Coronavirus

MadFan

Here in Milan very few people in the streets, even in the centre. Yesterday people rushed to supermarkets to stockpile on food

Most sporting events have been suspended, the Duomo Cathedral cannot be visited, the Mayor has issued a restrictive order on clubs, theatres and restaurants. Schools and all Universities in Northern Italy on lockdown till Monday March 2nd

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

46 minutes ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

Its hell šŸ˜­šŸ¤®

Remember, you must rest.

Take meds for fever.

Always monitor your temperature.

Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated.

Force yourself to eat even if you don't have the appetite 'cos you need the energy to fight back.

1 hour ago, horn said:

Remember, you must rest.

Take meds for fever.

Always monitor your temperature.

Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated.

Force yourself to eat even if you don't have the appetite 'cos you need the energy to fight back.

Ā 

šŸ‘

Again a great demonstration of the collective hysteria triggeredĀ and fueled by misinformationĀ ofĀ social media. TheĀ coronavirus is less contagious and deadly than the ANNUAL flu strain.

A few days ago aĀ newspaper had the headline that best sums it up:Ā The risk of contracting mass hysteria is much higher than coronavirus

1 hour ago, Martin B. said:

Again a great demonstration of the collective hysteria triggeredĀ and fueled by misinformationĀ ofĀ social media. TheĀ coronavirus is less contagious and deadly than the ANNUAL flu strain.

A few days ago aĀ newspaper had the headline that best sums it up:Ā The risk of contracting mass hysteria is much higher than coronavirus

A bit of sanity in this thread. Thank you Martin.Ā 

4 hours ago, Rebel Saviour said:

I understand people are worried, but this is getting out of control....

Ā 

Totally agree sweetie

People are overreacting. Panic in these cases is never the answer. And most of the media is guilty of amplifying fear

Just switch on any TV channel. Let's not even go into the discussion of social mediaĀ 

Precautions must be taken yes, obviously, but psychological terrorism will only add damage to an already disturbing and never-before-seen situation

3 hours ago, Martin B. said:

Ā 

Thank you

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2020/feb/20/doctors-hiv-ebola-drugs-coronavirus-cure-covid-19

Ā 

Screenshot_2020-02-25-04-27-57-522_com.a

Ā 

Doctors are likely to know within two to three weeks whether drugs being used to treat patients infected with the new coronavirus are working, according to the World Health Organization.

The timetable for early results from two trials taking place in China is short but feasible because of the large concentration of sick people at the centre of the outbreak in Hubei province. That allows a significant number of people of similar ages, fitness and stage of illness to be compared.

The drugs have been approved for other conditions, which means they do not have to undergo safety tests in animals and then humans.

Two trials were expedited on the recommendation of the WHOā€™s experts. Patients in one are being given Kaletra, taken by people with HIV. The drug is a combination of two antiretrovirals, lopinavir and ritonavir. Scientists are awaiting the results from the first 200 people to be treated with it.

The other drug in trials is remdesivir, made by Gilead. It was tested during the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2018 but it was not sufficiently effective against that virus.

The new trial of remdesivir will be ā€œgold standardā€ and investigate how well it works in moderately and severely ill patients compared with others given a placebo.

The WHOā€™s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said at a briefing on Thursday there would be preliminary results within three weeks. The drugs chosen have been prioritised by the organisationā€™s research and development experts.

A third drug, the antimalarial chloroquine, which was being used in China, was not in trials, the WHO said.

Tedros said the international team led by the WHO, now in China, was discussing with frontline workers the efficacy of various treatments. It was important to test and diagnose people promptly, he said, because ā€œthe earlier patients are tested and treated, the better they doā€.

The team includes experts from several countries, including the US ā€“ despite tense Washington-Beijing relations over trade. Others are from Germany, Japan, Nigeria, Russia, South Korea and Singapore.

There are no proven therapeutics for Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, just as there were none for Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome). Kaletra is being trialled in Mers (Middle East respiratory syndrome) but the cases are too few to get results quickly.

Tedros said the team was pushing ahead with a vaccine for the long term but it could take about 18 months.

There are 74,675 cases of Covid-19 in China and there have been 2,121 deaths. ā€œThe data from China continues to show a decline in new confirmed cases. We are encouraged by this trend but this is no time for complacency,ā€ the WHOā€™s director general said. Outside China there had been 176 cases in 26 countries and seven deaths, he said.

He urged the international community to help fund the fight against the disease.

ā€œBecause of the serious measures that China is taking, the number of cases in the rest of the world is small. But it doesnā€™t mean that the small number of cases in the rest of the world will stay the same for long.ā€

The WHO issued an appeal to raise $675m (Ā£524m) because ā€œthe finance is still lowā€, Tedros said.

10 hours ago, Martin B. said:

I agree. The healthy habits to prevent flu are perfect for Coronavirus as well. There's no reason "to sack" supermarkets.

3 hours ago, horn said:

I guess Italian men are too proud to admit that they are sick and think that putting on a mask is a sign of weakness hence the massive spread of COVID-19 virus.

Same goes to Korean men.

Mmmmmm, I don't think that's the case. It has nothing to do with a supposedĀ Ā macho attitude of italian and south korean men, LOL.Ā I guess some victims just thoughtĀ that they had a normal flu and understimated the danger at the beginning of the global emergency.Ā 

On 2/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, XXL said:

Ā 

I know and I agree. I'm sorry about your two friends loss. I understand the concerns we all have when these situations arise.

My point was more about the reasons behind this type of events occurring in the first place and I wasn't referring to you in particular with the "don't believe everything the media sell us" partĀ  šŸ˜€

It's a general issue. We live in a dogmatic, sheep/hive mentality society that immediately dismisses the alternative as odd and impossible. Fear fuels this type of society for those that are on top administering the masses. Kind of like with Brexit and the NHS bus and all that propaganda. And all the immigration bs talk and "US regaining OUR sovereignty"

Or when "philanthropist" George Soros made a Ā£1bn profit out of the London Stock Exchange collapse in the early 90s. The same guy who today finances so called NGO ships that are turning the Mediterranean sea into a cemetery

Dogma is dangerous. Regardless whether it comes from religion or science, two faces of the same coin, or of the same con perhaps I should say

I understand what you mean and I was not offended in anyway whatsoever .The point I was trying to make was we all have to be extra careful and to take precautions if you have to visit risky areas ( in Asia the countries that have high confirmed cases are China , S.Korea , Japan , Hong Kong , Singapore , Thailand ). In Europe the biggest outbreak is as of now in Italy but the virus has also spread to the Middle East with Iran being the country with most confirmed cases .

Don't worry I'm not coming to here to say " Omg the Chinese have cooked up the virus in a lab and was planning to use it as biological warfare ( I read that on social media ) ." or " Go and rob a supermarket the plague is coming ! "Ā 

I'm just saying doĀ be careful and do take precautions if you have to travel to countries which have been affected because you might be out into quarantine upon your arrival back in your hometown .Ā 

PS. The fist friend of mine who died from Bird flu . I was in high schoolĀ and his parents were expats living in Hong Kong . He flew back to visit his parents during the one of the holidays and never came back . I found out later that he had eaten some chicken feet and got really sick but he thought it was just food poisoning and did not seek treatment . He never came back after that vacation.Ā 

I lost my ex bf to SARS and went to pay my respect by visiting his family just right after it had stopped . Hong Kong was like a ghost town back then . It was so eerie and awfully quiet for a city that's usually vibrant and lively .Ā 

1 hour ago, Butter9 said:

The fist friend of mine who died from Bird flu . I was in high schoolĀ and his parents were expats living in Hong Kong . He flew back to visit his parents during the one of the holidays and never came back . I found out later that he had eaten some chicken feet and got really sick but he thought it was just food poisoning and did not seek treatment . He never came back after that vacation.Ā 

I lost my ex bf to SARS and went to pay my respect by visiting his family just right after it had stopped . Hong Kong was like a ghost town back then . It was so eerie and awfully quiet for a city that's usually vibrant and lively .Ā 

Ā 

This is just awfulĀ  šŸ˜ž

1 hour ago, Butter9 said:

I understand what you mean and I was not offended in anyway whatsoever .The point I was trying to make was we all have to be extra careful and to take precautions if you have to visit risky areas ( in Asia the countries that have high confirmed cases are China , S.Korea , Japan , Hong Kong , Singapore , Thailand ). In Europe the biggest outbreak is as of now in Italy but the virus has also spread to the Middle East with Iran being the country with most confirmed cases .

Don't worry I'm not coming to here to say " Omg the Chinese have cooked up the virus in a lab and was planning to use it as biological warfare ( I read that on social media ) ." or " Go and rob a supermarket the plague is coming !"

Ā 

But of course

I agree on the precautions front

We should never take anything for granted

Ā 

Especially when you don't exactly know where something is coming from, how it originated, how it spread in the first place, the odd and sometimes unlinked chain of contagions, some people are asymptomatic and some have tested positive then negative again and since the genome has been isolated but there's no internationally patented, standardized testing system and no medicine known to cure it or any vaccine available yet

All I'm saying is the Italian media is overdramatizing the entire situation and people are generally already inclined by nature to fall prey of panicking and fear.

Ransacking supermarkets on a Sunday afternoon was not justified, if anything, given how this virus supposedly spreads, aerobically, it was the dumb thing to do for all those people to flock to a single space and to share it for hours and hours of unjustified frenzy as if we were on the brink of WW3 and no food would be going to be available for a while

Even the head of the main and internationally esteemed Milan laboratory where they have been tirelessly processing thousands of tampons day and night during the past five days has also expressed grave concerns about how the Italian media specifically is handling and representing the entire situation

8 hours ago, Rebel Saviour said:

Our media don't create anxiety, do they?

tumblr_p3mx5wqkQM1uzk1o3o1_400.gif

Risultato immagini per Barbara D'Urso Live gif sigla

Risultato immagini per Barbara D'Urso Live gif sigla

:lmao::rotfl:

Ā 

She's the worst of the worst

Really

I have no more words for this overpaid clown

Ā 

conte-durso-638x425.jpg

Ā 

ƈ passata da dare del lei a dare del tu e poi di nuovo del lei al primo ministro della quarta economia europea e sesta nel mondo nel giro di cinque minuti, gesticolando come una scema col suo (brutto) vestitino rosa e i suoi riflettori accecanti, persino sottolineando che lei "per fortuna" ha aggiunto, la domenica sera ha milioni e milioni di ascoltatori.

Ā 

Questa ĆØ la cultura che abbiamo in Italia. Calcio e Barbara D'Urso. Poi la gente si lamenta ...

I have someĀ cousins in northern Italy not far from the outbreak cities. I'm a little worried, but I try not to focus on thinking the worse can happen. It's also kinda confusing to know what is exactly happening. Know that governmentsĀ don't want millions of people panicking across the globe.Ā 

Ā