Coronavirus

MadFan

11 hours ago, XXL said:

The latest patient diagnosed with the coronavirus in England is the first to catch it in the UK

It is unclear whether this was directly or indirectly from someone who recently returned from abroad, England's chief medical officer said.

The man is a resident of Surrey who had not been abroad recently himself.

It takes the total number of UK cases to 20 and comes after a British man in his 70s became the first UK citizen to die from the virus.

That man, who lived abroad, had been taken to hospital in Japan after catching coronavirus on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which was quarantined off the port of Yokohama earlier this month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51683428

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Active
Cases
Total
Recovered
Serious,
Critical
China  79,257 +433  2,835  +47  37,132  39,290  7,664 
S. Korea  3,150 +813  17  +1  3,109  24  10 
Italy  889   21    822  46  64 
Diamond Princess 705   6    689  10  36 
Iran  593 +205  43  +9  427  123   
Japan  241 +8  5    204  32  20 
Singapore  102 +4      30  72  7 
Hong Kong  93   2    61  30  6 
Germany  79 +5      63  16  2 
France  73 +16  2    59  12  1 
USA  66 +3      59  7  1 
Spain  50 +17      48  2  2 
Kuwait  45       45     
Thailand  42 +1      14  28  2 
Taiwan  39 +5  1    33  5  1 
Bahrain  38       38     
Australia  25       10  15   
Malaysia  25       5  20   
U.K.  20       12  8   
U.A.E.  19       14  5  2 
Canada  16 +1      13  3   
Vietnam  16       0  16   
Switzerland  15       15     
Sweden  12 +1      12     
Macao  10       4  6   
Austria  9 +2      9     
Iraq  8       8     
Israel  7       6  1   
Norway  7 +1      7     
Oman  6       5  1   
Croatia  5       5     
Greece  4       4     
Lebanon  4       4     
Netherlands  4 +2      4     
Philippines  3   1    0  2   
Denmark  3 +1      3     
Finland  3       2  1   
Georgia  3 +1      3     
India  3       0  3   
Mexico  3 +1      3     
Romania  3       2  1   
Pakistan  2       2     
Russia  2       0  2   
Afghanistan  1       1     
Algeria  1       1     
Azerbaijan  1       1     
Belarus  1       1     
Belgium  1       0  1   
Brazil  1       1     
Cambodia  1       0  1   
Egypt  1       0  1   
Estonia  1       1     
Iceland  1       1     
Lithuania  1       1     
North Macedonia  1       1     
Monaco  1       1     
Nepal  1       0  1   
New Zealand  1       1     
Nigeria  1       1     
Qatar  1 +1      1     
San Marino  1       1     
Sri Lanka  1       0  1   
Total: 85,718 1,521 2,933 57 42,999 39,786 7,818
Highlighted in green
= all cases have recovered from the infection. 
Highlighted in grey
= all cases have had an outcome (there are no active cases). 

[back to top ↑]

TRANSMISSION RATE (Ro)
(estimated range)
FATALITY RATE (CFR)
(WHO early estimate) 
2% (?)
INCUBATION PERIOD
(estimated) 
2 - 14 days
COUNTRIES AND TERRITORIES 
(affected by COVID-19) 

Latest Updates

February 29 (GMT): 

EUROPE
  • 16 new cases in France including:
    3 health workers at the Tenon Hospital in Paris who were contaminated by a patient who is in intensive care since Feb. 21. [source] 
  • 2 new case in the Netherlands: "partner and the youngest child of the patient who is in home isolation in Diemen" [source] 
  • 1 new case in Georgia: a Georgian citizen who, having returned from Iran and showing high fever, was immediately taken to Tbilisi Infectious Hospital from the border checkpoint. [source] 
  • 1 new case in Sweden, bringing the total to 12 in the country: 5 in Västra Götaland, 3 in the Stockholm region, 2 in the Jönköping Region, 2 in the Uppsala Region.
  • 1 new case in Norway: an employee at the eye department at Ullevål University Hospital in Oslo, as tests were conducted on 4 staff members with symptoms after that, on Feb. 28, Covid-19 infection was confirmed in a staff member who had traveled to Northern Italy, showed symptoms on Sunday but still went to work on Monday and Tuesday. [source] 
  • 1 new case in Denmark: an employee at the Aarhus University Hospital in northern Denmark. [source] 
  • 5 new cases in Germany. 
    - Feb. 20: Italy's outbreak begins.
    - Feb. 26: “We are at the beginning of a coronavirus epidemic in Germany,” said German Health Minister Jens Spahn, adding that infection chains can no longer be tracked in Germany [source] . The German government saw no need to advise its citizens against travel to Italy [source] 
    - Feb. 28: German government announced that travelers arriving from South Korea, Japan, Italy and Iran must declare their health status upon arrival. Passengers from China were already required to do so.
  • 2 new cases in Austria, (where 1,649 tests were done, with 9, or 0.5%, testing positive) [source] 
    - A couple from the Korneuburg district in Lower Austria. The woman is now hospitalized, the man is isolated at home.
  • 17 new cases in Spain [source] 
    Current distribution and new cases today (+):

13 in the Valencia area (+5)
    10 in Madrid (+5) 
    8 in Andalusia (+2)
    6 in Catalonia (+3)
    6 in the Canary Islands
    2 in Castile and León
    3 in the Basque Country (+1)
    2 in the Balearic Islands (+1)
    0 in Aragon (previous confirmation retracted [source] )

New cases include:
    - a woman in Majorca
    - a 52-year-old woman in Girona who had recently traveled to Italy 
    - man in Sant Cugat del Vallès (north of Barcelona) "who was in intimate contact with one of the previously confirmed cases" as reported by health authorities. 

[ Feb. 29 News ↑ ]

MIDDLE EAST
  • alert.png 1st case in Qatar [source] 
  • alert.png 205 new cases and 9 deaths in Iran [source] 

[ Feb. 29 News ↑ ]

AMERICA
  • 1 new case in Mexico: a man who had traveled to Northern Italy with 2 previously confirmed cases [source] 
  • 3 new cases in the United States: [source] [source] [source] 
    - 1 in Washington State: a 18-year-old student from Jackson High School in Mill Creek with no travel history to an outbreak area who on Feb. 24 had body aches, chills and a headache. After feeling better, he returned to school, before test results came out on Feb. 28. The school will be closed for a few days of deep disinfecting.
    - 1 in Washington State: a woman in her 50s with confirmed travel to Daegu, South Korea. 
    - 1 in Oregon [source]
  • 1 new case in Canada (Ontario): a man in his 80s with a travel history to Egypt

[ Feb. 29 News ↑ ]

ASIA
  • 4 new cases and 3 new discharges in Singapore [source]
  • alert.png 813 new cases and 1 new death in South Korea. [source] [source] [source]
  • 1 new case in Thailand
  • 5 new cases in Taiwan
  • 8 new cases in Japan:
    - 1: a 20-year-old nurse in Tokyo who had contact with a patient who died of coronavirus 
    - 1: a nurse in her 30s in Kochi
    - 1: a men in his 60s in Niigata City
    - 1: a woman in her 60s, a woman in her 30s, and a women in her 20s who work in Sapporo
    - 3: woman in her 90s who lives in Tomakomai
    - 1: a 70-year-old male in Sendai City (Tohoku region) who, having tested negative, got off the Diamond Princess cruise ship on Feb. 20. On Feb. 28, however, he complained of low-grade fever and sore throat. On Feb. 29, he tested positive to Covid-19. He is in mild condition. [source]

13 hours ago, XXL said:

Boris Johnson says UK government is treating coronavirus as its "top priority"

Pfft… we know what his 'top priorities' really are, all involving his flaccid union jack penis...

Shoppers at Whole Foods have gone berserk the past few days. It’s all because of the coronavirus. I’ve never seen it like this. Many of the shelves are empty and the store can barely can keep up with demand. And Amazon Prime members are ordering much much more stuff from online to be delivered to their home because they’re too scared to go outside. They’re all ordering tons of bottled water, hand sanitizer, and cans of soup as if the world is about to end!

2 hours ago, runa said:

M A S S   H Y S T E R I A

This.

The reaction of people, the media and governments is beyond ridiculous and currently more disturbing and dangerous than the virus itself.

Fact: influenza infects about 1 billion people each year and of that number, 250,000 to 600,000 people die each year without that fact making the headlines.

3 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

Shoppers at Whole Foods have gone berserk the past few days. It’s all because of the coronavirus. I’ve never seen it like this. Many of the shelves are empty and the store can barely can keep up with demand. And Amazon Prime members are ordering much much more stuff from online to be delivered to their home because they’re too scared to go outside. They’re all ordering tons of bottled water, hand sanitizer, and cans of soup as if the world is about to end!

Yep. So many items sold out right now both in-store and online. 

I mean, it's not a bad idea to have a little backup stock on some items, but it's getting crazy... Experts say you need at most 2 to 3 weeks worth of supplies if you have to stay home. That's it.

3 hours ago, Martin B. said:

This.

The reaction of people, the media and governments is beyond ridiculous and currently more disturbing and dangerous than the virus itself.

Fact: influenza infects about 1 billion people each year and of that number, 250,000 to 600,000 people die each year without that fact making the headlines.

Couldn't agree more!!

1 hour ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

All those celebrities making IG posts with their masks on ... :rolleyes:  great job adding up to the hysteria

Gwyneth Paltrow reminding the public about her movie Contagion is the worst

volo-U314022507026621D-U3170738954295lgD

American Airlines suspending flights to Milan after U.S. travel warning

Feb 29 (Reuters) - American Airlines Inc said late on Saturday it will suspend all U.S. flights to Milan just hours after the U.S. State Department said it was raising its travel warning for parts of Italy due to the coronavirus outbreak.

American said it will suspend flights to and from Milan, from New York-JFK and Miami through April 24, citing a reduction in demand. On Saturday, the Trump administration raised its travel advisory alert to "Level 4 - Do Not Travel" to Lombardy and Veneto in Italy "due to the level of community transmission of the virus and imposition of local quarantine procedures."

Milan is the capital of the Lombardy region. Vice President Mike Pence said on Saturday that the U.S. State Department will work with Italy to coordinate medical screening of any individuals coming to the United States

25 minutes ago, LSD said:

Lovely.

Flights are being cancelled. Attractions are being closed. Travel advices are being raised. But I don't care ... I'm going to Japan and South Korea in April. You can't stop me, Mr corona-man!

The surgeon general wants Americans to stop buying face masks

By Leah Asmelash, CNN

Updated 11:49 AM EST

Sun March 01, 2020

(CNN)The United States' top doctor has one simple request: Stop buying face masks.

US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams' message, posted to Twitter on Saturday, was a response to face mask shortages as people stocked up due to coronavirus concerns.

"Seriously people," he began, and though it's a tweet, you can almost hear the exasperation in his plea. "STOP BUYING MASKS!"

"They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can't get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!" he continued.

Washing your hands, staying home when sick and other "everyday preventive actions" are the best protections, Adams said. He urged people to get a flu shot, as fewer flu patients means more resources to fight the coronavirus.

The tweet comes during what has become a mask boom. With coronavirus popping up in the United States, some have begun buying face masks as a form of protection, despite the likes of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Vice President Mike Pence saying they're unnecessary.

And, like Adams points out, if these masks run out, they won't be available to the medical professionals who are at the highest risk for disease transmission.

Dr. William Schaffner, a preventive medicine professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, told CNN the rush to buy masks is a "psychological thing."

"The coronavirus is coming, and we feel rather helpless," he said Saturday. "By getting masks and wearing them, we move the locus of control somewhat to ourselves."

Meanwhile, stores across the country have run out of masks. As for online shipments, many orders have been pushed back.

so people in Poland seem to be going a bit crazy too. face masks are selling out for ten times of it's original price. hospitals are actually trying to limit their mask use for "worse" times. anyway, the masks actually don't really work, so. also, been grocery shopping and there are way more people than ever, everyone's making supplies as if a war was coming.

still, more people die because of flu complications?

On 2/29/2020 at 5:37 PM, VogueMusic said:

Yep. So many items sold out right now both in-store and online. 

I mean, it's not a bad idea to have a little backup stock on some items, but it's getting crazy... Experts say you need at most 2 to 3 weeks worth of supplies if you have to stay home. That's it.

This is what the pasta aisle and other sections have looked like the past few days. :lmao: :wacko: Normally those shelves are packed and bursting with product. I’ve never seen anything like this! Even for Thanksgiving and the holidays business volume is nowhere near like this. I’ve seen people acting crazy fighting over getting the last hand sanitizers and jumbo 24 packs of mineral water! :rotfl:

Jesus! For once I’m glad I live in a relatively small town. One little grocery store a few miles away. Sometimes isolation is a good thing. Just me, my iPod, Bose headphones & Madonna’s entire catalog on shuffle. I’m also joining a dating site. 😂😂😂😂 Stay sanitized everybody....get soapy, get soapy, rinse and sing! 

Seriously though. Be safe out there. 🙏🏻

4 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

This is what the pasta aisle and other sections have looked like the past few days. :lmao: :wacko: Normally those shelves are packed and bursting with product. I’ve never seen anything like this! Even for Thanksgiving and the holidays business volume is nowhere near like this. I’ve seen people acting crazy fighting over getting the last hand sanitizers and jumbo 24 packs of mineral water! :rotfl:

People are really panicking! it's insane.

One case now reported within 100 miles of me.   Well I’d still say I have a much greater chance of getting harmed or killed driving too work everyday.  People drive like maniacs by me 😬

Not gonna stop my life.   But conscious of the virus for sure 

Edited by Blue Skies

South Korean sect leader apologizes over coronavirus spread

AFP-JIJI

GAPYEONG, KOREA – The leader of a South Korean sect linked to more than half the country’s 4,000-plus coronavirus cases apologized Monday for the spread of the disease.

“I would like to offer my sincere apology to the people on behalf of the members,” said Shincheonji head Lee Man-hee, his voice breaking.

The 88-year-old twice got down on his knees to bow before reporters in Gapyeong, his head to the floor.

“Although it was not intentional, many people have been infected,” he said.

“We put our utmost efforts but were unable to prevent it all. I seek the forgiveness of the people.

“I am very thankful to the government for its efforts. I also seek the forgiveness of the government.”

Lee is revered by his followers as the “Promised Pastor” who will take 144,000 people with him to heaven on the Day of Judgement, and his group is often condemned as a cult.

A 61-year-old female member developed a fever on February 10 but attended at least four church services in Daegu — the country’s fourth-largest city with a population of 2.5 million and the center of the outbreak — before being diagnosed.

South Korea’s case numbers are expected to rise further as authorities carry out checks on more than 260,000 people associated Shincheonji.

Seoul’s city government has asked prosecutors to press charges, including murder, against him and 11 other sect leaders for failing to cooperate in containing the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

Lee insisted that the group was “actively cooperating with the government.”

“We will do our best and not spare human and material support,” he added, pausing occasionally to wipe tears from his eyes as protesters shouted abuse.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/02/asia-pacific/south-korean-sect-sorry-coronavirus/#.Xl0wqiVMGaM

On 3/1/2020 at 7:34 PM, XXL said:

And, like Adams points out, if these masks run out, they won't be available to the medical professionals who are at the highest risk for disease transmission.

So the masks are useless to the general public, but they are useful to medical professionals? After he just said they offer no protection?

Lotsa propaganda and misinformation out there. But I’m still cancelling a conference I was to attend (and meet my Congressman) in DC in a few weeks. I’ve been advised by my doctor I’ve got a “compromised immune system” because of my low weight. She advised against travel, especially meeting in groups and using mass transportation. So that really sucks, but I’d rather be lonely than sick or worse. Living in a smaller town does have its advantages....but it’s bound to hit here too.