Brexit / British politics thread 🤡

Apples388

On 12/13/2020 at 11:33 PM, elijah said:

True, sorry. It was the torries that I meant

They don't just magically appear to run the country. They get voted in despite the fact that everyone knows what they stand for. So yes, you were absolutely right.

On 12/27/2020 at 12:38 PM, karbatal said:

Ok it's weird nobody commented here that there's finally a deal for Brexit. 

It's not that weird. i think myself and Suedehead were the only two actually bothered about the result on here way back when.

And here we are - the hardest of Brexits, with a deal that favours the EU (as it always would), a flimsy trade agreement full of the most stringent obligations that'll result in a neverending cycle of renegotiations from a UK position of structural weakness all dressed up as some sort of 'victory for sovereignty' by the xenophobic English nationalists that voted for it.

A fucking travesty.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

They don't just magically appear to run the country. They get voted in despite the fact that everyone knows what they stand for. So yes, you were absolutely right.

It's not that weird. i think myself and Suedehead were the only two actually bothered about the result on here way back when.

And here we are - the hardest of Brexits, with a deal that favours the EU (as it always would), a flimsy trade agreement full of the most stringent obligations that'll result in a neverending cycle of renegotiations from a UK position of structural weakness all dressed up as some sort of 'victory for sovereignty' by the xenophobic English nationalists that voted for it.

A fucking travesty.

Been following Brexit news here in Australia.   Absolutely appalling.  UK people who now live here are also very vocal about the dreadful deal and how Boris the clown has handled things. Surprised this thread is not pages long. This issue is huge news and on the news constantly 

4 minutes ago, promise to try said:

but do people in the UK realise that the deal is as bad as you say for them?? because on twitter they seem super happy with it!

I'm not sure they seem very happy. There's absolutely no sovereignty in having to meet the EU for almost everything in the future. What I read in Twitter sometimes is stupid people celebrating their "freedom" but they are far less than months ago. In fact, in Guy Verhofstad's posts in Facebook there are no more answers from people of the UK gloating about their future independence. 

It not an easy deal to understand either. For example regular citizens don't usually think of the final services, which in the UK case a big chunk was exports to the EU. Funnily enough the fish is far less important but it was explained by the UK Government as if it was pivotal. Maybe because they were going to "win" in that field and they wanted to present the deal as a success. But the financial services in this deal seem to be a big loss! I read in The Guardian that New York or Singapore will have more privileges in the EU than The City.

Well there's no regulatory provisions for financial services so far, that's still to come next year, and considering the services industry makes up 80% of the UK economy (after the Tories under Thatcher killed off manufacturing lest we forget) the whole thing is really still up in the air. Fishing federations have also already confirmed that the deal they got was absolute shit as well so that was always just a piece of symbolic nonsense.

Now with a PM who's basically allowed to lie over and over with impunity from a compliant media and a populace that's... well.. a bit thick, I'm not surprised that others looking in aren't sure what kind of reaction they're seeing.

Needless to say, we in Scotland, an ancient European nation, aren't in any way "happy" .

1 minute ago, Kim said:

Well there's no regulatory provisions for financial services so far, that's still to come next year, and considering the services industry makes up 80% of the UK economy (after the Tories under Thatcher killed off manufacturing lest we forget) the whole thing is really still up in the air. Fishing federations have also already confirmed that the deal they got was absolute shit as well so that was always just a piece of symbolic nonsense.

Now with a PM who's basically allowed to lie over and over with impunity from a compliant media and a populace that's... well.. a bit thick, I'm not surprised that others looking in aren't sure what kind of reaction they're seeing.

Needless to say, we in Scotland, an ancient European nation, aren't in any way "happy" .

But the UK is a posh magical beautiful place its crime free, corruption free with no gangs or poverty and where everyone acts like the royal family with a cup of old English tea hehee while listening to classy posh music like jazz and Michael buble as shown in the media 

56 minutes ago, Kim said:

As the EU said last year, in Brussels, EU would leave a light for Scotland to find its way home 🙂

18 minutes ago, elijah said:

As the EU said last year, in Brussels, EU would leave a light for Scotland to find its way home 🙂

I sincerely hope so. It's an incredibly unfair situation. 

And the UK being now a third country, it wouldn't mean that countries like Spain would block it out of fear of others declaring independence.  At least I hope so. I would very embarrassed of my country (much more than I already am regarding the Catalonia mess). 

With Brexit and the covid effect on economy and politics, I think that there's bigger possibilities of Scotland being independent.

27 minutes ago, karbatal said:

And the UK being now a third country, it wouldn't mean that countries like Spain would block it out of fear of others declaring independence.  At least I hope so. I would very embarrassed of my country (much more than I already am regarding the Catalonia mess). 

With Brexit and the covid effect on economy and politics, I think that there's bigger possibilities of Scotland being independent.

I do not believe in million years Spain would ever block reentering of Scotland into EU. Its not in any way in Spains favour to block a respected and would be influential member like Scotland.

Boris Johnson's father is applying for French passport to maintain the EU movement privileges 😱😱😱😱

This is getting so ridiculous! 

And Gibraltar will be part of Schengen. The fence will be taken down and Spain will be in charge of the security. FRONTEX will control the coast. 

Johnson posted it as a victory and ALL Brexit followers clapped. I'm thinking hard but I can't understand why they celebrate it: Gibraltar has become a quasi independent state and UK citizens will need a passport to travel there whereas any Schengen EU citizen can freely go! And the British Army has nothing to do there as FRONTEX is in charge! 

32 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Boris Johnson's father is applying for French passport to maintain the EU movement privileges 😱😱😱😱

This is getting so ridiculous! 

And Gibraltar will be part of Schengen. The fence will be taken down and Spain will be in charge of the security. FRONTEX will control the coast. 

Johnson posted it as a victory and ALL Brexit followers clapped. I'm thinking hard but I can't understand why they celebrate it: Gibraltar has become a quasi independent state and UK citizens will need a passport to travel there whereas any Schengen EU citizen can freely go! And the British Army has nothing to do there as FRONTEX is in charge! 

So interesting! One would wonder why Brexit was needed. It made the UK citizens pariah in their sovereign territory (Gibraltar, Northern Ireland) and it fuelled Scottish and Irish independence. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

I seem to recall the Spanish veto myth being debunked a few years back by the Spanish foreign minister (as long as Scotland legally seceded from UK of course)

I think there's now been about 15 or 16 opinion polls in a row showing majority support for indy, which even a couple of years ago would be unprecedented.

The problem at this point is how to get it - as the UK parliament has said they'll refuse to legally recognise any result of a referendum (it only happened in 2014 because indy was polling in the low 20s and they didn't think for a second that it would succeed and got the shock of their lives when it rose to 47%)

So it's probably gonna end up going to a discourse on just how many democratic mandates for change can be ignored in a so-called partnership of equals, a lengthy legal battle, a consultative referendum, and god knows what else. 

Anyway, as an anecdote to the posturing, crowing, jingoistic nonsense going on in the UK parliament yesterday, there's stuff like this...

1 hour ago, Kim said:

I seem to recall the Spanish veto myth being debunked a few years back by the Spanish foreign minister (as long as Scotland legally seceded from UK of course)

I think there's now been about 15 or 16 opinion polls in a row showing majority support for indy, which even a couple of years ago would be unprecedented.

The problem at this point is how to get it - as the UK parliament has said they'll refuse to legally recognise any result of a referendum (it only happened in 2014 because indy was polling in the low 20s and they didn't think for a second that it would succeed and got the shock of their lives when it rose to 47%)

So it's probably gonna end up going to a discourse on just how many democratic mandates for change can be ignored in a so-called partnership of equals, a lengthy legal battle, a consultative referendum, and god knows what else. 

Anyway, as an anecdote to the posturing, crowing, jingoistic nonsense going on in the UK parliament yesterday, there's stuff like this...

I wish Scotland all the good luck. And all the UK people who voted remain and have to endure the situation. 

And I hope the new generation speaks loud and clear in next elections. It really broke my heart when I read that the UK won't be part of the Erasmus program. It changed my life twice (as journalist student and this very summer). I am sure the youngsters will have something to say once their voice can be heard.

20 minutes ago, karbatal said:

It really broke my heart when I read that the UK won't be part of the Erasmus program. It changed my life twice (as journalist student and this very summer). I am sure the youngsters will have something to say once their voice can be heard.

That was another bare faced LIE from the fat clown when he proclaimed Erasmus would remain untouched.

The irony being that the chair of the European Parliament’s education and culture committee in 1987 and one of the founders of Erasamus was the SNP MEP Winnie Ewing (aka Madame Ecosse) and here we are with our own kids now being denied that opportunity. Makes me so mad.

winnieewing.JPG

8 hours ago, Kim said:

Lest anyone forget the real life consequences of this madness. These poor businesses...

Wow

Well I guess Tusk was right when saying London wanted a deal cherry picking what they wanted. I'm sure they were naive to think they could avoid this..

The campaign with lies keeps moving in the UK. Yesterday they falsely informed that Macron was to approve a referendum on leaving the EU. They falsely said too that the UK can eliminate the tax on tampons thanks to Brexit.

But weirdly enough what really went viral was when a couple of brexiters complained to their daughter that they no longer can watch Sky in their house in Spain, where they live. They voted leave while being immigrants (let's use this word always, please) and now they discover that they are not special. 

One user in Twitter said something interesting: people will wake up to reality through these little things. When they discover they can't only stay abroad 90 days out of 180, that they can't stream, that they make long queues to enter a country, that there's no roaming free area. No Erasmus, less food security... 

1 hour ago, promise to try said:

I still don´t get what will happen with gibraltar...if I´m a londoner can I fly to the orck and then come to the iberian peninsula without problems? what is Frontex? is it public or private? is it european or british?

British people will have to present a passport. EU citizens from Schengen area can enter without problem. Gibraltar is now part of Schengen. 

Frontex is the European Union agency responsible of border control.