Coronavirus

MadFan

2 hours ago, Butter9 said:

It's in the news here that London is going to go into Shut Down mode this Friday 20th March .

Military and police are being deployed . 40 tubes stations will be closed as well as most stores .

Supermarkets will stay open for only certain hours and will be guarded by police .

Heard that too on Victoria Derbyshire this morning

3 minutes ago, horn said:

Head to the supermarket and grab whatever you can before the lockdown! :shock: 

Toilet paper toilet paper toilet paper

19 minutes ago, PDC717 said:

One of the most frustrating things about all of this has been how many people are saying, “Why the hell are people freaking out? Why should anyone be worried! The mortality rate is only 3 to 4%!”.

Do these people not realize that even if you knock it down to 3% and assume that only 1 billion people out of the entire global population contract it, that is still 30 MILLION bodies? The societal, cultural and economic ramifications of that will be gargantuan, and last for generations.

And of course you have the idiots comparing statistics from the end of each flu season or even the H1N1 epidemic to the beginning statistics of the COVID-19 pandemic, and saying how much worse those were and thus the media is just trying to “whip us in to hysteria for ratings over nothing”. Evidently calculating the difference in mortality rates and understanding that this IS only the beginning is beyond these people.

Cause math and common sense is beyond many people.  Tons of MN regulars saying the exact thing on this thread alone until I started posting a week ago and now suddenly everyone "knew all along".  Revisionist history at its best.

Pressures on Amazon's staff in France are unacceptable - says France's Finance Minister

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pressures-amazons-staff-france-unacceptable-072929658.html?guccounter=1

Reuters

March 19, 2020, 8:29 am

PARIS, March 19 (Reuters) - Pressures faced by Amazon's staff in France are unacceptable, Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said on Thursday, after the e-commerce giant said it would not pay workers who walked out over fears tied to the coronavirus outbreak

Several hundred Amazon's workers protested in France on Wednesday, calling on the U.S. firm to halt operations or make it easier for employees not wanting to work during the coronavirus outbreak to stay away.

"These pressures are unacceptable, we'll let Amazon know," Le Maire told France Inter radio station, when asked to comment Amazon's attitude toward its workers. (Reporting by Leigh Thomas, Writing by Mathieu Rosemain)

:manson:

13 minutes ago, XXL said:

Pressures on Amazon's staff in France are unacceptable - says France's Finance Minister

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pressures-amazons-staff-france-unacceptable-072929658.html?guccounter=1

Reuters

March 19, 2020, 8:29 am

PARIS, March 19 (Reuters) - Pressures faced by Amazon's staff in France are unacceptable, Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said on Thursday, after the e-commerce giant said it would not pay workers who walked out over fears tied to the coronavirus outbreak

Several hundred Amazon's workers protested in France on Wednesday, calling on the U.S. firm to halt operations or make it easier for employees not wanting to work during the coronavirus outbreak to stay away.

"These pressures are unacceptable, we'll let Amazon know," Le Maire told France Inter radio station, when asked to comment Amazon's attitude toward its workers. (Reporting by Leigh Thomas, Writing by Mathieu Rosemain)

:manson:

Just remember, even after that divorce settlement Jeff Bezos is still worth over $70 billion. Not to mention what the overall company is worth.

14 minutes ago, rebelvvv said:

Cause math and common sense is beyond many people.  Tons of MN regulars saying the exact thing on this thread alone until I started posting a week ago and now suddenly everyone "knew all along".  Revisionist history at its best.

Oh, I was told I was being ridiculous too. Jump two weeks or three weeks ahead and I have a 71-year-old, partially disabled mother living with me since I am her sole caretaker. So I am tasked with keeping myself alive, keeping her alive and after the shit hits the fan in this country in a couple weeks having to survive going out in to the world and keeping us stocked with food and supplies without getting shot by some good ol’ boy Trump supporter gun toting redneck in the process.

Andrew: "By the way, she said I was her favorite. Good news is she said you are her second favorite. Second favorite son, Christopher!”

Chris: "“We both know neither of us are mom’s first or second favorite in the family... I can’t believe you’re lying to my audience. You’ve blown the credibility of the entire interview."

Andrew: “SECOND . FAVORITE . SON”

:chuckle:

1 hour ago, rebelvvv said:

Please.

1 hour ago, horn said:

Pasta

Canned Food

Salad Dressing

Biscuit

Flour

Frozen food

Potato chips

It all will be gone now! Hoarders are fast like a bullet. 

I can happily announce that all bastards hoarding toilet paper in my neighborhood seem to have the house full. I found it today in the supermarket :clap:

1 hour ago, rebelvvv said:

I was incredibly wrong at first, I admit. I woke up once Spanish government declared the alarm.

8 minutes ago, Rebel Saviour said:

Social distacing fully respected I see...So what about Canal+? Is it still making fun of Italian people dealing with the epidemic now?.....

they did that? 😮 how insensitive

13 minutes ago, Rebel Saviour said:

Social distacing fully respected I see...So what about Canal+? Is it still making fun of Italian people dealing with the epidemic now?.....

I know right

That pizza "sketch" was as unfunny as it gets

11 minutes ago, ThomasW said:

they did that? 😮 how insensitive

Yes, they did. Can you believe it? So disgusting.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200303/italian-ministers-furious-at-french-coronavirus-pizza-joke

A French television channel apologised to Italy on Tuesday for airing a mock advert for "corona pizza" in which a coughing chef hacks green phlegm onto Italy's national dish.

18 minutes ago, Rebel Saviour said:

Yes, they did. Can you believe it? So disgusting.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200303/italian-ministers-furious-at-french-coronavirus-pizza-joke

A French television channel apologised to Italy on Tuesday for airing a mock advert for "corona pizza" in which a coughing chef hacks green phlegm onto Italy's national dish.

Fucking vile. And more shocking is that France is going through the same dreadfulness, like all of Europe.

7 minutes ago, elijah said:

Fucking vile. And more shocking is that France is going through the same dreadfulness, like all of Europe.

They're one step behind Spain and two or three behind Italy. When I read that Parisians are traveling as in holiday around the country it reminded me to Madrid people going to the beach or skiing  when the schools closed.

7 hours ago, karbatal said:

I see that stupid Johnson's has changed the strategy. May all deaths provoked by his stupidity be on his conscience forever. 

He does not have a conscience because he is a psychopath. And with him, all of the shitheads who voted for him last December and for the Tories over the last decade.

7 hours ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

🤮

Did they do this for charity or because their over-inflated ego could not contain itself that they had to murder a legendary song for clicks?

@elijah I totally feel you with your posts re/Europe, for me too European unity and the future of EU is something that lies close to my heart, and it's sad to see how many issues we've been tormented with since the past 10 years-ish. The growing populism, the economic crisis (which will most likely flare up again now), the ever-lasting refugee issue, now this thing...and then of course on the outside you have persons like Putin and Trump who eagerly await any sign of instability in Europe so they can weaken and undermine the system.

Having said that, I'm really missing a response to the virus right now on an united European level, with a coherent policy and joint cooperation  - the past weeks have been quite chaotic with every country doing its own thing, like banning the export of masks and medical equipment to other member states. This is not doing the reputation of the EU any favors, especially in Italy...Similar with the sudden border closures of many countries (without notifiying the others), which is causing transport issues and damaging the free flow of goods (for example here the trucks carrying goods between Poland and Germany have been stuck for days because of massive traffic jams)

I understand though this is a first-time situation for Europe, as for most of the world, so it's easier said than done. Hopefully before there's another epidemic on this scale again (which will probably happen some point in the future) we'll have a EU-wide task force who will be able to give a quicker and more united response.