Brexit / British politics thread 🤡

Apples388

On 5/28/2020 at 9:30 AM, Butter9 said:

The castle looks so much better when you have Covid-19 and while you're driving to test your eyesight with your wife and child as crash dummies .

That interview he gave made the whole thing worse

Absolutely

Talk about clutching at straws. Talk about lying through your teeth. That Scummings press conference was comic and painful to watch at the same time

They must think people are stupid or something. They are trying their best to silence the whole thing. But it will inevitably come back to haunt them and bite them in the ass. Very very soon.

Particularly because over three months since the start of the emergency the UK still has the highest rate of infections and daily deaths in Europe and after the US is the second most 👑 affected country in the world, proportionally it's actually the first

Yet they'd rather open everything now because they are panicking about the economy, an inflated economy whose bubble is about to explode, and that would have happened even without this latest global sanitary emergency

The UK doesn't produce anything anymore (thanks to people like Thatcher and Blair), it is not an industrial power in Europe, the only thing they have is the City of London, but that only works within a EU membership scenario.

Anyone who voted leave has basically contributed to bringing in the final death knell for the economic outlook of the country without realising it, and there's no trade deal with either the US or former colonies that's going to save it, contrary to what many people think

Why do you see those prices in terms of rent and buying in London? Not just because it's "a big city that everyone flocks to". It's one gigantic bubble waiting to explode

England as a whole is however a very different story from London. So much poverty that has accrued over the years 

I'm glad that so many local authorities in other parts of England are opposing and challenging N10 over Monday's reopening of primary schools

As @Kim says,  the people running the show right now are incompetent bastards and that is all there is to say about them. They make Theresa May's government seem shiny and new

41 minutes ago, XXL said:

Absolutely

Talk about clutching at straws. Talk about lying through your teeth. That Scummings press conference was comic and painful to watch at the same time

They must think people are stupid or something. They are trying their best to silence the whole thing. But it will inevitably come back to haunt them and bite them in the ass. Very very soon.

Particularly because over three months since the start of the emergency the UK still has the highest rate of infections and daily deaths in Europe and after the US is the second most 👑 affected country in the world, proportionally it's actually the first

Yet they'd rather open everything now because they are panicking about the economy, an inflated economy whose bubble is about to explode, and that would have happened even without this latest global sanitary emergency

The UK doesn't produce anything anymore (thanks to people like Thatcher and Blair), it is not an industrial power in Europe, the only thing they have is the City of London, but that only works within a EU membership scenario.

Anyone who voted leave has basically contributed to bringing in the final death knell for the economic outlook of the country without realising it, and there's no trade deal with either the US or former colonies that's going to save it, contrary to what many people think

Why do you see those prices in terms of rent and buying in London? Not just because it's "a big city that everyone flocks to". It's one gigantic bubble waiting to explode

England as a whole is however a very different story from London. So much poverty that has accrued over the years 

I'm glad that so many local authorities in other parts of England are opposing and challenging N10 over Monday's reopening of primary schools

As @Kim says,  the people running the show right now are incompetent bastards and that is all there is to say about them. They make Theresa May's government seem shiny and new

The fact that they had to buy sub-standard PPE kits from Turkey says it all. 

The Cummings interview I found very insulting . The fact that he didn't even have to hold that stupid press conference but he did and chose to insult the public's intelligence 

with the most ridiculous lies is pretty shocking . The eye sight test drive being the worst . I mean you have covid-19 so you decide to go for a test drive with your wife and child presumably 

as crash dummies ? 

I lived in UK and mostly London for 20 + years and I love the UK but I don't recognise it anymore . 

Brexit was a real shocker to me because the Leave campaign was based on big fat lies and people kind of bought into it . 

I don't know if it's being reported in the UK but the general public there should be aware that the EU buys now all masks and protection supplies as a big group. That means they have much more force to get sooner all supplies. The UK was invited to take part and they didn't answer back. 

There shouldn't be any shortage now of anything. There's plenty of material even in supermarkets now in the EU.

34 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I don't know if it's being reported in the UK but the general public there should be aware that the EU buys now all masks and protection supplies as a big group. That means they have much more force to get sooner all supplies. The UK was invited to take part and they didn't answer back. 

There shouldn't be any shortage now of anything. There's plenty of material even in supermarkets now in the EU.

Yep, we’re aware of that particular clusterfuck.  We apparently missed the email.  I mean, I’ve used that excuse myself but not when it comes to, you know, life and death.

8 hours ago, Butter9 said:

The fact that they had to buy sub-standard PPE kits from Turkey says it all. 

The Cummings interview I found very insulting . The fact that he didn't even have to hold that stupid press conference but he did and chose to insult the public's intelligence 

with the most ridiculous lies is pretty shocking . The eye sight test drive being the worst . I mean you have covid-19 so you decide to go for a test drive with your wife and child presumably 

as crash dummies ? 

I lived in UK and mostly London for 20 + years and I love the UK but I don't recognise it anymore . 

Brexit was a real shocker to me because the Leave campaign was based on big fat lies and people kind of bought into it . 

Amen to all

It's almost frustrating

Even if you're not a British citizen

8 hours ago, Butter9 said:

Exactly

Double the offence

49 minutes ago, funkydita said:

I’ve used that excuse myself but not when it comes to, you know, life and death.

:chuckle:  👍

1 hour ago, XXL said:

Amen to all

It's almost frustrating

Even if you're not a British citizen

I had an opportunity to be one but I didn't take it . At that point in my life I could not see myself living anywhere but in Thailand .

12 minutes ago, Butter9 said:

I had an opportunity to be one but I didn't take it . At that point in my life I could not see myself living anywhere but in Thailand .

Anyone would die for a British citizenship.

Just ask anyone from Hong Kong.

Not me.... lol

51 minutes ago, horn said:

Anyone would die for a British citizenship.

Just ask anyone from Hong Kong.

Not me.... lol

I did become a resident because you get that offer when I've spent around 12-15 years in UK but when I hit my 20th year I knew I was going to go home so I didn't even bother applying . 

In 1997 , the year HK was being handed back to China there was so much anger and confusion . People were scrambling to get out of HK . UK , I think , had one of the toughest policies regarding immigration and Canada ( the 3 countries people most wanted to migrate to were UK, USA and Canada ) was easier to migrate to . 

If I remember correctly if you have a specific jobs ( like if you're a doctor , lawyer , have money to invest etc ) it was very easy for you to just move to Canada from Hong Kong .

7 minutes ago, Butter9 said:

I did become a resident because you get that offer when I've spent around 12-15 years in UK but when I hit my 20th year I knew I was going to go home so I didn't even bother applying . 

I remember UK allows dual citizenship.

3 minutes ago, horn said:

I remember UK allows dual citizenship.

I don't know but I'm fine with my Thai passport . I love the UK though but I don't think I want to live anywhere else but Thailand .

Brexit however took me by surprised and I was shocked to see some of my friends voted to leave the EU and most of them ( if not all ) ended up regretting their decisions . 

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, karbatal said:

WTF? But Churchill fought the Nazis

They remind me to far right extremists in Spain complaining about living now in a dictatorship. 

Dumber and dumber each day...

There are no words for the perversity and sheer stupidity of doing Nazi salutes in front of a war memorial while chanting "England".  

Bozo's 8 tweet thread yesterday all about Churchill and statues did the job it was meant to do - galvanize his supporters into action. One would almost think they're trying to divert attention away from something else...

UK on track to become 51st state of America under Boris Johnson

image.jpg

Francis Beckett’s article “We’re being fattened up for a one-way deal with Trump” was depressing enough, but added to Boris Johnson’s love for all things American, as quoted in his book Life in the Fast Lane, it becomes extremely alarming.

There is no point in asking Boris to stand up for Britain as he would evidently be happy for the UK to become the 51st state of the union.

A campaign as forceful as that which opposed TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) is needed urgently, and this time the UK won’t have partners in Europe to work with. Conversations with friends and letters to local media must give this wide exposure, as well as pressure on one’s own MP.

The virus will eventually end but a trade deal with Trump’s US will change our politics and society forever. We must resist.

Covid is getting the headlines, but a trade agreement with the US is fast taking shape. And it does not look like a good deal, says FRANCIS BECKETT.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/donald-trump-us-trade-deal-with-uk-1-6689064

Britain is being fattened up for a trade deal with Donald Trump designed to strengthen his chances of re-election in November.

The latest move is the Agriculture Bill, which has passed all its stages in the House of Commons and is due for its second reading in the House of Lords on June 10, and which effectively removes both food standard safeguards and protections for British farmers.

Its significance lies, not in what it says, but in what it does not say. The most important farming legislation in generations, it was the opportunity to replace EU food safety standards and protections for rural industries with a home-grown version.

Neil Parish, Conservative MP for Tiverton and Honiton, tabled an amendment to protect UK farmers from low-standard food imports. It would have prevented future trade deals from allowing food into the UK which was not produced to the standards required of our own producers.

The government ensured its defeat by 328 to 277 votes. Parish could muster only 22 Conservative colleagues to vote for it. And only one brave Conservative MP – Helen Grant, MP for Maidstone and the Weald – voted against the unamended Bill. Conservatives with rural constituencies, who have previously expressed serious concerns about the Bill, fell into line.

A former Ulster Unionist MEP, Jim Nicholson, says it is potentially “the last nail in the coffin for agriculture in Northern Ireland” because “it opens the floodgates to cheap food imports into the UK from around the world. This food will not have been produced to the same standards achieved consistently by farmers in Northern Ireland.”

This means, among other things, the famous chlorinated chicken. An RSPCA report explains: “The problem the EU has with chlorinated chicken is that antimicrobial treatments can be used to compensate for poor hygiene along the supply chain, particularly on farms for example. Ever since 1997, member states of the EU have refused to accept imports of chlorine-treated poultry and this has been a point of contention with the US. The EU maintains that chemical washes are a form of quick-fix covering up for lower treatment standards, including lower animal welfare standards.”

US chickens are raised in such cramped conditions that the only way to stop them arriving on our dinner tables diseased is to dunk them in chlorine  :sick:

The government has pressed ahead despite opposition from all the food producers, including the British Poultry Council and even the National Farmers’ Union, normally a loyal Tory ally. “The most significant deficiency with the Bill is the absence of any commitment or means of upholding British farming production standards in the context of international trade negotiations” an NFU statement says.

“The NFU believes that it would be futile to develop a comprehensive and ambitious domestic support policy, simply for UK farmers’ efforts to be undermined through the importation of products not produced to the same level of environmental or animal health/welfare standards expected of them domestically.”

Farmers Weekly columnist Jacob Anthony puts it bluntly: “The fact that the majority of the people running this country are happy to use agriculture as a bargaining chip has left me and many other farmers furious.

😂😂🤡😱😱😱😱😱

image.jpg

A cargo ship keeps trade going during the Covid-19 lockdown. The government is preparing to complete a trade deal with the US that will hit food standards and British farmers

:semifunny:

On 5/31/2020 at 3:35 PM, Butter9 said:

I had an opportunity to be one but I didn't take it . At that point in my life I could not see myself living anywhere but in Thailand 

I see 👍

You did what you felt was best for you at the time

14 hours ago, XXL said:

Covid is getting the headlines, but a trade agreement with the US is fast taking shape. And it does not look like a good deal, says FRANCIS BECKETT.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/donald-trump-us-trade-deal-with-uk-1-6689064

Britain is being fattened up for a trade deal with Donald Trump designed to strengthen his chances of re-election in November.

The latest move is the Agriculture Bill, which has passed all its stages in the House of Commons and is due for its second reading in the House of Lords on June 10, and which effectively removes both food standard safeguards and protections for British farmers.

Its significance lies, not in what it says, but in what it does not say. The most important farming legislation in generations, it was the opportunity to replace EU food safety standards and protections for rural industries with a home-grown version.

Neil Parish, Conservative MP for Tiverton and Honiton, tabled an amendment to protect UK farmers from low-standard food imports. It would have prevented future trade deals from allowing food into the UK which was not produced to the standards required of our own producers.

The government ensured its defeat by 328 to 277 votes. Parish could muster only 22 Conservative colleagues to vote for it. And only one brave Conservative MP – Helen Grant, MP for Maidstone and the Weald – voted against the unamended Bill. Conservatives with rural constituencies, who have previously expressed serious concerns about the Bill, fell into line.

A former Ulster Unionist MEP, Jim Nicholson, says it is potentially “the last nail in the coffin for agriculture in Northern Ireland” because “it opens the floodgates to cheap food imports into the UK from around the world. This food will not have been produced to the same standards achieved consistently by farmers in Northern Ireland.”

This means, among other things, the famous chlorinated chicken. An RSPCA report explains: “The problem the EU has with chlorinated chicken is that antimicrobial treatments can be used to compensate for poor hygiene along the supply chain, particularly on farms for example. Ever since 1997, member states of the EU have refused to accept imports of chlorine-treated poultry and this has been a point of contention with the US. The EU maintains that chemical washes are a form of quick-fix covering up for lower treatment standards, including lower animal welfare standards.”

US chickens are raised in such cramped conditions that the only way to stop them arriving on our dinner tables diseased is to dunk them in chlorine  :sick:

The government has pressed ahead despite opposition from all the food producers, including the British Poultry Council and even the National Farmers’ Union, normally a loyal Tory ally. “The most significant deficiency with the Bill is the absence of any commitment or means of upholding British farming production standards in the context of international trade negotiations” an NFU statement says.

“The NFU believes that it would be futile to develop a comprehensive and ambitious domestic support policy, simply for UK farmers’ efforts to be undermined through the importation of products not produced to the same level of environmental or animal health/welfare standards expected of them domestically.”

Farmers Weekly columnist Jacob Anthony puts it bluntly: “The fact that the majority of the people running this country are happy to use agriculture as a bargaining chip has left me and many other farmers furious.

😂😂🤡😱😱😱😱😱

Because Bozo Johnson is Orange clown minion and has degraded UK as US 51th state, so he has to agree to whatever Orange clown's demands.

Same thing applicable to US 52th state Canada's Justina Trudeau, US 53th state Australia's Scott Morrison, US 54th state Taiwan's Cai Ying Wen, US 55th stata Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro, US 56th state Japan's Shinzo Abe, & US 57th State France's Emmanuel Macron.

Only China has the balls to tell Orange clown "NO". That's why Orange clown is out to bullying and kill China openly.

15 hours ago, horn said:

Because Bozo Johnson is Orange clown minion and has degraded UK as US 51th state, so he has to agree to whatever Orange clown's demands.

Same thing applicable to US 52th state Canada's Justina Trudeau, US 53th state Australia's Scott Morrison, US 54th state Taiwan's Cai Ying Wen, US 55th stata Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro, US 56th state Japan's Shinzo Abe, & US 57th State France's Emmanuel Macron.

Only China has the balls to tell Orange clown "NO". That's why Orange clown is out to bullying and kill China openly.

Macron is one of the few politicians who stands up to Dumb. France is nowhere near what Dumb USA is. Maybe Obama USA, but not this USA.

I've just watched in Euronews about the US UK deal and a US expert said that the deal would be a big triumph for the UK but it would barely make evening news in the US. "America already has a profitable deal with the UK and this new deal will be to use it against China".

It's so incredibly humiliating! Why on Earth could the UK put itself in that position? If they had agreed on the Euro and Schengen they'd be ruling the EU along Germany and France. Now it's like Mel B trying to get some attention.

23 hours ago, horn said:

I don't know why you keep painting China as some beacon of decency.  Their GOVERNMENT is as corrupt and bullying as any government in the World. Towards other countries and their own citizens.  

On 6/13/2020 at 10:13 PM, karbatal said:

WTF? But Churchill fought the Nazis

On 6/13/2020 at 11:01 PM, Kim said:

There are no words for the perversity and sheer stupidity of doing Nazi salutes in front of a war memorial while chanting "England".  

Bozo's 8 tweet thread yesterday all about Churchill and statues did the job it was meant to do - galvanize his supporters into action. One would almost think they're trying to divert attention away from something else...

The Nazis are supposed to be something the entire world never wants to see again.  An abhorrent evil that killed millions in a World War.  To think that people shouting England are doing Nazi salutes is one of the most revolting and idiotic things I have ever seen.  

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The Nazis are supposed to be something the entire world never wants to see again.  An abhorrent evil that killed millions in a World War.  To think that people shouting England are doing Nazi salutes is one of the most revolting and idiotic things I have ever seen.  

Absolutely idiotic. 

The older I get the more I feel that flags and pride for any mother land  fuels all kind of stupidity in the population. The more critical we are for our countries, the more we watch out bad politics.

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Absolutely idiotic. 

The older I get the more I feel that flags and pride for any mother land  fuels all kind of stupidity in the population. The more critical we are for our countries, the more we watch out bad politics.

True.  Plus this move completely to the right in so many countries is mind boggling.  I fear it is here to stay for a long while and could even get worse. 

5 hours ago, karbatal said:

I've just watched in Euronews about the US UK deal and a US expert said that the deal would be a big triumph for the UK but it would barely make evening news in the US. "America already has a profitable deal with the UK and this new deal will be to use it against China".

It's so incredibly humiliating! Why on Earth could the UK put itself in that position? If they had agreed on the Euro and Schengen they'd be ruling the EU along Germany and France. Now it's like Mel B trying to get some attention.

Because Brexit is about making the billionaire hedge fund owners that funded it even richer. This is why Dominic Cummings was never going to be removed from Downing Street -  that's the reason he's there. They're actively betting AGAINST the UK economy and shorting the pound to make themselves richer. Everyone knows about this, but they don't seem to care.

The nonsense about sovereignty and taking back control and all that rubbish was always a smokescreen.

As for the chlorinated chicken and reduction in food safety standards, everyone knew all about that too and they still voted for it.

Just as Thatcher decimated UK manufacturing and industries in return for the shithole services economy we have today, this lot will have no qualms killing off UK farming to make a quick buck.

There seems to be such indifference and complacency in England about what's going on under their noses, I really don't get it.

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I don't know why you keep painting China as some beacon of decency.  Their GOVERNMENT is as corrupt and bullying as any government in the World. Towards other countries and their own citizens.  

Since when I said China is decent or good?

All are equally bad but Dumpster is even worse.

One gets condemn by the western media while the other almost walk free?

Why the one sided opinion? 

Talk about "bullying", when Dumpster wanna kill Huawei (in order to win the trade war) just because of speculation of backdoor hacking (till this date US has yet to publish any concrete evidence... remember what US said about Iraq WMD?), he told his allies (Australia, Canada, UK, Italy etc) to do so and threaten them that he will impose sanction if they don't follow his order.

This is "bullying".

Mind you, Cisco from US, has 10 times more proven & documented backdoors than Huawei (Remember Snowden? He leaked about NSA planted backdoors in Cisco products, that's why US wanted him dead so badly) but you don't see them accusing Cisco? Why? Because it's a US product and you don't see China banning Cisco.

And when Australia bans Huawei to please his master Dumpster, China had to retaliate to protect themselves instead of allowing others to stab on them freely without any consequences.

This is not "bullying".

Why are Dumpster allies closing one eye on whatever Dumpster had done? Middle eastern countries have worse human rights record than China (Women in China can drive, can be a CEO, can drink, and wear anything they like etc) but you don't see Dumpster condemning them. Dumpster addresses them as an ally openly. Since Saudi is a "friend" of Dumpster, he's also a friend of Dumpster's allies.

And yes, I don't know why you keep painting western countries as some beacon of decency too.

:confused:  Dumpster deal is more important British's health?

Boris Johnson refuses to enshrine laws to keep chlorinated chicken from US out of UK

EXCLUSIVE: US chicken reared in insanitary conditions and then washed in chlorine would be banned under EU regulations but could end up in UK unlabelled if the US deal goes through

ByChris McLaughlin
20:33, 13 JUN 2020

Boris Johnson is refusing to enshrine existing food standards in law to keep American chlorinated chicken off our dinner plates.

The PM is risking a Cabinet split and Tory backbench rebellion as he tries to land a Brexit agreement with President Trump.

US chicken reared in insanitary conditions is washed in chlorine – and red meat is injected with hormones.

Both would be banned under EU regulations but could end up in restaurants, hospitals, fast-food outlets and schools unlabelled if the US deal goes through.

A leaked No.10 memo to ministers recently instructed them to have “no specific policy” on the issue in spite of Cabinet unrest.

Last week Environment Minister Lord Gardiner became the latest to refuse legal protections in an Agriculture Bill debate.

He claimed all imported food would be covered by current standards.

But Shadow Environment Secretary Luke Pollard said: “This does not cover what happens once we’ve left the EU.

"These foods would be banned here but the Government is going to allow them in under the guise of consumer choice.”

“Unless we put our standards into law to prevent the import they will end up on our plates and put British farmers out of business.”

Attempts by Labour to amend current laws have been defeated despite support from 25 Tory rebels.

And Health Secretary Matt Hancock and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab are among Cabinet ministers to have voiced concerns to No 10 over food standards.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-refuses-enshrine-laws-22187782