Coronavirus

MadFan

I was in Beijing this week for three days and it's pretty much a ghosttown. Not sure if it's because of the virus, the New Year celebrations or a combination of both.

They are saying it's cross bred of bat and snakes that were sold at the seafood market in Wuhan . You can buy live koala , Porcupine and other exotic meats there as well .

It happened during the Chinese NY celebration ( third week of Jan onwards ) ( I don't believe that. I think they knew about it and it happened prior to Chinese NY and they did try to contain it

but fail .

Thailand is second on the list of countries with confirmed cases . Unlike Taiwan , UK and even Hong Kong our government is too greedy to cancel any flight from Wuhan or cities in China

confirmed cases . Now 16 airlines around the world have canceled their flights to China .

https://www.businessinsider.com/airlines-canceling-changing-flights-to-china-amid-coronavirus-fears-2020-1

They are saying they could contain it and the Health minister is saying that they are doing a great job as they keep finding people who have contracted the virus ! He is also saying

that we couldn't stop people from Wuhan from traveling around Thailand as it was their right . I mean WTF .

It's pretty serious if China canceled the Chinese New Year celebrations in major cities .

On 1/30/2020 at 3:32 AM, Butter9 said:

Thailand is second on the list of countries with confirmed cases . Unlike Taiwan , UK and even Hong Kong our government is too greedy to cancel any flight from Wuhan or cities in China

confirmed cases . Now 16 airlines around the world have canceled their flights to China .

https://www.businessinsider.com/airlines-canceling-changing-flights-to-china-amid-coronavirus-fears-2020-1

They are saying they could contain it and the Health minister is saying that they are doing a great job as they keep finding people who have contracted the virus ! He is also saying that we couldn't stop people from Wuhan from traveling around Thailand as it was their right . I mean WTF .

Would be much appreciated if Thailand could get it sorted before my three week jaunt there at the end of February.  Krabi airport is screening people, right?

53 minutes ago, funkydita said:

Would be much appreciated if Thailand could get it sorted before my three week jaunt there at the end of February.  Krabi airport is screening people, right?

We are screening all international airports . Are you arriving via Bangkok ? If so you will be screened there first . I don't think it will be sorted in 3 weeks to be honest .

WHO just declared it a global emergency so it probably be months before they sort everything out . Do bring face mask and hand santitiser .

42 minutes ago, Butter9 said:

We are screening all international airports . Are you arriving via Bangkok ? If so you will be screened there first . I don't think it will be sorted in 3 weeks to be honest .

WHO just declared it a global emergency so it probably be months before they sort everything out . Do bring face mask and hand santitiser .

Nope, I’m arriving at Krabi from a connection in Doha and then straight on a long tail to Koh Jum.  I’ve been going to the island for at least ten years, it’s really quiet and tends to be mostly German, Russian and Scandinavian and a rare Brit I tend see.

Yep, I watched the whole of the WHO press conference last night, do you think I really need a mask?

3 hours ago, Kelmadfan said:

Why do these viruses always originate in China?

Probably has a lot to do with this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZYFmxKKldGr5KMJvwduY

19 hours ago, funkydita said:

Nope, I’m arriving at Krabi from a connection in Doha and then straight on a long tail to Koh Jum.  I’ve been going to the island for at least ten years, it’s really quiet and tends to be mostly German, Russian and Scandinavian and a rare Brit I tend see.

Yep, I watched the whole of the WHO press conference last night, do you think I really need a mask?

You'll be screened at Krabi . I suggest wearing face mask in public area at all time and wash your hands after getting off any form of transportation as we've just had a first man-man case where a Thai taxi driver picked up a Chinese tourist at an airport and contacted virus from that person . The taxi driver had never been to China . 

Yes you do need a mask. Probably several masks . Better to be cautious and careful . 

Ps. The Chinese NY celebration was between 21-17 Jan so there would have been tons of Chinese tourists in Krabi so so take extra measure and be careful .

16 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

They’re disgusting. This is the cause:

That is the Langowan market in Indonesia.

Virus has been isolated in Italy:

Coronavirus isolated at Spallanzani "New opportunities for treatment"

Coronavirus has also been isolated from Spallanzani in Rome [Lazzaro Spallanzani National Institute for Infectious Diseases]. Ten days ago it had been isolated in China but, the Italian researchers explain, the Chinese had not distributed it. The isolation had also been carried out in Australia and at the Pasteur Institute in France.

Health Minister Roberto Speranza announced the results in Italy at a press conference. "Having isolated the virus means having many opportunities to study, understand and better verify what can be done to stop the spread. It will be made available to the whole international community. Now it will be easier to treat it."

"Now the data will be available to the international community. Spaces are open for new diagnostic tests and vaccines. Italy becomes the reference partner for this research". explained the scientific director of the Spallanzani Institute Giuseppe Ippolito.

full article link: https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/02/02/news/coronavirus_virus_ultime_notizie_spallanzani-247384310/

On 1/30/2020 at 3:32 AM, Butter9 said:

They are saying it's cross bred of bat and snakes that were sold at the seafood market in Wuhan . You can buy live koala , Porcupine and other exotic meats there as well .

It happened during the Chinese NY celebration ( third week of Jan onwards ) ( I don't believe that. I think they knew about it and it happened prior to Chinese NY and they did try to contain it

but fail .

They are saying they could contain it and the Health minister is saying that they are doing a great job as they keep finding people who have contracted the virus ! He is also saying

that we couldn't stop people from Wuhan from traveling around Thailand as it was their right . I mean WTF .

It's pretty serious if China canceled the Chinese New Year celebrations in major cities .

A friend of mine is involved with this and I was with her and a friend of theirs who also works on viruses.

It's likely it's a pig or bird related from the markets similar to SARS. It's more infectious than SARS but less lethal, 2% versus 10%.

7 hours ago, jonski43 said:

A friend of mine is involved with this and I was with her and a friend of theirs who also works on viruses.

It's likely it's a pig or bird related from the markets similar to SARS. It's more infectious than SARS but less lethal, 2% versus 10%.

Yes less lethal than SARS and more curable  but I've read that it was from a bat . God knows it was like a cross contamination issue.

I had to go and work in Hong Kong just after the SARS outbreak had stopped . It was like a ghost town .

Like Bird Flu /H5N1 ( 1997 ) ,and SARS (2002-2003 ) the Coronavirus did orginate in Mainland China but Swine Flu/ H1N1 ( 2009 ) originated from USA with a  the more recent MERS originated from the Middle East and Ebola ( 2013-2016) originated from Africa .

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/01/coronavirus-outbreak-sars-swine-flu-viral-history.html

2 hours ago, Butter9 said:

Yes less lethal than SARS and more curable  but I've read that it was from a bat . God knows it was like a cross contamination issue.

I had to go and work in Hong Kong just after the SARS outbreak had stopped . It was like a ghost town .

Like Bird Flu /H5N1 ( 1997 ) ,and SARS (2002-2003 ) the Coronavirus did orginate in Mainland China but Swine Flu/ H1N1 ( 2009 ) originated from USA with a  the more recent MERS originated from the Middle East and Ebola ( 2013-2016) originated from Africa .

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/01/coronavirus-outbreak-sars-swine-flu-viral-history.html

I mentioned the bat to them too but they dismissed that. I think that's social media making assumptions. 

I know it's probably a question of habit and a cultural issue. But it always amazes me how there's actually people who eat insects, reptiles, bats, koala and even dogs or cats in certain parts of the world. Then again I eat veal and cows are sacred in India etc

19 hours ago, Gaudet said:

Virus has been isolated in Italy:

Coronavirus isolated at Spallanzani "New opportunities for treatment"

Coronavirus has also been isolated from Spallanzani in Rome [Lazzaro Spallanzani National Institute for Infectious Diseases]. Ten days ago it had been isolated in China but, the Italian researchers explain, the Chinese had not distributed it. The isolation had also been carried out in Australia and at the Pasteur Institute in France.

Health Minister Roberto Speranza announced the results in Italy at a press conference. "Having isolated the virus means having many opportunities to study, understand and better verify what can be done to stop the spread. It will be made available to the whole international community. Now it will be easier to treat it."

"Now the data will be available to the international community. Spaces are open for new diagnostic tests and vaccines. Italy becomes the reference partner for this research". explained the scientific director of the Spallanzani Institute Giuseppe Ippolito.

full article link: https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/02/02/news/coronavirus_virus_ultime_notizie_spallanzani-247384310/

Great result :clap: