Australia's devastating fires

Heartbreaking Horrible time for Australia.  These pictures say it all.  :cries: All of Australia is heart broken.  Deaths and people unaccounted for.   So much beautiful land and homes destroyed.  Entire towns decimated .   The shocking and massive loss of so many of our native animals who have nowhere to go.  Firefighters battling so hard who are heroes - volunteering their time to save others.  Some who have lost their lives saving others.  

Smoke billows from a fire burning

Raging bushfires

A kangaroo rushes past a burning house

A red sky from bushfires

I'm in true despair. And I have had nothing impact me directly. This is a catastrophe. So much devastation. Humans can get out if they need to, but the animals can only run for their lives, with no real understanding of what is happening. How our land recovers from this, I don't know. Not a drop of meaningful rain this summer. It's so hopeless 😢

8 minutes ago, San said:

I'm in true despair. And I have had nothing impact me directly. This is a catastrophe. So much devastation. Humans can get out if they need to, but the animals can only run for their lives, with no real understanding of what is happening. How our land recovers from this, I don't know. Not a drop of meaningful rain this summer. It's so hopeless 😢

Feel your pain San.  It terrifies me even more knowing that Jan, Feb and March are always our hottest months and so much more to come.  

Australia has learnt from Black Saturday where 170 died in one day by staying and trying to defend their homes.  Glad that people are now virtually forced to leave. There is no way that someone can fight a fire so fast, intense and boiling.  But as you said,  the beautiful animals have nowhere to go.  The beautiful bushland and trees.  Melbourne city was shocking today - the smoke and smog was everywhere.  As you have experienced in Sydney.   To see the city like that,  one can only imagine what the people in country areas are experiencing as the fires are at their doorsteps and near.  Just devastating and truly heart breaking.  

@Jazzy Jan you guys are now surrounded by fire like Sydney was, with the east and SA on fire. The smoke is really sickening and creates a sense of panic even where there aren't fires. Most of the bushland around sydney has been destroyed now, so maybe the smoke won't get so bad here anymore. Rain is still weeks away. We need some kind of miracle, that's for sure.

I've been following the fires on my local TV news and every scene is heartbreaking: people who lost their homes, wild animals that can't be saved, it all is so sad.

Did Australia already ask for international help?

You can't pass a TV screen here without seeing it - it's really awful and sadly will continue to happen (and worse) if climate change keeps being ignored.

I hope your citizens are less docile than Canadians are... 😞

Exactly one year ago I travelled through Australia for one month and immediately fell in love with everything I saw. The fires are horrifying and I really feel for people losing their homes and so many animals dying. It’s truly sad and I wish that it will get better ASAP.

I'm very sorry Jan. The animals, plants and of course population. 

I don't know what to say. I live in a country where big fires are a problem too. The only thing that I've learned from all that is that we shouldn't think in our human time lapse, but nature's one. Fires are part of the cycle of life (in Australia certain trees only reproduce when there's fire). The problem is that we humans have destroyed so much land that somehow we can't afford fires.

Its heartbreaking. I saw horrible, horrible pictures. Animals dead... People... Is it really true that 0.5 milliard animals have died????? If that is true, its an absolutely Armagedon. Unfortunately I think it has something to do with global warming, we are not doing enough. No-one does, but especially Asia, China and India to be more specific... Something must be done, there are no words to describe how many precious lives have been put to the end. Not only people, but so many animals.... I ve read that thanks to global warming half of Thailand is expected to be under water till 2050. I think it was Washington Post. Its... indescribable.

1 hour ago, elijah said:

Its heartbreaking. I saw horrible, horrible pictures. Animals dead... People... Is it really true that 0.5 milliard animals have died????? If that is true, its an absolutely Armagedon. Unfortunately I think it has something to do with global warming, we are not doing enough. No-one does, but especially Asia, China and India to be more specific... Something must be done, there are no words to describe how many precious lives have been put to the end. Not only people, but so many animals.... I ve read that thanks to global warming half of Thailand is expected to be under water till 2050. I think it was Washington Post. Its... indescribable.

We were warned 30 years ago but nobody took notice. We're being warned now and still some powerful people deny all this. 

26 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This shows the heart break and despair so beautifully and simply 

No photo description available.

I'm so sorry Jan. I will write you tomorrow because Jari and I have been concerned about you and your city. 

It's been excruciatingly heartbreaking.

American firies have come to help. Our ADF have been deployed to help in any way required including evacuating people by ship.

Currently everyone has been accounted for. A father and son were found perished in their car trying to escape and another death was from cardiac arrest.

Sadly the figure being thrown around is about half a billion animals dead. Not only is it our wildlife but all the livestock.

Friday alone, one animal rescue centre received 20,000 phone calls.

The devastation continues and its expected to continue for another 8 weeks.

Sorry for the graphic nature of the pics.

The red photo is about 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

wildfire-1-ap-er-200102_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

ENEoncNU8AAGRdY.jpg

1880734902c0d3b2268f123d8f9edb2a452cbb70.jpg

4043367dd313ad51ee0afe13afd4fd95.jpg

22936632-0-image-a-21_1578029885512.jpg

This is horrible. 😭 I feel so sad for all those affected by the fires. Seeing all this devastation is just heartbreaking. And the thousands of poor animals that are being killed just makes it so much more painful to witness. The poor creatures can't even understand what's happening.

6 hours ago, karbatal said:

We were warned 30 years ago but nobody took notice. We're being warned now and still some powerful people deny all this. 

True. And if the predictions are true, it’s gonna get much harder to reverse the effect as the days pass by without doing nothing.

The fires are so devastating.  Every state in Australia - every single state - has a bushfire.  Estimates that over half a billion animals have perished and our vulnerable koalas population is at an all time low.  Australia's beautiful unique animals - how they are suffering so dreadfully.  It makes me cry with despair. . Towns being lost, people losing their homes  It is just horrific.   I went for a walk this morning at 6 am and could smell the smoke everywhere and I live in the city.   People have been evacuating and leaving early as they know there is no hope for them to defend their homes.  Such a shocking, horrific and heart breaking start to 2020 for Australia.  

13 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The fires are so devastating.  Every state in Australia - every single state - has a bushfire.  Estimates that over half a billion animals have perished and our vulnerable koalas population is at an all time low.  Australia's beautiful unique animals - how they are suffering so dreadfully.  It makes me cry with despair. . Towns being lost, people losing their homes  It is just horrific.   I went for a walk this morning at 6 am and could smell the smoke everywhere and I live in the city.   People have been evacuating and leaving early as they know there is no hope for them to defend their homes.  Such a shocking, horrific and heart breaking start to 2020 for Australia.  

It really is horrific. The loss of our beautiful animals just breaks my heart.

It has been raining steadily here in Melbourne overnight (which is great of course), but it is the most bizarre thing. The rain is washing the smoke out of the atmosphere and dumping it on the ground as miniscule particles of ash. The smell of burnt ash is so overpowering this morning and we live 200kms from where the closest large fires are in Victoria.

devastating so scary

truly hope Australia will be given the resources to control the fires

Comedic Celeste Barber has raised over $20 million in a matter of days and yet the Australian government can't do anything

just deplorable leadership