J.K. Rowling Faces Criticism for Transgender Comment

MadFan

22 hours ago, Drowned World said:

The plot sounds very similar to Brian De Palma's film Dressed to Kill.

Love that film

On 9/15/2020 at 12:58 AM, LSD said:

:madgemanson:

What's wrong with this woman ? I feel like she's using her HUGE platform to actually bully the trans community into accepting HER fact that  they are in fact men and not women and shouldn't be entitle to ANY right whatsoever .

What an arsehole .

From Vanity Fair and I kid you not ....

What a hill to die on...

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/09/jk-rowling-transphobia-new-novel-troubled-blood-controversy

J.K. Rowling Proves Her Commitment to Transphobia in Her New Novel

Cynthia Nixon also called out the Harry Potter author for her “painful” anti-trans comments.

No longer satisfied with simply repeatedly expressing her transphobic opinions on Twitter and in 3,600-word screeds on her personal website, J.K. Rowling now appears to be bringing her TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminist) logic to a bookshelf near you via her new fictional novel, Troubled Blood, out Tuesday.

According to an early review in The Telegraph, Troubled Blood—the fifth installment in Rowling’s Cormoran Strike series written under the pen name Robert Galbraith—deals with the cold case of a woman who disappeared in 1974 and is believed to be the victim of Dennis Creed, “a transvestite serial killer.” (Transvestite is considered an outdated and derogatory term for cross-dressing, which is not the same as being trans.) The review goes on to say, “One wonders what critics of Rowling’s stance on trans issues will make of a book whose moral seems to be: never trust a man in a dress.”

This also isn’t the first time Rowling’s anti-trans opinions have found their way onto the pages of this particular series. In the second Cormoran Strike book, The Silkworm, a woman named Pippa stalks detective Strike before attempting to stab him. Strike traps her in his office, revealing her identity as a trans woman, with Rowling adding in a description of her Adam’s apple and hands. The detective then tells Pippa that prison “won’t be fun for you.… Not pre-op.” (Rowling’s representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.)

3 hours ago, Junior said:

She just keeps going and going with this.

I looked at the shop and couldn't find them. Where are they? They just had T-shirts saying "Lesbians against Racism".

It's so incredibly sad to me that someone can have such a huge platform and massive wealth and choose to divide instead of unite.

Did an ex-boyfriend of hers leave her for a transwoman? I just do NOT understand the bitterness! 

Transwomen are not trying to "erase" women as she claims. That's the biggest load of shit ever. 

She's gonna become a liability to her own reactionary dogma like Graham Linehan did. Dropping the syrupy pretense and plausible deniability and going full sadistic (or even sociopathic, as it increasingly looks) goes against the TERF handbook. Maybe they won't care when she opens the cheque book and throws enough of her millions into "the war effort", though.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:16 AM, LSD said:

She's gonna become a liability to her own reactionary dogma like Graham Linehan did. Dropping the syrupy pretense and plausible deniability and going full sadistic (or even sociopathic, as it increasingly looks) goes against the TERF handbook. Maybe they won't care when she opens the cheque book and throws enough of her millions into "the war effort", though.

Well all the millions come from the Potter franchise. Her other books are big fat flops. Nobody will read the new one.

10 hours ago, karbatal said:

Well all the millions come from the Potter franchise. Her other books are big fat flops. Nobody will read the new one.

Her latest book (5th in the series) sold 65K on the first 5 days.

Biggest single week sales for her serial killer series.

Her 1st & 2nd sold 1.5m across all formats (print, audio, e-book). Not really a flop.

1 hour ago, horn said:

Her latest book (5th in the series) sold 65K on the first 5 days.

Biggest single week sales for her serial killer series.

Her 1st & 2nd sold 1.5m across all formats (print, audio, e-book). Not really a flop.

She sold hundred of millions. Her followers don't give a damn about her recent work. 

• 1 year later...

J.K. Rowling ruffles feathers again, slams cops for letting rape suspects ID as women

By Andrew Court

December 13, 2021 10:40am Updated

jk-rowling-women.jpg?quality=90&strip=al

J.K. Rowling is causing controversy again, again wading into the debate about transgender people by criticizing Scottish police for allowing rape suspects to self-identify as female. 

The “Harry Potter” author — who has previously been accused of making transphobic comments  took to Twitter on Sunday by sharing an article from The Times of London titled: “‘Absurdity’ of police logging rapists as women.”

“War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength. The Penised Individual Who Raped You Is a Woman,” Rowling wrote, referencing “Newspeak”in George Orwell’s “1984.”

She then linked to the news article, which stated, “Police Scotland said that they would log rapes as being carried out by a woman if the accused person insists, even if they have not legally changed gender.”

Thousands of fans immediately hit out at Rowling, with many accusing her of having an unhealthy fixation on trans issues.

“You literally have a castle and you spend your time doing this,” podcaster Rob Rousseau wrote. 

“What a weird hill to die on Rowling,” producer Brett Erlich added.

A third chimed in saying that Rowling was focusing her attention on the wrong part of the story about rapes in Scotland, highlighting her prejudice and fixation. 

“The vast majority of sexual assaults are committed by men who don’t identify as anything other than men. Perhaps you might consider using your public profile to combat this instead?” they stated. 

The 56-year-old author was first accused of transphobia last June, when she poked fun at an article titled: “Creating a more equal post-COVID-19 world for people who menstruate.”

“People who menstruate,” Rowling mocked. “I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?”

She later insisted “sex is real” before being described by critics as a TERF, or Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist. 

Rowling was lambasted by “Harry Potter” actors, including Emma Watson. She was also excluded from an upcoming HBO Max special celebrating the fantasy films. 

However, that hasn’t stopped the Scottish author from expressing her views.

Many women are concerned about the challenges to their fundamental rights posed by certain aspects of gender identity ideology,” Rowling stated in a Good Housekeeping interview last December. 

However, in her latest dust-up, Rowling also received praise for her comments — with many prominent Twitter users thanking her for having the “courage” to speak out. 

“Thank you for calling out the insanity,” Canadian political commentator Lauren Chen wrote.

“Your tweet is brave,” journalist Andy Ngo said. 

“Thank you. You have no idea how important your voice is, or how much it means to women and girls,” columnist Susan Dalgety responded. 

Rowling told Good Housekeeping last year that she’s been inundated with supportive messages for her controversial stance, saying she’s received a flurry of letters since speaking out on trans issues — more than 90% of which reportedly have been positive.

5 hours ago, Cyber-Raga said:

Interesting she chooses to die on that hill. Despicable. I’m not gay, but have near and dear friends in my life who identify as men even though they were born in a female body. Appalling what she says about them. Evil cunt. 

And so totally uncalled for. 

It really is evil to make such a loud crusade against one of the most vulnerable groups in our society. Absolutely shameful. 

10 hours ago, Junior said:

“Thank you for calling out the insanity,” Canadian political commentator Lauren Chen wrote.

Lauren Chen is a far right extremist, a fucking dumbass. She's Marjorie Taylor Green best friends.

It says a lot about her supporters. I wouldn't be so proud of myself if I was her. 

She's the worst indeed. Makes me want to vomit. 

9 hours ago, runa said:

Lauren Chen is a far right extremist, a fucking dumbass. She's Marjorie Taylor Green best friends.

It says a lot about her supporters. I wouldn't be so proud of myself if I was her. 

A number of the folks supporting her in that article, and in general elsewhere, are right-wing/MAGA types, or crazy-ass fringe libertarians, or folks generally bordering on the cruel and nasty.

So...not surprising. And says a lot.

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2021 at 7:13 AM, runa said:

And Andy Ngo is a right wing agitator of the highest order

"My PTSD makes me feel that this must be true, my feelings would never lead me to a wrong belief" was the entire [logically fallacious] foundation of Rowling's rambling essay. 

Indeed.

I'm sure she caught her partner looking at a transsexual once or something equally ridiculous and she got very insecure about her own womanhood from that point onwards.

It's a cruel irony that an author who made herself a billion dollar fortune writing about a character who was an outsider and was made fun in for being different, is now using her platform to put down a section of society who themselves are persecuted by people because they too feel like outsiders. 

I can't understand why she has chosen this battle to tarnish and ruin her once impeccable reputation.  Such a shame that a woman who inspired a generation of children to read and whos books taught the importance of  team work and recognizing each other's differences,will forever be tarnished by her outdated views.