week despite UK lockdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139529/Flights-Italy-Iran-China-landing-Britain-despite-UK-coronavirus-lockdown.html

Why is this still happening?

These Australian :manson: 

Coronavirus: Australian beach closed after hundreds gather in defiance of 'social distancing' rules
Bondi Beach was the gathering place for hundreds of people on Friday, despite stricter rules to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Sunday 22 March 2020 05:56, UK

Australia's most popular beach has been closed after hundreds of people gathered there on Friday in defiance of "social distancing" rules.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison had asked Australians not to gather in groups of more than 500 outdoors, while an indoor limit was set at 100.

It was also advised that people stay at least 1.5m away from each other.

So Friday's scenes at Bondi Beach in Sydney sparked anger from many, including Australia's health minister Greg Hunt.

Mr Hunt told reporters that those pictured on the beach had been "putting others at risk".

He added: "What happened in Bondi was unacceptable, and the local council must take steps to stop that from occurring.

"This is all of our responsibility, each of us.

"I would say to everybody, we are all in this together."

On Saturday, Police and Emergency Services Minister David Elliott said Bondi Beach would be temporarily closed, according to a report by the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

Australia has more than 750 confirmed cases of COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus. Seven people have died.

In the US state of Florida, city officials took it upon themselves to close beaches after Governor Ron DeSantis refused to.

It came after pictures of college students enjoying their break by flocking to the state's beaches earlier in the week.

Mr DeSantis had said on Tuesday that he would not close the beaches, despite closing the state's bars and clubs, but he did limit parties to 10 people per group.

But the mayors of Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale, two of the state's most popular beach destinations, had ordered their beaches closed.

Beaches in Tampa and Naples are also closed, along with those in Miami-Dade County.

Florida has more than 500 confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

Globally there have been 272,000 cases and 11,000 deaths.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-australian-beach-closed-after-hundreds-gather-in-defiance-of-social-distancing-rules-11961269

22 minutes ago, Crux said:

Flights from Italy, Iran and China are STILL landing in UK: Visitors from the three nations with highest coronavirus death toll have landed at Gatwick and Heathrow every day in last week despite UK lockdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139529/Flights-Italy-Iran-China-landing-Britain-despite-UK-coronavirus-lockdown.html

What the hell Bozo Johnson is thinking? :manson: 

22 minutes ago, horn said:

I'm fuming, Horn.

...and according to a spokesman for the government - "there is no evidence that interventions like closing borders or travel bans would have any effect on the spread of infection". 

WTF!!

2 hours ago, Crux said:

Lies to blame others once the situation gets dramatic there. No "visitors" are allowed from Italy because the country is locked.

1 hour ago, horn said:

Do people really believe Italian visitors are flying to UK? Most EU countries if not all are locked. If any Italian plane is landing there it will be Britons expats going home.

Emirates Airline will suspend ALL flights except for their cargo from 25 March due to super low demands because of coronavirus .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesasquith/2020/03/22/breaking-emirates-airline-suspends-all-flights/#6bf751a66bd8

Screen Shot 2563-03-22 at 22.58.33.png

Singapore is will not allow short term visitors to enter or even transit through the city -state . The ban takes effect Monday 23.59 local time .

https://www.thejakartapost.com/seasia/2020/03/22/singapore-to-ban-on-all-short-term-visitors-in-new-virus-measures.html

Here in Thailand it's a bit chaotic as the Governor of Bangkok have announced closure of many public spaces such as shopping malls , cinemas , gym , restaurants ( can only provide take away services ) , bars  , clubs etc . They seemed to forget that most people who work in those places are from the provinces and now they are heading back home . So the plan to contain  the virus in Bangkok has largely failed .They didn't think of the consequences or even have a proper plan in place before they announce the closure of all those places . What a mess . 

Stay safe everyone  and try not to go insane . My hanging on by a thread .

Good measures just announced by Germany's central government.

Not a complete lockdown as in Spain or Italy, but a wide prohibition of contacts - meaning you can still go out for basic necessities (supermarkets, drugstores, but all other things closed, including barber shops, cosmetic stores etc), workplace, as well as for sports / taking walks, but only with one other person and a minimum distance of 1,5 meters (that other person doesn't have to be from your family or household - so there's still a minimum of social contacts allowed). However, if you're outside with more than one person, they must be from your family or household or you'll face heavy fines.

Having said that, Germany is a federal country, i.e. the different states within Germany can take stricter measures than what the central government announced, if they feel necessary to do so. E.g. in Bavaria where there's been a big spike in cases, you can only be outside alone or with someone living in the same apartment.

Measures will last for 2 weeks, but I think it's obvious it's going to be longer than this. I'm preparing myself for this situation to last until late April for sure (and probably beyond, however at some point they'll have to lift some measures or there won't be an economy to fall back on anymore)

Anyways, I think it's very rational of the German government to allow people some extent of physical activity and a basis for social contacts, however small it might be. Yes, the spread of the virus must be contained as much as possible, however we should also keep in mind the emotional and psychological ramifications of being isolated for a long period of time. Which in turn can lead to a whole different range of problems - domestic abuse or depression being one of them. So, IMO, this is a good balance of measures - let's hope people stick to them and don't fuck it up with 'Corona parties' and other bizarre stuff like this.

I think Spain took measures late, but watching other countries take decisions sooooo late leaves me at shock. 

Reminds me at those neighbors watching Chernobyl plant burn from the city bridge.

46 minutes ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

Careful. The man is not a doctor, he is crying because he got two audios in WhatsApp saying this. There's absolutely no official source and the elderly are still having treatment, although we don't know for how long, of course. 

But if this helps people in the UK to stay at home it's maybe ok. I don't know but maybe.

7 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

Wow. Here are the consequences 

The fucking Bozo Johnson clown said "I'm giving British citizens another five days to assess whether they understood the two meters apart measure, before we start closing down everything"

Assess??  :semifunny: 

Another five days??

You need to shut everything down NOW you moron. And the NHS in the UK is not exactly on a par with Lombardy's health system

3 hours ago, karbatal said:

I think Spain took measures late, but watching other countries take decisions sooooo late leaves me at shock. 

Reminds me at those neighbors watching Chernobyl plant burn from the city bridge.

Exactly

On a mildly positive note

The Italian curve has registered a downward trend for the first time today since the start of this nightmare

I'm not gonna lie guys, I'm scared.

I have some health issues, and the situation is becoming more scary every day. I've been to the market and the supplies are getting bad. People on TV are saying that millions could die, and my father is very meak right now. If he gets the virus, he's history.

And whenever I stop to think about this, I get very scared. Because this virus speads like nothing we've ever seen. And if we have to keep the whole system in lockdown for too long, it will crumble.

And that's what biggest fear is. We can't sustain food, water, energy and money, if everybody's in lockdown. What are we supposed to do?

7 hours ago, Crux said:

I'm fuming, Horn.

...and according to a spokesman for the government - "there is no evidence that interventions like closing borders or travel bans would have any effect on the spread of infection". 

WTF!!

Absurd isn't it? And this is supposed to be the UK Chief Medical Advisor. His predecessor Professor John Ashton harshly criticised the government attitude to all of this. Even fellow Tory Jeremy Hunt blasted Johnson over it

it´s as if they thought that this only can happen to a poor country or a developing country.Suddenly is in europe: yes, in spain and italy,  a part of the PIGS league in europe...and I´m afraid the virus doesn´t know that this shit is only suppose to happen to the crappy places...the UK, US and germany are going to have huge problems, I´m afraid