Coronavirus

MadFan

11 minutes ago, horn said:

Coronavirus has no age preference.

There are cases where children as young as 2 years old got infected. Young adults are infected as well.

The virus will attack people with lower immunity.

I know. Just saying i'll prob be in the mild case if (i certainly hope not) get it..

5 hours ago, Paul said:

All true. I've cancelled my holiday (and probably lost about $4000) and going out of my way to stay at home as much as possible and being extra careful when i do go out. I'm not a high risk of significant adverse effects, but very aware that just going out will contribute to spreading it further. And then to see the idiots fighting over toilet paper (in crowded stores) and complaining about cancelled events, or recklessly just going on as normal, and all I can think: these are the people that our sacrifices are protecting.

Finally Australia has taken some serious steps to limit the spread, but we should do more. They keep saying "we're not at the Italy/France/Spain stage yet" .. well, if we dont do more now, we will be there very soon. The number of new cases is growing each day.

I applaud you for waking up and understanding what an issue this is going to be very soon and doing your part.  We all have to, to save people and our poor healthcare workers.

17 hours ago, idro said:

Hope it s gonna work but it takes a lot of time to get a secure vaccine, hope so for everybody, my country s fighting, we are all fighting and I m so sad and quite scared about what s going on. 

You & me both. Take care. 🙏🏻

https://www.roi-nj.com/2020/03/14/opinion/life-at-the-epicenter-of-n-j-s-coronavirus-outbreak/?fbclid=IwAR0_Usa8Y7sza4swMLkzm_dDpT1kg81oNN9cMk0VKxi-23q5FKo1df7o0cI

Eleven cases. Six of which are in the ICU. And 40 more patients under observation.

All at Holy Name Medical Center in Teaneck.

It’s why Holy Name CEO Mike Maron thinks all the attention the coronavirus has been getting in New Jersey — from the school closings, banning of public gatherings, suspensions of pro sports leagues and even the fights over toilet paper and bottled water — is not enough. Not even close.

“There is absolute reason to be extremely cautious, to be very concerned,” he said.

Maron and his staff are working around the clock under the most trying of conditions. The vitally important single-use N95 masks that are needed to care for patients who have been identified — you know, the ones the state is running out of? Holy Name went through 795 of them. Just on Friday. By 7 p.m.

Maron said the past week has been unlike any other in his more than four-decade career.

“I can fall back on my cholera experiences in Haiti, which was devastating, considering the lack of basic medical supplies after the earthquake — and then the other things that came here, everything from MERS and SARS, and even when we ramped up for Ebola — this is unprecedented,” he said.

“I can tell you, it’s real.”

New York state is introducing drive-through testing, following the lead of Washington, California, Texas, Colorado and others. Seven states had introduced it going into the weekend. Plenty more — including New Jersey — are either considering it or getting ready to introduce it.

This concerns Maron. And it’s a concern he has shared with Murphy and Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco.

The tests are so new — and have so little history behind them — that Maron said he’s been told they are 90% accurate at best. And that’s for patients presenting with the known symptoms: fever, respiratory issues, gastrointestinal distress. For those who aren’t, Maron said, the accuracy is much lower.

“Here’s the concerns around lab testing that people need to know,” he said. “One, every sample has to be garnered under strict conditions. So, the sample taker has to be gowned in full PPE equipment. Precautions have got to be taken. You can’t just put up a test and have people show up. Gathering samples is not like swabbing for the flu. So, that slows down the number of people you can effectively swab.

“The second is that all these companies all use different assays to determine the RNA sensitivity to the test. And, because the (Food & Drug Administration) let people fast-track because we need to make more available, we don’t know for sure. I’ve had this conversation with the virologists at LabCorp, and they told me, ‘We don’t know the sensitivity of the test.’

“So, if you’re symptomatic, meaning you have a fever and cough, and I swab you and send that sample in, the accuracy of that is 90%. There’s a 10% chance it’s wrong, which is a pretty big window. This is opposed to the flu test, which is 99.999% positive. We’ve had enough testing on those and they have refined that the processes that they know for sure.

“This is complicated. It’s complex science. And, the best we can tell, it’s only 90% accurate. And there is no evidence whatsoever to indicate it’s otherwise.”

Maron said he’s explained this to elected officials.

“I said, ‘Governor, you do not want to do this,’” he said. “You’re going to give people a very false sense of security thinking they can drive through and get swabbed and say, ‘Oh, it’s negative. I’m clear.’

“That’s not good. That’s irresponsible.”

“What we’ve seen in the patients who ultimately are positive is that things can turn very rapidly. We had a patient that we were thinking about releasing — he seemingly was recovering — and then, two days later, he was put in the ICU. The flu isn’t like that. People need to know this.”

Things are progressing that quickly, he said.

And Maron needs to only look at one of his colleagues to see it.

“One of my employees, who is a beloved guy here, got it in the community and came in,” he said. “We had him in our ER in isolation. We were monitoring him, and the decision was: ‘He seems to be doing a little bit better. We think we’re going to discharge him home under self-isolation and monitor him from there.’ But we wanted to wait another hour or two because we were just seeing a little indication that something’s not right.

“In that two hours, he decompensated so fast. He is one of the ones in the ICU on a ventilator. He’s fighting for his life. It goes that quick.

“That’s what people aren’t seeing. The flu doesn’t do that to you. These people are going from being moderately OK to being on a vent. And the next thing that happens is they start to decompensate, and then you get into organ failure.”

I've honestly been screaming at all these singers (including our dear Madge) falling for the edited videos of Italians singing their songs from their balconies. :lmao::dead:

Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) - the flag carrier of Denmark, Norway and Sweden - announced that the company will suspend most of its international flights as of tomorrow. 90 % of its staff will be sent home on paid leave.

In the next few days, a limited number of international air routes will be upheld to enable travellers to return home from their destinations.

1 hour ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

DISGUSTING

BUSINESS NEWSMARCH 15, 2020 / 7:38 PM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
Germany tries to stop U.S. from luring away firm seeking coronavirus vaccine
Paul Carrel, Andreas Rinke

BERLIN (Reuters) - Berlin is trying to stop Washington from persuading a German company seeking a coronavirus vaccine to move its research to the United States, prompting German politicians to insist no country should have a monopoly on any future vaccine.

German government sources told Reuters on Sunday that the U.S. administration was looking into how it could gain access to a potential vaccine being developed by a German firm, CureVac.

Earlier, the Welt am Sonntag German newspaper reported that U.S. President Donald Trump had offered funds to lure CureVac to the United States, and the German government was making counter-offers to tempt it to stay.

There was no comment immediately available from the U.S. embassy in Berlin when contacted by Reuters over the report.

“The German government is very interested in ensuring that vaccines and active substances against the new coronavirus are also developed in Germany and Europe,” a Health Ministry spokeswoman said, confirming a quote in the newspaper.

“In this regard, the government is in intensive exchange with the company CureVac,” she added.

Welt am Sonntag also quoted an unidentified German government source as saying Trump was trying to secure the scientists’ work exclusively, and would do anything to get a vaccine for the United States, “but only for the United States.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa/germany-tries-to-stop-us-from-luring-away-firm-seeking-coronavirus-vaccine-idUSKBN2120IV

I guess that Germany will probably ended up like Huawei.

If US can't get your technology, they will block you and said you're dangerous. 

If Huawei 5G has 10 backdoors, US Cisco has 100x more than Huawei and this is an open secret.

24 minutes ago, Andra said:

Italy reports 3,590 new cases and 368 new deaths, raising total to 24,747 cases and 1,809 dead

God help us😭

Maybe they are adopting UK strategy? let the 60% get infected and died so that the other 40% can survive? :dazed: 

7 minutes ago, LSD said:

Socially irresponsible.

This is how the virus spread.

Anyway their president said COVID-19 is nothing as compare to seasonal flu, so.....THINK ABOUT IT!

This is a complete fucking nightmare, I feel like I'm dreaming. When I wake up in the morning and reality hits me I feel like crying. I can't believe this is the world right now. I'm so fucking scared for everyone.

1 hour ago, Msig said:

Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) - the flag carrier of Denmark, Norway and Sweden - announced that the company will suspend most of its international flights as of tomorrow. 90 % of its staff will be sent home on paid leave.

In the next few days, a limited number of international air routes will be upheld to enable travellers to return home from their destinations.

10 minutes ago, Andra said:

This is a complete fucking nightmare, I feel like I'm dreaming. When I wake up in the morning and reality hits me I feel like crying. I can't believe this is the world right now. I'm so fucking scared for everyone.

You’re not alone there. I stocked up—Didn’t hoard but too angst-ridden to even eat. Have an intermittent low-grade fever for about 5 days, never getting over 100 (F). It’s really strange. I feel okay, except for my fear. Trying to listen to Madonna and stay positive. 💜 

Please take care of yourselves and each other. 🙏🏻

5 minutes ago, Andra said:

Stay safe @Kelmadfan
and please take care. I hope you will feel much better really soon!

Thank you so very much. And you as well. Stay safe and healthy! 🙏🏻

Just found this article. It’s scary but may give you all some information. 

‪Social Distancing: This is Not a Snow Day by @AriadneLabs https://link.medium.com/vC8pO1ACP4‬

12 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

This is just the beginning of awful things to come. We seriously don’t deserve this world. Be safe!

Yes I have a dreadful feeling about what's "coming next" too. But I also believe the greatest Light gets revealed behind the darkest of clouds

Thank you @Gaudet

Virtually hugging everyone closely affected

On 3/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, MadFan said:

To be fair XXL, while this is obviously not the average Chinese citizen's fault nor should we tolerate sinophobia, the reality is that COVID-19 most likely originated in China's wild animal markets that should have been banned after SARS if not before. They remain a totalitarian state with a dangerous government who have vastly underreported their cases, censored and very likely killed one of their whistleblower doctors and tried to censor others, used propaganda that the US military started the virus, and still have trade in ivory, bear parts, etc. Among their many other crimes against humanity, democracy, free speech, and society. There's nothing exemplary about that.

Nor does the "blame" lie entirely on China. We all have to ask questions and hold our governments (and others) to account.

The South Korean people, leadership and healthcare system appears to be far more competent than the majority of the "first world" countries. They have data, they are using it, and they are moving forward. Once we're all through this we need to ask why we aren't meeting their standards.

We also need to rethink our relationship with meat and the environment, immediately. If we continue to eat and encroach on wildlife habitats mindlessly, we will have more global pandemics to come.

I don't disagree with your post in general terms but the first part with the assertion that China tried to shift the blame on the US it's actually, in origin, the exact contrary, to which justifiably China answered promptly

Among Western nations, the United States of America in particular acts in contempt of most international laws

And the irony of any US politician accusing China of lack of transparency

Washington is not accountable nor transparent, in many regards, especially when it comes to geopolitical interests.

There is a trade and currency war going on between the West and the East of the World, just because China or Russia are autocratic powers it doesn't make our Western governments any less corrupt or deceitful, in much subtler ways of course

From foreign affairs, to acts of military aggressions on sovereign nations without a shred of a UN resolution, self-serving regime change disguised as "democracy exportation" which only fuels more violence and global disruption, and financial manipulation there's a long list of tangible examples of wrong doing to pick from

1 hour ago, LSD said:

Pathetic

If they don't immediately get their heads screwed back on Italy (the only country that applied a total lockdown and much earlier on than anywhere else that isn't China) is going to look like amusement park time by comparison

3 hours ago, horn said:

DISGUSTING

BUSINESS NEWSMARCH 15, 2020 / 7:38 PM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
Germany tries to stop U.S. from luring away firm seeking coronavirus vaccine
Paul Carrel, Andreas Rinke

BERLIN (Reuters) - Berlin is trying to stop Washington from persuading a German company seeking a coronavirus vaccine to move its research to the United States, prompting German politicians to insist no country should have a monopoly on any future vaccine.

German government sources told Reuters on Sunday that the U.S. administration was looking into how it could gain access to a potential vaccine being developed by a German firm, CureVac.

Earlier, the Welt am Sonntag German newspaper reported that U.S. President Donald Trump had offered funds to lure CureVac to the United States, and the German government was making counter-offers to tempt it to stay.

There was no comment immediately available from the U.S. embassy in Berlin when contacted by Reuters over the report.

“The German government is very interested in ensuring that vaccines and active substances against the new coronavirus are also developed in Germany and Europe,” a Health Ministry spokeswoman said, confirming a quote in the newspaper.

“In this regard, the government is in intensive exchange with the company CureVac,” she added.

Welt am Sonntag also quoted an unidentified German government source as saying Trump was trying to secure the scientists’ work exclusively, and would do anything to get a vaccine for the United States, “but only for the United States.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa/germany-tries-to-stop-us-from-luring-away-firm-seeking-coronavirus-vaccine-idUSKBN2120IV

This man should be in trial for crimes agains humanity. Instead of cooperate and help each other... Whoever votes for this guy needs to be put in quarantine FOR LIFE.